Class registration slowing down?

Terry 9595

We (the college) have a 6 person minimum to run classes so that we can pay the range fees, etc.

So far this year, we've cancelled 75% of the classes due to low enrollment. Granted, our pricing wasn't competitive at first, but we made the decision to drop the prices in March so were hoping to see more folks. The other issue is that we have been offering 3-4 classes per month (between 3 locations). We were seeing 3 folks sign up in one location, 4 in another, etc. so none of the classes were meeting enrollment. Got the word this morning that only 1 class per month will be offered now, so we should see some benefits where enrollment is concerned.

But...but...I thought some people were going to make an extra $30,000 to $60,000 teaching CCW classes on the weekends.

What happened?

Everyone should have known the fast cash would be limited to the first 6-12 month rush, and not extend into the 2nd year... Anyone that thought the extra money flow was going to last longer was a fool... This is why there was so much whining when instructors like out of state were not approved at the same time as others, they knew the boat would sail without them...

But...but...I thought some people were going to make an extra $30,000 to $60,000 teaching CCW classes on the weekends.

What happened?

lol. I'm a small guy, never planned on making any money at it. Did about 100 people - a lot of friends and family and then friends of friends, referrals, etc. Met a lot of nice like-minded people and helped folks get their permit. Good news is I paid for all of my gear, made a little (little) profit and came out of it in the black. I'll probably offer a class a month until I can't fill them any longer.

There's a post here somewhere from me from back in the fall where I did all of the math and convinced myself there was no way to make any money at it - pretty true if you did it right - NRA student material, training tools, copies, insurance, etc. IMHO the only way to really make money at it is to have a cadre of instructors and a big classroom and marketing to fill the slots. Look at the guys like Gat Guns - they were (and maybe still are?) filling 50+ seat classrooms. They were at one point charging $300 per student. So... $15,000 per class? Sounds like a lot until you consider the cost of the classroom, building, etc. Gat recently made what must have been a several million dollar investment in their property - of course they'll depreciate that cost over years. Most of the instructors at there aren't at that level.

There will likely be another rush when paper applications are accepted.

why? More than half the instructors are running classes of 4-8 and those instructors will help do applications. We bring 3 laptops to class and can do up to 9 applications for the elderly in the first hour after class. We tell everyone that when they call in.

why? More than half the instructors are running classes of 4-8 and those instructors will help do applications. We bring 3 laptops to class and can do up to 9 applications for the elderly in the first hour after class. We tell everyone that when they call in.

you might be surprised - #1 and #2 son's offered to help folks do their on-line applications for $10 got a few takes but quite a lot of folks didn't even have e-mail address for us to send electronic copies of certificates.

be interesting time once the hard copies are availible

I doubt the Amish would apply digitally

I doubt the Amish would apply digitally

nor would they carry

Is the paper app going to be much more than printed screen shots of the online ap that some state flunkey keys into the online app?

It could be the weather (getting nice, almost summer). I took my class is December. If I had to do it now, I could not find the time. (honey-do, projects on the house, normal summer time home upkeep, family events (graduations!), etc.)

That's why I like the winter months.. Except for having to shovel once in a while, there is not much to do.

I agree. I think the cost of doing the entire process is a joke compared to other states. Granted, I expect nothing less from this horrid state.

I also agree with Elmber Fudd and was thinking the same thing last week when I looked into a tactical pistol class for myself. I also hope, that those who choose to own a firearm continue to train and sharpen their knowledge and skills.

I wonder what the FOID fiasco cost me...I had run 24 students through in September before I got put in the penalty box......not that I am viewing this as a damage claim situation but it does put things in some perspective 7 months later.

Were the 24 students that you trained required to get retraining due to you becoming a revoked instructor?

I wonder what the FOID fiasco cost me...I had run 24 students through in September before I got put in the penalty box......not that I am viewing this as a damage claim situation but it does put things in some perspective 7 months later.

Were the 24 students that you trained required to get retraining due to you becoming a revoked instructor?

No they were NOT.

No they were NOT.

Good this proves that an instructor being revoked for an issue not involving training will not affect the students.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived