POSTED! - NO CARRY Signs

mauserme

Within the last week or so my office building in Chicago (20 N Clark, NW corner of Clark/Madison) posted the no guns sign. It's not posted on the rotating doors most folks use, but rather it's on the secondary door used for when folks are using carts, in a wheelchair, etc. For whatever reason I can't upload a photo I took of door so here's a link on Box to see it: https://gsscreative.box.com/v/posted

Maybe it was posted by an unauthorized person. Have you check with your managing agent?

Asked building front desk person about it... she said it was building management who posted it. I can't carry anyway because I commute via train but still makes me not happy that all these yahoos think a 4x6 sticker will automatically shield them from bad actors.

You're not getting it. YOU (The gun loving nut to them), ARE the bad actor they are trying to protect themselves from. They believe that John Wayne types have a higher likelihood to do more harm than actual bad guys. Sorry, that is the reality.

DomG is 100% correct. One of my daughters is quite anti-gun. She is not a dummy, and openly admits that a posting will not stop a bad guy from committing his crime and mayhem, but she thinks it far more likely some yahoo with a concealed carry license will be at the location, get into an argument with someone and start shooting, or will be fiddling with his gun and accidentally discharge the gun, or any number of other highly unlikely scenarios. She worries that her children might someday fall victim to a shooting by a concealed carrier but naively thinks that because she lives in a nice area, and her kids go to good schools, that they do not have to seriously worry about criminals with gun, only about the rest of us with guns.

DomG is 100% correct. One of my daughters is quite anti-gun. She is not a dummy, and openly admits that a posting will not stop a bad guy from committing his crime and mayhem, but she thinks it far more likely some yahoo with a concealed carry license will be at the location, get into an argument with someone and start shooting, or will be fiddling with his gun and accidentally discharge the gun, or any number of other highly unlikely scenarios. She worries that her children might someday fall victim to a shooting by a concealed carrier but naively thinks that because she lives in a nice area, and her kids go to good schools, that they do not have to seriously worry about criminals with gun, only about the rest of us with guns.

$ And your daughter is so correct. Proof that there's blood in the streets everywhere. It's the wild wild West out there.$

$ And your daughter is so correct. Proof that there's blood in the streets everywhere. It's the wild wild West out there.$

That's the point. Irrational fears is the key motivator for them hating US. We are the real threat to them. 1000X more than a real criminal. Sad, but true.

100% correct, Vito. The no gun signs protect them from US, because they believe WE will flip and shoot someone who bumps into us, OR shoot innocent bystanders if a real criminal appears. The fact that it doesn't happen makes no difference to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Vito's and DomG's comments gave me some "food for thought", particularly the "fear" part.

Many of you have probably heard this before but it is good to keep in mind. When people are afraid enough, they frequently become panicky. It's at this point that their brains go into overload, switching between multiple scenarios to the point that they can no longer think coherently. Fear can make people think irrationally, act irrationally, talk irrationally. And so many of the "antis" are driven by their fear that they become irrational and discussing almost anything (or arguing) with an "irrational person" is a waste of time and energy.

*chuckling* I just remembered a line from the movie "Dune" where Kyle MacLachlin had his hand in the box that induced pain. One of the mantras he kept repeating is "Fear is the mind-killer" which was part of the training his mother had been giving him. Worth remembering.

So let me get this straight. The anti logic is that a concealed carrier would break the law by getting into an argument and shooting someone, but they wouldn't break the law by ignoring a sign. That's laughable!

Why would you expect logic from anti-gun people who operate on strictly an emotional basis? Think of the IL politicians who fought concealed carry to the bitter end, saying it would cause a "Wild West environment" despite the reality that in every other state of the nation this did NOT happen. Emotion overrides logic and reason every time.

So let me get this straight. The anti logic is that a concealed carrier would break the law by getting into an argument and shooting someone, but they wouldn't break the law by ignoring a sign. That's laughable!

The sign makes them "feel" safe. And it's not necessarily a belief that we would get into a fight and shoot someone, (although that is the thought of some of them). I've had people say that if there was an armed criminal they would be worried that we would be introducing another gun into the situation and could possibly accidentally shoot an innocent bystander in the crossfire, because we think we're John Wayne.

garibaldis in Arlington heights is posted.

They sell booze but they are not a bar, i can't imagine it is even 5% of their revenue.

Really disappointing, i used to go there all the time when i was younger, even drove way out of the way to go there today. Had my wife with me who was already pist so I couldn't go in to speak with anyone. However they have a contact form on their website should some of you wish to help me let them know the business they have lost

Ironically gun owners going to gun free zones are likely to fiddle with their guns while disarming since they are legally required to disarm due to the wording of the FCCA.

Within the last week or so my office building in Chicago (20 N Clark, NW corner of Clark/Madison) posted the no guns sign. It's not posted on the rotating doors most folks use, but rather it's on the secondary door used for when folks are using carts, in a wheelchair, etc. For whatever reason I can't upload a photo I took of door so here's a link on Box to see it: https://gsscreative.box.com/v/posted

Considering that the only door posted is the handicapped accessible door it may constitute discrimination against disabled in violation of state and federal discrimination law since by your own admission the door for the able bodied is not posted in any way.

• 1 month later...

Sugar Fixe (read: overpriced French bakery) in Oak Park used to be an occasional stop for the family because it was one of a few places not posted in this retard town. Guess what? They are now posted. No big loss as their choice in new hires has made quality control and service go downhill in my book. Oak Park Bakery is still not posted and is my go to joint for sweets. Bought my kid's birthday cake there recently.

