Online ammunition sellers who will ship to Chicago

McCroskey

I just ordered from both Brownells and TargetSportsUSA, no problems whatsoever, with fast shipping to boot!

* Side note, anyone know why I can’t upload photos? I can’t change my profile photo nor upload images to forums.

I've received two orders from Brownells without much of a problem. The last order; however, was heavy and should have been packed in a stronger box. But I did get it; after hassling the UPS driver as to why it arrived partially open. I checked the contents in his presence. Everything was there. I will order from them again.

https://www.municode.com/library/search?stateId=13&clientId=12156&searchText=ammunition&contentTypeId=CODES

This search does not show any prohibition for shipping ammo to Cook County. . . anyone else find anything?

I also did the search for "ammunition" in the CC code, I don't see a thing that mentions a requirement to ship ammo to a FFL.

https://www.municode.com/library/search?stateId=13&clientId=12156&searchText=ammunition&contentTypeId=CODES

There's their tax:

https://www.cookcountyil.gov/service/firearm-and-firearm-ammunition-tax

But that's for brick and mortar stores operating in Cook County.

Here's Chicago's municipal code that provides for restrictions on gun stores in the city (passed in 2014), and struck the ban on "transfer" of ammunition in city limits.

https://chicago.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=1804593&GUID=F4AA3050-1B5E-4FAA-97EA-6F58C8CB51C6&Options=Advanced&Search=&FullText=1

Says nothing about shipping ammo to a FFL. Chicago does seem to prohibit sale of 50 BMG and AP ammo by their gun shop licensees in the city (4-144-800), but I don't see how that would have anything to do with vendors from outside the city or state even since the city doesn't license them.

I've received two orders from Brownells without much of a problem. The last order; however, was heavy and should have been packed in a stronger box.

BerettaMan, that also happened to me, when I received my ammo from Brownells yesterday and the box was trashed, it had a big rip in the side.

I am going to send an email to Brownells and complain.
On the other hand the box from TargetSportsUSA was very well packed.

I've received two orders from Brownells without much of a problem. The last order; however, was heavy and should have been packed in a stronger box.

BerettaMan, that also happened to me, when I received my ammo from Brownells yesterday and the box was trashed, it had a big rip in the side.

Heavier orders should be shipped using double-walled cartons. I would recommend that to them (I'm surprised they wouldn't use them for pieces over a certain weight).

If there was a hole/ rip in the box where you could actually feel and see the ammo like mine; I hope you checked the contents in front of the driver before you signed and accepted delivery. If not, you would be responsible for the missing ammo. If something was missing and you didn't sign and accept the package; I think that would be a problem between Brownells and UPS, not you.

BerettaMan, yes it was fine, but they definitely need to do a better job at packing, a double box was definitely needed (the package weighed 16.5 lbs)

I saved $20 by ordering from Brownells vs. TargetSportsUSA, if that was not the case I would have ordered from TargetSportsUSA.
I just sent Brownells a message, I will let you know what their response is, that is if I get one.

BerettaMan, yes it was fine, but they definitely need to do a better job at packing, a double box was definitely needed (the package weighed 16.5 lbs)

I saved $20 by ordering from Brownells vs. TargetSportsUSA, if that was not the case I would have ordered from TargetSportsUSA.

I just sent Brownells a message, I will let you know what their response is, that is if I get one.

A amusing side note. After I jumped all over the UPS guy, he blamed UPS for giving him such a damaged box to deliver. He said he was going to take it up with his union rep because of everything that I had put him through, like having to wait until I checked the contents against the packing slip!

If there was a hole/ rip in the box where you could actually feel and see the ammo like mine; I hope you checked the contents in front of the driver before you signed and accepted delivery. If not, you would be responsible for the missing ammo. If something was missing and you didn't sign and accept the package; I think that would be a problem between Brownells and UPS, not you.

BerettaMan, I live in a high rise (680 units) so unfortunately I do not get my packages first hand, all packages go though the mail room before they get to me.
If Brownells does not reply to me or does not change their shipping procedures, I will make all of my purchases through TargetSportsUSA.

This search does not show any prohibition for shipping ammo to Cook County. . . anyone else find anything?

You are right Molly, there is no prohibition. So why are these retailers so afraid of these phantom laws, like Bud's gun shop and Palmetto state armory who not only would not sell ammunition but have stopped selling even handguns to Chicago residents lately saying is illegal. Some retailers are afraid to deal not only with Chicago and Cook County residents but with the state of Illinois at all. Something is going on and it has gotten worse lately and Grabagun stopped selling standard capacity magazines to Illinois residents citing the laws and their lawyer told them. Someone from the state is threatening them because they want to sell and are not making up these laws they said but don't want to lose theit license and business. They say someone from the state and their lawyer and compliance department told them is illegal. We have been trying for years to convince these retailers that is not illegal to ship ammunition to Chicago to no avail.

My exchange with Grabagun when they cancelled my order. I think that NSSF and NRA should get involved to clear this issue. They are throwing the baby with the bath water. These are bans by people who claim to support the 2nd amendment.

Thanks again for your order. However, we can not ship magazines of this capacity to your state.

