POSTED! - NO CARRY Signs

mauserme

Is the Volo antique auto museum considered to be a real museum? What identifies a museum, is it just using the word museum? If that's the case, I think that businesses that want to ban guns should just add museum to their name and we can get rid of those stupid signs. Welcome to the Walmart museum store, would you like fries with that?

• 2 weeks later...

The Jewel food store on Galena in Aurora has a sign saying "no guns allowed for employees and vendors on duty" So after attending the ISRA grassroots meeting last night I thought it would be nice to "thank" the manager of the store. She was very polite and asked how she could help. I proceeded to give her a nice smile and a "thank you" for the gun sign that was posted. She immediately got defensive and said she didn't like guns and didn't want to get robbed and started walking into her office. She then looked at me and said "I bet you carry one don't you". I once again said "thank you" and smiled as I walked out.

I read in some statute that the definition of a museum included having paid employees. A club I belong to has a museum but we are all volunteers. So are we a museum or not?

Eugene

Is the club under control of the museum, or is the museum under control of the club?

(21) Any building, real property, or parking area under the control of a zoo or museum.

I read in some statute that the definition of a museum included having paid employees. A club I belong to has a museum but we are all volunteers. So are we a museum or not?

Eugene

Is the club under control of the museum, or is the museum under control of the club?

(21) Any building, real property, or parking area under the control of a zoo or museum.

The club owns the museum. The museum board and club board are all volunteers.

Eugene

• 2 weeks later...

Shopping centers can have confusing or deceptive policies. Stratford Square Mall in Bloomingdale, IL is a large bi-level enclosed mall surrounded by a large bi-level parking lot. There are 4 large national or regional department stores (anchor stores), each with its own entrances onto the parking lot, as well as entrances to the enclosed general mall area containing numerous other stores and venues which only have customer entrances to the mall and not to the parking lot. There are also parking lot entrances to the main mall area.

The main mall entrances from the parking lot have legally defined No-Gun signs. They are not on the large quad-set of doors, but on the glass panels to the extreme sides of the entryways. They can be easily missed by someone focusing on a door. None of the parking lot entrances to the large department stores have any gun signage, nor are there any such signs on the mall side of these stores. One can enter through any of the anchor stores and then into the general mall area, and never see a no-gun sign. Yet once inside the main mall area one could be subject to the No-Gun signs at the mall entrances that one never even passed; kind of a legal ambush.

Do we complain to mall management, to the management of the anchor stores, or to the national offices of the anchors? The anchors are Sears, Kohls, Carsons, and Macys.

Shopping centers can have confusing or deceptive policies. Stratford Square Mall in Bloomingdale, IL is a large bi-level enclosed mall surrounded by a large bi-level parking lot. There are 4 large national or regional department stores (anchor stores), each with its own entrances onto the parking lot, as well as entrances to the enclosed general mall area containing numerous other stores and venues which only have customer entrances to the mall and not to the parking lot. There are also parking lot entrances to the main mall area.

The main mall entrances from the parking lot have legally defined No-Gun signs. They are not on the large quad-set of doors, but on the glass panels to the extreme sides of the entryways. They can be easily missed by someone focusing on a door. None of the parking lot entrances to the large department stores have any gun signage, nor are there any such signs on the mall side of these stores. One can enter through any of the anchor stores and then into the general mall area, and never see a no-gun sign. Yet once inside the main mall area one could be subject to the No-Gun signs at the mall entrances that one never even passed; kind of a legal ambush.

Do we complain to mall management, to the management of the anchor stores, or to the national offices of the anchors? The anchors are Sears, Kohls, Carsons, and Macys.

personally, I would leave it alone to give some other CCW person plausible deniability if they get found. "The signs weren't conspicuous as mandated by law."

personally, I would leave it alone to give some other CCW person plausible deniability if they get found. "The signs weren't conspicuous as mandated by law."

Exactly. It's not our job to tell them how to be compliant. That would be like handing out proper no guns signs to all the places who made their own.

Stratford Square Mall in Bloomingdale, IL is a large bi-level enclosed mall surrounded by a large bi-level parking lot. ...

The main mall entrances from the parking lot have legally defined No-Gun signs.

Complain to mall management:

Phone: 630-539-1000

Feedback Form: http://www.stratfordmall.com/info/contact_general.html

General Manager: Douglas Kiehn - dkiehn@streetmac.net

Operations Manager: Kristine Vlasnik - kvlasnik@streetmac.net

If you have time, contact at all of the above methods and also stop by their security office to complain in person. (vestibule on the lower level right after the food court; across from the restrooms.)

Thread about it: http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=55908

But please do not talk to them about the absent signs on the anchor stores. The way they've set it up, you would likely be completely legal within any of the anchor stores, and very possibly legal (although it's a bit of a gray area) when in the mall itself coming from the anchor stores. (IANAL) Instead, please just complain that they put the signs up, and let them know they're losing your business!

• 2 weeks later...

Yea I'm REALLY shocked to hear that about Stratford, they're pretty much dead as it was so - oh well, one less place I know I'll be found. Although I must say, if it's not 100% legal posting you'd most likely "get out of it". Yet on the same token you do "know about it" as evidenced by your posts here, so. Not sure based on that... Like a scenario I was recently in, I'm not even going into detail because I want that plausible deniability but, there was a place I went in to, casually checking for signage on the way in. I did not see any so I continued inside. I conducted my business, everything went as normal. On the way OUT I actually noticed a LEGAL sign "cleverly" placed on ONE of the doors in the far corner, and it was also pretty LOW (toward the ground) among a pretty long length of a series of doors. My first thought was "crap, if anyone found out I was carrying I'd be guilty of a class B". Then I was like "pfft, THEY'RE actually not in compliance with law because they didn't have it posted CLEARLY and ON EVERY ENTRANCE" so I knew that had anything came of it - I was almost sure any responding officer would probably feel the same. Needless to say they're not getting my business any longer! To an extent I do feel that, as long as they continue to "skirt around" how they're SUPPOSED to post, I or anyone else could still walk in there while "strapped" and "get out of it" since it's not a 100% legit posting, but I do have morals. And my morals are to NOT give ANY business my money if they don't respect my right to defend myself! I'd rather contact them to let them know WHY they're losing my business in hopes that they revise said policy!

