Appealing CCL Review Board Denial

Molly B.

Thanks Molly B. I just spoke with someone and they said they are 8 months behind. Also the average for CCLRB is "8" 30 day letters before they make a decision.

That's good to know..... I was sure I had another 365 days of waiting and that still could be the case. Nice knowing the wait could be 120 more days ...so be it. Thanks for posting.

• 1 month later...
The Illinois Administrative Review Law (ARL) dictates administrative review in circuit court. When proceeding with this appeal,it may be wise to read Illinois statute 735 ILCS 5/3-101 through 3-113; to one's understanding, it implies that EACH Defendant should be named, this includes ISP, Board Chairman, each board memeber, City of law enforcement objection, Law enforcement agency of which the objection was submitted, Chief of Police of the law enforcement agency, and/or he/she nominated official from the law enforcement department who submits the objections. If this LE info is unknown, you may/may not wish to include "unknown law enforcement agency" as a defendant. In this instance it seems the statute implies is best to be more inclusive than to leave out a defendant(again, refer to the Administrative Review Law (ARL) in its entirety). ADDITIONALLY, most people seeking circuit court reviews do so because they have not been given any answers by the Board, i.e. "facts", explanation of findings upon denial (by a preponderance of the evidence), case law explaining their denial of the applicant, or even a complete administrative record of their findings; Therefore, according to the ARL, those who proceed with briefs to the circuit court, and prior to the final hearing may ask the court for a "finding of fact" in accordance with 735 ILCS 5/3-111 ©, which states "On motion of either party, the circuit court shall make findings of fact or state the propositions of law upon which its judgment is based". I'm just quoting statute. In no way is this legal advice that you should follow. Best of luck ya'll

• 1 month later...

Hello Molly,

I've been denied a carry license and with the help of this site was able to file a lawsuit towards their decision. This started back in Feb of 2014 and I'm still at it. I have an ecopy of the case if you would like to review. The board is denying me due to a domestic arrest back in 2004 between my girlfriend and I that was thrown out "Null" in court, as the state was trying to charge me. My girlfriend came to court and requested all charges to be dropped, which was granted by judge. I never got a chance to see what was said in the police report against me till this denial. The statements that were made in the report weren't accurate. She was the attacker towards me in my house and she wouldn't leave. (we didn't live together)

So, now the Chicago police is objecting to my carry license due to this Oak forest PD report. What I don't understand is that I gave a report of the situation to the Oak forest police when they arrested me explaining the situation. My statement is no where and they are presenting their case as that report is fact without trial to prove.

I meet all requirements for the carry license but the language in that law still gives them any reason that triggers a suspicion to deny. 430 ILCS 66/20(g)

I want to clear my name of what actually happened back in 2004 and I don't want that lie to be their determination as fact to my denial.

Do you have any suggestion?

Clarence

Hello Molly,

I've been denied a carry license and with the help of this site was able to file a lawsuit towards their decision. This started back in Feb of 2014 and I'm still at it. I have an ecopy of the case if you would like to review. The board is denying me due to a domestic arrest back in 2004 between my girlfriend and I that was thrown out "Null" in court, as the state was trying to charge me. My girlfriend came to court and requested all charges to be dropped, which was granted by judge. I never got a chance to see what was said in the police report against me till this denial. The statements that were made in the report weren't accurate. She was the attacker towards me in my house and she wouldn't leave. (we didn't live together)

So, now the Chicago police is objecting to my carry license due to this Oak forest PD report. What I don't understand is that I gave a report of the situation to the Oak forest police when they arrested me explaining the situation. My statement is no where and they are presenting their case as that report is fact without trial to prove.

I meet all requirements for the carry license but the language in that law still gives them any reason that triggers a suspicion to deny. 430 ILCS 66/20(g)

I want to clear my name of what actually happened back in 2004 and I don't want that lie to be their determination as fact to my denial.

Clarence

I am not an attorney but I know what I would do in my own personal circumstance. I would immediately start the expunging process and get that removed from my record.

Hello Molly,

Clarence

I am not an attorney but I know what I would do in my own personal circumstance. I would immediately start the expunging process and get that removed from my record.

