(Un)Official Sign at JoAnn's Fabrics?

TyGuy

I kind of wish there wasn't all this talk of an official sign, but I get it I guess. I say we get change the law to read a 1 foot diameter red circle with red slash through a black silhouette of a handgun. No words, and so big nobody could possibly miss it! And business owners would think twice about putting up a 1 foot diameter sign on their doors. They'd have to be VERY serious about protecting their customers lives!

I'm getting to where I hate all of the red slash "no" signs. It always takes that split second of anxiety to identify what the black thing inside is. And more than that if it's a whole string of them.

This.

I saw a "this vehicle does not turn right on red" with red circle slash over a right turn arrow type sticker on a truck and got pissy while driving. Then I saw it was a benign sign.

But it is unquestioningly NOT an official sign.

Personally I beg to differ or at least would error VERY heavily on the side of caution at this point based on the ISP's proposed rules and the already adapted jcar rules... Remember the sign design is NOT mandated in the law itself, it's up to the ISP rules to define the sign design...

The adapted jcar rules allow for signage to be bigger then the 4x6 size if the venue wants, even though this is contrary to the law...

http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/020/020012310C01500R.html

And the 'new' ISP proposed rules define the sign more generically, notice the proposed rules do not mandate their template be used, instead they have made a more generic definition of simply a black handgun in a red slashed circle.. Note even the mandated inclusion of the 'Pursuant to' text in the new rules is kind of wishy washing, there is also no mention of the black border...

https://ccl4illinois.com/ccw/Public/Signage.aspx

The Illinois State Police has proposed rules which require a white background; no text (except the reference to the Illinois Code 430 ILCS 66/1) or marking within the one-inch area surrounding the graphic design; a depiction of a handgun in black ink with a circle around and diagonal slash across the firearm in red ink; and that the circle be 4 inches in diameter. The sign in its entirety will measure 4 inches x 6 inches.

Based on the above the 'graphic area' would be the slashed circle/gun only, thus any text 1" away from the circle is acceptable or at least it might be, take away the 4x6 size mandate that is already in the jcar rules and consider even the ISPs own template is not compliant with the new proposed rules I would error highly on the side of caution at this time...

The one link you provided states: Pursuant to Section 65(d) of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act, signs must be of a uniform design and the Illinois State Police is responsible for adopting rules for standardized signs.

Yes, a uniform design specified and adapted by the ISP and that right now based on their new proposed rules would appear to simply be a generic "depiction of a handgun in black ink with a circle around and diagonal slash across the firearm in red ink"

Doesn't matter - I wouldn't carry there anyway, but we need to get nailed down. Will there be ONE official template or is anything gonna go?

Right now I would not gamble on the ISP sample template as being the one and only design they adopt, it appears to me the new rules the ISP is proposing is an attempt to broaden that scope of the sign to any red slashed circle and black gun depiction...

As I said I would error heavily on the side of caution, the argument that that law says the sign must be this or that to be compliant is IMO flawed, the law allows for the design to change at will, the law does specify the size but it appears jcar doesn't care what the law says and permits larger signs...

I'm getting to where I hate all of the red slash "no" signs. It always takes that split second of anxiety to identify what the black thing inside is. And more than that if it's a whole string of them.

This.

I saw a "this vehicle does not turn right on red" with red circle slash over a right turn arrow type sticker on a truck and got pissy while driving. Then I saw it was a benign sign.

LOL in Springfield this week, all the "no left turn" and "no right turn" signs caught my attention for the same reason!!

This.

"

Funny you mentioned this...That sign is from a bus company "First Student" it's their company policy that all of their drivers cannot turn right on red/ a red light with their big buses, mini buses, suburbans and mini white and gray vans. This is for safety reasons to prevent accidents for the bus driver and the students on board. Statistics shows that lots of accidents happen turning right on red/ red lights. This is why the company chose not to turn on red to prevent accidents for the company. Not all bus companies do this. This is only "First Students" company policy. Think Safe and Be Safe!

As long as it meets the dimensional and content requirements it doesn't matter if it's a Beretta 92, a Chief's Special or a Hi-Point as pictured.

I got upset with Joann when I asked why they don't sell wool and was told (by the never-left-the-city clerk) it was because wool harvesting wasn't animal friendly.

Their logic concerning the source of raw materials must be right up there with their awareness of who that sign actually keeps out of their stores.

Nor would I ever enter a fabric store, but that's another matter.

Jo-Ann used to be a dedicated fabric store, but many of them now are full fledged craft/hobby stores like Hobby Lobby or Michaels...

In my younger days (and even now), I can say if you are a guy that can sew (I can and I'm not ashamed I can) the ladies at these stores both employee and customer most of the time will all the sudden start flirting like wolves on a hunt... At least that has been my experience back in the day when they were dedicated fabric stores and hired people interested in sewing, not as much now that many are crafty stores with more generic employees...

As long as it meets the dimensional and content requirements it doesn't matter if it's a Beretta 92, a Chief's Special or a Hi-Point as pictured.

I got upset with Joann when I asked why they don't sell wool and was told (by the never-left-the-city clerk) it was because wool harvesting wasn't animal friendly.

Their logic concerning the source of raw materials must be right up there with their awareness of who that sign actually keeps out of their stores.

Mutton is not animal-friendly, but shearing harms nothing. I suppose their employees don't get haircuts. Same thing.

Do you think Berettas are too dangerous looking for children and their nannies to see?

I would advise against carrying there. But it is unquestioningly NOT an official sign.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What is wrong with it? I can't tell the size, but all the visual elements are there...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Jo-Ann Fabrics is extremely anti-gun. It looks like they were tired of picking on Berettas, and decided to pick on Hi-Points instead. But they truly hate our 2nd amendment.

A while ago, I built a soft-sided rifle case with fabric & supplies from there. Not sure what I'll do if I need to make another one, since I'm not aware of any local competitors.

Nor would I ever enter a fabric store, but that's another matter.

Jo-Ann used to be a dedicated fabric store, but many of them now are full fledged craft/hobby stores like Hobby Lobby or Michaels...

In my younger days (and even now), I can say if you are a guy that can sew (I can and I'm not ashamed I can)

Ha Ha we were late to church yesterday because my oldest daughter had a wardrobe malfunction on her sun dress. She got a dress that matched her twin sisters and got her size but didn't try it on, well my wife dressed the twins so Nat decided to wear hers at the last min and it hung way too low so I had to dig out the old singer and take in the straps, luckily it already had pink thread in it LOL

Archived