ISP Approved Format. Order with confidence. - FAIL!

cjurczak

http://www.compliancesigns.com/NHE-25408-Illinois.shtml

My employer posted signs purchased from the link above. Nobody I work with enjoys this kind of humor, but I know you guys will.

http://cdn.compliancesigns.com/media/NH/NHE-25408-Illinois_300.gif

IMPORTANT NOTE: Illinois State Police Approved Format. Order with confidence.
(Design copyright 2014, ComplianceSigns, Inc.)

This easy-to-read No Firearms Pursuant to 430 ILCS 66/65 sign makes your Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry Act security message clear. It's use is dictated by Public Act 98-63, the Firearm Concealed Carry Act, effective July 9, 2013.

I honestly think they changed the artwork so they could copyright the design. Not thinking that by changing the Beretta 92 to a 1911 they would effect the validity of the sign. Not that it matters to my situation, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. And don't worry I will not be bringing up this oversight to the supplier or my employers.

• NOTE: The Illinois State Police now allow additional text on this sign. Please contact us if you would like a larger sign with custom text.

The Illinois State Police has proposed rules which require a white background; no text (except the reference to the Illinois Code 430 ILCS 66/1) or marking within the one-inch area surrounding the graphic design; a depiction of a handgun in black ink with a circle around and diagonal slash across the firearm in red ink; and that the circle be 4 inches in diameter. The sign in its entirety will measure 4 inches x 6 inches.

This is the part that interests me. Where are they getting the "additional text" info? Certainly not the ISP website.

Not thinking that by changing the Beretta 92 to a 1911 they would effect the validity of the sign.

It might not based on...

The Illinois State Police has proposed rules which require a white background; no text (except the reference to the Illinois Code 430 ILCS 66/1) or marking within the one-inch area surrounding the graphic design; a depiction of a handgun in black ink with a circle around and diagonal slash across the firearm in red ink; and that the circle be 4 inches in diameter. The sign in its entirety will measure 4 inches x 6 inches.

Also note that the black outline is not defined or mentioned in their proposed rules...

What is interesting is that even their own template is not compliant with their own stated rules, if the circle is to be 4" and the black outline (or border) 4" x 6" then the circle and black outline would collide on top bottom, this isn't he case on their template... If one prints their template directly from the ISP site and measures the black outline as stated to 4" x 6" then the red circle/slash is not 4" as they mandate more like just over 3 3/4" so even it's not compliant with their own proposed rules...

Fairly certain that's the sign being used on the Union Pacific westline Metra stations.

That page also mentions that adding text to the sign is ok now (contact for custom text), did that change?

From site:

" NOTE: The Illinois State Police now allow additional text on this sign. Please contact us if you would like a larger sign with custom text."

Oh boy this argument again.

Listen, I think you are going to have a VERY VERY hard time explaining to the judge that the sign is non compliant because it is a 1911, and not a Baretta. Or that the circle is 1/8" larger or smaller than the law mandates.

Listen, I think you are going to have a VERY VERY hard time explaining to the judge that the sign is non compliant because it is a 1911, and not a Baretta. Or that the circle is 1/8" larger or smaller than the law mandates.

I don't think there is much of an argument really. To me it's more just the fact that the ISP produced a sign, and companies that specialize in signage can't get it right even when handed to them on a silver platter.

Baretta:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0f/Baretta_Title_Screen.jpg

Beretta:

http://www.beretta.com/assets/0/15/DimGallerySmall/m9_zoom001.jpg

To me it's more just the fact that the ISP produced a sign, and companies that specialize in signage can't get it right even when handed to them on a silver platter.

As I stated above you are aware the the ISP's own sign doesn't even follow their proposed rules? So that silver platter is IMO made out of rusty tin at best... IMO the one posted is actually just as compliant per the ISP rules when compared to the ISP's own template...

I agree and personally I believe you are going to have that same hard time explaining to a judge for any common no gun sign, even if it's not nearly compliant as your entire 'knowingly' defense is pretty much gone once you admit to seeing a no gun sign...

It's black letter law what the sign must look like.

Not exactly, the law only mandates the signs be 4" x 6' and that the ISP can make 'rules' in regard to design/standardization... Beyond that nothing in the law mandates what the sign should be or should not be or what it must or must not contain...

Apparently even the 4" x 6" size even though written in law is not being adhered to by the 'rules' currently being issued by the ISP... And one can only guess how many more times these 'rules' will be updated and changed...

Oh boy, to quote you.

It's black letter law what the sign must look like.

Tell me how that goes for you. I hope the judge agrees. Even if he does agree, it'll cost you thousands in legal fees and time away from work proving it.

Archived