Wideners Reloading and Shooting Supply: DEAD TO ME

Bud

It has been my habit since the last great run on supplies to make an effort to stock up whenever I have a couple of extra bucks. Ammo or magazines specifically.

I have bought a lot of stuff over the years from Wideners Reloading and Shooting Supply because they have really great prices. This year, I have bought a Sig P6 pistol from them, extra 8 round magazines for the same pistool and this past summer i bought a bunch of Glock 9mm 17 round magazines for @23.00 each, a really good price. They also stock the Korean made Glock magazines for only $15.00 each and I have several of them and they all perform as well as the Glock factory origoinals.

So, Saturday i ordered three more 15 round Glock Magazines. Last night, my debit card was charged and i knew i would have them by next weekend.

Until I got an email from "Mary" who stated:

On Nov 11, 2013, at 11:38 AM, Mary <mary@wideners.com> wrote:

James we do not ship any mags over 10round to IL The order has been canceled.

If you have a class A high capacity license we can ship over 10 rounds please reorder

Thank you

Wideners

who said she didn't care if I had received them before that must have been a mistake because Cook County barred high cap magazines, Wideners had decided to ban the sale to the whole State

one moment" and transferred me to what apparently was a manager. He confirmed to me that Wideners would no longer sell "high capacity" mmagazines, that is, those holding more than ten rounds to anyone in Illinois and, get this, "he didn't care whether he was violating my 2A rights because it was company policy."

So, I will no longer do any business with them and I also told him that i would voice my discontent with every forum that I am subscribed too.

Dealing with restrictive laws is hard enough without having retailers make it any harder. I understand it is their right to refuse business but it is alsoi my right to whine about it.

If you would like to voice your own concerns to Wideners discrimination against Illinois residents, here's the contact info:

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 3009 CRS

Johnson City, TN 37602

Phone And Fax:

Toll Free Orderline: 1-800-615-3006

Telephone: 423-282-6786

Fax: 423-282-6651 (24 Hours/Day)

Most likely they drop ship and their supplier won't ship. At $23 a magazine by my math they are making $1.50 gross profit per magazine so it's not worth it for them to ship to their location and then ship to you. I sell 'em for $24.45 but they are never in stock and my distributor will not ship to cook county. http://chicagogunsmith.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=glock+9mm

Bud, thanks for the heads up was just considering ordering some some stuff from them, I guess I will shop around...

On that note I had a similar conversation with another company (HLF manufacturing) recently, for brevity this is an excerpt from their reply...

"We know this but with laws being so dynamic we cannot risk it."

As if the blanket ban for IL wasn't bad enough, they had to insult me even further by admitting they know the law but don't care...

Bud, thanks for the heads up was just considering ordering some some stuff from them, I guess I will shop around...

On that note I had a similar conversation with another company (HLF manufacturing) recently, for brevity this is an excerpt from their reply...

As if the blanket ban for IL wasn't bad enough, they had to insult me even further by admitting they know the law but don't care...

Seriously, they are going to make a buck or two on a magazine. Do you blame them NOT risking a ten thousand dollar legal battle over $2 gross profit?

Seriously, they are going to make a buck or two on a magazine. Do you blame them NOT risking a ten thousand dollar legal battle over $2 gross profit?

Yes, seriously if they desire to not be bothered with the trouble of selling to IL, I hold ZERO reservations in not giving any IL business to them... They have made it clear they don't desire my business so why on Earth would I feel bad or have reservations about choosing to not do business with them, especially since they have already stated they don't want it?

Yes, it's their right to make company policy just as it's my right to refuse to patronize them for that policy... Are you suggesting they are in the right and I'm in the wrong?

]Seriously, they are going to make a buck or two on a magazine. Do you blame them NOT risking a ten thousand dollar legal battle over $2 gross profit?

It is a buck or two.....but just from me.

There are 6,000 of us here, what if 10% no longer ever bought something from Wideners. What if I spread the same message to every forum that i am subscribed to? (and knowing that i have no real life other than trolling gun and survivalist forums)

Internet forums got the managing editor of Recoil magazine fired in just three days. Internet forums just got the managing editor and the technical editor of Guns and Ammo magazine fired in less than 24 hours.

members of this forum right here, Illinois Carry, stopped multiple attempts last January by the corrupt power brokers of Illinois to pass an assault weapon ban and a high capacity magazine ban. We did that, all by ourselves.

