Simple ? on safe harbor

powderhead

First let me say with total humility make sure you read, reread, and rereread the law,e specially Section 65. It's important to be intimately familar with it.

Second....there is some disagreement as to whether you can store it loaded or unloaded in your vehicle, heck we can't all agree on the color of the sky here, but MY understanding, and remember that IANAL, is loaded out of sight storage in a case within a locked vehicle is good to go.

Tapa-what? Tapatalk.

Second....there is some disagreement as to whether you can store it loaded or unloaded in your vehicle, heck we can't all agree on the color of the sky here, but MY understanding, and remember that IANAL, is loaded out of sight storage in a locked vehicle is good to go.

Actually, Molly B locked another thread on this topic and made it clear that storing loaded inside your car IS legal. Only needs to be unloaded if you're in a GFZ and want to store in your trunk- if you have to leave your car to reach the trunk.

Yes, as I said, there is disagreement. Unless you're saying the thread was everyone agreeing with her.

And I agree with her, but obviously that thread showed that there is disagreement.

Tapa-what? Tapatalk.

People will disagree if you say that grass is green. I will go with her as an authority on this topic. Of course this doesn't apply to federally restricted places, which she said in other posts.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44937entry643364

You can store it out of sight in a locked car OR in a locked case inside the car.

If you have to exit the vehicle to store it, it needs to be unloaded first.

What if you enter a GFZ parking area and your vehicle is a motorcycle?

I'm going to say that you have to store it in a locked container before you get off the bike. If you have to get off the bike before locked storage can take place, then you must unload the firearm before you get off the motorcycle.

(B) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk, provided the licensee ensures the concealed firearm is unloaded prior to exiting the vehicle. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.

Tapa-what? Tapatalk.

shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area.

Seems to indicate a "case" out of plain view is required, so under your seat won't count.

Operative word "or". Inside the vehicle it needs to be in a "case". The vehicle need to be locked.

In some other scenario where the vehicle or the place on the vehicle can't be locked, the case needs to be locked and out of plain view. I'm guessing a motorcycle saddle bag with a locked "case" inside the bag

Bottom line: someone can't walk up to the vehicle and see the gun, and they need to break in to steal it.

Do we have anyone who reads legalese well enough to tell us the significance of the use of the word "may" as in, " shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store" To make it mandatory I would think they would have used the word "shall". The word "May" leads me to think maybe you want to maybe you don't want to.

Archived