Online ammunition sellers who will ship to Chicago

McCroskey

They were one of the first sellers I contacted after the new law was passed because I had bought C&R guns from them in the past and liked doing business with them. They said they were going to review it and it may take a while, that's the last I heard. Their Terms page still says they'll only ship ammo to Chicago and Cook if you're a FFL dealer. You could try contacting them again if you want.

Just spent a couple of minutes on the phone with them, and said that "they" (the ISP) is stating that Chicago is on the list of places where ammunition sales are restricted the last time that the manager looked (in November of 2015). I said that I'd be happy to do the legwork and get that clarified for them, and the guy on the phone I talked to seemed receptive, but indicated that they go by the most restrictive laws on the books that they can find, for their own safety.

So if the ISP is actually indicating to dealers that Chicago is restricted for ammo sales, how can we rectify that with sellers that seem to be reasonable?

I'm going to shoot an email to them at their recommendation

Send them the attached PDF, which is the new 2014 ordinance. Page 24 of the PDF (page number at the bottom will say 22) has the old ordinance listed, shows it having been struck out and amended to regulate sales of guns at gun shows only. This is the law for over two years now. ISP is giving people old info, or else the manager hasn't checked as recently as they say.

attachicon.gifchicago-gun-shop-ordinance.pdf

No response as of yet.

During this year, I've bought couple times from http://www.targetsportsusa.comand they shipped to Cook County (suburbs).

Thanks, they're on the list and a good vendor. Please note that Chicago does not equal Cook County. So reporting on vendors who ship to Cook County municipalities other than Chicago don't really belong in this thread.

No response as of yet.

They probably won't respond Really, some vendors are determined to not listen to reason. As for ISP, no idea why they would tell them what they supposedly told them. Either they haven't actually asked them in years, or they're just saying something so you'll leave them alone. Since they've been contacted at least twice now, I'll probably just add them to the Lost Causes if there's no word from them in another week or so.

Hey guys,

I joined the forum just so I could post in this thread, since it's been invaluable to me.

I don't know if anyone has tried to purchase from them, but Vizard's Guns & Ammo won't ship to me in Glenview in Cook County, so you can definitely take them off the list for shipping to Chicago. They did offer to ship to an FFL. I politely told them it was against the FOID Act, but they were short and terse in their e-mails to me. Too bad, too, because they had flat rate shipping.

Hey guys,

I joined the forum just so I could post in this thread, since it's been invaluable to me.

I don't know if anyone has tried to purchase from them, but Vizard's Guns & Ammo won't ship to me in Glenview in Cook County, so you can definitely take them off the list for shipping to Chicago. They did offer to ship to an FFL. I politely told them it was against the FOID Act, but they were short and terse in their e-mails to me. Too bad, too, because they had flat rate shipping.

Shipping FFL to FFL is permitted, but shipping FFL to customer MUST be to the address on your FOID or DL. FFL to FFL ammo shipments are treated the same as firearm shipments. You, as the customer, are getting the ammo shipment from the receiving FFL, not the ammo seller. All governed by ATF regs, not Illinois requirements.

Hey guys,

Shipping FFL to FFL is permitted, but shipping FFL to customer MUST be to the address on your FOID or DL. FFL to FFL ammo shipments are treated the same as firearm shipments. You, as the customer, are getting the ammo shipment from the receiving FFL, not the ammo seller. All governed by ATF regs, not Illinois requirements.

I've seen this brought up before but I've always thought that the initial purchase would have to be made through your local FFL, rather than purchasing from the non-local one, in order to comply with the FOID act? I guess the question is, is it dependent on who you pay or who actually hands you the ammo? It's true anyone can go to their local FFL and say "can you order up some .45 ACP", but would the FOID act treat this the same if you're just using them as an intermediary?

Regardless of your location:

1. it is legal to purchase ammunition from a local FFL.

2. it is legal to purchase ammunition from an out-of-state FFL

How would it not be legal to purchase ammunition from one FFL and accept delivery from another FFL, since that same type of transaction with firearms occurs multiple times every single day. The restriction on delivery to the address on your DL or FOID is designed primarily to prevent non-FOID holders from improperly gaining access to ammunition. FFLs are under obligation to verify that the person receiving the delivery actually has a FOID. And since delivery to a local FFL is not intended to circumvent the FOID law, but to comply with corporate policies that themselves do not comply with Illinois state law, it would be absurd to hold that this kind of delivery is improper or illegal.

Ok, thanks for that, Indigo. I'm not a lawyer, so you may very well be correct. However, in the interest of completeness, I'll post the exact text of Illinois 430 Ill. Comp. Stat. 65/3(b-5) and let readers follow their own best guidance per their due diligence.

(b-5) Any resident may purchase ammunition from a person within or outside of Illinois if shipment is by United States mail or by a private express carrier authorized by federal law to ship ammunition. Any resident purchasing ammunition within or outside the State of Illinois must provide the seller with a copy of his or her valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card or valid concealed carry license and either his or her Illinois driver's license or Illinois State Identification Card prior to the shipment of the ammunition. The ammunition may be shipped only to an address on either of those 2 documents.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=043000650K3

• 1 month later...

I bought a few boxes from Target Sports USA, site is easy to navigate and I got my ammo pretty quickly. I'll also note that when they asked me to upload my FOID, I uploaded my CCW and that was fine with them (some vendors and stores like Wal Mart are still insisting on seeing the FOID).

