Walmart Concealed Carry prohibited sign

mjw45

Because this is all new to Illinois. After a while I would bet that the signs will disappear.

I would guess that this is a Walmart policy company wide in every state, they are probably putting the signs up here to clarify the policy on it.

So then why didn't Walmart put up any signs when our neighbor to the north, Wisconsin, passes their concealed carry bill just several years ago?

What makes IL different than WI, in the eyes of Walmart?

On that regard, how come walmart didn't put up signs when Missouri passed the concealed carry law several years before WI, what about Ohio, when they passed their concealed carry law about the same time as Missouri?

Iowa just went "shall issue" January 2012, along with "all permits" recognition for non-residents, to much attention in their local media.

If they apply to employees they need to be near the time clock or break room. I still think putting that at the entrances is absolutely stupid. Advertise to the public "we have disarmed our employees for your convenience."

Not to mention, the whole CPZ signs are stupid in general.

And provide "Employee Storage" near the time clock or break room. Are employees provided lockers?

Thanks, Teach...!!! Good link... I used the button for "Company Feedback and Questions" since it listed Walmart Policies in the sub-header. We'll see if I get a response since that options also required my contact information...

"Recently both the Peoria and East Peoria Illinois Walmart stores posted signs that depict a pistol with a slash through it representing a "no guns" policy. While the wording appears to focus that message toward employees and vendors, the location (front door) is driving ambiguity as to what your exact intentions are. Unfortunately, due to the uncertainty of your intentions, I will no longer chose to shop at Walmart. Fortunately, there are many other merchants in my area who have not chosen to place confusing signage on their front doors."

(a-10) The owner of private real property of any type may prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms on the property under his or her control. The owner must post a sign in accordance with subsection (d) of this Section indicating that firearms are prohibited on the property, unless the property is a private residence.

The mere posting of the sign, in and of itself, is insufficient to render the property prohibited under the law. The owner must have the intent to prohibit carrying on his property. The sign is the expression of the intent. Clearly, Walmart does not intent to prohibit customers from carrying on its property. Walmart clearly intends that the sign have the force of law upon only on-duty employees and vendors. This additional language is allowed on the sign. Nothing in section (a-10) prohibits Walmart from prohibiting certain classes of licensees (provided they're not on some government protected roll).

Probably, some zealous officer could arrest a customer/licensee on the property but then Walmart would testify that it does not prohibit customer/licensees and present the sign to the jury who would understand perfectly the meaning and intent of the text.

Any FAQ on the ISP website is not legal advice nor does it carry the weight of law.

THANK YOU!

Yeah,the manager at Rochelle WM told me if that.. "if am legal to CC that i am legal to come on inside her store"

It's nice to see there are others out there that isn't afraid the "Boogie Man is gonna jump out and getcha"!!! LOL

Any FAQ on the ISP website is not legal advice nor does it carry the weight of law.

I would make the same statement about advice on an internet forum...

And, again, my concern is not Walmart nor Walmart's intentions. Some folks, including the Illinois legislature apparently, believe there are places that guns do not belong. I believe that there are places that sign doesn't belong...

It's not about the booige man.

It's about the general population of IL that WILL call the police if you accidentally expose your pistol and the attitude, knowledge, and training of the responding officer.

If you haven't yet done it I highly encourage you to actually read the law regarding the signage. It's towards he end of section 65. Then read the JCAR adopted rules. Then explain why you still think that is not a legal posted sign, i.e. If you violate it you are in trouble.

Best to get the signs down. Walmart doesn't want to be a posted location, so their employee rules can be handled in a better fashion.

Or else get Walmart to guarantee they will use their lawyers to defend you should you be arrested and charged. Even if you aren't charged being arrested for it isn't something I want anyone going through.

If they apply to employees they need to be near the time clock or break room. I still think putting that at the entrances is absolutely stupid. Advertise to the public "we have disarmed our employees for your convenience."

Not to mention, the whole CPZ signs are stupid in general.

And provide "Employee Storage" near the time clock or break room. Are employees provided lockers?

I know a walmart employee up here in WI. There are no gun lockers for employees.

As far as the signs, they violate walmart corp. policy which is to abide by state law. We've had a couple rogue employees/managers up here who said you couldn't carry in their store, but the misunderstandings were quickly cleared up with calls or emails to the main office.

ckmorley

I know this is a bit dated, but I was looking at it to see Target's position -- because right about now I'm guessing Target would like to have anyone come in and shop, armed or not... :fear:

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2013/09/18/where-companies-stand-on-guns-in-their-stores/

I know this is a bit dated, but I was looking at it to see Target's position -- because right about now I'm guessing Target would like to have anyone come in and shop, armed or not... :fear:

http://blogs.wsj.com...n-their-stores/

With a name like Target, they should only sell firearm supplies and have a range (and have better IT security)

Isn't Target a French owned company??? If so..................

No,

Based in Minnesota based on my research.

ETA: this link as one of many and fix my spelling.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/target.asp

Not sure if this has been covered, but this is from the ISP web site under Frequently Asked Questions. This should be pointed out to Wal-Mart corp. https://ccl4illinois...lic/ISPFaq.aspx

What if a business owner or employer wants to prohibit their employees from carrying in the workplace, can they have more restrictive employment policies? And, if they do so, should they post the required sign?

This is an employment law question. The Illinois State Police cannot give legal advice to employers; however, the law is not written to preempt a private employer’s right to have more restrictive employment policies. If a business owner or employer wants to prohibit only employees, they should not post the required sign as doing so makes the location a prohibited place. Rather, this should be addressed through appropriate employment policies.

REAL SIMPLE SOLUTION !!!!!!! EVERYONE reading and posting here go to your local Walmart and ask for the store manager, tell them your concerned about the sign and the law possibly getting CCW license holders arrested unintentionally. let them know this is a very hot topic all over the web forums and many current customers WILL BE AVOIDING WALMART for fear of a mistaken arrest because of the signage. if they don't have the signage up yet let them know lots of stores do already and you don't want his store added to the list of stores that do. ask him / her to move the sign away from the entrance and to the customer service desk at minimum but would REALLY want to have a sign that doesn't have the gun in a circle and / or the legal crap at the bottom thus making it customer CCW ok. ask what he / she will do about it and get his / her name and the store number, town, etc.

Then call and or email Walmart HQ in Bentonville, AR and give the store number and tell them your concerns as well. get EVERYONE you can to do this. after a boatload of shoppers go over this with the store manager over and over they will get the point. HQ will also take note of this. be polite and friendly as many of these managers may think it's all well and good.

It's sickening seeing our own people not having the common sense God gave a turkey, not everything should need to be broken down barney style

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

It's not paranoia what they really are out to get you.

Remember back around 2003 or so when Lisa Madigan decided one day the FOID Act said that ammo could only be legally purchased in person in the State of Illinois, and got all mail order ammo sales cut off to this State for months until legislation was passed putting things back to where they were (some vendors still won't ship to IL because of that)? It was only a year or so ago they finally passed the last trailer bill to stop her from interfering in intra-State mail order ammo sales as she refused to give up even after her Daddy slapped her down over it.

Maybe this is corporate blackmail by Rahm and his anti-2nd Amendment flunkies. No more Chicago WM's, unless they post. The result of that offer WM couldn't refuse is the "confusing" posted sign, claiming it only pertains to associates and vendors, when WM and Rahm knows it applies to all.

Sounds like you are a fellow cynic

Archived