All of us need to realize that power that we now hold because of our common bonds in support of the Second Amendment and the Internet.

6,000 but I never heard of them until this very day. Even if everyone bought a mag from them, it still wouldn't pay for the legal fees if just ONE mag got used in a crime and they got sued for supplying dangerous evil magazines to a criminal about to turn his life around. Know what I mean? Risk vs Reward ration, the reward just isn't worth the risk. Plus like I said, it's probably out of their hands. Theyt probably use a drop shipper like everyone on the internet and are bound by the policies of their distributors.

Barking up Weidners tree may be the wrong tree to bark. Why not bark up the politicians and get all mag bans removed from the books to make it easy on the dealers like Weidners?

Barking up Weidners tree may be the wrong tree to bark. Why not bark up the politicians and get all mag bans removed from the books to make it easy on the dealers like Weidners?

we did, we have handgun preemption in Illinois. The Cook County law is in litigation and we'll that too.

Wideners is supporting anti-gun laws by making it harder for law abiding citizens to purchase legal to own firearm accessories. That makes them part and parcell of the anti-gun crusade.

Magazines are not serial numbered. Hoew would a magazine be identified as coming from Wideners be identified as being used in a crime? And why have that changed their policy now when we have one every single fight against firearm ownership that the anti-gunners have launched against us? This isn't Conneticutt, Colorado, New York, New Jersey or California, this is Illinois where we have b****-slapped the antigun politicians every time they have tried something

So if I refused to sell someone from Cook County a magazine because it was considered "high capacity", because my distributor refuses to send it to you because it is their policy not to send magazines to cook county, not my policy; you guys will start an internet riot and shut down my company as well? Then start the riot!

I understand your frustration. I often have to have magazines sent to a friends house who lives out of county and then go pick them up. For me there is no profit in magazines because after gas and time the buck I make per magazine gets eaten up.

You guys want to shut them down, go for it. Their price isn't so spectacular that you can't just take your money elsewhere and get the same deal elsewhere. I never understand when I am constantly reading these threads, plenty of vendors will sell to Illinois. Why not just patronize them?

Email sent. What jerks! I made it very clear and included my previous order numbers that they will no longer receive orders for 5,000 ss109 projectiles ever again. They didn't lose $2 on a mag. They lost a lot more profit than that with me alone. People order more than mags from them.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

]Seriously, they are going to make a buck or two on a magazine. Do you blame them NOT risking a ten thousand dollar legal battle over $2 gross profit?

It is a buck or two.....but just from me.

There are 6,000 of us here, what if 10% no longer ever bought something from Wideners. What if I spread the same message to every forum that i am subscribed to? (and knowing that i have no real life other than trolling gun and survivalist forums)

Internet forums got the managing editor of Recoil magazine fired in just three days. Internet forums just got the managing editor and the technical editor of Guns and Ammo magazine fired in less than 24 hours.

members of this forum right here, Illinois Carry, stopped multiple attempts last January by the corrupt power brokers of Illinois to pass an assault weapon ban and a high capacity magazine ban. We did that, all by ourselves.

All of us need to realize that power that we now hold because of our common bonds in support of the Second Amendment and the Internet.

+1

I came here to post the same thing. In my case it was a few cz-82 12 rd mags. I got the email for the canceled order from mary as well. I called today to ask why and the response was that they don't ship mags over ten rds to IL. I informed them that IL is not on their no ship list. She sat there and lied about it indeed being on the list even as I stared at the same page that only mentions CA, HI, Mass, Maryland, and Ny. I'll take my few hundred dollars of reloading shopping else where, they were my go to supplier for reloading components. I don't live in Crook county or Chicago. I posted my story on ARF under the IL home town forum.

I regret all the money that I have spent with them over the years. I even got my cz-82 from them using my c&r a few years ago. They shipped it with 2 12rd mags.

