Crime on CTA/Mass Transit ... Reports and Data

Dr. Rat

Group Trashes 7-Eleven, Brutally Beats CTA Rider with Hammer: Charges

COOK COUNTY CRIMINAL COURTHOUSE — A group of people trashed a Downtown 7-Eleven before brutally attacking a CTA passenger with a hammer, prosecutors said Friday.

The CTA victim, who'd been riding the Blue Line to work, suffered a broken orbital bone and may have permanent vision loss, Cook County prosecutors said during a bond hearing Friday.

Police arrested six suspects early Wednesday, including a man who's wanted for allegedly raping and robbing a 23-year-old man with cerebral palsy in Grant Park on Feb. 2.

The recent crime spree started about 11:45 p.m. Tuesday when roughly 10 people walked into a 7-Eleven at 801 S. State St., prosecutors said.

Na Eem Hoskins, 24, began dancing to distract the 25-year-old store clerk, prosecutors alleged. Meanwhile, Hoskins' accomplices stuffed food and other items into their pockets and bags.

When the clerk tried to stop the group, 19-year-old Deashley Woodard began hitting the man in his head and face, according to prosecutors. Woodard then threw trash around the store before she and her accomplices ran away.

The entire incident was captured on 7-Eleven surveillance footage, court records show.

A few hours later, the group, which consisted of about 10 people, boarded a CTA Blue Line train, according to prosecutors. There was only one other passenger on the train, a man on his way to work.

The man was concerned by the group's "loud, rude behavior," prosecutors said, and tried moving to a different train car as the "L" passed through the 800 block of North Milwaukee Avenue.

That's when the group attacked the man — hitting and kicking him as they followed him to another car, authorities said. The group stomped on the victim and allegedly beat him with sticks they had brought on the train.

Woodard, meanwhile, pulled a hammer out of her purse and began to beat the man in his back, arms and legs, according to prosecutors. The victim eventually blacked out.

In court Friday, prosecutors told Judge Peggy Chiampas the man could suffer permanent vision loss as a result of the attack, which broke his orbital bone.

The entire attack was captured on CTA surveillance footage.

Police were able to arrest six members of the group, including two juveniles, about 2 a.m. Wednesday in the 500 block of South State Street, court records show.

Police had released a description of the group after the 7-Eleven robbery, an arrest report said, and CTA security notified beat officers when the suspects got off a Downtown train.

One of the alleged attackers, 23-year-old Allen McDowell, was carrying another man's Ventra card at the time, prosecutors said.

The Ventra card's owner had reported a robbery and rape about a week earlier on Feb. 2 in the 300 block of South Columbus Drive, prosecutors said. McDowell has been charged with the rape.

Prosecutors allege McDowell met the victim Downtown, where they shared a cigar and alcohol in an alley.

The pair then headed to Grant Park, where McDowell threatened the victim with a heavy object and told the man he'd killed people before, according to prosecutors. McDowell allegedly raped the man and forced him to perform oral sex — before stealing the victim's wallet, cellphone and Ventra card.

The victim reported the crime to police, and a rape kit was collected at a nearby hospital, prosecutors said.

Group Trashes 7-Eleven, Brutally Beats CTA Rider with Hammer: Charges

COOK COUNTY CRIMINAL COURTHOUSE — A group of people trashed a Downtown 7-Eleven before brutally attacking a CTA passenger with a hammer, prosecutors said Friday.

The CTA victim, who'd been riding the Blue Line to work, suffered a broken orbital bone and may have permanent vision loss, Cook County prosecutors said during a bond hearing Friday.

Police arrested six suspects early Wednesday, including a man who's wanted for allegedly raping and robbing a 23-year-old man with cerebral palsy in Grant Park on Feb. 2.

The recent crime spree started about 11:45 p.m. Tuesday when roughly 10 people walked into a 7-Eleven at 801 S. State St., prosecutors said.

Na Eem Hoskins, 24, began dancing to distract the 25-year-old store clerk, prosecutors alleged. Meanwhile, Hoskins' accomplices stuffed food and other items into their pockets and bags.

When the clerk tried to stop the group, 19-year-old Deashley Woodard began hitting the man in his head and face, according to prosecutors. Woodard then threw trash around the store before she and her accomplices ran away.

The entire incident was captured on 7-Eleven surveillance footage, court records show.

A few hours later, the group, which consisted of about 10 people, boarded a CTA Blue Line train, according to prosecutors. There was only one other passenger on the train, a man on his way to work.

The man was concerned by the group's "loud, rude behavior," prosecutors said, and tried moving to a different train car as the "L" passed through the 800 block of North Milwaukee Avenue.

That's when the group attacked the man — hitting and kicking him as they followed him to another car, authorities said. The group stomped on the victim and allegedly beat him with sticks they had brought on the train.

Woodard, meanwhile, pulled a hammer out of her purse and began to beat the man in his back, arms and legs, according to prosecutors. The victim eventually blacked out.

In court Friday, prosecutors told Judge Peggy Chiampas the man could suffer permanent vision loss as a result of the attack, which broke his orbital bone.

The entire attack was captured on CTA surveillance footage.

