Walmart Concealed Carry prohibited sign

mjw45

I don't understand why people are patronizing Walmart at all.

Its often referred to as China mart due to the volume of imported goods.

China is still a communist country and by patronizing them are we not supporting a communist regime?

Oh wait... We live in Illinois where there isn't any difference.

For what its worth I find more us made products there everytime I go for example we just bought a cheap set of plastic tumblers because the twins are learning to drink in big girl cups and we found some made in the US that were cheaper than the chinese brands ....go figure lol.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

(a-10) The owner of private real property of any type may prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms on the property under his or her control. The owner must post a sign in accordance with subsection (d) of this Section indicating that firearms are prohibited on the property, unless the property is a private residence.

The mere posting of the sign, in and of itself, is insufficient to render the property prohibited under the law. The owner must have the intent to prohibit carrying on his property. The sign is the expression of the intent. Clearly, Walmart does not intent to prohibit customers from carrying on its property. Walmart clearly intends that the sign have the force of law upon only on-duty employees and vendors. This additional language is allowed on the sign. Nothing in section (a-10) prohibits Walmart from prohibiting certain classes of licensees (provided they're not on some government protected roll).

Probably, some zealous officer could arrest a customer/licensee on the property but then Walmart would testify that it does not prohibit customer/licensees and present the sign to the jury who would understand perfectly the meaning and intent of the text.

Any FAQ on the ISP website is not legal advice nor does it carry the weight of law.

*SLAP*. *CLANG*

I have now thrown the gauntlet down.

I challenge every reader of this thread to do as I did:

Call and speak to your local manager asking them to remove the sign. This can be taken care of with an internal memo.

Call Walmart corporate and say the same.

Email Walmart corporate and say the same.

I don't care if yours is posted or whether or not you shop there. We should all rally to get this, at best, misleading sign taken down. I'd really like to see Walmart let employees carry too.

Two phone calls and an email is a pittance of work to try and restore the rights of others. If you won't do that much then you are in need of some soul searching.

Where do you get the sour attitude thing? I asked what I believe to be a few very pertinent questions.

Are you saying that I as a property owner can not allow anyone to carry on my property if I post the state gun buster sign?

Not being an attorney, I am not saying that. However, there is nothing in the law or regulations that appear to make exemptions to prohibited places possible. Do you or your lawyer see something differently?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

These signs are now up at the Salem Walmart. After i saw it i wanted to stop and check out after reading about it on here, but my idiot store put theirs on the automatic sliding door. So, soon as was close enough to begin to read the print at the top the door slid open moving the "no gun" sign behind another sign totally obscuring it. If i hadn't been reading the posts about this on this forum all i would have seen is the gun and the slash and assumed i wasn't welcome and left.

*SLAP*. *CLANG*

I have now thrown the gauntlet down.

I challenge every reader of this thread to do as I did:

Call and speak to your local manager asking them to remove the sign. This can be taken care of with an internal memo.

Call Walmart corporate and say the same.

Email Walmart corporate and say the same.

I don't care if yours is posted or whether or not you shop there. We should all rally to get this, at best, misleading sign taken down. I'd really like to see Walmart let employees carry too.

Two phone calls and an email is a pittance of work to try and restore the rights of others. If you won't do that much then you are in need of some soul searching.

I had a face to face with a store manager here. There is all sorts of confusion... He did say they were given the sign from "corporate" and it was explained on a conference call that it only applies to employees and vendors. However, a department manager informed me that she is under the impression that a firearm needs to be 100% concealed 100% of the time...

After the conversation, the store manager agreed to pass my concern up the chain... He took my contact info and said someone may contact me to discuss the concerns I brought up.

We shall see...

ETA- The department manager informed me that there is not a separate employee entrance, all employees enter through the front door.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I would not be surprised if we see a revised sign, with no reference to the ILCS, posted at Wal-Mart very soon...

I've seen the signs at the Country Club Hills and Glenwood stores. Both were posted on the receiving (back) doors. Asked a manager at the Glenwood store about it and was told the signs are being sent to ALL Illinois stores from corporate. He told me the signs mean exactly what they say - no ON DUTY employees or vendors are allowed to carry in the store. The signs DO NOT apply to shoppers.