@Bud

They didn't mention anything in my email about "If you have a class A high capacity license we can ship over 10 rounds please reorder". They sent my email on friday. I wonder how they came to the conclusion that such a license exists here in IL.

I think you missed the part where he said:

I have bought a lot of stuff over the years from Wideners Reloading and Shooting Supply because they have really great prices. This year, I have bought a Sig P6 pistol from them, extra 8 round magazines for the same pistol and this past summer i bought a bunch of Glock 9mm 17 round magazines for @23.00 each, a really good price. They also stock the Korean made Glock magazines for only $15.00 each and I have several of them and they all perform as well as the Glock factory originals.

It's more than just a buck or two...

Again, if we don't stick together and get the word out, things will never change.

On Nov 11, 2013, at 11:38 AM, Mary <mary@wideners.com> wrote:

If you have a class A high capacity license we can ship over 10 rounds please reorder

Thank you

Wideners

That is a license issued by the State of Massachussetts...I have to wonder if the drones you spoke to know what the heck they are doing. If someone has direct contact info for the owner maybe contacting him directly might get some results.

we did, we have handgun preemption in Illinois. The Cook County law is in litigation and we'll that too.

Wideners is supporting anti-gun laws by making it harder for law abiding citizens to purchase legal to own firearm accessories. That makes them part and parcell of the anti-gun crusade.

Magazines are not serial numbered. Hoew would a magazine be identified as coming from Wideners be identified as being used in a crime? And why have that changed their policy now when we have one every single fight against firearm ownership that the anti-gunners have launched against us? This isn't Conneticutt, Colorado, New York, New Jersey or California, this is Illinois where we have b****-slapped the antigun politicians every time they have tried something

There are a number of people out there who think they are striking some kind of blow for gun rights by telling IL residents to FOAD and refusing to sell to them. You see them on ARFcom's EE all the time. Mostly they're from states like OH or MI where they think they're safe from the Antis.

Personally, I think that one of Princess Lisa's flying monkeys has a program going where they send threatening letters to dealers to discourage them from shipping to IL...there was a lot of that when Lisa decided you could only buy ammo in person and everybody cut us off....it was years after the law was fixed in '05 before most of them relented, some still haven't.

We are in a war with anti-gunners and they will use every dirty trick they can to move any kind of gun control ahead - even by the tiniest margin. In their minds any little bit helps. One incremental step at a time.

We need vendors who are in this with us.

If a vendor cancels all "high-cap mag" orders to Illinois, they've just handed anti-gunners a victory.

If a vendor isn't committed to figure this stuff out, they're too scared or too lazy - we really don't need them. We do need to support vendors who are actively engaged in this struggle with us.

Springfield Armory would not ship Chicago in July (right after the preemption) stating their lawyers would have to review the risk, but did ship to Chicago Heights after I sent them this.-- [ I just had a short ride to pick up my mag. ]

So yes, making them aware, does make a difference. -- One step at a time.--

We just need to make sure we keep pointing out to these sites that statutes like this, as well as State Preemption exist.

==========================================================================

Here is Chicago heights definition of an Assault Weapon (Basically a Machine Gun):

Sec. 14¾-30. Definitions.http://library.municode.com/images/hyperlink.png

As used in this article, the following terms shall have the following meaning:

Assault weapon: Any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot or can be readily restored to shoot automatically more than one shot without manual reloading by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

Here is Chicago Heights position on Cook County's gun laws ...

Sec. 14¾-2. Applicability.http://library.municode.com/images/hyperlink.png

(a)

It is intended that this chapter shall pre-empt all Cook County licensing or other regulatory schemes for firearms, firearms dealers and assault weapons. As provided in article VII, section 6© of the State of Illinois Constitution of 1970, if a county ordinance conflicts with an ordinance of a municipality, the municipal ordinance shall prevail within its jurisdiction.

(B)

It is specially intended that this chapter shall pre-empt the Cook County Firearms Dealer's License and Assault Weapons and Ammunition Ban Ordinance as now in effect or as may be hereafter amended.

©

Licenses issued pursuant to this chapter shall be issued separate and apart from any general business license issued by the City of Chicago Heights.

