Online ammunition sellers who will ship to Chicago

McCroskey

Cola, I'm glad to hear you like LG, but maybe you can start another thread for them. This thread is a list of sellers who ship to Chicago and Cook. LG isn't helpful here and may confuse readers.

I contacted aimsurplus.com about shipping ammunition to Chicago and here's what I wrote:

Hello! I spoke to the manager there about how the Chicago city ordinance changed after concealed carry passed and all local laws were preempted and ammunition shipping to Chicago is not illegal anymore. Chicago recognized this and changed the ordnance to allow ammunition sales to Chicago. Was told to send documentation so the compliance department can review it. I'm sending a copy of the ordinance and a link to Illinois carry where this issue is discussed and there's a long list of retailers that ship ammunition to Chicago. Check out page number 22 (actually page 24 of the pdf). The ordinance is 8-20-100. The language was rewritten banning transfers/sales of firearms at gun shows. The prior language banning transfer of ammo was totally struck. Also preemption covers any rifle caliber that is used in a handgun.

It seems like they have it backwards and saying FCCA preemption is for laws enacted before it became law instead of after and they are confusing FOID with FCCL and are using "inconsistent" as an excuse. What Officedrone or anyone else thinks and what I should say in reply?

Here's the reply I received:

Thank you for your inquiry about ammunition being sold in Chicago. We appreciate you sending over the information you have, it is actually information we have read many times before and have reviewed it for possible policy change. However, we are still unable to sell ammo directly into the city of Chicago. As a reference, on the pdf of the ordinance you sent over you'll notice under Section 2, 4-144-010 under License Required: "It shall be unlawful for any person to engage in the business of selling or othenvise transferring any ammunition without securing a weapons dealer license to do so." We do not have a Weapons Dealer License in the city of Chicago and therefore cannot sell ammunition there. There are also a few other reasons why we feel we cannot complete such a transaction. Rather than list them myself, I will include a disclaimer from another ammo vendor's website (Lucky Gunner) where they do a good job of specifying why:

We appreciate the concerns and efforts many have made in advancing Second Amendment rights. Despite those advancements, we still do not believe we can sell ammunition to Chicago residents for the following reasons:

430 ILCS 65/13.1. "Preemption" clearly states that it will only preempt any ordinance or regulation enacted on or before the effective date of Public Act 98-63—and that effective date is July 9, 2013. This same Section also states that any ordinance or regulation existing prior to July 9, 2013 is only preempted if it imposes regulations or restrictions on a FOID holder that are "inconsistent" with the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act or the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

On September 11, 2013, the City of Chicago passed O2013-6015, new legislation designed to continue to curb Second Amendment rights. Because this legislation was passed after July 9, 2013, it is not preempted under 430 ILCS 65/13.1. Moreover, to be preempted, O2013-6015 would have to impose regulations or restrictions on a FOID holder that are "inconsistent" with the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act or the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

Under O2013-6015, only an ammunition retailer with a weapons dealer license can sell ammunition within Chicago. Please refer specifically to Municipal Code section 8-20-100 (which has been changed from the previous version titled "Permissible sales and transfer of firearms and ammunition" to "Sale or transfer of firearms or ammunition prohibited"). For various reasons, we believe it would jeopardize our privacy and the privacy of our customers to obtain a weapons dealer license from the City of Chicago. Any ammunition retailer who sells ammunition inside Chicago or to a customer located inside Chicago without a weapons dealer permit is subject to a fine of at least $1,000, and/or incarceration for 20-90 days.

We deeply regret that the City of Chicago continues to burden your Second Amendment rights, and burden our ability to meet your ammunition needs, with the threat of jail time. We are currently having outside counsel evaluate alternative ways of supplying ammunition to customers within Chicago that do not involve compromising anyone's privacy or the risk of jail time for our officers.

--

Chris Day

Compliance Director

AIM Inc.

888-748-5252

I had forgotten all about AIM Surplus, but yes, as you found out, they have an ultra-paranoid and incorrect interpretation of the ordinance. The "weapons dealer license" thing is for gun shops in the city, it has nothing to do with mail order IMO. That part of the ordinance specifically says "selling in the city". Mail order companies aren't selling anything in the city.

I definitely appreciate your efforts here, and I'm sorry you encountered the same thing I did many months ago. It does sound like people have been contacting them left and right.

The following should be considered lost causes at this point.