Police were able to arrest six members of the group, including two juveniles, about 2 a.m. Wednesday in the 500 block of South State Street, court records show.

Police had released a description of the group after the 7-Eleven robbery, an arrest report said, and CTA security notified beat officers when the suspects got off a Downtown train.

One of the alleged attackers, 23-year-old Allen McDowell, was carrying another man's Ventra card at the time, prosecutors said.

The Ventra card's owner had reported a robbery and rape about a week earlier on Feb. 2 in the 300 block of South Columbus Drive, prosecutors said. McDowell has been charged with the rape.

Prosecutors allege McDowell met the victim Downtown, where they shared a cigar and alcohol in an alley.

The pair then headed to Grant Park, where McDowell threatened the victim with a heavy object and told the man he'd killed people before, according to prosecutors. McDowell allegedly raped the man and forced him to perform oral sex — before stealing the victim's wallet, cellphone and Ventra card.

The victim reported the crime to police, and a rape kit was collected at a nearby hospital, prosecutors said.

So, I know it's not politically correct, and brings up a very troubling image, but does anyone else her start thinking of Bernard Goetz when they read things like this?

• 3 weeks later...

Woman robbed by men who followed her from Brown Line station: http://www.cwbchicago.com/2016/03/woman-robbers-followed-me-from-brown.html?m=1

Unfortunately these stories are now common place for the CTA, the Lakeview area in general has seen a spike in robberies and burglaries http://bit.ly/LakeviewCrimeSpike .Folks from other areas are coming to Lakeview looking to come up on unsuspecting citizens who are just trying to go about their day.

Woman robbed by men who followed her from Brown Line station: http://www.cwbchicago.com/2016/03/woman-robbers-followed-me-from-brown.html?m=1

Unfortunately these stories are now common place for the CTA, the Lakeview area in general has seen a spike in robberies and burglaries http://bit.ly/LakeviewCrimeSpike .Folks from other areas are coming to Lakeview looking to come up on unsuspecting citizens who are just trying to go about their day.

And I am finally moving out of this rapidly suppurating cesspool of crime tourism. Two months, and Lakeview can s#ck it!

This is probably a good example of CTA crime that doesn't get recorded as CTA crime.

One of the problems with trying to quantify CTA crime is that the crime must take place on or in actual CTA property for it to be assigned the "CTA" location code in the Chicago crime portal.
So if someone is accosted on the sidewalk outside of a CTA station, or 10 feet from a CTA bus stop - the location is not noted as "CTA nnn", the location is noted as "SIDEWALK".
Also, many parking facilities, while they are right next to the CTA and used almost exclusively by CTA patrons, are not actually part of the CTA. Even some parking facilities which say "CTA Parking" might not be CTA property, I'm assuming the CTA has entered into some revenue sharing scheme with the property owners or something. So if a person is victimized in a CTA parking lot - the crime might not have "CTA" as the location code, it will have the street address of the parking facility.
The most recent day that the Crime Portal has data for is Feb 24. When the 26th gets fully populated, I'll look for this crime in the portal and see what the location is reported as.

And I am finally moving out of this rapidly suppurating cesspool of crime tourism. Two months, and Lakeview can s#ck it!

What area are you moving to?

A very quiet place in Irving Park. I scouted the neighborhood and surrounding area. It's got a lot of families in it, lots of new businesses opening up, and is outside of any "claimed" gang territory. The closest are the Familia Stone, which seem to be in significant decline in activity, even though they are still considered active.

A very quiet place in Irving Park. I scouted the neighborhood and surrounding area. It's got a lot of families in it, lots of new businesses opening up, and is outside of any "claimed" gang territory. The closest are the Familia Stone, which seem to be in significant decline in activity, even though they are still considered active.

They are still quite active, particularly against the LKst faction of the Latin Kings. Gentrification, thankfully, is whittling away at both.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/man-stabbed-on-red-line-train-on-north-side/

A man was stabbed on a Red Line train early Sunday in the Lake View neighborhood on the North Side.

The 26-year-old was exiting the train at the Belmont Station at 945 W. Belmont Ave. when he was stabbed in the abdomen by another male, according to Chicago Police.

So the case where a woman was followed from the Brown Line station at Paulina and robbed at gunpoint is definitely a CTA crime: http://www.cwbchicago.com/2016/03/woman-robbers-followed-me-from-brown.html?m=1

But the City of Chicago Data Portal lists the location description as "sidewalk" This is why I say that even though the data in the portal paints a really horrible picture of crime at CTA locations, its even worse than what is being reported because of many many cases like this where criminals prey on CTA riders but the location description doesn't reference the CTA.

https://data.cityofchicago.org/Public-Safety/Crimes-2001-to-present/ijzp-q8t2/12522949

ID
Case Number
HZ165286
Date
02/26/2016 12:10:00 AM
Block
016XX W ROSCOE ST
IUCR
031A
Primary Type
ROBBERY
Description
ARMED: HANDGUN
Location Description
SIDEWALK
Arrest
Domestic
Beat
District
Ward
Community Area
FBI Code
X Coordinate
Y Coordinate
Year
Updated On
03/04/2016 03:46:57 PM
Latitude
Longitude

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/man-stabbed-on-red-line-train-on-north-side/ A man was stabbed on a Red Line train early Sunday in the Lake View neighborhood on the North Side. The 26-year-old was exiting the train at the Belmont Station at 945 W. Belmont Ave. when he was stabbed in the abdomen by another male, according to Chicago Police.