I've seen the signs at the Country Club Hills and Glenwood stores. Both were posted on the receiving (back) doors. Asked a manager at the Glenwood store about it and was told the signs are being sent to ALL Illinois stores from corporate. He told me the signs mean exactly what they say - no ON DUTY employees or vendors are allowed to carry in the store. The signs DO NOT apply to shoppers.

I have no doubt that is the intent, but the reality is arguably different.

Still no response to my email to Walmart corporate sent around noon on Thursday...

The same signs appeared at the East Peoria store. Same situation as others mentioned, it's on a sliding door, and obstructs view of the verbage as soon as your close enough to read it.

I was hesitant to enter the store, as I don't really like the place.

I spoke with the store manager and he looked down to the floor and said "here we go again".

Before he said anything else, I said "Your tone indicates you're frustrated with people confused by the manner in which your company has chosen to enforce it's employee policy upon it's costumers? Are you next going to post a uniform policy on the door to further confuse people?"

He said they are working on addressing the signage.

From an Oklahoma WM:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn82/awanderlust/IMG_20131223_124334_982_zps7dc936eb.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn82/awanderlust/IMG_20131223_124341_713_zps413e80ed.jpg

And, Illinois WMs are concerned about employees carrying!

The Wal Mart in Vernon Hills doesn't even sell ammunition, it's not a town issue, there is a Dick's right down the street that sells long guns and ammo.

If they apply to employees they need to be near the time clock or break room. I still think putting that at the entrances is absolutely stupid. Advertise to the public "we have disarmed our employees for your convenience."

Not to mention, the whole CPZ signs are stupid in general.

The sign address vendors also, I'm thinking possibly the bread delivery person, or Mr. Pepsi or Mr. Coke? This is just a guess, if I'm wrong, please use low flame.

If they apply to employees they need to be near the time clock or break room. I still think putting that at the entrances is absolutely stupid. Advertise to the public "we have disarmed our employees for your convenience."

Not to mention, the whole CPZ signs are stupid in general.

I agree.

However vendors, merchandisers and drivers making deliveries don't go anywhere near the time clock or break room. For employees, this should have been covered in some sort of internal communication. I really believe these signs are just clarifying things for people who do not directly work for Walmart, but are there doing work in some other capacity. (larryxtx beat me to it)

I don't agree with their policy in the least bit, but I do think this is being over thought an blown way out of proportion.

pick corporate experiance

https://corporate.walmart.com/contact-us/store-corporate-feedback

Your store on North Allen road has signs prohibiting concealed carry by lawful permit holders at all entrances. They attempted to modify the signs to only cover Walmart employees and vendors.

I do not believe the State of IL allows Walmart to modify the law in this way and if I was legally carrying in Walmart and a customer noticed and called police I believe I would be arrested for violating IL law.

Sadly I will not shop Walmart until the signs are removed

In addition as an Illinois State Concealed Carry instructor I will advise my students of the risk of arrest should they choose to shop Walmart while legally carrying.

pick corporate experiance

https://corporate.walmart.com/contact-us/store-corporate-feedback

Your store on North Allen road has signs prohibiting concealed carry by lawful permit holders at all entrances. They attempted to modify the signs to only cover Walmart employees and vendors.

I do not believe the State of IL allows Walmart to modify the law in this way and if I was legally carrying in Walmart and a customer noticed and called police I believe I would be arrested for violating IL law.

Sadly I will not shop Walmart until the signs are removed

In addition as an Illinois State Concealed Carry instructor I will advise my students of the risk of arrest should they choose to shop Walmart while legally carrying.

Sign went up last night or this morning at Walmart on Randall Road in Algonquin. Had a nice discussion with manager about the confusion caused by the sign and informed her that i would not be shopping at her store again until the signs come down. She indicated that there has been quite a bit of discussion among the managers about the sign and it appeared I was not the first to discuss it.

Also sent email to corporate.

Dave

Because this is all new to Illinois. After a while I would bet that the signs will disappear.

I would guess that this is a Walmart policy company wide in every state, they are probably putting the signs up here to clarify the policy on it.

So then why didn't Walmart put up any signs when our neighbor to the north, Wisconsin, passes their concealed carry bill just several years ago?

What makes IL different than WI, in the eyes of Walmart?

On that regard, how come walmart didn't put up signs when Missouri passed the concealed carry law several years before WI, what about Ohio, when they passed their concealed carry law about the same time as Missouri?

Archived