I did that and was only able to get it SEALED...

Dear ClayMontJr,

Please refer to the following link to download a detailed PDF issued by the Office of the Illinois State Defender. It is extremely detailed and should answer any questions you have. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.illinois.gov/osad/Expungement/Documents/Crinminal%2520Exp%2520Guide/ExpungementSealingOverview.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjSj6uCteTMAhUm4IMKHbnQB6sQFggkMAM&usg=AFQjCNGc9e5cwoFeuVvrjWLPH2qU6mgPCA

• 6 months later...

Hello Molly I been under board review for a year now I have received 12 letter for 30 additional days I just received a letter saying that I was charged with aggravated assault but never got convicted of it the case got down I'm in a 15 day process how will I go about addressing the board ? PLEASE HELP ME

First:

You can request additional time if you need it.

Second:

Do you have court documents showing the case dismissed? If not, you can go to the circuit clerk in the county where this happened and ask for a copy.

Third:

Compose a statement in your own words about what happened, include any information about how you have kept a clean record, been and continue to be a good citizen, hard working, etc..

Fourth:

Make sure you have all your documents, statement, etc. together to submit all at one time because once you hit the submit button, the portal will close.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone I've been under CCL review board for 14 months now still haven't heard anything. Does anyone know what's the hold up??? how much longer???

You should be close to hearing something, we understand the review board has been reviewing objections that were filed back in Oct./Nov. 2015. Some cases have run longer but most are being resolved in 12-15 months.

Hey guys, long time no hear... So I applied for the CCL when it first came out and after fighting the denial process, submitted my mitigation to the Board online and was approved near the end of 2014. So I have a question, I was trying to help someone I know who got denied but for his, we logged into the website and first we couldn't find the reason why they denied him and second the only thing we see is a tab to "submit circuit court ruling" instead of any way to respond to the objection. So I guess I have two questions, 1) Did they change the way it can be done with the only way now being having to file the appeal in circuit court (because I never had to do that) or 2) did we miss the time to submit info to the board (but that seems odd because I am sure he would of noticed it changing and we still don't know why he was denied). Any help would be great guys. Thanks!

Hey guys, long time no hear... So I applied for the CCL when it first came out and after fighting the denial process, submitted my mitigation to the Board online and was approved near the end of 2014. So I have a question, I was trying to help someone I know who got denied but for his, we logged into the website and first we couldn't find the reason why they denied him and second the only thing we see is a tab to "submit circuit court ruling" instead of any way to respond to the objection. So I guess I have two questions, 1) Did they change the way it can be done with the only way now being having to file the appeal in circuit court (because I never had to do that) or 2) did we miss the time to submit info to the board (but that seems odd because I am sure he would of noticed it changing and we still don't know why he was denied). Any help would be great guys. Thanks!

Your friend should have received a letter stating who objected and why and informed him that he had 15 days to submit a response testifying on his own behalf to the CCL Review Board. About 30 days after that, the board issues a notice to issue license or to deny. If the notice is to deny, then he should receive a letter explaining the need to appeal in circuit court within 35 days of the notice in the county where he lives

• 2 weeks later...

First timer here, have been reading a lot of these topics and have a quick question, myself and 3 other friends all went through the classes together, 2 of my friends have already received their CCW'S while the one friend and myself was put under board review, My friend who went under board review with me pretty much at the same time frame received

what we are calling the 30 day letter over 2 weeks ago I have not received anything at all, my sister works in a court house and I have asked her to do a back ground check on me, after she did she told me the way they check is matching your full name and B-Day but nothing at all shows up, she says I should be good. Any thoughts ? sorry I forgot to add I have 2 more days , 12/16/16 will be 120 days

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum.

If you received a "30 day" letter from Illinois State Police( ISP), this means a Law Enforcement has issued an objection to you receiving a CCL. Currently the Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board (CCLRB) is about a year or so back logged in reviewing Law Enforcement objections. This also, means the 120 day clock STOPS and it will likely be about a year or so before you receive any information back from the CCLRB regarding the nature of your objection. Plenty of good reading to be found on this site while your wait. You're not alone, there are appox. 2483 others that are UBR (Under Board Review), including myself and I have 15 letters....