Another Anti-Gun Business

Grand Appliance and TV

here's contact info http://www.grandapplianceandtv.com/en/contactus

They have many stores in IL WI and IN

I found them posted in Zion IL

I was a long time customer but never again

wow...that stinks. Most of our major appliances were purchased at the Libertyville location. Guess we will be buying elsewhere next time. :no:

Louis Joliet Mall used to have the correct no gun signs albeit hidden on the far reaches of the inner doors at the bottom. I was just there and now they have a sign that looks correct but is far greater in size than my reading of the law ( about 8" x 10" ) on the wall inside the vestibule. Am I correct in thinking that this means the mall is no longer legally posted and the most they could do would be to trespass you out?

Louis Joliet Mall used to have the correct no gun signs albeit hidden on the far reaches of the inner doors at the bottom. I was just there and now they have a sign that looks correct but is far greater in size than my reading of the law ( about 8" x 10" ) on the wall inside the vestibule. Am I correct in thinking that this means the mall is no longer legally posted and the most they could do would be to trespass you out?

Having a sign in the vestibule at 90 degrees from the doors is not by any means conspicuous at any size. I never look at the garbage posted in the vestibule.

IMO it's posted. Whether "legally" (e.g. conspicuously and correctly) is an open question. Maybe not. But "you pay your money and you take your chances" if carrying. If the sign is the correct sign, but just too large, I personally I wouldn't try it. But everyone has their own risk tolerances...

By any chance, did the clean up bill sent to the governor last week include any clarifying language for the signage requirement?

While the rules say the sign can be larger, and I have no problem with this, the law says it *shall* be 4" x 6", and some people really want to stick to their guns (heh) on this one.

How do we get a place off the list? I was searching for nearby places to my house and the Mariano's on New York Street in Aurora popped up. It was just added by, someone in the last few weeks. I go there all the time and never noticed, so I thought maybe it was newly posted. I went again today and looked up and down the doors and saw nothing. I even took several pictures of the doors to make sure I didn't miss it. Nothing. I don't know why someone would list a place that is definitely not posted.

How do we get a place off the list? I was searching for nearby places to my house and the Mariano's on New York Street in Aurora popped up. It was just added by, someone in the last few weeks. I go there all the time and never noticed, so I thought maybe it was newly posted. I went again today and looked up and down the doors and saw nothing. I even took several pictures of the doors to make sure I didn't miss it. Nothing. I don't know why someone would list a place that is definitely not posted.

I have removed Mariano's Aurora. There are a few ways to remove a place which is no longer posted

1. On the iPhone / Android / Kindle app, click "Remove from List" in lower right hand corner. Type in a comment and submit.

2. If you don't have the app, you can ask anyone on this forum or elsewhere who has the app to remove it per the above manner

3. You can PM or email me. I am the admin, and can remove or modify any listings. The email address is linked to from the List page. But PM works too.

I have removed Mariano's Aurora. There are a few ways to remove a place which is no longer posted

1. On the iPhone / Android / Kindle app, click "Remove from List" in lower right hand corner. Type in a comment and submit.

2. If you don't have the app, you can ask anyone on this forum or elsewhere who has the app to remove it per the above manner

3. You can PM or email me. I am the admin, and can remove or modify any listings. The email address is linked to from the List page. But PM works too.

thanks. I don't have the phone app. It just bugs me that someone would list a place that's not posted. I assume that they have seen Chicago Mariano's locations posted, so they added Aurora without checking. I have pictures of the doors if anyone doubts me.

thanks. I don't have the phone app. It just bugs me that someone would list a place that's not posted. I assume that they have seen Chicago Mariano's locations posted, so they added Aurora without checking. I have pictures of the doors if anyone doubts me.

I believe you. :) Sometimes mistakes happen. And it's also possible that they were posted at one point, but took the signs down. This seems to be frequent: Local police or other group will send out anti-gun signs, and businesses will put them up without thinking in a knee-jerk reaction. After thoughtful discussion, many take them down.

I'm with you, too. I was there last Friday evening, and checked the place out myself. Nary a sign to be seen.

Bri

I believe you. :) Sometimes mistakes happen. And it's also possible that they were posted at one point, but took the signs down. This seems to be frequent: Local police or other group will send out anti-gun signs, and businesses will put them up without thinking in a knee-jerk reaction. After thoughtful discussion, many take them down.

The store was never posted since it opened last August. Whoever added it only did so in the last few weeks. I doubt stickers went up and came down within 2 weeks.

Another Anti-Gun Business

Grand Appliance and TV

here's contact info http://www.grandapplianceandtv.com/en/contactus

They have many stores in IL WI and IN

I found them posted in Zion IL

I was a long time customer but never again

wow...that stinks. Most of our major appliances were purchased at the Libertyville location. Guess we will be buying elsewhere next time. :no:

I found a gun friendly Appliance store, Check out Lucy's in Zion

I got a better price than Grand was offering

They even have a couple Military C&R rifles on display and some other stuff

Archived