Crime on CTA/Mass Transit ... Reports and Data

Dr. Rat

My wife and I took the green line this past Sunday night from Oak Park to Chicago to attend a concert at House of Blues(also posted GFZ). On our way into the city at one point a male nut job got on the train and began yelling and screaming that he was put in jail wrongfully, etc. Asking for money...Obviously he was not playing with a full deck or high or something. He got off at next stop without incident, but certainly got my heart rate and BP up. I felt completely helpless as I was not carrying at the time due to the CTA being posted as GFZ. This could have easily escalated and who is gonna help you...they gotta get ccw holders to be able to carry on the trains/buses...no such thing as GFZ in regards to criminals.

My wife and I took the green line this past Sunday night from Oak Park to Chicago to attend a concert at House of Blues(also posted GFZ). On our way into the city at one point a male nut job got on the train and began yelling and screaming that he was put in jail wrongfully, etc. Asking for money...Obviously he was not playing with a full deck or high or something. He got off at next stop without incident, but certainly got my heart rate and BP up. I felt completely helpless as I was not carrying at the time due to the CTA being posted as GFZ. This could have easily escalated and who is gonna help you...they gotta get ccw holders to be able to carry on the trains/buses...no such thing as GFZ in regards to criminals.

While I generally avoid the Green line more than others, this guy is exhibiting the normal "L" type of crazy. Of course you should always be on your guard but this particular type of crazy is common and generally harmless.I'm speaking in generalizations here because I've been riding the "L" for a long time and have seen a lot of people just like this guy. Still I can see why people who rarely if ever ride the "L" or out-of-towners get jumpy around them.

Yeah, this is standard behavior on CTA trains. People hop on and then ask for money, usually giving some story. I remember one guy who gave a great performance about being having made mistakes and was trying to get his life together and get back on his feet and how he needed money to get to family in Milwaukee or something. It almost sounded genuinely sincere the first time I heard it. Almost. But then I saw the same guy give the same story about a dozen more times over the next several months.

I only felt threatened twice as I recall. The first was when some guy started preaching on the train and started saying homosexuals are evil sinners and condemned, etc. This was on the Red Line near the Belmont stop, i.e. right near Boystown. During the guy's tirade one of the passengers announced in a deadpan tone "Well, I'm gay." Crazy preacher absolutely lost it. Stood on the seat next to the passenger and started making violent motions and shouting very angry and hateful things. The passenger was pinned to the window by crazy preacher and everyone else on the train started studying their phones even more intently than they were before. The emergency button was right next to crazy preacher so it was out of the question. Once we got to the station several people quickly hopped off and disappeared. I got out and ran toward the front of the train while waving my arms to get the driver's attention. Luckily the driver saw me and when I told him what was happening he radioed in for police. The cops must have been close because they arrived almost instantly and the driver took them to the train car which still had angry shouting coming from it. A Brown line train came up on the other side of the platform and at the time I lived equidistant between the Red Line and the Brown Line. Since I didn't want to wait around for the Red Line to get going again, and since my good deed was already done, I hopped on the Brown Line.

The other time was on the Blue Line. A homeless guy stood in the middle of the train car and peed into a Gatorade bottle. My wife and I exited the car and went to the next one up. I pushed the emergency button but the driver couldn't hear me on the intercom. When we get to the next station, the speakers announce "We are experiencing a delay and we regret the inconvenience" while the driver walks to our car. Meanwhile, the homeless guy decides to wander to our car too, probably suspecting someone in his car was going to rat him out. The driver asks who pushed the button. I told him I did and told him that a guy was peeing on the train, and in fact that guy had just walked into the car before the driver arrived. The driver got an annoyed look and told the homeless guy to get off the train. Homeless guy refused. Driver gets a defeated look, shrugs, and goes back to the front of the train. Homeless guy starts staring daggers at me and stands by the door. I stare back at him. Yet again the other passengers look away or bury their heads into their phones. The train doors close and we start to move. My wife is livid at the driver. We work our way to the other set of doors and get off at the next stop. I believe we called the CTA to complain about the situation, but I didn't receive any followup.

A person can pay a fare and ride the system pretty much all day, switching direction and lines at will, so a certain amount of craziness is to be expected. I was totally shocked by how the situation on the Blue Line played out though. We switched to the Metra shortly after and the experience has been like night and day. But that makes sense since all trips are one way, conductors walk the cars, and the tickets are more expensive. The CTA is very useful, but the way the driver on the Blue Line handled the situation really drove home the fact that I was responsible for my own safety. Public transportation should not be a prohibited location.

