Online ammunition sellers who will ship to Chicago

McCroskey

Does anyone here have text from correspondence sent to an ammunition seller, including the relevant statutes, that has worked to convince the seller that Chicago is not allowed to forbid the shipment of ammunition to buyers within the city limits?

Wideners rejected my verification information, including my CCL, which by its nature should preempt Chicago from interfering with ammunition shipments to me.

I'd like to get something that gives all of the information, in a collected form, to send to these misguided companies, to start checking them off of the list.

I used to buy from Wideners until a couple of years ago, when they decided they would no longer ship ammunition to Chicago. They were among the first batch of sellers I contacted with a form e-mail I was using at the time, plus a link (or attachment) containing the City Ordinance, including the struck out ammo transfer portion, but Wideners was among a few who simply did not care, or didn't believe me, or thought that they were forbidden unless they obtained a Chicago dealers license (even though they're not in Chicago or even Illinois). I haven't placed them on the "lost causes" list, but I'm wondering if I should.

Here's a link to the ordinance. The portion you want is 8-20-100. if you type 24 into Acrobat it will take you right there.

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/files/chicago-gun-shop-ordinance.pdf

Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of my form letter anymore, but I referenced the fact that the old ban on "transfer" of ammunition within the city was struck out with the passage of this ordinance.

That's somewhat helpful, although is that the only ordinance that applies? Doesn't the CCL preemption apply, as well? Do you know what the specific section from that is, as well?

Section 90 says: "The regulation, licensing, possession, registration, and transportation of handguns and ammunition for handguns by licensees are exclusive powers and functions of the State."

(430 ILCS 66/90)

Sec. 90. Preemption. The regulation, licensing, possession, registration, and transportation of handguns and ammunition for handguns by licensees are exclusive powers and functions of the State. Any ordinance or regulation, or portion thereof, enacted on or before the effective date of this Act that purports to impose regulations or restrictions on licensees or handguns and ammunition for handguns in a manner inconsistent with this Act shall be invalid in its application to licensees under this Act on the effective date of this Act. This Section is a denial and limitation of home rule powers and functions under subsection (h) of Section 6 of Article VII of the Illinois Constitution.

(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)

Section 90 says: "The regulation, licensing, possession, registration, and transportation of handguns and ammunition for handguns by licensees are exclusive powers and functions of the State."

(430 ILCS 66/90)

Sec. 90. Preemption. The regulation, licensing, possession, registration, and transportation of handguns and ammunition for handguns by licensees are exclusive powers and functions of the State. Any ordinance or regulation, or portion thereof, enacted on or before the effective date of this Act that purports to impose regulations or restrictions on licensees or handguns and ammunition for handguns in a manner inconsistent with this Act shall be invalid in its application to licensees under this Act on the effective date of this Act. This Section is a denial and limitation of home rule powers and functions under subsection (h) of Section 6 of Article VII of the Illinois Constitution.

(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)

That's quite helpful! I'm going to use that, as well as some of the other things I've been gathering, and put together a "You're doing it wrong" letter; I might even have an attorney look at it and give me some pointers, as well as possibly having them put it on their letterhead to give it some legal legitimacy oomph behind it for convincing purposes.

These are private companies, they can refuse sale for whatever personal reason they want as long as it's not on the basis of you being a protected class.

I bought a handgun with a 14 round magazine from CDNN. Then I tried to order a 15 round magazine and was refused. Posted the exact law saying 15 round was legal. They still refused.

Refusal of sale could be for an arbitrary of a reason as you pay taxes that support an anti second ammendment city, county, or state.

Luckily with the state of the gun industry you won't see these resellers be as discriminatory.

Just purchased 1000 rounds from massammo.com and 1000 American Eagle from TargetSports USA. Both in 9mm

Both shipped to Chicago (West town) with no issues and other than a big UPS transport issue with massammo.com (which wasn't their fault and they quickly resolved, thanks!) both transactions were great. I'll purchase from both vendors again.