Your order has been cancelled and a full refund issued.

Thank you,

Greg

Yes you can ship it in my state and there is no capacity limit. Please check the laws again. Chicago has a limit of 15 rounds but even that is preempted by state law so there is no limit.

New policies have been enacted at Grab A Gun in response to ever-changing state and local laws on firearm

legality and high capacity regulations. As a Texas-licensed gun dealer, we are unable to verify legality

for firearms and ammunition for every state, county and city across the country. For this reason, Grab A

Gun has instituted a policy that if a state (or any county/city within a state) has "assault weapon" or

high capacity magazine restrictions, we will not ship them to that state under any circumstances. This

also applies to law enforcement officers, who are typically exempt from firearm statutes. Hopefully

new legislation will pass in the future that would allow us to resume conducting normal business within

your state.

When were your new policies enacted? There is no "assault weapon" ban in Illinois and this is a pistol magazine. The law in Chicago hasn't changed since 2014 and it doesn't take long to see. Seems like you don't want to bother and are making up excuses.

There are active assault weapon and high capacity statutes in Cook County and ammunition shipping regulations across the whole state of Illinois, which are still in effect to the best of our knowledge. The policies were enacted just within the last month, due to rising incidences of firearms having to be returned to us, and ammunition orders are becoming too troublesome with having to verify active FOID cards. From a logistical standpoint, the cost to ship these items into Illinois/Cook County is simply outweighing the benefits, as well as opening the company up to potential legal issues. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and sincerely wish that we were able to ship to your state unrestricted.

Thanks,

Greg

This is Lucky Gunner's explanation for why they won't ship ammo to Chicago

http://www.luckygunner.com/ammo-regulations-for-shipping-to-chicago

But this is wrong - Under O2013-6015, only an ammunition retailer with a weapons dealer license can sell ammunition within Chicago. Please refer specifically to Municipal Code section 8-20-100 (which has been changed from the previous version titled "Permissible sales and transfer of firearms and ammunition" to "Sale or transfer of firearms or ammunition prohibited").

8-20-100 has been amended to addressing sales of firearms at gun shows. There is no prohibition on selling firearms or ammunition that I can find.

8-20-100 has been amended to addressing sales of firearms at gun shows. There is no prohibition on selling firearms or ammunition that I can find.

They're totally wrong. But this is the kind of stuff we're encountering with some of these vendors. Some tell stories about Springfield telling them they can't ship ammo here, others have bizarre interpretations of the law itself.

They're totally wrong. But this is the kind of stuff we're encountering with some of these vendors. Some tell stories about Springfield telling them they can't ship ammo here, others have bizarre interpretations of the law itself.

Necessity has dictated that I've had to limit my online activity to the bare minimum, but this is something I saw that I thought worth chiming in on.

Unequivocally, without any question of it being conjecture, one of my sources with connection to both Illinois and Chicago government and politics (that should narrow it down without actually naming names) told me that there has been specific collusion to subvert McDonald and Heller by means of deliberate and unlawful misinformation being spread to firearms industry sources and vendors to keep sales of ammunition and firearms from being made to Illinois residents. My source is someone who has sat in on meetings in both Springfield and Chicago where this has been specifically stated, including, "It doesn't matter what the statute says; if it goes to court, they'll basically be paying for the costs through their ******* taxes, so screw them."

Basically, certain figures of note in northern Illinois politics have decided that their ideology regarding civilian ownership of firearms supersedes the judgement of the judicial branch's interpretation of the Second Amendment, and even if they lose in court, the taxpayers will foot the bill, and their immunity to prosecution or culpability for these unlawful decisions makes it a no-lose situation for them to act in that way.

• 3 months later...

I'm a new member here and very glad for the information in this thread. Bone Frog has been great to me and while their selection isn't great, the actual ammo they do sell is some of the best there is out there.

With respect to the retailers who won't sell or ship to Chicago because they're ignorant...perhaps we can ask the NRA for help. Ask the NRA to use their influence to educate some of these retailers that Illinois, Cook County, and Chicago itself are not off limits for ammo sales.

The NRA is too busy making videos that add to the venomous partisan political divide hoping to drum up donations in an environment where gun rights are no longer seen as threatened at the Federal level to do something so granular as educate merchants that their wares are, in fact, legal within a region of Illinois.

The NSSF is probably the better bet since they actually represent the firearms industry. Also the ISRA since they actually are in Illinois and could lend credence to their assertions.

This has been an issue for quite a while. Organizations have had quite some time to send a letter to these merchants. I don't know what has been done, but I haven't heard anything from any organization saying they'd acted on behalf of Illinois gun owners. Just individuals taking their own initiative and sending letters and emails that reference the law to individual merchants. Most of these seem to be ignored.

I'm so annoyed by this that until something drastically changes I prefer to reward my business to the companies that actually care about us rather than beg and grovel to the merchants who don't.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks chislinger. I actually went through every single link on the list and compared prices, and it looks like Target Sports is the best option for aggressively priced bulk ammo that does ship to Chicago as you have stated. They'll be getting 100% of my business now.

