Opinions on basic non-powered case trimmers

TyGuy

I've got the RCBS. The only complaint, or maybe a notable observation, is the pilot arrangement. The pilot slips into the center of the cutter and is held in place by a set screw, which necessarily pushes the pilot off center just a smidge. That leads to a perceptible wobble and the case appears to flex around a bit as you turn the cutter. However, it has never led to decreased neck tension or anything of the like. You do have to buy cartridge family specific shell holders which isn't a huge deal because they're relatively inexpensive, and you can trim all of the popular stuff with only a few shell holders. It has coarse and hash marked fine adjustments and set up is quick.

The shell holder is quick to swap cases and never slips, and does hold the case square with no propensity cant. I prefer this feature to the collet style shell holders that I've used.

The basic lathe type trimmers work well but are slow for doing any volume of cases. If you are looking for something inexpensive but faster, check out "World's Finest Trimmer". They can be used by hand or with a drill motor and are much faster than the old style trimmers. If money isn't an object, there's always the Giraud. It works like an electric pencil sharpener and is just about as fast.

I use a Dillon trimmer for my most of my trimming. It sizes at the same time it trims. You still need to deprime so it really doesn't save any steps but it does a very nice job trimming and it's fast and accurate.

I have an RCBS manual trimmer and a collet based type. The RCBS is the fastest to use, and holds the case most securely without fiddling. Unlike collets, which retract, the reference surface of the RCBS holder is fixed, regardless of minor case variations. The cutter and pilots are easily replaced. The holder is universal. There are micrometer markings on a threaded collar which can be used to make fine, incremental adjustments.

The spring lever takes a lot of force, so the trimmer must be bolted down. Rather than bolting it to my bench, I have it on a piece of 1/2" aircraft plywood, which can be fastened to the bench with a clamp or hold-down, and stored when not in use.

Best of all, it is fast to use, which is nice for processing a lot of .223 collected from a range (with permission). The pilots are stored in holes in the base, and easily dumped. I strongly recommend a carbide cutter, which is faster and stays sharp.

I have the LE Wilson trimmer, the one with the micrometer.

For trimming rifle cases, it's done a fantastic job. Each cut is exact. For pistol, it leaves much to be desired because you have to pound each piece of brass into the die, then after trimming, you have to pound it out again. That would take way too long, but then again, who trims pistol brass lol.

Tagging along :)

Grass, gas, or ammo, nobody rides for free

Cases should always be resized before trimming. Cases that size off a shoulder (e.g., .223 and.308) should be sized according to a case gauge that measures the shoulder length to the base (e.g., Wilson or Dillon, ~$25). For these calibers, the sizing die is normally backed off a little, not touching the shell holder like for straight-walled cases.

RCBS has cutters which trim and chamfer in one setting for certain calibers, if you can find them. However, It's not that hard to chamfer cases inside and out with a small hand tool. I usually trim in batches of 100 to 200 cases, and chamfer by hand.

I have an older hand cranked trimmer, but don't remember the brand. It really came in handy once, when I messed up and primed a whole batch of 7mm mag brass before it was trimmed. Since it just grabs the case rim, I didn't have to knock out all the good primers.

That said, I would still look into the Lee products, as that's what I mainly use. They have a trimmer body and base that use caliber specific shell holders & length gauge (for like 5 bucks each). The length gauge goes all the way through the case and primer hole so you have a true overall length rather than relying on the shoulder. They can be used by hand, and I do so if there's not many cases to prep. But they can also be chucked into a drill, so you can trim, then chamfer inside and out, and even use a bit of steel wool on stubbornly tarnished cases in a matter of seconds. Being able to do all these steps basically in one shot without removing the case can be a real time saver. And using a cordless drill lets you do it at the kitchen table or in front of the TV, too. :)

I used a Forster to trim straight wall .375 rifle brass after first sizing to .30-.30 and then to 7 MM International Rimmed for handgun silhouette. Had very good results with it. Their stuff always impresses me for how simple it is yet how well it works.

I refuse to use Lee products on general principal. I was on vacation in Wisconsin & happened to be in Hartford. Spur of the moment stopped by the Lee factory to see if there was any chance of getting a tour. Ended up being guided by Lee himself and I let him know I appreciated him taking the time. Afterwards sitting in a conference room making small talk and he asks about what I reload with. Uh oh. I can't think fast enough to lie, so I told the truth....Dillon.

I thought the guy was going to stroke out. He got tight, then he got red, and then the hospitality was over and don't let the door knob hit ya. Instead of using the opportunity to find out what I liked & didn't like about Dillon, he just got bent. So much for enlightened leadership. I ended up making a guilt purchase of an Auto Prime that ended up being an non-ergonomic piece of junk. I'd bought a few Lee products before that incident and none since. Nor will there be.

I've used the Lee, it does the job, but it is slow(power drill).

The single cal drill types are nice, but typically caliber specific, and that adds up to a lot of cash and they aren't near as fast as advertised. I've watched the vids and it is obvious.

The lathe types are all similar enough, but some have hidden extra costs. I have the Lyman Universal, it will trim a case every 10 seconds because a simple lever releases and captures the brass in the universal holder, once you've done it a few times you can go quite fast. As fast as any of the powered single cal trimmers(like the WFT). It centers on the primer hole, so decent concentricity, but maybe not as good as a collet type(forster) but those cost speed and are more for BR types.

Archived