Thank you Cobra, my only concern is I never received anything, not even the 30 extension letter, I thought it went in order received and my friend was at least a week behind in his application. guess I would like to have the 30 day letter just to know I am on file ,where ever that may be .

It might make sense that applications would go in order, but I would not bet that is the case. Different applications probably go to different people, then you get the processors being out of the office for vacation, sick, holiday, or a problem with the person's app before yours in the queue, or LE in one place checks and objects daily while others do weekly or some other schedule. So, I'd say keep an eye on it, but you will need to be patient, although at 120 days it does seem you would have heard something.

Perhaps Molly will come along with a better sense of what is happening.

Thank you Cobra, my only concern is I never received anything, not even the 30 extension letter, I thought it went in order received and my friend was at least a week behind in his application. guess I would like to have the 30 day letter just to know I am on file ,where ever that may be .

The fact that your application status is "Under Board Review" verifies that your application was objected to, in which case you've got about a year-long wait ahead of you.

It's good that your background check came back clean, but depending on where you live, there doesn't have to have been any major legal issues in your past for the local LEOs to object.

Are you by any chance in Cook county?

Yes Sir, I do live in cook county, and I have a very very common last name, so I do see where your coming from, guess I will just sit back and enjoy the forums for the time being,

I actually like to read the different scenarios and learning quite a few things here , Thanks for everyone's input, If I hear anything or have any change, I will be sure to share with you guys.

Wow. crazy to see all the problems out there especially under review for so long of a time..... ill say its a messed up system and ya probably have a long long fight ahead.. i fought it in court since 2014.. took 17 court dates but i won it and pro se at that... just to have the ag file in appellate court. so been at that level since ohhhhhhh feburary. extension after extension and they still haven't filed a brief yet..... its a super long process so pack enough food and water for the duration.. but do not ever give up.... fight for your rights or they will slowly take them away.... best of luck to you all

So, I applied on 3/20/16 and am under board review. I understand it's going to take awhile but I've seen references in this thread to folks who've found out where the objection came from. How do I find this information? Sorry, I've been searching and reading this thread but not coming up with any specific info. Any pointers would be great.

Thank you!

So, I applied on 3/20/16 and am under board review. I understand it's going to take awhile but I've seen references in this thread to folks who've found out where the objection came from. How do I find this information? Sorry, I've been searching and reading this thread but not coming up with any specific info. Any pointers would be great.

Thank you!

If, when the review board gets to your application, they think there could be reason to deny they will send a letter to you with the reason for the objection and which law enforcement agency filed the objection. They will provide you an opportunity to respond to the objection with a statement/documents in your own behalf.

Most of the time, though, they just simply overrule the objection and instruct the ISP to issue the license.

Thank you!

If, when the review board gets to your application, they think there could be reason to deny they will send a letter to you with the reason for the objection and which law enforcement agency filed the objection. They will provide you an opportunity to respond to the objection with a statement/documents in your own behalf.

Most of the time, though, they just simply overrule the objection and instruct the ISP to issue the license.

Thank you for the quick response!

Hello Molly I been under board review for a year now I have received 12 letter for 30 additional days I just received a letter saying that I was charged with aggravated assault but never got convicted of it the case got down I'm in a 15 day process how will I go about addressing the board ? PLEASE HELP ME

First:

You can request additional time if you need it.

Second:

Do you have court documents showing the case dismissed? If not, you can go to the circuit clerk in the county where this happened and ask for a copy.

Third:

Compose a statement in your own words about what happened, include any information about how you have kept a clean record, been and continue to be a good citizen, hard working, etc..

Fourth:

Make sure you have all your documents, statement, etc. together to submit all at one time because once you hit the submit button, the portal will close.

Hello Molly B question for you what do it mean to go from under broad review to under review it has been a year since I applied I check my status yesterday and it said under review?

That is the greatest thing that could happen actually. It means the review board just over ruled your objection, Congratz buddy, it looks like you are nearing the light at the end of this tunnel!

Archived