• 3 weeks later...

Police are warning residents and CTA travelers in the Loop after a group of men punched and robbed victims, on the sidewalk and once on a Red Line train, in March. According to police, a man traveling in a group of three or four asks a "distracting question" then throws several punches to the victim's face. Others in the group then dig through the victim's pockets for cell phones and wallets.

http://chicagoist.com/2017/03/17/police_warn_of_violent_robberies_on.php

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/man-shot-in-head-on-busch-stadium-metrolink-platform-not/article_b830dfb8-f91c-5b9f-9025-22d28538fb6a.html

The shooting happened on the Missouri side of the river, but according to the details, it looks like the riders boarded on the Illinois side.

lhampton

Victim died yesterday.

ST. LOUIS, Mo. (KMOV.com) -

Video that was allegedly shot at the DeBaliviere MetroLink station showing violence was released this past weekend.

The 39-second video was allegedly shot on Friday and shows several people throwing punches and at least two fights breaking out at the same. At one point, it appears a woman intervenes to try and stop the fighting.

St. Louis Police said they are looking into the video, which was released one week after a man was shot and killed by a stray bullet at a MetroLink stop across from Busch Stadium.

One passenger told News 4 she still feels safe. She takes MetroLink every day from her home in Wellston to her job in Brentwood.

“I’ve been riding all my life and feel safe. Every once and awhile, you got some crazy people, young people, old people. Other than that, I don’t have a problem with it,” said MetroLink passenger Desiree Redus.

Others said some stops and routes are safer than others.

“Certain stops like Union Station, individuals are selling drugs and stuff like that. They don’t hassle anybody, they just ask and move on,” said MetroLink passenger Peter Collier.

MetroLink security says they are asking police departments it works with to step up their efforts, adding that their own security officers will be working overtime.

http://www.kmov.com/story/35007982/video-surfaces-of-more-violence-st-a-metrolink-platform

• 2 weeks later...
Posted: Apr 06, 2017 5:45 AM CDTUpdated: Apr 06, 2017 6:45 AM CDT
By Stephanie Baumer, Online News Producer
http://kmov.images.worldnow.com/images/13554909_G.jpgThe UMSL South MetroLink station (Credit: KMOV)

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) – A man is dead after being shot on a MetroLink train overnight.

The man, described by police as being in his early 20s, was reportedly shot after getting into a fight with the suspect on the train around 11:15 p.m. Wednesday. According to police, the fight occurred in the back of the train as it approached the UMSL South MetroLink Station.

After shooting the victim, the suspect left the train at the UMSL South station, located at 7790 Natural Bridge. Officers were able to take the suspect into custody shortly after the incident. Police said a gun was recovered from the 18-year-old suspect.

Anyone with information regarding the shooting is asked to contact police or CrimeStoppers.

The victim has not been identified.

No other details have been released.

http://www.kmov.com/story/35083940/person-dead-after-being-shot-on-metrolink-train-overnight

Just remember if you are on the L and you do not encounter a crazy person it means you are the crazy person!

FWIW, I carry pepper spray on the L. Legal and I can get away from the crazies and panhandlers if they get too aggressive.

3 more incidents over the weekend:

Three suspects are facing charges after an early-morning robbery at the Belmont Red Line station today.

A witness said that one of the three men pulled out what appeared to be a gun, took her friend’s wallet, and then fled upstairs to the platform around 1:40 this morning.

Cops arrived quickly and found the offenders sitting on board a northbound train that was preparing to leave.

No weapon was found.

A group of teenage offenders jumped a man and then robbed him at gunpoint of his Chrome notebook bag yesterday afternoon outside of the Damen Brown Line station, 4643 North Damen.

The victim told police that the teens split up after they jumped him and stole his property around 4:45 p.m.

Police said the robbers were four black males and two Hispanic males, all between 17- and 19-years-old.

The attackers broke up into two groups after the robbery, with some running north on Winchester from Wilson and others running south on Ravenswood from Wilson

Four juvenile boys are facing robbery charges after they tried to hold up a man at the Paulina CTA station around 10 p.m. on March 25.

The victim told police that one of the boys claimed to have a gun while the others hit the victim and struggled to take his phone.