Edit: Target Sports USA also offers free shipping on bulk ammo which makes them often cheaper than the other big guys such as SGAmmo. I tried emailing a few of these places and tried to explain that it's not illegal to ship to Chicago and that it's been legal for years now. But they wouldn't do it. I told them that by snubbing fellow 2Aers and refusing to sell to me just because of the city I live in, that they are almost as bad as the liberals and progressives that try to stifle the second amendment, and are on the same level. None of them cared to hear it and just pointed me to their outdated policy. To heck with them. They'll get none of my business now nor long after I move from Chicago.

Whoa, I didn't realize that about SGAmmo. I've purchased from them several times from my Cook County address and it was never an issue.

I'll start looking elsewhere in solidarity.

I suppose Palmetto State Armory should be added to the "Lost Causes" list in the original post. They won't even ship to Cook County, let alone Chicago.

Thanks for the notes.

Target Sports is a great place to do business with. I've ordered from them multiple times and from a few other vendors in the list with no problem.

I'll add Palmetto and Sportsmans warehouse to the Lost Causes list.

Thought this might help our situation... ATF has finally updated their published list of laws. They now have it broken down on their online site by state. For Illinois, it includes all the updated concealed carry including the preemption that the State has preempted all handgun laws over municipality ordinances. Surprisingly it only includes at the end of the document, ordinances for Aurora and for Chicago only. As far as Chicago, it details that the firearms dealers need a license if they are using a physical location inside of Chicago. As everyone here already knows, there is no ordinance prohibiting having ammunition shipped to them in Chicago and any dealers that take the time to review this will not find any prohibition. Illinois law already allows anyone with a valid FOID to have purchased ammunition shipped to them and that is also listed in this document under 430 ILCS 65/3. It says "ANY RESIDENT" and does not distinguish anything regarding any municipality ordinances. One thing ammunition related that Chicago does prohibit is 50bmg rounds and "armor piercing" ammo. Absolutely nothing else is listed under the prohibition. Another interesting thing I saw was in regards to "high capacity" magazines under Chicago's laws. It identifies them as having over 15rd capacity. So anything that is 15rds or less are good to go as well. I ways thought it was 12rds or less. Maybe now that this published through ATF, more dealers will jump on board and start selling to Chicago residents. Here is the link. Hopefully it works for you.

https://www.atf.gov/docs/undefined/firearmsstatutesandcodes-illinoispdf/download

Thought this might help our situation... ATF has finally updated their published list of laws. They now have it broken down on their online site by state. For Illinois, it includes all the updated concealed carry including the preemption that the State has preempted all handgun laws over municipality ordinances. Surprisingly it only includes at the end of the document, ordinances for Aurora and for Chicago only. As far as Chicago, it details that the firearms dealers need a license if they are using a physical location inside of Chicago. As everyone here already knows, there is no ordinance prohibiting having ammunition shipped to them in Chicago and any dealers that take the time to review this will not find any prohibition. Illinois law already allows anyone with a valid FOID to have purchased ammunition shipped to them and that is also listed in this document under 430 ILCS 65/3. It says "ANY RESIDENT" and does not distinguish anything regarding any municipality ordinances. One thing ammunition related that Chicago does prohibit is 50bmg rounds and "armor piercing" ammo. Absolutely nothing else is listed under the prohibition. Another interesting thing I saw was in regards to "high capacity" magazines under Chicago's laws. It identifies them as having over 15rd capacity. So anything that is 15rds or less are good to go as well. I ways thought it was 12rds or less. Maybe now that this published through ATF, more dealers will jump on board and start selling to Chicago residents. Here is the link. Hopefully it works for you.

https://www.atf.gov/docs/undefined/firearmsstatutesandcodes-illinoispdf/download

Wow, it only took, what, three years? You'd think it wasn't their responsibility to provide up-to-date information regarding firearm laws.

Regarding the 50BMG and AP section, it describes this as applying to the State's weapons dealer licensees, their store managers, and authorized employees (see page 45, Article VII. Firearms Dealers, 4-144-700 Definitions.)

“Licensee” means a person issued a weapon dealer-firearms dealer license pursuant to this Article.

“Store Manager” means a person who:

(1) is 21 years old or older;

(2) has a valid FOID card; and

(3) is designated by the licensee for the responsibility of the on-site overall day-to-day operations of a firearms dealer licensed premises.

“Authorized Employee” means a licensee's employee who:

(1) is 21 years old or older;

(2) has a valid FOID card;

(3) is located at the licensed premises; and

(4) is authorized by the licensee to control, handle, sell, store or otherwise possess firearms or ammunition.

Chicago doesn't license businesses outside of the city, so it doesn't seem this would apply.

At least one online dealer responded to my email that they believe they need to get a Chicago firearm dealer license to sell to Chicago residents.

It's bizarre, when this provision is clearly meant for dealers physically located within city limits.

At least one online dealer responded to my email that they believe they need to get a Chicago firearm dealer license to sell to Chicago residents.

It's bizarre, when this provision is clearly meant for dealers physically located within city limits.

Sounds like the guy at Lucky Gunner. He's the reason I started the Lost Causes list.

Archived