FOID Question

Working with my wife to get her a FOID for her safety, in case she ever happens to be riding alone with my pistol or ammo. (Married to an anti...but working on it!)

Under "List Any Previous Names" section, are we supposed to put her maiden name? Never had this issue as a guy.

Thanks.

Edited by top_notch

Maiden name, earlier marriage names, etc.

Good for you, getting the wife to get a FOID, can be a challenge. Mine is 65% anti.

Okay, I'll list her maiden name. Thanks for the quick reply, I'm trying to get this done tonight. It's something I never thought of until I went through my CCW class and it was mentioned to have a backup FOID household member.

She is worried about losing her teaching license. I said this will only serve to protect her. (And if something happens to me...my wife is going to become the owner of some nice firearms!)

Good job top_notch ! ! !

The FOID is a start. I agree with POAT54..

Maybe down the road a ways an 8 hr. pistol safety class will be in the works assuming it wasn't already..

That would be half of the required 16 hrs. ccw training. The 2nd 8 hrs. might be a little rough to get her to go through .

Remember "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step".

Keep up the good work top_notch ! ! !

Good job and good idea to always have a back up FOID in the house. As I understand it, the "previous names" allows the ISP to do the background check for that last name too. So yes, include your wife's maiden name.

Slow and easy wins the day when working with a spouse or close friend that tends towards Anti-ism. If you can ever get her to a range with a .22 and a 100 rounds of ammo, many times that will turn the tide. Sell it as a safety lesson.

AB

I did the exact same thing about two months ago (by the way, it only took about 3 weeks for her FOID to come in the mail). I filled out the app for her, and did include her maiden name in the "other prior names" field. One last thing: my wife is a special ed teacher. No risk of losing her license whatsoever.

Now the tough part is trying to get her to carry the darn card :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maiden name, earlier marriage names, etc.

Good for you, getting the wife to get a FOID, can be a challenge. Mine is 65% anti.

Okay, I'll list her maiden name. Thanks for the quick reply, I'm trying to get this done tonight. It's something I never thought of until I went through my CCW class and it was mentioned to have a backup FOID household member.

She is worried about losing her teaching license. I said this will only serve to protect her. (And if something happens to me...my wife is going to become the owner of some nice firearms!)

My wife is a teacher. She is a principal. She received her FOID yesterday. Being credentialed in both are not related. zoz

I had my wife get her CCL so that if we are out and I am carrying and something happens to me she can remove my gun from its holster and put it in her purse to take home rather then have a LEO take it and then have to worry about getting it back. Then again she likes guns and shooting and did not object to getting it. Heck now that her CCL arrived she's been asking me (actually telling me) she wants a holster or carry purse. She's also talked about the holster bra (concealing a gun in the bra holster would not be a problem for her :) ).