I bought a few boxes from Target Sports USA, site is easy to navigate and I got my ammo pretty quickly. I'll also note that when they asked me to upload my FOID, I uploaded my CCW and that was fine with them (some vendors and stores like Wal Mart are still insisting on seeing the FOID).

Thanks for your comments on Target sports. Just ordered from them - ammo shipping today. Estimated delivery is Friday 1/27.

Thanks for your comments on Target sports. Just ordered from them - ammo shipping today. Estimated delivery is Friday 1/27.

I live in downtown Chicago Delivery was only one day late - ordered on the 25th and ammo received on the 28th. Great follow through and good prices.

• 3 weeks later...

I just came across this place and the prices seem ok. They mention Illinois under shipping restrictions in their Terms and Conditions section but that seems only that the FOOD needs to be sent to them and ammo can only be shipped to the address on the FOID. No mention of any restriction for Chicago. I have not used them yet but may in the future. Just passing this along...

https://www.tntmunitions.com

Hello all, I just ordered from Target Sports USA, Hornady 9mm Luger 124 Grain XTP Hollow Point, case of 250 for $159.90 with Free Shipping!
I’ll let you know how is goes.
*I live Downtown Chicago.

They are great and you should have no trouble.

I just came across this place and the prices seem ok. They mention Illinois under shipping restrictions in their Terms and Conditions section but that seems only that the FOOD needs to be sent to them and ammo can only be shipped to the address on the FOID. No mention of any restriction for Chicago. I have not used them yet but may in the future. Just passing this along...

https://www.tntmunitions.com

If you decide to give them a try and you live in City limits, please let us know how it goes. If they're good, I'll add them to the list.

Thank you!

Kentucky Gun Company cancelled my order for ammo even though they have shipped me once before. They said the law has changed since January 1st 2016 and they are updated by the state of Illinois every year and were told not to ship ammunition and firearms to residents of Chicago and Cook County starting the first of the year. After 14 emails back and forth and speaking to two managers, found out that the state of Illinois gives these companies erroneous information and tells them not to ship to Chicago and Cook County. Was told until someone updates them of the law they can't ship. They also said they asked an FFL in Illinois who told them the same thing that the law has changed and their ATF compliance officer told them not to ship. I sent them a copy of the laws and told them the law hasn't changed but they insisted that it has even after I told them to show me where it says that and they couldn't. Told them the information from the FFL is wrong and to call Molly B who works in Springfield and knows the laws and she can fix any mistake about the law but said he doesn't have time to call every state and can't ship until they are updated by the state of the law. Can Molly B please find out who from the state advises these companies not to ship to Chicago and Cook County. eric.munson@kygunco.com

Dear Valued Customer.

Unfortunately, due to your state laws we will be unable to ship the item you have placed on order with the Kentucky Gun Company. No charges were applied to your credit card.

Thank you.

Mary Grace Whitaker

Customer Service

(502) 348-3594

Dear Valued Customer:

We have received your request for ammunition. Ammunition must be sent to a FFL in Illinois, we are not able to ship it to your address. Please let us know how to proceed with this order. As of January 1, 2016, we are not permitted to ship ammunition to a home address in Illinois.

Per Illinois law, ammunition may not be sent to the city of Chicago. Any ammunition shipped to the state of Illinois must be sent to a FFL. I have checked with our compliance officer and any ammunition must be shipped to a FFL. I apologize for the inconvenience.

I will take Kentucky Gun Company off the list tonight after I arrive home.

It's a shame that someone in Springfield is lying to vendors.

I have been using Target Sports USA and have had no issues. Great prices, too.

I will take Kentucky Gun Company off the list tonight after I arrive home.

It's a shame that someone in Springfield is lying to vendors.

I have been using Target Sports USA and have had no issues. Great prices, too.

My last purchase was also from Target Sports - great service and short turn around time.

I do not find any requirement for ammunition to be sent to an FFL in the Chicago code:

This Chicago ordinance has created a lot of confusion in that it originally was:
8-20-100 Sale or transfer of firearms or ammunition prohibited.
(a) Except as authorized by section 2-84-075, no firearm may be sold, acquired or otherwise transferred within the city, except through inheritance of the firearm.
(b ) No ammunition may be sold or otherwise transferred within the city, except through a licensed weapons dealer, or as otherwise allowed by this code.

It was amended in 2014 due to the lawsuit against the city and now only applies to gun shows:
8-20-100 Sale or transfer of firearms at gun shows prohibited.
No firearm shall be sold or otherwise transferred by any person at a gun show. For purposes of this subsection, “gun show” means a temporary exhibit or gathering where firearms or ammunition are sold, leased, or otherwise transferred. (Added Coun. J. 7-2-10, p. 96234, § 4; Amend Coun. J. 7-6-11, p. 3073, § 4; Amend Coun. J. 1-17-13, p. 45370, § 4; Amend Coun. J. 9-11-13, p. 59869, § 3; Amend Coun. J. 6-25-14, p. 83727, § 8)

Would someone else please take a look to see if you find something I might be missing?

http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Illinois/chicago_il/municipalcodeofchicago?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:chicago_il

http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Illinois/chicago_il/municipalcodeofchicago?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:chicago_il

We need to do the same for the Cook County ordinances as well.

Archived