Town Hall - Rep Nekritz and Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence

narcoden

Posted · Hidden by mauserme, April 17, 2014 at 11:19 AM - No reason given
Hidden by mauserme, April 17, 2014 at 11:19 AM - No reason given

Now that could have been some real fun if I had gotten there earlier, but since they lied and told me it was full when John called back, I picked up my kids and figured id take them to the library. Got to shoot down a MDA plant on school shootings, signs, and her fear and loathing of the new response drills....tied it in to predatory violence. Had a reasonably good discussion with her afterwords. She wants to attend my day 2 class.

You guys have to calm down in the meetings, just relax. Necritz had no idea how to answer any of those points. I was only there for a half hour and you can see that the only people offering the anti position were about as inarticulate as could be. That was a great showing for a small meeting. Whats next?

Rocco

Now that could have been some real fun if I had gotten there earlier, but since they lied and told me it was full when John called back, I picked up my kids and figured id take them to the library. Got to shoot down a MDA plant on school shootings, signs, and her fear and loathing of the new response drills....tied it in to predatory violence. Had a reasonably good discussion with her afterwords. She wants to attend my day 2 class.

You guys have to calm down in the meetings, just relax. Necritz had no idea how to answer any of those points. I was only there for a half hour and you can see that the only people offering the anti position were about as inarticulate as could be. That was a great showing for a small meeting. Whats next?

Rocco

Deerfield, 22nd. I will be there.

Rocco

Nice work sir!

I always cringe when one of us gets up to speak all angry. Yes I understand people get upset but these meetings are not the place to voice it.

Thank you rocco for making us look good.

Hopefully somebody got video?

You simply cannot make it "about the guns". That argument will be dismissed in their minds before you finish. Make them recognize the tie ins and concede a point, and then drive it to where you want to go.

We own pistols for defense, but make it clear that there is no romance in carrying a gun. They offer us no talismanic resistence to the malevolence in our world. They are the last line of our defense, and a last resort we pray never have to be used.

One more thing...

When two or three men gather around a woman trying to get their points in, she becomes instantly defensive and is not actually hearing anything, you guys were making some awesome pDroints...and I apologize if it looked like I kidnapped your audient when I slipped in....but she was not my audience.....

Mine was 7 feet behind you and to my 9:00, and SHE was stopped dead and hanging on every word. Nothing makes Rocco happier.

We own pistols for defense, but make it clear that there is no romance in carrying a gun. They offer us no talismanic resistence to the malevolence in our world. They are the last line of our defense, and a last resort we pray never have to be used.

My two cents, and maybe this is a case of seeing everything as a nail when you're holding a hammer, but as a shrink I do think that weapons occupy an important symbolic role for a lot of us. I'll absolutely cop to it. The reality is that being in good shape at 6'1" and 250 pounds, living where I do, looking like I do, the likelihood of my ever having to use a weapon for self defense is virtually nil. Given that almost anywhere I'm likely to be that might be the target of a mass shooting is posted, thats especially true. Heck, even my two jobs are both in black letter prohibited places. I could have spent the money I spent on the permit (and the prints and the training and safe for the car and the umpteen holsters until I found one I liked...) elsewhere. A strong, rational argument could be made that I should have spent that money elsewhere.

But I still carry everyday. I still avoid places I'm not allowed to carry. Part of it is self defense, but its more than that. Part of carrying for me is symbolic, it is talismanic. Part of carrying is because I feel that these rights are important and are likely to be lost if they aren't exercised. Part of carrying is because I know that my open involvement with the movement has softened other people I know. A gun on my belt doesn't ever have to be drawn to be used to advance those goals. It's power comes merely from it's presence. It doesn't even have to be physically there, as I'm sure every one of us has, at one point or another, talked someone around to our way of thinking. Just the idea of the symbol, the knowledge that here is this person who isn't a crazy gun nut, someone you respect and like, has power. Part of carrying, too, is an act of defiance. It has been forbidden for so long that I feel obligated to stick my thumb in the eyes of those who sought to oppress. Again, the power of the gun here is symbolic and has little to do with standing down a mugger. Finally, part of carrying for me is psychological. We do live in a world fraught with malevolence. I'm not delusional, I know that a gun on my hip isn't going to save me from all of it, but as someone with a history of having been victimized there is a sense of agency that comes with having something that ensures you have a choice. All of these thing intersect, and I'm sure some of them won't be true for all of us, but carrying is about a lot more than just returning fire at the next mall shooting or strong arm robbery.

Maybe thats not the argument to make to the antis now, maybe it won't ever be an argument fit for public consumption or ready to be the core of our advocacy, but I feel its important to be honest to ourselves. Blindness only serves one's opponents.

There has been a lot of press coverage and letters to the editor recently about Illinois becoming the last state to enact concealed-carry legislation. A common theme I hear and read is, "Why does anyone need to carry a loaded gun in public?"

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/images/pixel.gif
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/images/pixel.gif

The answer isn't too complicated really, it's just taking precautions against something you hope and pray never happens to you.

I always wear my seat belt and I carry auto insurance even if I hope I never need them. I equip my home with fire extinguishers, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and I carry homeowner's insurance all the while praying that I'll never need them.

When my permit is finally approved, I plan to carry a loaded firearm wherever I legally can, all the while hoping and praying that I'll never need it.

It's all about taking reasonable precautions.

DoktorP,

I agree with you, but trust me that will not play well into a public debate.

By the by, you can thank Kotowski for the fact that you have no availible means of "scaling force" they made sure that a hammer is all you can carry.

Lou,

There is a reazon I use the ugly, brutal, scary nature of Rapid Response/ immediate action training to tear into their emotional responses and draw a direct line between their acceptance of the most Agressive response tool in LE P.O. training for its necessity in these violent times, and the fact that in our role as Mothers and Fathers, Husbands and Wives.....as citizens we choose to afford ourselves the tools of last resort for when we find ourselves faced with the unthinkable. We do so because we choose to not live in denial. We choose the burden that comes with it.

We choose to carry.

Rocco

Archived