How to Appeal Revoked or Denied FOID

Hello,

made an account to give everybody maybe a little idea on how fast things are moving.

An order of protection against me was granted for an ex-girlfriend in 2020(the OP was unnecessary and a bit dicey but that’s another story). She dropped the order of protection against me in 2021. I had the OP on me for maybe 11 months all together before she dropped it and it was vacated. 

obviously in the process I turned in my FOID and CCL to a local police station as soon as it was filed and signed my firearms over to a trusted FOID owner. 

Not even 2 months ago I decided to start the appeal process. I got the court document stated she dropped the order and it was vacated. I wrote an appeal asking for my FOID and CCL to be reinstated. Included all the appropriate forms. 

I folded it all up and sent it by priority mail via usps on 5/23/22 and was provided tracking. The envelope got to springfield to the isp on 5/26/22. 

today I received an email stating my FOID has been reinstated, set to ACTIVE and a card will be sent out, but that my CCL is still under review. 

I was pleasantly surprised how quick that was. So I thought I’d share that. 

they got my appeal papers via mail on 5/26/22 and I got my FOID reinstated 6/8/22….. that’s TWO WEEKS! 

I was ready to wait months from what I was hearing from others. 

now my question, if Molly B. Could give me some insight. 

Is the FOID appeal and CCL appeal department separate? Is it normal for one to take longer to reinstate than the other? I thought it was odd they are willing to send out my FOID card then to most likely reinstate my CCL just to send out another card because the new cards show both CCL & FOiD on the same card now…. Also is it safe to say my CCL decision will be coming soon since the FOID decision was so quick? Sorry. Lots of questions. 

just wanted to give hope for everybody waiting or looking to appeal, good luck all! And sorry about the lengthy message.

Thanks! 

Edited by Blitz77

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in a similar situation as @Blitz77. My wife got an 2-year plenary Civil No Contact Order against me. It's totally bogus, like most of these things, and it's being used as leverage in a custody dispute. During this process my FOID card was revoked and I turned it in to local PD, but I had the foresight to transfer my guns to another FOID cardholder prior to the revocation, so I was able to check the "I don't own any guns" box. Fortunately, this order is scheduled to be dismissed in fall of 2022, so now I'm thinking about what I need to do in order to get my guns back.

How difficult will it be for me to get my FOID and CCL restored if I've been subject to a 2 year Plenary Civil No Contact Order? The ISP website says:

"If the duration of your order of protection was less than a year, and the order of protection has since expired, you do not need to file an appeal."

But when I look at the letter I got from the ISP in 2020, it says "If the order is expired, vacated, or dismissed, call the Customer Service Call Center at 217.782.7980." 

Does anyone have experience getting their FOID/CCL renewed after a 2 year plenary order of protection?

Not sure if it matters, but I applied to renew my CCL just before all this went down back in early 2020, and I assume it was denied. My FOID would've expired earlier this year. 

On 6/26/2022 at 9:02 PM, ClarenceThomas said:

I'm in a similar situation as @Blitz77. My wife got an 2-year plenary Civil No Contact Order against me. It's totally bogus, like most of these things, and it's being used as leverage in a custody dispute. During this process my FOID card was revoked and I turned it in to local PD, but I had the foresight to transfer my guns to another FOID cardholder prior to the revocation, so I was able to check the "I don't own any guns" box. Fortunately, this order is scheduled to be dismissed in fall of 2022, so now I'm thinking about what I need to do in order to get my guns back.

How difficult will it be for me to get my FOID and CCL restored if I've been subject to a 2 year Plenary Civil No Contact Order? The ISP website says:

"If the duration of your order of protection was less than a year, and the order of protection has since expired, you do not need to file an appeal."

But when I look at the letter I got from the ISP in 2020, it says "If the order is expired, vacated, or dismissed, call the Customer Service Call Center at 217.782.7980." 

Does anyone have experience getting their FOID/CCL renewed after a 2 year plenary order of protection?

Not sure if it matters, but I applied to renew my CCL just before all this went down back in early 2020, and I assume it was denied. My FOID would've expired earlier this year. 

I don't think I've gone through the process with anyone yet under the new process and with  2 year order but we can find out for you when the time comes.

On 6/26/2022 at 10:42 PM, Molly B. said:

I don't think I've gone through the process with anyone yet under the new process and with  2 year order but we can find out for you when the time comes.