• 4 weeks later...

So clicking around on each link, I've found the following bad links

Ammunition Supply Company - offline

ClickAmmo - offline

KA Tactical - offline

Mr. Nambu - offline

Raleigh Tactical Supply - changed their name to 2A Gun Mags??

http://www.2agunmags.com/

https://www.facebook.com/TacticalRaleigh/

Thank you for noticing that, I'll delete them from the list.

The lady would not give me a specific reason on the phone. I explained all the information to her and she did put me on hold a few times so I am sure she was checking with a "higher power" and her answer was still no. Back to the drawing board!

Sounds like just another "we don't know why, we just don't". I've removed them.

The lady would not give me a specific reason on the phone. I explained all the information to her and she did put me on hold a few times so I am sure she was checking with a "higher power" and her answer was still no. Back to the drawing board!

Sounds like just another "we don't know why, we just don't". I've removed them.

Okay I need some help here guys!

I emailed Sportsman's Guide because my dad keeps telling me that they will ship here since his friend at work orders from them all the time. So I made a general inquiry and asked them if they will ship here and here is the response:

Thank you for contacting us. We have reviewed your shipping inquiry.

As long as the merchandise you are interested in buying is not restricted to be shipped into Chicago we can ship it to you. You can choose any address you want to ship the package to; please be sure to enter the billing address for your credit card first and then you will see below where you enter your email address an option to ship to other than your billing address. Since you are shipping to a business please also include the name of the business.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Enjoy the Outdoors!

Sportsman’s Guide Customer Experience Team

Visit our Website

Please retain your Customer ID Number for account reference and Quick Checkout.

Check the status of your order

Contact Customer Service at 1-800-888-5222

Monday through Friday 7:30a.m. until 6:00p.m.Central Standard Time

Manage Buyer's Club Sign-up: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/club/clubtour

Email Preferences: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/customerservice/emailpreferencessignup

So again what do you all think? I am reading between the lines when it says "is not restricted to be shipped into Chicago" I would take it as they don't have an issue with shipping to Chicago

Two things

1) Per Illinois state law, ammunition must be shipped to either the address on your FOID or your Driver's License. They;re probably not aware of this, but you should comply with it and give them the address on your FOID or DL. If you have someone ship you ammo to a different address, you do so at your own risk.

2) What they're saying is kind of ambiguous. They may ship it to you, or they may not. Several people have reported they would not ship ammo to Chicago per their own policy, but if you decide to place the order and give them a try, please let us know here and I'll update the list.

Two things

1) Per Illinois state law, ammunition must be shipped to either the address on your FOID or your Driver's License. They;re probably not aware of this, but you should comply with it and give them the address on your FOID or DL. If you have someone ship you ammo to a different address, you do so at your own risk.

2) What they're saying is kind of ambiguous. They may ship it to you, or they may not. Several people have reported they would not ship ammo to Chicago per their own policy, but if you decide to place the order and give them a try, please let us know here and I'll update the list.

My question to them was a two-part question I don't have a problem with the ammo being sent to my address on my driver's license or my FOID card but the problem is My Condo building is not secure and I do not want the driver to just leave the ammo in the front because anybody can just walk in and take it. I work a 9-5 Mon-Fri like most so chances are it would come when i was at work. so my question to them was are they okay with shipping it to a business address.

I will definitely try them out one time however Midwest Supply has been awesome and I contacted the lady there and she changed the address to ship to my business address so they were okay with that she called me back just to get a copy of my FOID card so right now they have my business and they had the best deal on 9mm ammo.......stay tunned

Hey everyone I just wanted to let you know about the GREAT experience that I had with Midway USA. I went on line and ordered 1,000 FMJ 9mm rounds and crossed my fingers they would come to me. Well low and behold they are here now! The lady who runs the office was SUPER nice she called me and said I need to send her my FOID I said sure give me your email address and sent it to her. I had the ammo ship to my job since my building is not secure. She was super friendly and nice. I placed the order on Wednesday (2/7) and got it today Friday (2/9) even with all this snow!