(Ord. No. 94-48, § 1 (14¾-2), 11-7-94)

Well I won't be buying from Wideners any more either. Real shame too, I've had good dealings with them in the past.

As for alerting them to the preempted handgun laws, I sent them that info right after the bill was passed.

6,000 but I never heard of them until this very day. Even if everyone bought a mag from them, it still wouldn't pay for the legal fees if just ONE mag got used in a crime and they got sued for supplying dangerous evil magazines to a criminal about to turn his life around. Know what I mean? Risk vs Reward ration, the reward just isn't worth the risk. Plus like I said, it's probably out of their hands. Theyt probably use a drop shipper like everyone on the internet and are bound by the policies of their distributors.

I'm still confused by your argument. If they know the law (and admit it) and follow it, there is NO risk.

i used to hear the phrase skin in the game lots a while back. i have quit subscribing to lots of gun magazines cause i didnt think they had enough skin in the game. there are, manufacturers, and other types of sales where they sell the stuff to make money off of the guns, but it ends there, i think some of these places other than just us firearms owners should put some skin in the game, not back off in fear of the antigun politicians all the time. im sorry im not more fluent with what i am trying to say. i do realize some are helping us in the fight, so i try to single them out for my dollars, what few i have. thanks for taking the time to read this.............jeff

It has been my habit since the last great run on supplies to make an effort to stock up whenever I have a couple of extra bucks. Ammo or magazines specifically.

I have bought a lot of stuff over the years from Wideners Reloading and Shooting Supply because they have really great prices. This year, I have bought a Sig P6 pistol from them, extra 8 round magazines for the same pistool and this past summer i bought a bunch of Glock 9mm 17 round magazines for @23.00 each, a really good price. They also stock the Korean made Glock magazines for only $15.00 each and I have several of them and they all perform as well as the Glock factory origoinals.

So, Saturday i ordered three more 15 round Glock Magazines. Last night, my debit card was charged and i knew i would have them by next weekend.

On Nov 11, 2013, at 11:38 AM, Mary wrote:

Thank you

Wideners

who said she didn't care if I had received them before that must have been a mistake because Cook County barred high cap magazines, Wideners had decided to ban the sale to the whole State

one moment" and transferred me to what apparently was a manager. He confirmed to me that Wideners would no longer sell "high capacity" mmagazines, that is, those holding more than ten rounds to anyone in Illinois and, get this, "he didn't care whether he was violating my 2A rights because it was company policy."

So, I will no longer do any business with them and I also told him that i would voice my discontent with every forum that I am subscribed too.

Dealing with restrictive laws is hard enough without having retailers make it any harder. I understand it is their right to refuse business but it is alsoi my right to whine about it.

If you would like to voice your own concerns to Wideners discrimination against Illinois residents, here's the contact info:

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 3009 CRS

Johnson City, TN 37602

Phone And Fax:

Toll Free Orderline: 1-800-615-3006

Telephone: 423-282-6786

Fax: 423-282-6651 (24 Hours/Day)

Oh man, I've hated Wideners since long before this. I tried ordering stuff from them back before I lived in Illinois and it was the biggest PITA I've ever experienced.

Glad to hear they've improved.

who said she didn't care if I had received them before that must have been a mistake because Cook County illegally barred high cap magazines, Wideners had decided to ban the sale to the whole State

Fixed. If they decide to be ignorant of our laws, they don't need my business. Same with Bud's as well. Disappointing to blacklist these stores, but if they decide not to do business with us properly, they don't need my business.

who said she didn't care if I had received them before that must have been a mistake because Cook County illegally barred high cap magazines, Wideners had decided to ban the sale to the whole State

Fixed. If they decide to be ignorant of our laws, they don't need my business. Same with Bud's as well. Disappointing to blacklist these stores, but if they decide not to do business with us properly, they don't need my business.

I wasn't aware Bud's had any issues with Illinois. They have a pretty clear set of guidelines that they follow for Cook County. They haven't updated in a while, but I haven't had issues with them lately. Did something change?

They won't even make an exemption for law enforcement in Chicago, including with department letterhead. That's definitely a plus in my book.

Archived