CTA dispatch held all Brown Line trains, which allowed Chicago police to catch up with the suspects at the station, located at 3410 North Lincoln.

3 more incidents over the weekend:

Three suspects are facing charges after an early-morning robbery at the Belmont Red Line station today.

A witness said that one of the three men pulled out what appeared to be a gun, took her friend’s wallet, and then fled upstairs to the platform around 1:40 this morning.

Cops arrived quickly and found the offenders sitting on board a northbound train that was preparing to leave.

No weapon was found.

---

A group of teenage offenders jumped a man and then robbed him at gunpoint of his Chrome notebook bag yesterday afternoon outside of the Damen Brown Line station, 4643 North Damen.

The victim told police that the teens split up after they jumped him and stole his property around 4:45 p.m.

Police said the robbers were four black males and two Hispanic males, all between 17- and 19-years-old.

The attackers broke up into two groups after the robbery, with some running north on Winchester from Wilson and others running south on Ravenswood from Wilson

---

Four juvenile boys are facing robbery charges after they tried to hold up a man at the Paulina CTA station around 10 p.m. on March 25.

The victim told police that one of the boys claimed to have a gun while the others hit the victim and struggled to take his phone.

CTA dispatch held all Brown Line trains, which allowed Chicago police to catch up with the suspects at the station, located at 3410 North Lincoln.

---

- A Lakeview man fought off a robbery attempt while he walked his dog in the 1700 block of West Henderson around midnight last Sunday. The victim told police that three offenders jumped out of a dark 4-door vehicle and demanded money. He resisted and the men returned to their car and fled northbound on Ravenswood.

- Later that morning, a man reported that three offenders held him down and went through his pockets during a robbery near the 2400 block of North Lincoln in Lincoln Park. The robbers took the man's phone and wallet before running away.

-----

Whoot-whoot!

That's my old 'hood! Keepin' it crimey!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/9b71953d-2e9c-3427-9524-7799bf7a1546/ss_man-charged-with-fatal.html

A West Side man has been charged with fatally shooting a 33-year-old man early Monday near a CTA Red Line station on the South Side.

Fredrick Stewart, 33, faces a felony count of first-degree murder, Chicago Police announced Tuesday.

Stewart is accused of killing Javontay Tolliver during an argument at 2:39 a.m. Monday in the 200 block of West Garfield Boulevard near the Garfield Station on the Red Line, authorities said.

Police initially said the shooting happened on the platform at the station, but later said the two men were told to leave the station by a CTA employee prior to the shooting. Both men had walked west on Garfield when police say Stewart pulled out a gun and fired multiple times.

Tolliver, of the Chicago Lawn neighborhood, was shot in the head, back and chest, police said. He was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he died at 3:53 a.m., the Cook County medical examiner’s office said.

Stewart, of the Lawndale neighborhood, was expected to appear in court Tuesday. Bail information was not immediately available from the Cook County sheriff’s office.

Maybe he was FOID transporting while in the station. He does not look remorseful at all in his mug shot. Looking like another long summer...

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) – A family has filed a lawsuit against MetroLink after a man died of severe head injuries at the Central West End stop in 2016.

Jordan Taynor, 33, was found with the severe injuries in March 2016 after police were called to the platform for a fight. When police arrived, Taynor told them he wasn’t in a fight and he had seizures. Police said Taynor appeared to be drunk and had a strong smell of alcohol.

Taynor later died at the hospital. An autopsy revealed he died due to head trauma and his death was ruled a homicide.

The lawsuit, which was filed Wednesday, claims Metro is unsafe because it has too few security guards and lacks turnstiles and ticket takers, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Copyright 2017 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved

http://www.kmov.com/story/35196063/family-files-lawsuit-against-metrolink-claiming-it-is-unsafe

People were robbed on CTA trains while Downtown twice last week, police said.

During the robberies, a robber or robbers punched a victim's face and grabbed the victim's phone or purse and ran away as the train doors opened, police said.

The robberies occurred:

• 6 p.m. Friday in the 1200 block of South State Street

• 3:18 a.m. Sunday in the 300 block of South State Street

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20170425/downtown/cta-robbers-punch-rob-victims-run-off-trains-escape-police-say

Acc Covered this today. From Oakland Ca.

"BART takeover robbery: 40 to 60 teens swarm train, hold up riders."

http://m.sfgate.com/crime/article/BART-takeover-robbery-50-to-60-teens-swarm-11094745.php

Fake security cameras prevalent on the transportation system.