So if you guys/girls are looking for a place to buy ammo please please please go on line and give them a try.

https://www.midwayusa.com/

Hey everyone I just wanted to let you know about the GREAT experience that I had with Midway USA. I went on line and ordered 1,000 FMJ 9mm rounds and crossed my fingers they would come to me. Well low and behold they are here now! The lady who runs the office was SUPER nice she called me and said I need to send her my FOID I said sure give me your email address and sent it to her. I had the ammo ship to my job since my building is not secure. She was super friendly and nice. I placed the order on Wednesday (2/7) and got it today Friday (2/9) even with all this snow!

So if you guys/girls are looking for a place to buy ammo please please please go on line and give them a try.

BellaBooBoo13, what is your zip code, the last time I checked they would not ship to downtown Chicago.

They are also on the lost cause list.

BellaBooBoo13, what is your zip code, the last time I checked they would not ship to downtown Chicago.

I live in 60634 and had them ship to Skokie 60077......If you create a profile online now you can email your FOID and Drivers License/ID to order_entry@midsouthshooterssupply.com

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

I live in 60634 and had them ship to Skokie 60077......If you create a profile online now you can email your FOID and Drivers License/ID to order_entry@midsouthshooterssupply.com

So you don’t know if they ship to Chicago then, Skokie is not Chicago.

I don’t have a second address to ship to, I need the ammo to be shipped to my Chicago address.

Yes I did ask the lady who helped me on the phone and she said that they will ship to Chicago with no issues. I was told as long as your FOID card is valid you are okay with them

Yes I did ask the lady who helped me on the phone and she said that they will ship to Chicago with no issues.

CORRECTION it was https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

Sorry I corrected my post....I was looking at Midway for ammo cans.....LOL........and you are correct they WILL NOT SHIP TO US........

TO CORRECT I ORDERED FROM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MIDSOUTH SHOOTERS SUPPLY https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

It has always amazed me why Midway USA will not ship to Chicago. They above all, as co-sponsors every year of the NRA Convention, should know the laws better than anyone. When they refused my order a couple of years ago; I went instead to Brownell's who shipped on a FOID and DL. Now Brownell's has dropped out. I wonder if it is about the law, or the legal ramifications of the careless and sloppy delivery practices of ammo of the carriers that service Chicago. I once was asked to accept a UPS package of ammo that had a hole in it big enough to see the contents and easily remove same. I made the driver wait and watch while I checked the contents against the shipping list before I would sign for it. If there had been a shortage; I threatened to call the police. I've also heard that UPS and FedEx are just leaving packages of ammo unattended without a signature at the "driver's discretion". That might be ok for Amazon, but not ammo. I can see lots of ammo illegally getting into the wrong Chicago hands, causing possible legal problems for the sellers.

It has always amazed me why Midway USA will not ship to Chicago. They above all, as co-sponsors every year of the NRA Convention, should know the laws better than anyone. When they refused my order a couple of years ago; I went instead to Brownell's who shipped on a FOID and DL. Now Brownell's has dropped out. I wonder if it is about the law, or the legal ramifications of the careless and sloppy delivery practices of ammo of the carriers that service Chicago. I once was asked to accept a UPS package of ammo that had a hole in it big enough to see the contents and easily remove same. I made the driver wait and watch while I checked the contents against the shipping list before I would sign for it. If there had been a shortage; I threatened to call the police. I've also heard that UPS and FedEx are just leaving packages of ammo unattended without a signature at the "driver's discretion". That might be ok for Amazon, but not ammo. I can see lots of ammo illegally getting into the wrong Chicago hands, causing possible legal problems for the sellers.

