Melting Point List - Affected By CCW Preemption?

Talonap

I heard from sellers that the melting point law was made to bar low priced guns in the state. That sounds like a scene that played well for anti's as well as companies that sell guns for an arm and a leg. To this day I still don't get how a handgun can cost more than a couple hundred dollars. Ya ya I know...american made...yak yak yak.

It started as a way to keep cheap guns from gangs and at the same time denying low income people the chance to own a firearm.

I heard from sellers that the melting point law was made to bar low priced guns in the state. That sounds like a scene that played well for anti's as well as companies that sell guns for an arm and a leg. To this day I still don't get how a handgun can cost more than a couple hundred dollars. Ya ya I know...american made...yak yak yak.

It started as a way to keep cheap guns from gangs and at the same time denying low income people the chance to own a firearm.

The real reason is in bold. There have been several attempts to modernize the "Saturday Night Special" law - most notably after Bryco/Jenningg and the other CNC mass produced cheapos came on the market.... basically if it wasn't a "brand name" like Colt or Smith & Wesson with an MSRP in the $600 range you wouldn't have been able to buy it.

But remember... we bitter clingers are the ones who keep those who look different than us down...

The real reason is in bold. There have been several attempts to modernize the "Saturday Night Special" law - most notably after Bryco/Jenningg and the other CNC mass produced cheapos came on the market.... basically if it wasn't a "brand name" like Colt or Smith & Wesson with an MSRP in the $600 range you wouldn't have been able to buy it.

But remember... we bitter clingers are the ones who keep those who look different than us down...

The original saturday night special laws came after the civil war in the former confederate states. The 14th amendment meant they could not outright deny the former slaves the right to keep and bear arms, so they banned inexpensive handguns (in fact most of the laws passed said the Colt Single-Action Army revolver was the only legal handgun) to keep them out of the hands of the recently freed slaves

......... so they banned inexpensive handguns (in fact most of the laws passed said the Colt Single-Action Army revolver was the only legal handgun) to keep them out of the hands of the recently freed slaves

I am pretty well versed on the subject and I have never, ever come across anything that supports that.

Not arguing about the inexpensive gun ban and minorities (and immigrants should be included) but I do not believe the SSA was ever the only legal handgun in any jurisdiction

......... so they banned inexpensive handguns (in fact most of the laws passed said the Colt Single-Action Army revolver was the only legal handgun) to keep them out of the hands of the recently freed slaves

I am pretty well versed on the subject and I have never, ever come across anything that supports that.

Not arguing about the inexpensive gun ban and minorities (and immigrants should be included) but I do not believe the SSA was ever the only legal handgun in any jurisdiction

I was wrong about it being most, but Tennessee's "Army and Navy law" banned handguns except Army and Navy models, which was basically the Colt SA Army and SA Navy

Does this law apply to polymer handguns?

Exactly! I'm sure plastic melts at a lower temperature than zinc.

Polymers don't really "melt" in the sense that metal melts, they start to break down in different ways (and it actually is at a much higher temperature than zinc melts)

Although the law does only apply to metal

(A) A person commits the offense of unlawful sale or

delivery of firearms when he or she knowingly does

any of the following:

(h) While holding any license as a dealer, importer,

manufacturer or pawnbroker under the federal Gun

Control Act of 1968, manufactures, sells or delivers

to any unlicensed person a handgun having a barrel,

slide, frame or receiver which is a die casting of

zinc alloy or any other nonhomogeneous metal which

will melt or deform at a temperature of less than

800 degrees Fahrenheit.

Interesting that it says "unlicensed person" I wonder if you could argue a C&R will let you possess a zinc ally handgun?

Interesting that it says "unlicensed person" I wonder if you could argue a C&R will let you possess a zinc ally handgun?

the law does not ban owning them, only bans licensed persons from selling them.

It bans licensed persons from selling them to unlicensed persons

So let me reword my (semi-rhetorical) question to "I wonder if you could argue a C&R will let you purchase a zinc alloy handgun?"

So let me reword my (semi-rhetorical) question to "I wonder if you could argue a C&R will let you purchase a zinc alloy handgun?"

Probably not unless it was an antique ...

. I don't think it will as a cr isn't licensed seller dealer, etc wouldn't matter anyways wholesalers won't ship them to dealers in Il, but you don't need anything to buy one, so long as its an individual there are a lot of them here and there are legal ways to get them here

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Archived