I thought guns are banned from Forest Preserves?

narcoden

Only forest preserves where carry is banned is in crook.

I don't think that is correct I think several other counties have posted forest preserves. Cook County is the only one posted in the state law. But I think there are threads here about Winnebago and a couple of other northern counties.

Ok. I thought most of the threads were about parks, campus, bike trails.

Are forest preserve buildings under the control of "a unit of local government"? would that essentially make all of them GFZs ? [the buildings, not the property itself]

Yes. They are a separate taxing body and are autonomous from other units of government (except Cook I think). In Will their board of commissioners is made up of the elected county board members but they are organized differently and vote amongst themselves for the leadership positions. I believe other counties do it the same (again, except Cook).

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

Yes, I just got back from a LCFP, the pavilions were posted. Very inadequately I might add, only one sign on one entranceway of a building open on 3 sides.

I love it. The fact that an open structure that would never be considered a "building" even over the much more lax County Construction Code is posted shows the idiocy with which the law is interpreted.

Other than in Cook County, no Forest Preserve in the state is a prohibited area. Forest Preserve Districts (again outside Cook County) are units of local government, and therefore MAY post buildings or portions of buildings. They cannot post parking areas or other real property to prevent you from carrying anywhere else on their property. Private property owners can post anything they want to, but governments are limited to posting only the 23 prohibited areas. It is kind of sad to see people here posting more restrictive positions on what is prohibited than what is required by the law.

This brings up another related question I have is:

I thought guns are banned from Illinois State parks. Yes or No ?

http://handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

Carry In State Parks//WMA/Road Side Rest Areas & St. /Nat. Forests
Carry Allowed in these Areas:
State Parks: YES (Not in Posted Buildings or Playgrounds)
State/National Forests: YES (Not in Posted Buildings or Playgrounds)
State WMA’s: YES (Not In Posted Buildings)
State Refuge & IDNR Dedicated Nature Preserves: NO
Road Side Rest Areas: NO
Note: See the IDNR FAQs for more information on the above.

The ONLY time in my 75+ years living in Crook county I ever saw a F P cop was at the Midlothian reservoir.

I asked him something about the fish and fishing.

"My PHD is in plants sir, I haven't a clue about what what you are talking about".

Yet he was sitting there for hours watching the fishermen and what they brought to their cars.

On several local fishing sites there have been MANY reports of PACKS of coyotes following fishermen.

In one case there was a pack of about 20 across the river from the fisherman.

Wouldn't you feel just a little bit better if you could carry in the county with the most area of the river in their boundaries.

Next think about all of the cougar sightings from the Wisconsin border to Indiana.

Think about what coounty they will spend the most time in?

Carry in the rest stop or risk being a victim? Tried by 12 or carried by 6? I will not advocate breaking the law, but that's choice each of us has to make on his/her own, every time.

How long does one usually spend in a rest stop? Last time I used one, which was about five years ago, I was in there long enough to take a pee and then I was out of there.

Archived