Midway

Lucky Gunner

Bulkammo

AIM Surplus

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't confirmed it but Massammo.com doesn't list any restrictions for Chicago aside from a 15 round magazine limit for long guns, which leads me to believe they're up to snuff on the laws. And, of course, a FOID on file.

State restrictions are here: http://massammo.com/index.php/terms-and-conditions/

Home page: http://massammo.com/index.php/

And I have to say their prices look very good! Less for a 50 round box of .40 Federal HST than most places charge for a 20 round box.

Those are nice prices, Chislinger. And they also have a $12.99 flat shipping for all orders, so you could really load up and get a great deal. Let me know if you decide to contact them or place an order with them!

• 3 weeks later...

Correct. Unfortunately PSA are not on board. I really do think that eventually these holdouts will change, but in the meantime they'll lose our business to the large list of vendors happy to do business with us.

How can they even ship to my FFL?!

Basically, you would need to call the FFL and have them place the order for you. Then the FFL would "sell" you the ammo after they received it... which is ridiculous, of course, because if selling ammo in Chicago were illegal then the FFL wouldn't be able to sell it to you either. So if you're going by their incorrect logic that selling ammo to Chicago residents isn't allowed, what they're telling you to do is just as illegal. These last few holdouts are more on the paranoia side than the thinking side...

Again, my solution is to buy as much ammunition from Underwood Ammunition as possible. Downstate Illinois located, employs people from this state, don't give a fraction of a flat rat's dehydrated @ss if I live in Chicago, and send me all kinds of free shipping and deals via e-mail. Their prices are excellent, too, for what I have found is the best ammunition you can buy.

Point of note, I am in no way affiliated with Underwood, I have simply bought several thousand dollars worth of their ammunition and I want to make sure they get as much business as possible, so I can keep on buying from them!

which companies ship ammo to your workplace?

None of them do. They're required to ship to to the address on your FOID...

Yet for some reason several prompt you to enter a different address for shipping. Meaning they're willing to break a real law but not an imaginary one, go figure.

That's a perfect example of how poorly many people truly understand the law. It also explains why a couple places simply refuse to ship anything to Illinois at all (easier not to than to have to figure out the crazy laws here).

I remember it being part of the foid act but also remember someone posting that some company shipped somewhere else. Was curious about that. I prefer to buy my ammo locally and not worry about such things. A few bucks more is worth it to me for the peace of mind.

You have Brownell's on the list; however, their website says they won't ship to the zip codes beginning with 606. All of Chicago's zip codes begin with 606. Is this an example of the retailer just not updating their site or have they changed their mind?

See strelok's post on this thread from September 15. He contacted them and they agreed that those zips were no longer restricted. I imagine they're just slow to update their website.

How can they even ship to my FFL?!

Basically, you would need to call the FFL and have them place the order for you. Then the FFL would "sell" you the ammo after they received it... which is ridiculous, of course, because if selling ammo in Chicago were illegal then the FFL wouldn't be able to sell it to you either. So if you're going by their incorrect logic that selling ammo to Chicago residents isn't allowed, what they're telling you to do is just as illegal. These last few holdouts are more on the paranoia side than the thinking side...

Sorry I edited my post. I meant to say how can they NOT even ship to my FFL.

Not true. I order from ammo supply warehouse and target sport USA. Target doesn't even require an FFL. Both ship to whichever address you want. I live in Chicago but my work is in Dupage.

I asked Freedom Munitions about shipping to different address and she said as long as my FFL address matches my credit card billing address they could do that.

Not true. I order from ammo supply warehouse and target sport USA. Target doesn't even require an FFL. Both ship to whichever address you want. I live in Chicago but my work is in Dupage.

I asked Freedom Munitions about shipping to different address and she said as long as my FFL address matches my credit card billing address they could do that.

According to the FOID act:

Any resident may purchase ammunition from a person within or outside of Illinois if shipment is by United States mail or by a private express carrier authorized by federal law to ship ammunition. Any resident purchasing ammunition within or outside the State of Illinois must provide the seller with a copy of his or her valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card or valid concealed carry license and either his or her Illinois driver's license or Illinois State Identification Card prior to the shipment of the ammunition. The ammunition may be shipped only to an address on either of those 2 documents.

I don't know what the potential repercussions of disregarding this and getting caught are but it's up to each of us to act in whatever manner we deem responsible. For others here considering it, I don't recommend it.

Archived