This year we’ve been getting informal appeals thru on this prohibitor in about 30-60 days. May be a quicker way but we always bulletproof the appeal as I don’t ever want to risk a denial then have to an administrative hearing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 9:35 AM, joker said:

If ones FOID is revoked for clear and present danger, how does one find out what this is for ?

In my experience, you will not receive the ISP business file as part of any Informal Appeal and therefore, unless you can independently obtain the C&PD report from the local agency that submitted it to ISP, you will not know the particulars. You may be able to get the general facts (date, location, very short description of event) from ISP and that's it. You're expected to 'know what happened' and god help you if you don't describe it the same way to your evaluator as ISP thinks it went down.

If your Informal Appeal is denied, then you will receive the ISP business file as part of your request for an administrative hearing. A lot of good that does you by then, but at least you can prepare for the hearing and give it to your expert (evaluator).

FBI last week investigated a video individual made over a year ago, there was no other law enforcement involved, no files charged, no arrests, no mental health checks,  

FBI said don't do this again, and they would not revoke his gun rights, yesterday online he saw FOID revoked 

So expect a call

Thank you 

Good afternoon all,

It's been some late may that I submitted my appeal for my foid revocation due to mental health stay in October 2020. I wanted to check the status of y appeal and was guided by the ISRA rep to go on my isp portal to attempt to complete a new foid application. Apparently it should have been impossible for me to even attempt to make and submit the new foid application if I was completely revoked. Does this sound right?

On 7/26/2022 at 2:00 PM, Maverick7 said:

Good afternoon all,

It's been some late may that I submitted my appeal for my foid revocation due to mental health stay in October 2020. I wanted to check the status of y appeal and was guided by the ISRA rep to go on my isp portal to attempt to complete a new foid application. Apparently it should have been impossible for me to even attempt to make and submit the new foid application if I was completely revoked. Does this sound right?

This doesn't track right. You are either revoked or not. If revoked, your appeal is either pending, denied, or granted. You can check the status of your appeal by using the portal to see whether you are still revoked. However, if your appeal was denied, this process will not tell you. You need to email ISP and ask for a status update - they are supposed to send you a letter letting you know if the appeal was granted or denied. If denied, you have a right to administrative hearing.

Continued from last post

I received an email from a tammy miner illinoi.gov email on June 30th, Stating I need a forensic eval and a notarized letter from myself even tho I had already sent that in with the appeal package. I contacted the ISRA for guidance and was advised not to respond to the email to avoid having to pay for a forensic eval and also having my application streamlined since apparently if my foid is revoked I shouldn't have been able to upload documents and start a new foid card application? 

I'm trying to weigh my options here. I really wanted to get on a police academy this October and I'm simply looking to streamline this process. Any advice, guidance and perhaps things to expect?

Thank you all in advance. Simply trying to move on with my life after. All this trouble because of one small incident where I felt down in the dumps and stayed in 

On 7/26/2022 at 2:03 PM, FredNickl said:

This doesn't track right. You are either revoked or not. If revoked, your appeal is either pending, denied, or granted. You can check the status of your appeal by using the portal to see whether you are still revoked. However, if your appeal was denied, this process will not tell you. You need to email ISP and ask for a status update - they are supposed to send you a letter letting you know if the appeal was granted or denied. If denied, you have a right to administrative hearing.

I didn't get anything in the mail except this email with the following: review of your file indicates the following documents are needed to complete your FOID appeal:

"A review of your file indicates the following documents are needed to complete your FOID appeal:

A statement in your own words, which is signed, date and notarized, that contains the following:

Details  and circumstances regarding:

Any and all mental health admissions;

Your current mental status and condition;

Your mental health history, including any prior treatment or admissions; and

Whether you complied with treatment and/or medications.

You must also include:

The dates and details of all actual or alleged acts of suicide or violence;

Whether law enforcement was involved;

Whether the courts were involved, and,

Whether medical personnel were involved.

If law enforcement, the courts or medical personnel were involved, you must also include the date(s) of each incident along with the names/addresses of each agency; the date(s) of each legal action and the county and state where such records are held; and who provided the medical care and where they are located.

Any other proof to support your suitability for the restoration of your firearm rights including evidence that you will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety and that granting relief would not be contrary to the public interest.

