Online ammunition sellers who will ship to Chicago

McCroskey

Thanks Googe. Midway have been really inconsistent on this for some time. They do ship ammo to Illinois, but are not consistent at all regarding shipping to Chicago.

They were one of the first companies I listed here, as I successfully mail-ordered ammo from them in the past (and I live in the city proper), however I removed them after others here complained that they were denied. Followups to Midway by myself and one or two others weren't very satisfactory, either, as their reps just sidestep the issue and give non-answers to direct questions, and seem unwilling to bump the e-mail up to upper management. Depending on what rep you speak to, they may or may not send your ammo to you, and for that reason, until we have something absolute from them that confirms their policy allows ammo shipments to Cook County and the City of Chicago and that all their reps are up to date on that, I'm going to keep them off the list.

I definitely appreciate your work on this, though.

I have pestered them in the past. Not so much lately. I find it curious that they are now sending out unsolicited emails to Illinoisans (including Chicagoans) telling us that we can buy ammo from them.

A barrage of unsolicited e-mails to a bunch of people sounds to me like a possible issue with their mailing list where someone pressed a button they shouldn't have. If you want to like contact them to confirm that the e-mail means they'll ship ammo to Cook County and the City of Chicago and that their reps are all aware of this policy, I'll be happy to re-add them to the list. Because of the previous problems with their waffling and inconsistency, I'm hesitant to trust anything they say. I want for this list to be as accurate and up-to-date as possible, and don't want any more people upset because they ordered something from a vendor on the list and were then rejected (in one case someone was even forced to pay a ridiculous restocking fee).

Well, I reached out to them via email and this was Midway's response:

Dear ,

Thank you for your recent email. I apologize but at this time we are unable to ship ammunition to Chicago regardless of the FOID card. We always side with caution when it comes to these kinds of things but I will forward this information on double check the legality. I hope this information has been helpful to you.

If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-243-3220. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT. You may also email us at customerservice@midwayusa.com.

Thanks for your business!

Kevin

MidwayUSA Customer Service

As annoying as it is for me, I really can't hold it against any retailer that doesn't want to do business in Chicago. The sad fact is that FUD works for a reason, and it's probably better to give up some business to avoid the risk of a protracted legal battle.

I salute the retailers that will ship to us, but can't blame the ones who would rather keep their heads down. I reserve that for the politicians, and the voting public that enables them.

Yes, but there's zero possibility of them being sued. The retailers who won't ship here simply don't understand the law has changed, or they're disorganized, or they just don't care enough to look at it. Being afraid of a nonexistent law, to me, isn't an excuse any more. It really only takes 10 minutes to read the updated statute to see that the old "transfer" restriction was struck out, not to mention the CCW law preempted handgun ammo. To me, there's no real excuse for refusing to look into something like that when people keep prompting you and it's down to either disorganization or pure laziness.

I tried Larry last year... no response. It couldn't hurt to try again, though.

FYI, IC is having some technical issues with recent paid memberships, so I won't be able to update the list until that gets squared away.

I tried Larry last year... no response. It couldn't hurt to try again, though.

FYI, IC is having some technical issues with recent paid memberships, so I won't be able to update the list until that gets squared away.

I sent an email in February - haven't heard back either.

Let me know if you want any updates done. I should be able to edit your list.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tried to ship to chicago from www.Bullets.com and received this message right before completing order.

"The following items are restricted from shipping to your state. Please remove these items from your cart before proceeding."

They showed no Chicago restrictions on their website when they were added to the list. The best way to deal with this is to e-mail their customer service about the matter, explaining that the ordinance banning "transfer" of ammunition was struck over a year ago and provide them a link (or downloaded attachment) to the original proposal, which was passed unanimously and signed in June of 2014. The language is on page 24 of the PDF (though the page number actually shows as 22). Would you mind doing this and letting me know what they say?

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/files/chicago-gun-shop-ordinance.pdf

Found out they don't ship to the entire state. Tried multiple avenues and even supplied state codes but kept getting the statement below. It was a polite email exchange but they don't deal with any states that regulate.

Individuals must possess a valid FOID card to purchase ammunition, being that a FOID card is required this can be considered a way to regulate/restrict sales of ammunition in IL and therefore we do not sell to states with any restrictions.

I just put in a order to Lucky Gunner, they requested my FOID and DL, no problem.

They also sent this " As long as you live outside of Chicago/Cook County (where shipments of ammunition are banned), than you may submit an image of your FOID and driver's license.

I live in Lake County, I thought that this Chicago thing was over.

I just put in a order to Lucky Gunner, they requested my FOID and DL, no problem.

They also sent this " As long as you live outside of Chicago/Cook County (where shipments of ammunition are banned), than you may submit an image of your FOID and driver's license.

