Prohibited Carry Zones - 23 Categories

Molly B.

"But the public right-of-way on that land (the street & sidewalk) is not prohibited."

So your point is "the street & sidewalk" has to be owned by the public. Does that mean you can carry on a public sidewalk that goes through a Cook County Forest Preserve (a prohibited area)?

Read my P.S. post again. The streets and sidewalks are not owned by the public. They're on the public right-of-way across private land, in most cases.

A sidewalk through the forest preserve is on public land, but is not necessarily a public right-of-way. If there were a street that crosses a public forest, that's a right-of-way. For example, parts of W 135th Street are entirely within the preserve, but it is a public right-of-way, so it is not prohibited per ( c ). A paved path that wanders through the park is not a public right-of-way.

I've searched the forum and couldn't find a definitive answer to this question... That is, a definition of what an "entertainment venue" is.

Simply stating that an "Entertainment Venue" is a prohibited area seems to me to be way too broad of a statement and therefore left wide open for (negative) interpretation.

In my mind, an "entertainment venue" might include such areas as all movie theaters, golf courses, miniature putting, batting cages, pools, and more, making these and others similarly "defined" venues off limits, regardless as to whether or not they are "posted".

The definition of entertainment itself is quite broad:

en·ter·tain·ment noun \ˌen-tər-ˈtān-mənt\

: amusement or pleasure that comes from watching a performer, playing a game, etc.

: the act of amusing or entertaining people

Thoughts?

Edited by hydraglide

I've searched the forum and couldn't find a definitive answer to this question... That is, a definition of what an "entertainment venue" is.

Simply stating that an "Entertainment Venue" is a prohibited area seems to me to be way too broad of a statement and therefore left wide open for (negative) interpretation.

In my mind, an "entertainment venue" might include such areas as all movie theaters, golf courses, miniature putting, batting cages, pools, and more, making these and others similarly "defined" venues off limits, regardless as to whether or not they are "posted".

: amusement or pleasure that comes from watching a performer, playing a game, etc.

Thoughts?

Entertainment venue is only used in 65 (a)(15), which are all areas under the control of a college or university. It doesn't include commercial theaters,etc.

Thoughts?

Entertainment venue is only used in 65 (a)(15), which are all areas under the control of a college or university. It doesn't include commercial theaters,etc.

Thanks, Blackbeard... I was obviously reading it wrong... Phew!

• 1 month later...

Getting back to the issue of carrying on a public right of way here is what the

large law firm Holland and Knight had to say about it. Note the example of carrying in a park.

"Holland & Knight

Illinois Government and Municipal Practice

Prohibited Areas and Employment Implications Under Illinois' New Concealed

Carry Act

November 25, 2013

By

Andrew N. Fiske

Mark E. Burkland

Conceal Carrying Through a Prohibited Area

Although a licensee cannot carry a concealed firearm in a

Prohibited Area, the new law allows a licensee to carry a

concealed firearm through a Prohibited Area so long as

the licensee is traveling along a public right-of-way.

For example, a licensee may carry a concealed firearm when

walking on a public sidewalk that goes through a park or past a school, so long as the licensee is "traveling" and does not veer off the sidewalk."

Getting back to the issue of carrying on a public right of way here is what the

large law firm Holland and Knight had to say about it. Note the example of carrying in a park.

"Holland & Knight

Illinois Government and Municipal Practice

Prohibited Areas and Employment Implications Under Illinois' New Concealed

Carry Act

November 25, 2013

By

Andrew N. Fiske

Mark E. Burkland

Conceal Carrying Through a Prohibited Area

Although a licensee cannot carry a concealed firearm in a

Prohibited Area, the new law allows a licensee to carry a

concealed firearm through a Prohibited Area so long as

the licensee is traveling along a public right-of-way.

For example, a licensee may carry a concealed firearm when

walking on a public sidewalk that goes through a park or past a school, so long as the licensee is "traveling" and does not veer off the sidewalk."

I'd agree with that. You just have to realize that just being a sidewalk doesn't make it a public right-of-way.

• 2 weeks later...

Can i carry in Shawnee National forest,in southern il ?

Per the National Forest Service, state law controls on this issue: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5066182.pdf

Shawnee National Forest specific: http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/shawnee/recreation/hunting

It sounds like they want firearms unloaded and cased when in recreational areas. Not sure if this is a mandate or a request. There is a number you could call to ask.

For National Parks, the NRA has a good webpage: http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/fact-sheets/2010/firearms-regulations-in-national-parks.aspx

Edited by Falstaff

• 3 weeks later...

Can i carry in Shawnee National forest,in southern il ?

Per the National Forest Service, state law controls on this issue: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5066182.pdf

Shawnee National Forest specific: http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/shawnee/recreation/hunting

It sounds like they want firearms unloaded and cased when in recreational areas. Not sure if this is a mandate or a request. There is a number you could call to ask.

