Scum Times Challenge to Rauner --- heeeeere we go!

quackersmacker

It's the same old drivel, and I looked closely to see if there were names associated with this, I half expected to see some familiar names. Instead the coward(s) hide behind the "newspapers editorial board" label.

And I note the Sun-Times no longer allows the unwashed masses to comment on their stories.

It's been that way for a few months. I guess the stockholders were mad that the articles were being disproven in the comments, and that the commentary was often more entertaining and informative than the original.

ETA - Their Facebook Page allows comments on the article. For now.

Just posted this on their FB about the article - we'll see if it stays up:

"Chicago Police continuously confiscate illegal guns" - historically including those seized from law abiding non-residents who honestly answered a question when stopped by the police while traveling through the City for failing to comply with Chicago's firearm registry - you know, the one you had to live in Chicago to participate in. Those same guns were often forfeited in return for dropping the charge that wouldn't stand judicial scrutiny, but CPD gets to put it on the press table and claim another "gun off the street", right?
"License all gun dealers" - you admit it's already done on the federal level, but being unhappy with anything less than complete encumbrance you advocate another level of licensing. News flash for the newsies - they have business licenses. Pursue them that way.
"Require point-of-sale reporting" - you have obviously not purchased a firearm since 1968, the year the latest federal Gun Control Act was passed, as this is already a requirement. More fecal flinging by the typing monkeys.
You demand Mr. Rauner "Improve the background check law" then you go further and call for "Beef(ing) up penalties for failing to report lost and stolen guns" - - you mean add more penalties that won't be enforced? Streetlights McCarthy can say the penalties are ignored, but while they're ignored by the criminals they're also ignored - or more precisely minimized - by the State's Attorney's office. The unenforced law carries no weight, and when the Vice President, in the heat of the post-Newtown press flurry, admits that the federal government doesn't "have the time or manpower to prosecute everybody who lies on a form, that checks a wrong box, that answers a question inaccurately" what does that say to the people?
You seriously expect our state, the deficit and department cutback leader of the country, to spearhead the charge against the leading source of illegal guns, the family members and unconvicted associates of the gang banger and dirtbags killing the kids on our streets, as well as risk disenfranchising the urban voting base?
I also find it ironic that you make these spurious demands to further restrict and limit the ability of law-abiding Illinois residents to exercise their enumerated Second Amendment rights behind the face of the Great and Powerful Oz - excuse me "the Editorial Board" - and the mantle of the First Amendment, while denying your readers and the public the opportunity to comment at the source of the story at your website.
Brave heroes of truth and integrity indeed.

"Common sense" ... what ever happened to "Shall not be infringed?"
I keep hearing their term, but have yet to hear their definition of "common sense".

common sensenoun1.sound practical judgment that is independent of specialized knowledge, training, or the like; normal native intelligence.
Well, that's just scary. An opinion that lacks actual knowledge of the subject. No wonder we treat them like they are idiots. They are.

Didn't Bloomberg's representative with his "assault weapons" lies lose the election. It's a shame that some of them ran unopposed. Assault weapons by definition are automatic and already illegal and it's a term coined by Hitler. Looks like the sun times is part of the conspiracy to disarm the American people and is advancing Bloomberg's agenda. It's no secret that you want to make guns illegal and call them illegal but guns are legal and criminals are to blame and they should be prosecuted and not used as an excuse to infringe on the rights of law abiding citizens.

The NRA is defending the constitution and people's rights, you are extremists and a scourge of lies and propaganda. Common sense gun reform is code for gradually taking guns away. We elected Rauner to be a defender of gun rights and he owes his election to us and not to the people you claim with your made up polls and surveys and he should return the favor to us by removing infringing laws and regulations put in place by people beholden to Bloomberg who are trying to take away our made for civilians semi automatic rifles with lies and propaganda and by calling them assault weapons. We want freedom and not tyranny and treason and that's what the elections showed.

As has already been said, most of those "illegal guns" are otherwise legal guns owned by law abiding residents or non-residents who either did not have a FOID card or forgot to renew it.