"BART killing exposes security gap — many train cameras are decoys"

http://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/BART-killing-exposes-security-gap-many-train-6757514.php?cmpid=premartcl

How long till social media starts spreading these assault ideas to choir boys all across the nation?

Its always amazing to me that the areas where politicians ban guns are actually the least secure places - I'm not talking about the incidence of crime, I'm talking about size of the police force, number of security guards, cameras, lighting, secure entrances and everything.

Its almost like the anti-gun politicians actually go out of their way to make things less secure. The Illinois politicians backroom deal with the CTA union to get rid of actual trained security guards and replace them with untrained union desk clerks is an example. Hanging fake cameras is another example...

http://www.ilga.gov/images/members/%7BBC3E8441-2777-4941-BDC5-BFFE33EB7F21%7D.jpg

I'm sure she rests comfortably in her bed at night, secure in the knowledge she stopped so many "big shootouts" when she was in Springfield - before running home to take her daddy's council seat.

Wonder if it's in his will that she gets the guns he was able to register during the unannounced "grace period" when he "forgot" in 2007?

http://i47.tinypic.com/34pc0b5.jpg

What's sad is this type of crime was front page news the same day she made her plea in Springfield.

http://i47.tinypic.com/jpkls8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

just saw a video of 3 guys and a girl doing a strong arm robbery with a broken nose to a guy on the red line. LOTS of blood all over. wallet and iphone taken. about 8-12 other passengers in the same car. whole thing took a good 5-7 minutes. they walked off the train at a stop . nobody did anything to help and victim lost property and has punched repeatedly and had broken nose a busted lip and loose tooth.

http://www.kmov.com/story/35451082/bullet-holes-found-in-the-side-of-metrolink-train

ST. CLAIR COUNTY, Ill. (KMOV.com) -

What were thought to be random rocks hitting a MetroLink train actually turned out to be bullets, police said.

St. Clair County Sheriff's Office said deputies spoke with a MetroLink operator at the Fairview Heights stop in the 9200 block of St. Clair Avenue. The deputies were dispatched just before 10:45 p.m. on Tuesday night.

The sheriff's office said they found eight bullet holes on the right side of the train, with damage to the windows and siding of the car.

No passengers were injured, the operator told police. He himself was also not injured, he said.

While no one could identify where the shots came from, passengers said they heard between 6-to-10 loud pop-sounds. They said they heard this just east of the Washington Park station.

In a statement, MetroLink said they are assisting the St. Clair County Sheriff’s Department to help them locate those responsible.

The Metro Public Safety Department is assisting the St. Clair County Sheriff’s Department to help them locate those responsible so they can be prosecuted. Unfortunately, Metro is not immune to the crime occurring in the communities we operate in. Targeting trains and other vehicles can have serious consequences, potentially injuring innocent people. We are thankful no MetroLink passengers were injured in this incident.

The investigation into the shooting is ongoing. Evidence from the train is being processed by the Illinois State Police Crime Scene Unit, while surveillance footage is being reviewed by the Metro Department of Public Safety.

• 4 weeks later...

Man Who Opened Fire At Clark/Division Red Line Station Arrested: Police

CHICAGO — A man fired shots early Saturday morning in the Clark and Division Red Line station before fleeing into the subway tunnels and being arrested at the next stop, police said.

The incident began at 2:58 a.m. in the 1100 block of North Clark Street when the suspect got into an argument with another man walking down the station steps to the platform, police said.

The suspect pulled a gun and shot at the other man, but did not injure him.

The gunman ran into the tunnel and was arrested at the North/Clybourn Red Line station.

Charges are pending and a weapon was recovered, police said.

CHICAGO — A man fired shots early Saturday morning in the Clark and Division Red Line station before fleeing into the subway tunnels and being arrested at the next stop, police said.

The incident began at 2:58 a.m. in the 1100 block of North Clark Street when the suspect got into an argument with another man walking down the station steps to the platform, police said.

The gunman ran into the tunnel and was arrested at the North/Clybourn Red Line station.

And the offender, a six time felon, will plea down to a misdemeanor charge and be released Monday morning.

And the offender, a six time felon, will plea down to a misdemeanor charge and be released Monday morning.

...because Kim Foxx's new guidelines require 10 felony convictions before she'll prosecute.

Archived