Online ammunition sellers who will ship to Chicago

McCroskey

As we post which dealers will ship to Chicago, aren't we helping the state, county and city to followup with the dealers in a threatening manor if they keep shipping to Chicago & Cook County?

Why would the state care? The idea that we should hide this implies there is something inherently wrong or illegal about what we're doing. Neither is the case.

The state of Illinois has never banned internet or mail order ammunition. Their only law is that the you need to have a FOID and the ammo has to deliver to the address on the FOID or the one on your driver's license.

Cook County, as far as I know, has no laws banning online or mail order ammo purchases.

The only regulation that could be construed as banning online or mail order ammo sales was an old city of Chicago ordinance, which prohibited "transfer" of ammo within city limits. That ordinance language was deleted in 2014 and replaced with new language that bans sales of guns at gun shows. There is nothing about ammunition at all.

Illinois doesn't care. Cook and Chicago probably don't like it, but there's not a thing they can do about it. None of them are going to harass vendors in other states and risk a host of harassment lawsuits.

What we're doing is legal.

Not just legal, but a great service to Chicago gun owners.

Many Chicagoans don't own a car - don't really need one for most things since public transportation is so good within the city. The only drawback is that leaving the city for anything can get difficult. Internet sales is often the only viable way Chicago residents can get ammunition.

I know officedrone's been thanked before for all the effort that goes into this, but it can't be said often enough how important this is.

As we post which dealers will ship to Chicago, aren't we helping the state, county and city to followup with the dealers in a threatening manor if they keep shipping to Chicago & Cook County?

Why would the state care? The idea that we should hide this implies there is something inherently wrong or illegal about what we're doing. Neither is the case.

The state of Illinois has never banned internet or mail order ammunition. Their only law is that the you need to have a FOID and the ammo has to deliver to the address on the FOID or the one on your driver's license.

Cook County, as far as I know, has no laws banning online or mail order ammo purchases.

The only regulation that could be construed as banning online or mail order ammo sales was an old city of Chicago ordinance, which prohibited "transfer" of ammo within city limits. That ordinance language was deleted in 2014 and replaced with new language that bans sales of guns at gun shows. There is nothing about ammunition at all.

Illinois doesn't care. Cook and Chicago probably don't like it, but there's not a thing they can do about it. None of them are going to harass vendors in other states and risk a host of harassment lawsuits.

What we're doing is legal.

All I know is that Freedom Munitions used to freely ship to Chicago until their name appeared all over the forum, then they magically decided (after 2 orders that I received) that they were no longer going to ship to Chicago/Cook County. Something happened to change their mind.

All I know is that Freedom Munitions used to freely ship to Chicago until their name appeared all over the forum, then they magically decided (after 2 orders that I received) that they were no longer going to ship to Chicago/Cook County. Something happened to change their mind.

I'm sorry your favorite vendor is ignorant of the law. This thread has nothing to do with their decision. Have you asked them to specifiy why they changed their mind? Have you done anything to contact their owners and/or upper management to educate them? My guess is no.

Freedom Munitions actually did NOT freely ship ammo here all along. If you read back through this thread, you'll see they initially did not, then changed their mind after someone here contacted one of their customer service reps. The reason that was given for the stoppage was that a customer service rep went over the heads of management and should not have.

Please stop spreading paranoia. The anti gun politicians love it.

I'm sorry your favorite vendor is ignorant of the law. This thread has nothing to do with their decision. Have you asked them to specifiy why they changed their mind? Have you done anything to contact their owners and/or upper management to educate them? My guess is no.

Freedom Munitions actually did NOT freely ship ammo here all along. If you read back through this thread, you'll see they initially did not, then changed their mind after someone here contacted one of their customer service reps. The reason that was given for the stoppage was that a customer service rep went over the heads of management and should not have.

Please stop spreading paranoia. The anti gun politicians love it.

Not spreading paranoia, just asking a question... or are questions discouraged on this forum?

My favorite? Not quite, only one of 3 that I have used and the other two I will continue to use.

Sorry if I asked a question that upset you or any other forum member.

• 1 month later...

Just had an excellent experience with http://www.brownells.com/. Ordered Sunday as a 1st time buyer. They emailed me Monday to get my FOID and state ID. Box shipped Tues and arrived at my home today!

Got some bulk 9mm on sale. Love the ammo case!

I'm a fan of Brownell's. I've ordered from them twice since last year. With my first order, they routinely cancelled it because of my Chicago address. I had to call them for them to ask for my FOID and Driver's license. Once they got them; I had to re-order over the phone slowing things up.. Since then I've had no problems except a burst shipping box. Keep checking their site for other sales and especially rebates. I got $60 back from Remington on my first order which as also on sale!

Just had an excellent experience with http://www.brownells.com/. Ordered Sunday as a 1st time buyer. They emailed me Monday to get my FOID and state ID. Box shipped Tues and arrived at my home today!