Remember, folks, if you don't renew your Illinois stealth gun registry card ... oops, I mean "FOID" card, you are a criminal in this moronic state. I wonder how many ACTUAL illegal guns have actually been seized, meaning, those purchased by people prohibited by law from owning firearms, those purchased by straw men for the same people, or stolen guns/guns which have had the serial number removed? My guess is that you can take the number of guns confiscated during the arrest of gangbangers and others with felony records, and that will approximate that number. Then, check that number against the number of times those actual illegal gun owners were vigorously prosecuted and tried for actual "gun crimes," and proceed to either laugh or cry, depending on how you feel about Leftocrat lies and hypocrisy.

Just posted this on their FB about the article - we'll see if it stays up:

"Chicago Police continuously confiscate illegal guns" - historically including those seized from law abiding non-residents who honestly answered a question when stopped by the police while traveling through the City for failing to comply with Chicago's firearm registry - you know, the one you had to live in Chicago to participate in. Those same guns were often forfeited in return for dropping the charge that wouldn't stand judicial scrutiny, but CPD gets to put it on the press table and claim another "gun off the street", right?
"License all gun dealers" - you admit it's already done on the federal level, but being unhappy with anything less than complete encumbrance you advocate another level of licensing. News flash for the newsies - they have business licenses. Pursue them that way.
"Require point-of-sale reporting" - you have obviously not purchased a firearm since 1968, the year the latest federal Gun Control Act was passed, as this is already a requirement. More fecal flinging by the typing monkeys.
You demand Mr. Rauner "Improve the background check law" then you go further and call for "Beef(ing) up penalties for failing to report lost and stolen guns" - - you mean add more penalties that won't be enforced? Streetlights McCarthy can say the penalties are ignored, but while they're ignored by the criminals they're also ignored - or more precisely minimized - by the State's Attorney's office. The unenforced law carries no weight, and when the Vice President, in the heat of the post-Newtown press flurry, admits that the federal government doesn't "have the time or manpower to prosecute everybody who lies on a form, that checks a wrong box, that answers a question inaccurately" what does that say to the people?
You seriously expect our state, the deficit and department cutback leader of the country, to spearhead the charge against the leading source of illegal guns, the family members and unconvicted associates of the gang banger and dirtbags killing the kids on our streets, as well as risk disenfranchising the urban voting base?
I also find it ironic that you make these spurious demands to further restrict and limit the ability of law-abiding Illinois residents to exercise their enumerated Second Amendment rights behind the face of the Great and Powerful Oz - excuse me "the Editorial Board" - and the mantle of the First Amendment, while denying your readers and the public the opportunity to comment at the source of the story at your website.
Brave heroes of truth and integrity indeed.

Annnnnnddddd....

It's gone, as of now at least.

Perhaps we should just start calling our proposals "common sense gun laws" - or, if that term has been contaminated, maybe "good sense gun laws." I think we have better claim to the term than the antis do. Just look at the logical pretzels they tie themselves into, arguing for bans of guns rarely used in crimes as a public safety measure, or arguing against concealed carry while state after state passed concealed carry and watched crime drop like a rock.

I have a horse-dung translator, give me a second guys

† License all gun dealers. The federal licensing system is weak and lightly enforced. State licensing would empower authorities to act against known sources of illegal firearms. Nearly 20 percent of all Chicago crime guns come from just four local dealers. We don’t have to accept that.

Make it more expensive to be an arms dealer so there is less of them

† Require point-of-sale reporting. The sale of each gun in the state should be recorded, so that authorities can quickly trace the source of guns found at crime scenes.

Make it easier to pass laws that will allow us to outlaw more firearms in the future

† Improve the background check law. Illinois now requires gun sellers to verify buyers have valid Firearms Owner’s Identification cards, but the law has no teeth. We need penalties that would ensure that everyone involved in gun transactions follows the law.

I have no idea what I am doing (seriously what the heck does this even mean)

† Beef up penalties for failing to report lost and stolen guns, a rule intended to discourage gun trafficking. Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy says the current penalties are often ignored because they are insignificant.

I would also like to make gun owners to consider the looming threat of imprisonment if they are a victim of a crime, that would make it less popular

Archived