Yes, I'm well aware of Lucky Gunner's outdated and incorrect opinion on this. Luckygunner and Bulkammo both hired the same guy to handle their website customer service requests, and he insists that shipping ammo to Chicago is illegal (in spite of my having sent him links to the June 2014 city ordinance that struck the "transfer" ban and the state law specifically preempting handgun ammo). He also absolutely refuses to pass along any communication to the actual owners of the websites. Believe me, I've had extensive e-mail exchanges with him and while he's cordial, he is simply never going to reconsider any of this nor pass along anything to anyone else.

Lucky Gunner

Bulkammo

Midway

All of these are considered lost causes to me vis a vis Chicago.

Yes, I'm well aware of Lucky Gunner's outdated and incorrect opinion on this. Luckygunner and Bulkammo both hired the same guy to handle their website customer service requests, and he insists that shipping ammo to Chicago is illegal (in spite of my having sent him links to the June 2014 city ordinance that struck the "transfer" ban and the state law specifically preempting handgun ammo). He also absolutely refuses to pass along any communication to the actual owners of the websites. Believe me, I've had extensive e-mail exchanges with him and while he's cordial, he is simply never going to reconsider any of this nor pass along anything to anyone else.

Lucky Gunner

Bulkammo

Midway

It is a shame, they seem like a decent company with decent prices and very fast (2 day) delivery.

Based on the way Lucky Gunner responded to their recent win against the Brady group, they seem like good people. I'd bet someone at ISRA would have a contact for a person higher up the food chain, perhaps at the top, that would be disappointed to find we can't reward his company with loyalty because his Web guy won't let us.

Midway is terrible about it. I'm not in Chicago but still in Crook and they won't ship me ammo, nor will they ship me a magazine over 10 rounds.

The only time I order from them is if what I need is not available on Amazon or at Cabela's or Bass Pro.

Natchez is the same. I order powder, primers, and bullets from them before. Next time I order they had .22lr in stock and they said sorry we can't ship ammo to your zip code. My reply was "you just sold me all of the components to make my own". They just said sorry it's the law so I tried my best to educate them but it's a lost cause.

To be honest though, I can't fault these companies for not wanting to deal with the headache of Crook and Chicago. That market is probably a fraction of what they get nationally so it's not much of a loss to them. The strange part is that my buddy in Elk Grove orders ammo from Natchez. Makes no sense.

Lucky Gunner

Bulkammo

Midway

It is a shame, they seem like a decent company with decent prices and very fast (2 day) delivery.
I just received a notice that the ammo I ordered on September 1 will be delivered September 3rd.

This company seems to do everything else very good, somehow they need to be convinced to ship to Cook County so the folks there can use them.

I just received a notice that the ammo I ordered on September 1 will be delivered September 3rd.

This company seems to do everything else very good, somehow they need to be convinced to ship to Cook County so the folks there can use them.

Feel free to contact them and try. But with the large number of other great vendors who are happy to sell to the folks in Chicago I'm not too worried about them.

• 2 weeks later...

Sent some e-mails, got some replies...

Thank you for contacting Gander Mountain I will be happy to assist you today. I do apologize, but we do not ship to Chicago, IL. All ammo shipped to Illinois has to be shipped to a Gander Mountain retail store for pickup. Below I will provide the store locater link so you can search by your zip code for your closest Gander Mountain store. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact us back. Thanks again for choosing Gander Mountain and have a great day!

sales@sgammo.com <sales@sgammo.com>

At this time i am not shipping anything to Chicago but i am aware there are some changes recently and going to look at this in detail in time, but change is a slow process on these things here

Dear Customer,

You are correct, they repelled the law so zip codes of 606, 607 & 608 are no longer restricted. You will need to supply a copy of your FOID card and drivers license or state issued ID. These are scanned to your account for all future orders and only need to be resent when you have a renewal.

Thank you for contacting Brownells with your question.

Thank you for contacting Cabela's. We appreciate your interest in purchasing from us.

Most ammunition is available to ship to Illinois. It is necessary to contact our Call Center at 1-800-237-4444 and request extension 0132 to place the order.

If you know the item you wish to purchase, any restrictions or requirements to purchase will be listed on the Restrictions Page which is viewable on the "View All Restrictions That May Apply" link under the Add to Cart button.

We are waiting on our legal dept to give us the ok. So far, they tell us not to ship to Chicago

Scott Blick
Managing Partner

So that's a definite NO from Gander Mountain and SGAmmo, PENDING/UNSURE from Ammunitiondepot.com, possible YES for Cabela's (anyone want to call and find out?), and a definite YES for Brownell's.

I contacted Cabela's back when I started this thread and they basically said they would review the laws. But if you try to order online from them, the restrictions say they don't ship to certain zip codes and they include all of Chicago's zip codes. They could change in the future.

That's great news from Brownell's! I will add them to the list and thank you for contacting them. They're another vendor I wrote to months back and they initially declined to ship ammo to Chicago. Glad to see they got on board.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived