Digital signatures - anybody gotten IE11 to work?

Hap

I got a digital ID today but had to downgrade from IE11 to IE10 to get the state's site to work. The state help line person said that it should work with IE11 as long as I had the latest version of Java, which I did, so the path of least resistance was to drop back to IE10. If anyone has had any success with IE11 and has any suggestions that might benefit other readers, please post!

So you have to have Java? I got rid of that a while back because of security issues.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I don't know whether you have to have it. The precise statement from the help line was that I should make sure I had the latest version of Java before trying to get an ID with IE11 (and that if I did, IE11 might work). A reasonable inference is that Java is required, but she didn't say exactly that. Yes, it is a little odd to require Java, but we're dealing with a state that suggests you use a computer at a public library if you only have Macs at home, so security is clearly not their highest priority.

One way to downgrade IE is to open IE, press F12, and in IE 11, there is an icon at the bottom of the black bar on the left that looks like a screen and a phone. Click it, and then change 'Document Mode' to IE 10 or the version of your choice.

There is a similar tool in IE 8, 9, and 10 (they move it around every version).

I got mine yesterday and they told me to use IE8 ONLY as anything above or below does not work. In fact I was using IE5 (don't ask, I had to dust off the Windows crap machine) and spend a couple of hours upgrading the machine before I could get everything to work.

I was pleasantly surprised at the responsiveness of the help desk. My machine crashed leaving my ID in a strange state and the help desk fixed it within minutes. Very nice. Kudos to the State IT group.

Once everything was clear it was a quick thing to get the Digital ID.

Below is what they said in an email.

• Please use the below web site to re-register again.
  • Please use Internet Explorer 8 or below.
  • Internet Explorer 9, 10, Google Chrome, and Firefox do not work on the http://www.illinois.gov/pki website.

When I attended the ISRA town hall over the summer about CCW, there were a LOT of older folks in attendance. I can almost guarantee a large number of them would have difficulty figuring out how to get the digital signature thingy to work.

Would it be a bad idea if I submitted my comments to the ISP just on the tech issues? Including the one about libraries generally not allowing CDs, flash drives, etc., for the required attachments?

Unknown at this point. Molly is working on this issue with the State.

There are other ways to handle this from the state level. When Illinois electronic tax returns first started, you got a code from the state either sent to you from the state or by requesting one by phone. Once you verified your last years income, you were good to go.

On the FCCL, Illinois could do the same thing if they desired. After all, you already have your DL, FOID, tax return, etc information to prove you are who you say you are. I think they are just making this overly complicated.

Archived