Stupid Rumors

45b

Don't you just love it when people get stupid rumors going about concealed carry.

I just had a student call me. He was l worried that he had to qualify again because he did not use

the same gun he planned to carry. He was told this by a local gun shop owner. The owner is not an

instructor and apparently has not read the law.

This is the third time I have heard from students about incorrect info from him.

Also had another instructor send students to same range we were using to shoot a qualification without him

being there to witness them shooting. The range owner told them it was illegal and made them call him to the range.

He claimed to not know it was wrong.

Just answer "I don't know" and then look it up in the law.

Sorry.Rant over.

Don't you just love it when people get stupid rumors going about concealed carry.

I just had a student call me. He was l worried that he had to qualify again because he did not use

the same gun he planned to carry. He was told this by a local gun shop owner. The owner is not an

This is the third time I have heard from students about incorrect info from him.

Also had another instructor send students to same range we were using to shoot a qualification without him

being there to witness them shooting. The range owner told them it was illegal and made them call him to the range.

Sorry.Rant over.

It's worse than that. You not only must qualify for the gun you carry, you must qualify with all the guns you ever intend to carry! :) ;)

In the future I will try to keep my humor to the back room.

Sorry.Rant over.

It's worse than that. You not only must qualify for the gun you carry, you must qualify with all the guns you ever intend to carry! :) ;)

...and you must then carry ALL the guns you qualified with....ALL at once!

See, it's just what the antis warned us about.....everyone is going to be carrying 15 guns!

I have also had them tell me you can not qualify with a 22lr handgun.

I've have heard some misconseptions from LE friends and your average joe/jane. Had a guy tell me yesterday that he's not going to apply because of the "40hr." Training requirement! Same guy was blowing in insulation with no mask or goggles. Then caughing and spitting at break. Kinda question his ability to make good decisions but I gave him the real requirements for illinois anyway.

An LE friend of mine told me a while back that if I transport my firearm unloaded and in a case, that the ammo had to be transported in a seperate case/location(that's kinda scary that LE wouldn't know the law)

Instructors have some discretion. Our policy is for them to use the firearm they intend to carry or one of ours, not a .22.

That is quite a bit different from mistating the law.

The Sheriffs office here in Sangamon County used to have a class on firearms for "home defense" and told the same about ammo and guns being separate and stored in the trunk.

When the error was pointed out to them in class by me, the Sheriff Neil Williamson responded by placing a copy of the section law in every deputies mail box so they

would know the law and apologizing to the class.

Kudos to him.

I'm not going to get too deep into this, but I heard one person who should know better (NOT on this forum) state that you cannot own or shoot a class 3 weapon in Illinois without a federal tax stamp.

Yeah - sometimes I feel like a genius.

Instructors have some discretion. Our policy is for them to use the firearm they intend to carry or one of ours, not a .22. That is quite a bit different from mistating the law.

What do you do when a trainee only owns a 22 and doesn't feel comfortable shooting a pistol that he/she is unfamiliar with and/or refuses to use one of your pistols? Do you not allow that person in your class?

I had my instructor for part 1 " nra basic pistol" who hadn't got his Illinois approval yet for the part 2, tell me by email that I could qualify with my 22, so I brought it to the part 1 class, at the end of the class we had gone to the range and while there shot the qualifying target for the Illinois part 2, with the thought I guess that that could be used on part 2 to fulfill the shooting qualifying, Now after I had done my shoot he told me that I would have to shoot again because I couldn't shoot a 22 "ruger mkII" for qualifying, I was a little more than miffed as I had my 9mm in my car and would of used that instead, as it turned out we all had to reshoot in the second class because he hadn't got his cert yet and we had a different isp certified instructor for the part 2 where that time I did use my 9mm, but 2 people in the class did use ,22lr pistols and nothing was said. so 1st instructor was a bit full of it. A local radio talk show guy bugs me because he keeps telling people on the radio that you have to get fingerprints done for the permit. I tried to call him a couple times on that issue but havnt made it threw yet. The scarey ones are when law enforcement doesn't know the law, people who are not gun people, yea I get questions and comments about it and do my best to set them straight or point them to this web forum, My thinking is the best we can do is try to inform those around us as best we can about what is and what isn't.