Got some bulk 9mm on sale. Love the ammo case!

Great news, thank you for the positive info!

Hello. We are an online ammunition retailer and will gladly ship to all locations in IL. Our web store prohibits automatic sales from states that have restrictions, but per our Terms & Conditions (http://www.bonefroggunclub.com/pages/terms-conditions) once we receive a copy of your DL & FOID, we will create your account, allowing you to purchase without restriction, as long as your credentials remain valid/not expired. Upon expiration of your credentials, we ask that you resubmit your updated copies. We have very competitive pricing on some of the most sought after rounds. We'd like to be added to your list of ammunition sellers that will ship to Chicago. Thanks! http://www.bonefroggunclub.com

Hello. We are an online ammunition retailer and will gladly ship to all locations in IL. Our web store prohibits automatic sales from states that have restrictions, but per our Terms & Conditions (http://www.bonefroggunclub.com/pages/terms-conditions) once we receive a copy of your DL & FOID, we will create your account, allowing you to purchase without restriction, as long as your credentials remain valid/not expired. Upon expiration of your credentials, we ask that you resubmit your updated copies. We have very competitive pricing on some of the most sought after rounds. We'd like to be added to your list of ammunition sellers that will ship to Chicago. Thanks! http://www.bonefroggunclub.com

Welcome aboard!

You've got great prices on defense ammo!

I just checked your website, under your FAQ, you say you are "prohibited by law from shipping to Chicago". ???

I just checked your website, under your FAQ, you say you are "prohibited by law from shipping to Chicago". ???

Sorry about that, cola490. Seems the web team didn't update the FAQs when they updated our Terms & Conditions. We just had them delete it. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant! Looks like you have great prices, too. And HST's in stock! I look forward to giving you my business.

Has anyone had any luck with J&G sales?

They were one of the first sellers I contacted after the new law was passed because I had bought C&R guns from them in the past and liked doing business with them. They said they were going to review it and it may take a while, that's the last I heard. Their Terms page still says they'll only ship ammo to Chicago and Cook if you're a FFL dealer. You could try contacting them again if you want.

I placed an order for 500 rounds of 9mm FMJ with http://www.bonefroggunclub.com on Tuesday.

Just received an email notice that the package was shipped [uPS Ground] to Chicago today. Great prices and quick turn around.

Thanks for the confirm! I'll be checking them out for my next ammo purchase.

I placed an order for 500 rounds of 9mm FMJ with http://www.bonefroggunclub.com on Tuesday.

Just received an email notice that the package was shipped [uPS Ground] to Chicago today. Great prices and quick turn around.

A follow up to Bone Frog Gun Club...

A big plus one (+1) for Bone Frog Gun Club. I placed an order for 500 rounds of 9mm on November 1st, it was shipped on November 3rd and it is out for delivery this morning, November 8th – and yes, I live in Chicago.

Not only did I receive a notice from UPS that it was out for delivery, I also received an email from Bone Frog Gun Club early this morning that it was out for delivery.

In short… great prices and great service!

Screen_Shot_2015-11-21_at_8.29.16_AM_sma

They were one of the first sellers I contacted after the new law was passed because I had bought C&R guns from them in the past and liked doing business with them. They said they were going to review it and it may take a while, that's the last I heard. Their Terms page still says they'll only ship ammo to Chicago and Cook if you're a FFL dealer. You could try contacting them again if you want.

Just spent a couple of minutes on the phone with them, and said that "they" (the ISP) is stating that Chicago is on the list of places where ammunition sales are restricted the last time that the manager looked (in November of 2015). I said that I'd be happy to do the legwork and get that clarified for them, and the guy on the phone I talked to seemed receptive, but indicated that they go by the most restrictive laws on the books that they can find, for their own safety.

So if the ISP is actually indicating to dealers that Chicago is restricted for ammo sales, how can we rectify that with sellers that seem to be reasonable?

I'm going to shoot an email to them at their recommendation

Just spent a couple of minutes on the phone with them, and said that "they" (the ISP) is stating that Chicago is on the list of places where ammunition sales are restricted the last time that the manager looked (in November of 2015). I said that I'd be happy to do the legwork and get that clarified for them, and the guy on the phone I talked to seemed receptive, but indicated that they go by the most restrictive laws on the books that they can find, for their own safety.

So if the ISP is actually indicating to dealers that Chicago is restricted for ammo sales, how can we rectify that with sellers that seem to be reasonable?

I'm going to shoot an email to them at their recommendation

Send them the attached PDF, which is the new 2014 ordinance. Page 24 of the PDF (page number at the bottom will say 22) has the old ordinance listed, shows it having been struck out and amended to regulate sales of guns at gun shows only. This is the law for over two years now. ISP is giving people old info, or else the manager hasn't checked as recently as they say.

chicago-gun-shop-ordinance.pdf

Archived