Most of won't care but for the other two people here that might pass through OP, it's an FYI as I previously listed Sugar Fixe as an option for us concealed carriers.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but I stopped at the Comcast/Xfinity store in Joliet by the Louis Joliet mall. The GFZ sign was posted on the door at the entrance.

I had to go in but I did share my opinion with the employee that waited on me on how stupid those signs are.

I was told that it is a corporate policy. Does anyone know if this is true or not.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but I stopped at the Comcast/Xfinity store in Joliet by the Louis Joliet mall. The GFZ sign was posted on the door at the entrance.

I had to go in but I did share my opinion with the employee that waited on me on how stupid those signs are.

I was told that it is a corporate policy. Does anyone know if this is true or not.

The one over off Essington Rd. isn't posted, I've been in there a few times to get upgraded equip!

Edit: I think the cross street is theadore maybe?

The one over off Essington Rd. isn't posted, I've been in there a few times to get upgraded equip!

That one is closed now that they moved by the mall.

I've heard about a number of their locations being posted so I believe that it is company policy.

Not sure if I've read a post about it here before but is there a pro conceal carry sticker or card we can hand out to business owners with a no guns sticker on their door??? If so lead me to it. Quite often I find myself walking into restaurants with no gun signs on the door but I only notice the signs when I'm walking out. But I would like to give them a facts card type of thing to inform them why law abiding ccl holders should be allowed on their premises.

Not sure if I've read a post about it here before but is there a pro conceal carry sticker or card we can hand out to business owners with a no guns sticker on their door??? If so lead me to it. Quite often I find myself walking into restaurants with no gun signs on the door but I only notice the signs when I'm walking out. But I would like to give them a facts card type of thing to inform them why law abiding ccl holders should be allowed on their premises.

Did you look here there's a whole forum about the cards?

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38212

Did you look here there's a whole forum about the cards?http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38212

I thought there was something here. Thanks for the link.

That one is closed now that they moved by the mall.

I've heard about a number of their locations being posted so I believe that it is company policy.

I was at the Bloomington/Normal store a few months ago and it wasn't posted. Was there yesterday and it was. Good thing I was there to turn-in my equipment after disconnecting my service with them.

My wife and I went to Kay Jewelers in Peru yesterday, and as we were walking up to the door she said "you need to got back to the car and put your gun away." I was confused and said I didn't see a sign or anything, she pointed to some words screened onto the glass saying "No person shall..." don't remember the exact words but prohibiting carry basically. I told her it wasn't legally binding and I had no obligation to, so we went in like normal. Got to educate my wife in state law afterwards, haha.

Went to the SEARS at the mall in town too, which IS posted, and had to disarm. When we got out to the car, I got in and rearmed as subtly as possible IN the car, but apparently a guy in a van a few cars over saw and was eyeballing me, wife said he clearly saw me as she saw him react and look concerned, but nothing happened and everyone went about their day.

Kinda reinforced in my mind the fact that having a long list of prohibited places and stores posting creates more potential for issues.

Mentioned in another thread how I was sitting in a bank with empty holsters when it got robbed. When we were allowed to leave the bank president came with me to my van to see what I was putting back in my holsters. So with the squad car and crime scene tape blocking the entrance I was rearming while the curious banker got to see what was in the "stow and go" that went back into the holsters.

I'm thinking many employees know the value of the signs.

My wife and I went to Kay Jewelers in Peru yesterday, and as we were walking up to the door she said "you need to got back to the car and put your gun away." I was confused and said I didn't see a sign or anything, she pointed to some words screened onto the glass saying "No person shall..." don't remember the exact words but prohibiting carry basically. I told her it wasn't legally binding and I had no obligation to, so we went in like normal. Got to educate my wife in state law afterwards, haha.

Went to the SEARS at the mall in town too, which IS posted, and had to disarm. When we got out to the car, I got in and rearmed as subtly as possible IN the car, but apparently a guy in a van a few cars over saw and was eyeballing me, wife said he clearly saw me as she saw him react and look concerned, but nothing happened and everyone went about their day.

Kinda reinforced in my mind the fact that having a long list of prohibited places and stores posting creates more potential for issues.

Was the entrance to the Sears store posted? Several of us have reported on many threads that it is common for the general entrances of large malls to be posted, but the entrances to anchor stores like Sears are not posted. General consensus seems to be that you could enter the un-posted anchor store while CCing without violating the law. Going from there into the general shopping area of the mall is seems to be an even greyer practice. All of this is conjecture on our part and not confirmed by any legal authority.

Was the entrance to the Sears store posted? Several of us have reported on many threads that it is common for the general entrances of large malls to be posted, but the entrances to anchor stores like Sears are not posted. General consensus seems to be that you could enter the un-posted anchor store while CCing without violating the law. Going from there into the general shopping area of the mall is seems to be an even greyer practice. All of this is conjecture on our part and not confirmed by any legal authority.

On the Posted app it shows the Peru mall as posted at all entrances.

This issue seems to come up frequently on this forum, and the answer given most often matches what I have encountered throughout IL, i.e., where the common area entrances are posted but not the individual stores that have their own external entrances, but also allow direct access from that store into the common areas of the mall. I always enter through a direct, unposted, store entrance. I have never had an issue, but of course I have never had to draw or use my gun at a mall. Are there any KNOWN cases of even an arrest, let alone a conviction of a licensed concealed carrier for entering a mall through an unposted entrance? If there is, I have not heard or read about it. Be prepared to protect yourself, and stop worrying about the nuances of this murky situation, or leave your gun at home and know that you are totally legal at all times. Your choice.

Now that you mention it, it wasn't. I noticed it at the time, figured it had to do with them closing and taking crap down, but didn't want to risk issues considering the rest of the mall is. I thought I remembered seeing it posted in the past, but the specific door I went in wasn't.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived