Crime on CTA/Mass Transit ... Reports and Data

Dr. Rat

I ride the CTA often and thus am completely disarmed (since I follow laws) and I see unstable people on there all the time... and here's the worst part: I almost never ever see police officers, except maybe every once in a while, rarely, in a station.

but it's rare. and i never see them on the actual train

My wife and I took the green line this past Sunday night from Oak Park to Chicago to attend a concert at House of Blues(also posted GFZ). On our way into the city at one point a male nut job got on the train and began yelling and screaming that he was put in jail wrongfully, etc. Asking for money...Obviously he was not playing with a full deck or high or something. He got off at next stop without incident, but certainly got my heart rate and BP up. I felt completely helpless as I was not carrying at the time due to the CTA being posted as GFZ. This could have easily escalated and who is gonna help you...they gotta get ccw holders to be able to carry on the trains/buses...no such thing as GFZ in regards to criminals.

• 4 weeks later...

I ride the CTA often and thus am completely disarmed (since I follow laws) and I see unstable people on there all the time... and here's the worst part: I almost never ever see police officers, except maybe every once in a while, rarely, in a station.

My wife and I took the green line this past Sunday night from Oak Park to Chicago to attend a concert at House of Blues(also posted GFZ). On our way into the city at one point a male nut job got on the train and began yelling and screaming that he was put in jail wrongfully, etc. Asking for money...Obviously he was not playing with a full deck or high or something. He got off at next stop without incident, but certainly got my heart rate and BP up. I felt completely helpless as I was not carrying at the time due to the CTA being posted as GFZ. This could have easily escalated and who is gonna help you...they gotta get ccw holders to be able to carry on the trains/buses...no such thing as GFZ in regards to criminals.

Yeah, it's crazy. I don't think I've ever seen a cop on the CTA. Occasionally I'll see a CTA worker on there.

I remember being in Paris and seeing cops at the entrance to the metro. They were even on a few trains.

Yeah, it's crazy. I don't think I've ever seen a cop on the CTA. Occasionally I'll see a CTA worker on there.

I remember being in Paris and seeing cops at the entrance to the metro. They were even on a few trains.

The only time I encountered a CPD officer on the CTA was about 10 years ago, when an undercover detective noticed the work-knife I had forgotten I had clipped to my pocket when I was doing some maintenance at a friend's place. He actually started to write me a citation for carrying a knife on public transportation, but then asked if my cane had a concealed sword in it. I told him that, no, I use it as a walking aid because the Department of Veterans Affairs doctors recommended that I use one because of nerve damage in my leg from a combat injury. When he found out that I was a disabled vet, he gave me back my knife and "let me off with a warning" for carrying the knife, which was a folding utility-type knife and not even a "street" knife.

Although I appreciated the bye due to the "Disabled Vet" card, it was kind of annoying that with all of the crime on the CTA even a decade ago, you had a cop giving a citation to someone who was obviously not up to no good and carrying what was essentially a tool.

Cameras get a nice picture of you getting shot, stabbed,beat up. A lot of good that did you. Really need to get carry on public transportation.

+1

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

The only time I encountered a CPD officer on the CTA was about 10 years ago, when an undercover detective noticed the work-knife I had forgotten I had clipped to my pocket when I was doing some maintenance at a friend's place. He actually started to write me a citation for carrying a knife on public transportation, but then asked if my cane had a concealed sword in it. I told him that, no, I use it as a walking aid because the Department of Veterans Affairs doctors recommended that I use one because of nerve damage in my leg from a combat injury. When he found out that I was a disabled vet, he gave me back my knife and "let me off with a warning" for carrying the knife, which was a folding utility-type knife and not even a "street" knife.

Although I appreciated the bye due to the "Disabled Vet" card, it was kind of annoying that with all of the crime on the CTA even a decade ago, you had a cop giving a citation to someone who was obviously not up to no good and carrying what was essentially a tool.

But your cane does have a sword in it, doesn't it?

But your cane does have a sword in it, doesn't it?

It does not, in fact. It's either a Cold Steel City Stick with a brass point on it under the rubber foot, which is entirely legal to carry. In Chicago, and possibly Illinois, carrying a sword cane is a concealed weapon under the UUW statute and I think even now it would be illegal to use.

Whereas, what i have is more like a mace with a spear point on the end, but still completely allowable.

I don't own a sword cane, but if I could find a definitive answer about their legality, and I found one that would stand up to the rigors of close-quarters combat as well as a carbon fiber cane, I might get one just to have it as an option.

It does not, in fact. It's either a Cold Steel City Stick with a brass point on it under the rubber foot, which is entirely legal to carry.

Is it hollow?

It is not. It appears to have some sort of clear, polymer rod down the center of the shaft. You certainly can't put anything bigger than a couple of toothpicks inside the cane, even if you spent the required 30 seconds unscrewing the head.

• 2 weeks later...

Crime on the L, CTA buses is up; 90% of serious incidents go unsolved

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/crime-on-cta-l-trains-buses-up-but-90-percent-of-serious-incidents-go-unsolved-the-watchdogs/

Crime overall on the CTA in the city went up 16 percent last year — mostly thefts of cellphones and other items.

And the CTA doesn’t keep statistics on crimes that take place in the suburbs aboard its buses or trains or at stations.

Those are among the key findings of a Chicago Sun-Times analysis of CTA and police data from the beginning of 2015 through mid-April...

It does not, in fact. It's either a Cold Steel City Stick with a brass point on it under the rubber foot, which is entirely legal to carry.

Is it hollow?

It is not. It appears to have some sort of clear, polymer rod down the center of the shaft. You certainly can't put anything bigger than a couple of toothpicks inside the cane, even if you spent the required 30 seconds unscrewing the head.

Too bad. A piece of 3/16 or 1/4 music wire might make a nice reinforcement...

Man Armed With Assault Rifle Arrested At Belmont Red Line Station

Charges are pending against a 29-year-old man who was arrested this morning with an assault rifle at the Belmont Red Line station, 945 West Belmont.

Officers responded to a call of a man with a gun on the southbound platform around 6:30 a.m., according to the department’s News Affairs office.

The man was found in possession of an assault rifle “with a huge clip,” a witness said. A police source said the man had “an AK-47 tied around his neck” when officers arrived.

The offender had suffered a gunshot wound in recent days, according to a second source.

Hard to believe the AWB and "no guns" signs didn't stop him.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/crime-on-cta-l-trains-buses-up-but-90-percent-of-serious-incidents-go-unsolved-the-watchdogs/

Crime overall on the CTA in the city went up 16 percent last year — mostly thefts of cellphones and other items.

And the CTA doesn’t keep statistics on crimes that take place in the suburbs aboard its buses or trains or at stations.

Those are among the key findings of a Chicago Sun-Times analysis of CTA and police data from the beginning of 2015 through mid-April...

This.

This needs to be shoved in the face of every single anti-gun person who thinks that nobody should be allowed to carry on public transportation.

armed habitual criminal and felony UUW

I've never heard of these charges, are these charges stemming from SB1722 or is NBC5 just making the charge descriptions up?

It's a real statute.

(720 ILCS 5/24-1.7)

Sec. 24-1.7. Armed habitual criminal.

(a) A person commits the offense of being an armed habitual criminal if he or she receives, sells, possesses, or transfers any firearm after having been convicted a total of 2 or more times of any combination of the following offenses:

(1) a forcible felony as defined in Section 2-8 of

this Code;

(2) unlawful use of a weapon by a felon; aggravated

unlawful use of a weapon; aggravated discharge of a firearm; vehicular hijacking; aggravated vehicular hijacking; aggravated battery of a child as described in Section 12-4.3 or subdivision ( :cool:(1) of Section 12-3.05; intimidation; aggravated intimidation; gunrunning; home invasion; or aggravated battery with a firearm as described in Section 12-4.2 or subdivision (e)(1), (e)(2), (e)(3), or (e)(4) of Section 12-3.05; or

(3) any violation of the Illinois Controlled

Substances Act or the Cannabis Control Act that is punishable as a Class 3 felony or higher.

( :cool: Sentence. Being an armed habitual criminal is a Class X felony.

Please update the signage to include rifles. Also, he had two 'magazine clips' - cracked me up.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-belmont-red-line-rifle-arrest-20170730-story.html

A West Garfield Park man who was found on a Lakeview CTA platform with a loaded AK-47 rifle strapped to his chest tried to conceal the weapon by wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt, authorities said Sunday.

Jordan Watkins, 29, was arrested Saturday morning and ordered held on $150,000 bond Sunday by Judge Maria Kuriakos Ciesil at the Leighton Criminal Court Building. He was charged with felony unlawful use of a weapon by a parolee and felony armed habitual criminal issuance of warrant. Watkins is currently on parole in an unrelated case.

From Our Partners:

…This Hat Might Change the Way You Listen to Music

Officers responded to reports of a person with a gun on the CTA platform, 945 W. Belmont Ave., near Sheffield Avenue, and Watkins was found with a loaded rifle strapped to his chest and two magazine clips in his bag, prosecutors said. He was arrested about 6:25 a.m., according to police.

The stop serves the Red, Brown and Purple lines.

Family members say Watkins was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and schizophrenia as a child and is in need of medical attention. Octora Adams, 51, said her son was the victim of a shooting last month and was probably carrying the gun in self-defense.

“My son doesn’t just walk around with a gun. He is mentally disabled. That’s why I’m here in his defense,” Adams said. “I’m just thankful the police didn’t shoot him down when they found him. I’m thankful my son is alive.”

Adams said her son was shot once in the back and once in the arm near Chicago and Ridgeway avenues on June 17. A 29-year-old man suffered those injuries at that location on that day, according to police.

Watkins, of the 4600 block of West Adams Street, was released on parole in August 2016 after serving three years in prison as part of a six-year sentence for a 2013 armed robbery case, according to state records.

Prosecutors filed a motion to monitor the source of Watkins' bail because they say he is a member of the Traveling Vice Lord street gang.

Copyright © 2017, Chicago Tribune
This article is related to: Crime,
Chicago Transit Authority

Is it hollow?

Too bad. A piece of 3/16 or 1/4 music wire might make a nice reinforcement...

I suppose if you wanted to be able to garrote people if you felt like it. That would be an interesting thing to explain the self-defense aspect for.

I still have never heard of these charges, in the past there was UUW and AUUW not "felony" UUW. The first time I heard " Armed habitual criminal" was when Zalewski put together the first bill to increase minimum sentences for felons found to be in possession of a firearm. I think the "felony" UUW is just inaccurate, but I am wondering if the Armed Habitual Criminal charge comes from the new SB1722.

Maybe I should read through the act again...

This.

This needs to be shoved in the face of every single anti-gun person who thinks that nobody should be allowed to carry on public transportation.

They're morons. All that matters is their ideology that guns = bad and guns on public transit = massacre waiting to happen, and they'll never budge. They have to be forced to accept it through a lawsuit challenging the ban on constitutional grounds.

I actually feel sorry for the guy carrying the AK. I hope he gets the help he needs.

It would be nice if he got "help" and his metal illness were treated, but the main thing is that he needs to be separated from the rest of society until such time that he really can be proven to no longer be a danger - or for the rest of his life.

• 2 weeks later...

The bottom line is that the Chicago police do not even try to solve property crimes. Have a break-in at your house? Chicago police will not even come most times unless you tell them the bad guy is still in the house. Then, they may show up in 45 minutes. Have a car accident but no one injured, Chicago police will not come to the scene. They are so busy chasing after gun shots apparently that there is no time for other crimes. And homicides, how many result in an arrest? Less than 15%. There are over 2,000 violent crimes a month in Chicago; about 7,000 property crimes and another 3,500 of what are called quality of life crimes for a total of 12,500 crimes a month and that doesn't count the unreported crimes. Chicago arrested about 50,000 people in 2016, down almost 30% from 2015. The odds for any one with half a brain that commits a crime are pretty good for getting away with the crime. The supposed justification for sanctuary city status is to get those in Chicago illegally to help solve crimes. Given that Chicago solves few of the crimes that occur, that plan does not seem to be working.

Archived