Aw yeah, dat's muh hood!

There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

It is always possible to either look at a specific timeframe or look at a specific category of crime and then declare crime is down.

For instance, the number of murders at CTA locations decreased by %100 from 2013 to 2014, there was one murder in 2013 and none in 2014.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/index/all

Man Shot Near Division Blue Line Stop Wednesday: Police

WICKER PARK — A man was shot and wounded near the Division Blue Line "L" stop Wednesday around 6 p.m., police said.

The 19-year-old man was in the 1200 block of North Milwaukee Avenue when he sustained a gunshot wound, according to Chicago Police spokesman Thomas Sweeney. He was taken to Stroger Hospital.

Police on the scene said the shooter fled northbound and has not been caught. Wednesday night, blood was on the pavement in front of a food mart and Wigs Plus.

No additional information was immediately available.

Dan, a 28-year-old Wicker Park resident who declined to give his last name, was coming out of the train station around 6 p.m. "I heard several shots. I ran west whenever the light was green."

He went to a nearby bar and saw an ambulance come.

"I am not shocked because it's happened before, but it's crazy it was 30 feet away from me, " he said.

This is a developing story. Please refresh for updates.

Bus Driver just got shot.

I've been listening to Citywide 2 tonight, 460.175 (123.0) DETECTIVES, CANINE, MOUNTED, DEPUTIES, IAD, VICE, ET'S

just for something new. Apparently all of tonights shootings have been called into this frequency, with descriptions of where person was shot (ie. face, buttocks, etc) and their conditions (critical, etc.). It's been nonstop all night.

I just heard a bus driver was shot. He is ok, but has pain in his arm, either from bullet or glass. He was driving his bus south on Lafayette when a bullet came through his windshield. He didn't see anyone shooting at him, he was just driving and got hit. The bullet is laying on his dashboard. He drove to 95th and the Red Line and met the cops there. They are investigating.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-green-line-robberies-20160322-story.html

Chicago police are warning Green Line riders of two robberies on the Lake Street line in recent weeks.

In both incidents, two robbers approached commuters on CTA “L” trains and demanded their jackets and cell phones, according to an alert issued Tuesday afternoon by Area North detectives.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-green-line-robberies-20160322-story.html

Chicago police are warning Green Line riders of two robberies on the Lake Street line in recent weeks.

In both incidents, two robbers approached commuters on CTA “L” trains and demanded their jackets and cell phones, according to an alert issued Tuesday afternoon by Area North detectives.

Some years back, about 11 or so, I got stabbed in the wrist taking a rather blingy Lenox brand Gold boxcutter from an honor student who tried to rob me on that leg of the Green line. I got a scar and a nice little souvenir that I still use in my workshop, and he got a compound break of his wrist, elbow, and facial bones.

Fortunately, I had a roll of duct tape on me, because the cut went in all the way to my anterior ulnar head in my wrist.

I suspect that he needed more than duct tape.

http://i.imgur.com/wBgV3iS.jpg

• 1 month later...

Someone from my church was beat up pretty badly by two people on the "L" train yesterday for her phone. Those are the only details I have and I don't see it online anywhere. Anyhow, just thought I'd add to this thread. Hopefully this state will stop harboring criminals on the CTA and allow us to protect ourselves. Doubt it though.

Someone from my church was beat up pretty badly by two people on the "L" train yesterday for her phone. Those are the only details I have and I don't see it online anywhere. Anyhow, just thought I'd add to this thread. Hopefully this state will stop harboring criminals on the CTA and allow us to protect ourselves. Doubt it though.

(I presume) he's talking about this:

http://abc7chicago.com/news/student-beaten-on-blue-line-says-bystanders-did-nothing-to-stop-attack/1315888/

(I presume) he's talking about this:

http://abc7chicago.com/news/student-beaten-on-blue-line-says-bystanders-did-nothing-to-stop-attack/1315888/

Yes, this is her. Thanks for locating it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found another resource that shows the extent of the crime problem on the CTA - the CTA's own website !

On their security page of the website, they're bragging about their cameras:

http://www.transitchicago.com/security/#aiding_fight

Cameras aiding in the fight against crime

Our camera network is an invaluable tool for police and their investigation into crimes committed either on or near CTA properties. CTA cameras have been successfully used in detecting crime patterns and serial offenders involved in both reported and unreported crimes, and have even led to the apprehension of offenders through real-time, remote policing missions.

Video Assisted Arrests
Since June 2011, when we began tracking video assisted arrests, CTA’s cameras have aided police in the investigation, arrest and charging of at least 926 individuals, in connection with at least 843

cases where a crime was committed on or near CTA properties.

January 1 - December 31, 2015

In 2015, CTA cameras aided police in the arrest of at least 256 individuals in connection with at least 253 cases where a crime was committed on or near CTA properties.

Archived