Illinois CHL training good for AZ permit ?

mjw45

Has anyone used their IL Concealed Carry Training to successfully apply for an Arizona concealed carry permit?

I was just contacted by a student who was rejected by AZ for a permit, stating that he needed an NRA trainer number.

He only took the day 2 class (military exempt).

I told him he could just send in a copy of his DD214, not sure why he tried his IL certificate, but from what I see of the requirements it should be accepted.

I have told him to just use his DD214 just to get his permit for now.

AZ rejection reason- (THE INSTRUCTORS NRA-ISSUED INSTRUCTOR NUMBER IS NOT PRINTED ON THE DOCUMENT(S) SUBMITTED) - The certificate, card or document of completion submitted must have the instructor's name, signature and valid NRA-issued instructor number printed on the document to meet the criteria of ARS 13-3112 subsection N.1 or N.8

Here is what I have found for AZ training requirements-

ARS §13-3112.N. section N number 8

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.

I am an instructor certified by the Illinois State Police and issued a certificate for training approved by the Illinois State Police.

I have an email into AZ DPS and may call them tomorrow. They have been very good at getting back to me on other questions I have had, even calling to follow up on emails before.

Unless they mean AZ department of public safety, not just any states DPS or state police, hmm just thought of that.

I guess I could issue a secondary certificate for day 2 with my NRA number on it for students who only needed day 2, but did not have military service.

Just curious if he was the first to try this.

Matt

All you need to do is draft a certificate on your company's form that includes your NRA instructor number. You would give him the Illinois State Police certificate and your company's certificate. He uses the ISP certificate for Illinois and your company's certificate for AZ.

I have photoshopped my NRA number on my Illinois State Police certificate. One less certificate, KISS.

Yes AZ and FL accept NRA Basic Pistol.

I did not want to add anything to the IL certificate for fear of confusing Illinois at this point with a non standard certificate.

Granted there should be no issue with it, but for those of us that have lived here our whole lives nothing would come as a surprise.

I mean no permits because the paper is out of spec!

I could give another certificate, but I had no reason to, he could have used his DD214, like I advised him to.

My 2 day students have NRA basic Pistol and I don't think there is a way to get 8 hours of IL credit without being eligible for an AZ or FL permit.

Ok for AZ you may not be eligible if you just took a FL/Utah class, but did not receive the permit yet as AZ accepts copies of the permits but mentions nothing about accepting the training certificate.

then it comes back to 'department of public safety approved training', does that mean AZ department of safety or any states department of public safety (or equivalent).

Also found out that the student filled in on application for business name/training only my company name, I wonder if he had filled in 'Illinois Concealed Carry class' if that would have made a difference, since then they would have been looking for state approved traning.

Will know more after AZ opens for business.

Matt

Any class taught by an NRA instructor is sufficient. They just need the NRA instructor number for whomever taught the class.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Finally received a response from AZ.

NRA Instructor only according to them.

So I guess I will just have to add my NRA number to the IL certificate or issue a separate certificate.

Not hard to due, I just did not want to make any changes to the IL certificate and give the ISP a reason to reject applications.

It really shouldn't be an issue for most of my students since they already have something else accepted my AZ, either NRA BP, hunters ed, military service, or another states permit training.

The only issue could be for someone who has permit training, but not the permit yet since AZ wants a copy of the permit and says nothing about training.

Matt

I am a bit confused. If you have an IL permit can't you carry concealed in AZ? What would be the advantage to getting AZ permit. Also I have FL & UT. Clarification from anyone would be greatly appreciated

I know AZ will add WI if you have Fl and IL. The benefit is you don't have to take another class to get Utah if you just want Wisconsin.

I am a bit confused. If you have an IL permit can't you carry concealed in AZ? What would be the advantage to getting AZ permit.

Carrying in the many states that recognize an AZ non-res permit but not an IL permit.

from http://www.handgunla...Maps/ccwmap.php

appears those states would be: MT, WY, NM, ND, NE, TX, LA, WI, OH, WV, PA, VA, GA, DE

AZ is cheap and easy, but not recognized in that many states. You can leverage your Illinois training to get a UT and FL permit, which gives you 40 states. UT is recognized by WI, MN, PA and WA, which do not recognize FL non-resident. FL gives you FL and another state or two which do not recognize UT.

That's 40 good reasons to be from Illinois - miles from Illinois ;)

AZ is cheap and easy, but not recognized in that many states. You can leverage your Illinois training to get a UT and FL permit, which gives you 40 states. UT is recognized by WI, MN, PA and WA, which do not recognize FL non-resident. FL gives you FL and another state or two which do not recognize UT.

That's 40 good reasons to be from Illinois - miles from Illinois ;)

AZ is recognized in lots of states. There are only like 5 states that vary in different combinations between UT, AZ and FL non-resident permits... WA, MN, NM, WI, and FL off the top of my head.

Utah requires a Utah specific course. If your Illinois course was taught by a mutually approved instructor and included the Utah course, then you're ok, but if not, you'll have to take a Utah course. In that sense, AZ might be better. Florida gives you Florida that AZ doesn't but also loses Wisconsin, and Florida is more expensive. Comparing UT and AZ, UT gets you MN and WA but you lose NM.

That explains why the certificate I got from a student had an NRA instructor signature and number on a non-NRA certificate.

That said, I recall being told by a facilitator that one could not use their identity as a NRA instructor when teaching non-NRA courses. Was I misled?

ETA - just found two NRA training Memos (1) (2) that you can use your NRA instructor information, but you must clearly state that it is not an NRA approved course.

Archived