For National Parks, the NRA has a good webpage: http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/fact-sheets/2010/firearms-regulations-in-national-parks.aspx

Here is a line copied from the first link: The second exception to this law allows people with a concealed weapon permit

to carry a loaded, concealed, handgun either on their person or in their vehicle while on National Forest. This does not apply if the person is engaged in a primitive weapons season or chase only season.
But, as always, state and local laws apply. http://dnr.state.il.us/law3/Documents/ConcealedCarryQnA.pdf

• 1 month later...
Regarding safe haven in a vehicle. O'hare airport has signs posted at the guard post entrance that say no firearms. I work at the airport and enter the property far away from the terminal. I would like to stop at the range on my way to work sometimes but I am not sure I can have my firearms in my trunk. I could break them down and put them in a locked case. I just want to know the law in case they do a random vehicle search. I guess the question is, does "no firearms" mean not allowed on property under no exceptions?

Regarding safe haven in a vehicle. O'hare airport has signs posted at the guard post entrance that say no firearms. I work at the airport and enter the property far away from the terminal. I would like to stop at the range on my way to work sometimes but I am not sure I can have my firearms in my trunk. I could break them down and put them in a locked case. I just want to know the law in case they do a random vehicle search. I guess the question is, does "no firearms" mean not allowed on property under no exceptions?

Regardless of if it's criminally legal or illegal, if you in violation of employer work rules they can fire you.

You know, I'm seeing a lot of "parks" in Champaign area losing their CPZ signs.

I'm actually at work, next to a patch of grass which is apparently controlled by the Champaign Park District. There is a sign on the main roadway, but not on the side next to the residential neighborhood.

Does this constitute a park? What about the tiny patches of grass where they have a flower bed and a sign? I really think we need to get rid of these arbitrary and amorphous borders where your rights no longer exist, in fact, they are actively stripped by the law which I thought was the point of the suit that got the FCCL in place. Considering my taxes are paying for it as well, I'm definitely not getting my benefit of it since I cannot effectively protect myself and my children in some park. So, either I should be able to opt out of paying for it, or I should be able to practice my rights on land I help pay to maintain.

The other issue here was my first point. CPZ signs are disappearing on some parks. I don't know if people have stolen them, or if they were removed purposely by the park district. Centennial Park's CPZ signs are gone, but Kaufman park is still posted. Kaufman Lake is posted as well, which I didn't think qualified as a park, since it's a location where fishing is a primary purpose.

I think there needs to be something done about the prohibited locations. Just like the case that has begun to bring down the walls between the states for firearm sales, there is no demonstrable benefit for causing there to be so many prohibited locations. Yet, there are instances where a "gun free zone" has been demonstrated to be a danger, because it provides unarmed victims for those intent on great bodily harm.

Let's add to that the punitive way in which they enforce the CPZ's, and just simply possessing a thing inside some magical border becomes some egregious crime. At most, it is trespass, only to be escalated when there is actual criminal intent.

Edited by Trevis

Any places supported through taxpayer money should be clear of signs. Period.

Wasn't there a case here in Illinois that dealt with a ban in public housing......Winbigler?

Wouldn't the same apply to parks being publicly owned just like public housing?

Seems to me with Shepard and Heller, it was ruled that we have the right to carry for the purpose of self defense in public. If it is taxpayer funded... to me its public.

just my opinion,

Stay Safe and Carry Responsibly

Please take it easy on me :-) if this has been clarified before but I've searched using all terms I can think of. I've read the law many times and even asked the ISP for help.

Question:Are CCL holders prohibited from even having a firearm locked in the car when at Hines Hospital? Sign says no guns on property. My confusion comes from the fact it's a federal facillity. Using my limited understanding of legalese, since it's not nuclear it's OK to keep it looked away.

Crypto, you were right to question this one. The prohibition on possessing firearms at a VA hospital or anywhere on the property is a Federal restriction and is incorporated into 430 ILCS 66/65(a)(23):

(23) Any area where firearms are prohibited under federal law.

Just like a military base, federal cemetery, or a post office, firearms are not allowed on the property, even when kept in a vehicle.

Edited by kwc

430 ILCS 66/65(a)(23) should be stricken because you can still be prosecuted under federal law regardless of what the state decides to do.

As for cemeteries and such, only if they're posted.

I would be surprised to find a federal cemetery that isn't posted. The federal statute would still apply, whether posted or not.

There are many situations in which military attorneys may choose to not bring federal charges against somebody. For example, when another jurisdiction is bringing the same or similar charges against that person. For example, there was a drunk driver that ran from Highland Park Police several months ago. Long story short, the civilian ran the barrier at Naval Station Great Lakes and ended up hitting at least 1 NSGL PD vehicle before being stopped. To the best of my knowledge, JAG did not bring up charges against the guy because Highland Park, Lake Forest, Lake Bluff, and/or North Chicago were going to be throwing several charges his way.

Same thing with the 2 kids that broke into vehicles parked in a military housing community built on Navy owned land. The service members living there caught the kids, and the town, and victimized service members decided to bring charges against the kids, and the military attorneys stayed out of the matter.

The military attorneys will bring charges when another jurisdiction won't intervene.

Edited by domin8