FCCL Board files Emergency rules

We learned this afternoon that the FCCL review board filed emergency rules to deal with objects and refferals to the board the the process.

We do not know what they say at this time. But we are tying to get a copy of them to look over and figure out how to handel them and if objections need to be filed with JCAR.

WE are also hearing that this is a scramble to try and head off much of the litigation over bad denials from the Board.

I can tell you one thing, we are going to make their Senate Confirmation a nighmare if they keep this up.

more as we get it.

JCAR minutes May 20th. Todd what is this about?

REVIEW OF AGENCY RULEMAKINGS

Illinois State Police Firearm Concealed Carry Act Procedures (20 Ill. Adm. Code 1231; 38 Ill. Reg. 9703)

Co-Chair Schmitz asked if a representative from the Illinois State Police was present.

Suzanne Bond, ISP Chief Legal Counsel, and Matthew Davis, ISP Lieutenant Colonel (Division of Administration), were present.

Co-Chair Schmitz: It is the desire of the Committee that the Department make several necessary technical modifications to these emergency rules.

Ms. Bond: We understand and will comply.

Representative Leitch, seconded by Senator Rezin, moved that JCAR object to the Department of State Police's use of emergency rulemaking to adopt this rule because it did so 4 months after the underlying Public Act was effective. Since 4 months provided sufficient time for adoption of a proposed rule, any situation requiring use of emergency rulemaking appears to be Department- created. He also moved that JCAR object to Sections 1231.20(a)(1) and (2) and 1231.30(a) of this emergency rule because they contain deficiencies and technical errors resulting in rule text that does not clearly convey the Department's policy.

The motion passed unanimously.

http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/Minutes/20140520_May%2020,%202014.pdf

Illinois State Police Firearm Concealed Carry Act Procedures (20 Ill. Adm. Code 1231; 38 Ill. Reg. 9703)

Co-Chair Schmitz asked if a representative from the Illinois State Police was present.

Suzanne Bond, ISP Chief Legal Counsel, and Matthew Davis, ISP Lieutenant Colonel (Division of Administration), were present.

Co-Chair Schmitz: It is the desire of the Committee that the Department make several necessary technical modifications to these emergency rules.

Representative Leitch, seconded by Senator Rezin, moved that JCAR object to the Department of State Police's use of emergency rulemaking to adopt this rule because it did so 4 months after the underlying Public Act was effective. Since 4 months provided sufficient time for adoption of a proposed rule, any situation requiring use of emergency rulemaking appears to be Department- created. He also moved that JCAR object to Sections 1231.20(a)(1) and (2) and 1231.30(a) of this emergency rule because they contain deficiencies and technical errors resulting in rule text that does not clearly convey the Department's policy.

If I read that right it means JCAR isn't going to let them utilize the emergency (faster/shorter) method of rulemaking as they are doing so 4 months after the Act became effective.

Seems even politicians can smell cow droppings even when dressed in ISP colors.

JCAR minutes May 20th. Todd what is this about?REVIEW OF AGENCY RULEMAKINGSIllinois State Police Firearm Concealed Carry Act Procedures (20 Ill. Adm. Code 1231; 38 Ill. Reg. 9703)Co-Chair Schmitz asked if a representative from the Illinois State Police was present.Suzanne Bond, ISP Chief Legal Counsel, and Matthew Davis, ISP Lieutenant Colonel (Division of Administration), were present.Co-Chair Schmitz: It is the desire of the Committee that the Department make several necessary technical modifications to these emergency rules.Ms. Bond: We understand and will comply.Representative Leitch, seconded by Senator Rezin, moved that JCAR object to the Department of State Police's use of emergency rulemaking to adopt this rule because it did so 4 months after the underlying Public Act was effective. Since 4 months provided sufficient time for adoption of a proposed rule, any situation requiring use of emergency rulemaking appears to be Department- created. He also moved that JCAR object to Sections 1231.20(a)(1) and (2) and 1231.30(a) of this emergency rule because they contain deficiencies and technical errors resulting in rule text that does not clearly convey the Department's policy.The motion passed unanimously.http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/Minutes/20140520_May%2020,%202014.pdf

If I read that right it means JCAR isn't going to let them utilize the emergency (faster/shorter) method of rulemaking as they are doing so 4 months after the Act became effective.Seems even politicians can smell cow droppings even when dressed in ISP colors.

That is what I thought but Rep Leitch said, "adopt this rule" and I didn't see the rule he was referencing. Maybe it was ANY emergency rule.

That is what I thought but Rep Leitch said, "adopt this rule" and I didn't see the rule he was referencing. Maybe it was ANY emergency rule.

I read it to be any emergency rule. They're saying there is time to go through the normal rulemaking process. They're tired of dealing with uproar over "emergency" rules that they have had no input into.

This makes me believe that they've had a chance to digest the suits against them and aren't so confident with their odds in court.

I don't see how anyone with a lick of sense thought their process would withstand scrutiny. And if the reports coming forth on obvious mistaken identity denials, where the board's own records indicate that they know it's mistaken identity yet they deny anyway, how any members of the board thought their actions would withstand scrutiny.

However, reversing some or many of the denials is not a satisfactory result. Nor, is any set of rules that does not require notice of all objections, stating the objector and an opportunity to see that objection. Further, an opportunity to answer and present evidence as well as an opportunity to confront witnesses and objections. That, among other changes. None of that can happen under the current statute. The clauses that setup the board, describe how objections are handled will not mesh with those changes. And, administrative review is not an adequate review of the current star chamber "hearings". The statute needs to be defeated in Federal Court and then a stay for the legislature to fix it (short and de-novo hearings under new rules and some punishment, like they all get canned and new ones appointed.

I believe this is referring to the emergency rules filed on April 16, 2014.

I'm sure they are now starting to see their screw ups!! I got the reason for my denial and it was because someone with my first and last name (not my middle name, or address) has some orders of protection filed against them. The documents are plain as day and they out and out missed it (or chose not to look at them). What a mess they created. My lawyer said that they are offering deals to the AAG so they can safe face. Unbelievable! I think most of these denial will prevail and Dart and the board will come away from this looking bad.

It's like going into Berlin at the end of WWII, they've already lost but they still insist on fighting street by street and to the last person. This stuff is just time wasting. What is so hard about them telling people why they've been denied and giving them a proper appeals process?

So a dictatorship that answers to no-one is being called out. Go figure. If inquiring minds remember, I alerted you to this problem months before the first license was issued.

And I remember so many people saying things like "no one as been denied yet, give the process a chance"....and later "lets see what the review board does, I bet they scold lawn Dart....give the process a chance to play out".

No wonder the same politicians keep getting re-elected. Way too many gullible over-trusting foolish voters.

Rules will not solve this train wreck. The statute created this star chamber proceeding. The statute needs to be amended or we will just be back in the shadows letting Dart file objections all over again. The Board needs to meet in four or five different locations around the state during a 60 day period so applicants and witnesses are not inconvenienced unnecessarily. All of my previous comments are valid. The judicial review process should be similar to the FOID process...."has substantial justice been done" and a de-novo hearing. This is a fundamental right. Would anyone tolerate a denial of First Amendment rights from a system like this?

And I remember so many people saying things like "no one as been denied yet, give the process a chance"....and later "lets see what the review board does, I bet they scold lawn Dart....give the process a chance to play out".

No wonder the same politicians keep getting re-elected. Way too many gullible over-trusting foolish voters.

Just to keep things in perspective, if my math is correct, the board denials make up less than 1% of applications submitted. They have largely overruled Dart's objections. However, when they get it wrong, they go big! They have the authority to involve the applicant and have chosen not to do so. They can ask for further information from any of the law enforcement agencies or the applicant in order to clarify details about the applicant but they have chosen not to do so. That will change with the lawsuits, legislation, and their rules and regs.

We will hammer, hound, and pursue until this is right.

That 1% could just as easily be 5% or 10% under the current statute. There is nothing stopping them now except the possible bad publicity they are going to get and even now are beginning to get. That is not an adequate protection for a fundamental right. Do not accept a short term fix that leaves the statute unchanged.

1% is an insignificant portion, until you are the 1%. Then it is a 100%, for you, nightmare. Hopefully, the Federal Court Civil Rights action will result in a real fix in time. My suggestion would be to work within the framework that negotiates an end to that suit and anmendment to the Act. That is the only "deal" that in the long term furthers everybody's rights.

Legally, IANAL, but IMO they do not even have the power to "rehear" an application without an order from the Court overturning their decision. Typical for Illinois.

I love that statement " We will hammer, hound, and pursue until this is right".

I don't post often mainly because I work for a local unit of government and interact with people daily and no I'm not in law enforcement. I check this site every day. I just thought it was time to tell Molly B. how much I appreciate all the work she does for all of us here.

So Molly, thank you and I think you are awesome :clap:

Todd, same goes for you. The work you have done on behalf of us here is appreciated and I thank you. Again awesome :clap:

I am sure there are others from this site that have worked for all of us as well. I thank you !

There needs to be cost recovery for appeals, they are civil rights actions after all.

Paying for appeals would give them strong motivation to get it right in the first place, but also offer an informal hearing where many issues could be cleared up rapidly.

The amount of time that is involved in FOID and CCL appeals & restoration is unreasonable.

Archived