I agree! So like most people I work a 9-5 M-F and not at home. I wanted the ammo to come to my office so I would not worrya bout it getting into the wrong hands. I was impressed with https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ the package came taped all around that it took a few rounds with the scissors to open it. They packed the 1,000 rounds secure and I was shocked with the UPS guy didn't ask me for a signature when clearly on the invoice they emailed me is said that an adult had to be there to sign for it....Go figure. So image the driver leaving the package in my unsecured building where anyone can open the 1st door and help themselves. Most times the one neighbor is nice enough to carry peoples packages and leave them on the inside. I will be ordering from them again I was so glad that I found a place that will still deliver here (for now)...

I agree! So like most people I work a 9-5 M-F and not at home. I wanted the ammo to come to my office so I would not worrya bout it getting into the wrong hands. I was impressed with https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ the package came taped all around that it took a few rounds with the scissors to open it. They packed the 1,000 rounds secure and I was shocked with the UPS guy didn't ask me for a signature when clearly on the invoice they emailed me is said that an adult had to be there to sign for it....Go figure. So image the driver leaving the package in my unsecured building where anyone can open the 1st door and help themselves. Most times the one neighbor is nice enough to carry peoples packages and leave them on the inside. I will be ordering from them again I was so glad that I found a place that will still deliver here (for now)...

Yes. I was once told that there is a special sticker that is placed on packages of ammo demanding a signature to maintain the signed chain of custody between the seller and the buyer. Once the buyer signs for the package the ammo becomes his legal responsibility. The aforementioned sticker overrides any "discretion" that the driver may use to leave a package unsigned for and unattended.

The sticker that must accompany all ammo shipments: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/76/ORM-D.png

Mid South are good people. Like you guys, I'm disappointed Midway will not come around, but that's their prerogative as a private business. Which is why this thread exists. :cool:

Yes. I was once told that there is a special sticker that is placed on packages of ammo demanding a signature to maintain the signed chain of custody between the seller and the buyer. Once the buyer signs for the package the ammo becomes his legal responsibility. The aforementioned sticker overrides any "discretion" that the driver may use to leave a package unsigned for and unattended.

That sticker is based on United Nations recommendations for the transport of dangerous goods and has nothing to do with driver discretion.

Yes I did ask the lady who helped me on the phone and she said that they will ship to Chicago with no issues. I was told as long as your FOID card is valid you are okay with them

Yes I did ask the lady who helped me on the phone and she said that they will ship to Chicago with no issues.

BellaBooBoo13, I just checked out Mid South Shooters, sadly they charge for shipping, which can be quite expensive.

I’ll stick to Target Sports USA, they have free shipping on ammo.

BellaBooBoo13, I just checked out Mid South Shooters, sadly they charge for shipping, which can be quite expensive.

I know shipping is a bummer......I take it Target Sports USA will ship to Chicago?

I know shipping is a bummer......I take it Target Sports USA will ship to Chicago?

Yes BellaBooBoo13, you did check out the first page of this thread, right?

The full list of suppliers that ship to Chicago is there and is updated regularly.

Here is the list in case you missed it.

Ammo retailers who will ship (in alphabetical order)

AmmoMart

Ammo Supply Warehouse

AmmunitionStore

Anacortes Gun Shop

Blue Ridge Firearms

Bone Frog Gun Club

Buffalo Arms

Buffalo Bore

Cajunammo

CCW Ammo

Gad Custom Cartridges (good source for obsolete calibers)

Great Lakes Ammunition

Lanbo's Armory

Mass Ammo

Mid South Shooters

Military Shooters

Northwest Shooter Supply

Old Western Scrounger

Patriot Outfitter's Guns

Red River Reloading

Selway Armory

Southern Ohio Gun

SWFA Outdoors

SWVA Arms

Tactical Defense Solutions

TargetSportsUSA

Top Gun Supply

Underwood Ammo (also their Facebook page for sales/deals)

Archived