Additionally, you will need to request that the following be sent directly to the ISP from those in possession of the documents:

A current (within 45 days of ISP’s receipt) forensic evaluation "

On 7/26/2022 at 2:03 PM, FredNickl said:

I've been looking to see where I can see the status of my appeal on my portal but all I see is the tabs to start a new foid, ccl or instructors permit.

On 7/26/2022 at 2:04 PM, Maverick7 said:

Continued from last post

I received an email from a tammy miner illinoi.gov email on June 30th, Stating I need a forensic eval and a notarized letter from myself even tho I had already sent that in with the appeal package. I contacted the ISRA for guidance and was advised not to respond to the email to avoid having to pay for a forensic eval and also having my application streamlined since apparently if my foid is revoked I shouldn't have been able to upload documents and start a new foid card application? 

I'm trying to weigh my options here. I really wanted to get on a police academy this October and I'm simply looking to streamline this process. Any advice, guidance and perhaps things to expect?

Thank you all in advance. Simply trying to move on with my life after. All this trouble because of one small incident where I felt down in the dumps and stayed in 

I won't comment on the advice you are getting elsewhere, other than to say it conflicts with the advice that I would give.

On 7/26/2022 at 2:07 PM, Maverick7 said:

I didn't get anything in the mail except this email with the following: review of your file indicates the following documents are needed to complete your FOID appeal:

"A review of your file indicates the following documents are needed to complete your FOID appeal:

A statement in your own words, which is signed, date and notarized, that contains the following:

Details  and circumstances regarding:

Any and all mental health admissions;

Your current mental status and condition;

Your mental health history, including any prior treatment or admissions; and

Whether you complied with treatment and/or medications.

You must also include:

The dates and details of all actual or alleged acts of suicide or violence;

Whether law enforcement was involved;

Whether the courts were involved, and,

Whether medical personnel were involved.

If law enforcement, the courts or medical personnel were involved, you must also include the date(s) of each incident along with the names/addresses of each agency; the date(s) of each legal action and the county and state where such records are held; and who provided the medical care and where they are located.

Any other proof to support your suitability for the restoration of your firearm rights including evidence that you will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety and that granting relief would not be contrary to the public interest.

Additionally, you will need to request that the following be sent directly to the ISP from those in possession of the documents:

A current (within 45 days of ISP’s receipt) forensic evaluation "

Why do you think that you don't need to obtain a forensic evaluation?

On 7/26/2022 at 2:15 PM, FredNickl said:

I won't comment on the advice you are getting elsewhere, other than to say it conflicts with the advice that I would give.

Why do you think that you don't need to obtain a forensic evaluation?

I didn't think I needed one because of the advice the ISRA rep told me. Accordingly after the new ISP laws placed into effect this January, one wouldn't need a forensic eval first until prompted to by the state. At this point idk who to trust. She sounded knowledgeable of the process to get this appeal done. I also know I sent my notarized statement so I'm not sure why they asking for it again. I just want to streamline this process as fast as I am able to.

On 7/26/2022 at 2:21 PM, Maverick7 said:

I didn't think I needed one because of the advice the ISRA rep told me. Accordingly after the new ISP laws placed into effect this January, one wouldn't need a forensic eval first until prompted to by the state. At this point idk who to trust. She sounded knowledgeable of the process to get this appeal done. I also know I sent my notarized statement so I'm not sure why they asking for it again. I just want to streamline this process as fast as I am able to.

Looks like I already responded to you back in May. I have not changed my opinion since then.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a quick question. I am 5 years post being a patient in a Mental Health Facility. No previous history and none since. I have completed the review with a clinical practitioner and am ready to complete the submission of all the forms. I just want to get clarification on a few items:

1. Does the Clinical practitioner submit the Firearm Disposition Record as well as the Mental Health Certification Form? I did give a copy of that to him.

2. Once the forms have been submitted to the ISP do I receive my FOID card back upon approval of the review OR do I need to apply for the FOID card again? If it's the later, how do I know when to submit the application again? 

Thank you for any help on this.

Thank you for the re

On 8/26/2022 at 3:00 PM, FredNickl said:

Evaluator submits the evaluation only. You submit the rest.

If your appeal is granted, your firearm civil rights are restored and you get a new FOID card.

Thank you for the response. Ok, I will wait until he send off the eval and then i will send the Firearm disposition. So, to confirm, no new FOID application is needed to accompany the documentation. I simply just wait to see if it gets approved and then a new card will arrive providing it's approved? 

Thank you again!