Instructors have some discretion. Our policy is for them to use the firearm they intend to carry or one of ours, not a .22.

Out of curiosity: why? Of course you can make rules in your class that are more stringent than the law. But why hamstring any students who wish to use a 22?

And what if they actually do intend to carry a .22? (I wouldn't, but some do)

It is His Class , Therefore His Rules , Don't Like it go to another instructor

I do not necessarily agree with it . But that is not my call

It is His Class , Therefore His Rules , Don't Like it go to another instructor I do not necessarily agree with it . But that is not my call.

Then the instructor should point out in the law where it says that 22s aren't allowed for qualification: if he can.

I'm all for exercising discretion when necessary but to blow off a student and the income from that student by being overly restrictive in the choice of firearm the student is comfortable with, doesn't make economic sense and certainly doesn't do very much to foment good customer relations.

It is His Class , Therefore His Rules , Don't Like it go to another instructor

No argument there... Just curious about the thinking. I would certainly hope that the prospective students are told about the house rules before they register for the class. I know I was surprised by an instructor 'rule' after I had signed up and paid... thinking I was going to be certified according to the law.

Wait a minute... we get badges?!

Sunday is a Ladys day class . Ranging any from 45 -71 . The 71y/o lady has a G17 . She told me she shots it all the Time .To say the least it will be interesting .

Where do I sign up for a Badge ????

I'm all for exercising discretion when necessary but to blow off a student and the income from that student by being overly restrictive in the choice of firearm the student is comfortable with, doesn't make economic sense and certainly doesn't do very much to foment good customer relations.

A lot of places have a no refund policy, so they would see no loss of income.

We haven't had a student who desired to shoot a .22 yet and none who weren't capable of shooting a 9mm. If someone wants or needs to carry a .22 then they should carry that and qualify with it. We've had students who were mildly disabled and manage to work with their particular needs. Pretty much anyone can handle the recoil of >.22 if properly trained unless, as we have seen, they have grip issues due to nerve damage, etc.

My wife may disagree (and she's the boss) but I have no issue with someone qualifying with a .22. So far no one has left our class unable to qualify with a .380 or higher. Most shoot 9mm, 38spl or .40S&W. I think one guy used a .380. Most students get 30 out of 30 with some 29s. The lowest I recall is a 27.

I urge my students to at least carry a .380 but steer them towards .38spl or 9mm if they haven't chosen a firearm (and many haven't). We discuss expanding ammunition and how to select the best cartridge for their chosen pistol.

Don't we have enough people telling us what kind of gun they think is acceptable and which is not? Since the act doesn't prohibit a person from using whatever handgun they choose, why do you feel you need to?

I've had a couple of people qualify with .22s. One a Ruger Mk II and one with a .22 revolver. I wouldn't want to get shot with a .22... I figure it's not my business if that's what they want to carry. Maybe it's the only gun they can afford? Sure, I do talk about calibers and ammo selection in my class and the benefits of ammo designed for personal protection - but I would never tell somebody they couldn't qualify in the course with a .22. Just my $0.02.

The first and foremost requirement for a carry weapon is that you are thoroughly familiar with it and can shoot it accurately. A .22 is certainly better than a sharp stick, even if it wouldn't be my first choice for self defense. It would be better if the instructor spent some time on the relative advantages and disadvantages of various weapons and calibers than to flatly refuse to qualify someone on something you might consider substandard. There are a lot of people at the gun counter who's first question to the clerk is "what should I buy for self defense." At least CCW instructors have to be certified, and far better qualified to offer advice.

Archived