Deerfield moves to ban 'Assault Weapons'

RockerXX

http://deerfield.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/mayor-pushes-assault-weapon-ban

Deerfield Mayor Harriet Rosenthal vowed at today’s Village Board of Trustees meeting the legislative body will vote on an assault weapons ban within the time frame allowed by the state’s conceal carry legislation passed by the Illinois General Assembly Friday.

“As a home rule community we can ban assault weapons,” Rosenthal said at the conclusion of today’s meeting. “We have until 10 days after the governor signs the bill. I want it to be put on the agenda for our next (June 17) meeting.”

Several trustees wanted to make sure an assault weapons ban would be put to a vote if Gov. Patrick Quinn signs the bill more than 10 days before the June 17 meeting. “Will we call a special meeting?” Trustee William Seiden said.

“Correct,” Rosenthal answered. “It’s on my radar.” Village Attorney Peter Colbentz said a special meeting of the Board can be scheduled with a 48-hour notice.

The legislation passed Friday by the Illinois General Assembly allows Chicago to keep its assault weapons ban and allows other home rule communities to pass the legislation prohibiting them before the state’s new provisions take effect, according to an article in the Huffington Post.

The Village would have to act within 10 days of the time Gov. Quinn signs the bill, according to Colbentz. Rosenthal made it clear she does not want to see assault weapons in Deerfield. “I cannot think of one reason to have assault weapons,” she said.

In other action, the Board approved a reports leading to the presentation of an ordinance at its next meeting to allow a healthy food restaurant at 789 Saunders Road and another allowing increased Sunday school capacity at Congregation B’nai Jehoshua Beth Elohim.

What morons... they could have done this at anytime, why now all of a sudden?

I knew this was going to happen, the state suggests that home rule communities have 10 days to enact AWBs, so of course, having lost on the issue of concealed carry, the liberals rush to enact AWBs where they otherwise wouldn't have.

It's the typical liberal "we have to do something" baloney that has piled up all these detrimental gun laws in the first place. Completely useless illogical symbolic posturing...

It looks like this is what the stalling is all about from Madigan and Quinn, to give them time to call all the home rule communities and tell them to pass their own assault weapons bans,.

Once again I ask, what has changed here? If a community wanted an assault weapon ban, what's been keeping them from having one all this time? Why would a 10 day deadline make a difference one way or another?

I have little doubt that there will be a small handful of community leaders that will take reactionary matters because of some arbitrary 10 day grace period, and in a few isolated cases, enough nuts might be in control of the community to get something passed. I would venture to say that any such community would likely have passed an AWB in the near future, regardless of the 10 day deadline. I highly doubt that the Madigan's or Quinn's input have anything to do it, and if CCW didn't pass, we'd be in the exact same boat regardless.

If the number of home rules passing a new AWB before the 10 day deadline is more than you can count on one hand, I would be very surprised.

It looks like this is what the stalling is all about from Madigan and Quinn, to give them time to call all the home rule communities and tell them to pass their own assault weapons bans,.

Once again I ask, what has changed here? If a community wanted an assault weapon ban, what's been keeping them from having one all this time? Why would a 10 day deadline make a difference one way or another?

I have little doubt that there will be a small handful of community leaders that will take reactionary matters because of some arbitrary 10 day grace period, and in a few isolated cases, enough nuts might be in control of the community to get something passed. I would venture to say that any such community would likely have passed an AWB in the near future, regardless of the 10 day deadline. I highly doubt that the Madigan's or Quinn's input have anything to do it, and if CCW didn't pass, we'd be in the exact same boat regardless.

If the number of home rules passing a new AWB before the 10 day deadline is more than you can count on one hand, I would be very surprised.

This is purely speculation, but outside of the few areas that currently have firearm restrictions, there are literally 100's, if not 1000's of other home rule communities where gun violence is rare to non-existent, and not something that they have ever considered to address.

Quinn, Madigan, and the rest of their goons may be sending out an APB to all of these communities alerting them of the new law, and how it's an "act now or never" issue to pass their own assault weapons ban, or (cue the spooky music) all kinds of horrible things will be coming to their communities by allowing those "scary black rifles".

They feel fearful because concealed carry has passed, they feel they have to do "something" so they pass this meaningless measure which does not affect carry in any way shape or form. It's really a symbolic gesture that they probably wouldn't have taken if somebody hadn't told them "here is something anti-gun that you can do - but you only have 10 days to do it"

it's like when Home Shopping Network says there are only 10 items left in stock and the sale is only going to last for the 15 minutes, and stupid people call in and buy the item - even though there is a whole warehouse full of the worthless things.

The mayor's Israeli counterparts know that it takes a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun. Deerfield's ban won't do anything to stop jihadists and Muslim extremists from obtaining or creating weapons, but the town's anti-gun attitude will certainly give future terrorists some confidence that they won't be met with resistance. I hope they never find out that signs do absolutely nothing to protect B’nai Jehoshua Beth Elohim synagogue.

Deerfield is really stepping up and resolving their crime problem. They had one murder in the last 13 years, the result of a love triangle gone wrong, and if they had banned assault gats and high-capacity-large-obtuse ammunition-feeding-clip-magazines , maybe the victim could have survived and thrown a stapler at her assailant when she stopped to reload.

I fully expect every liberal college town (which would be Carbondale down in our part of the state) to enact a ban while the legal window is open. It is what they do.

I'm not so sure about that, just look at the thread topic with the city of Deerfield. All of the lily white suburban areas filled with soccer moms are going to be freaking out screaming "Keep those evil guns away from my little Billy!"

Again, these local municipality bans will only affect long guns, not handguns, since we would have state wide preemption.

People living there should show up to these hearings and ask "how many crimes have been committed by so called assault weapons?"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

APB from Lisa and Quinn you can count on that and no carry signs for every business . They will be passing one out with every vote for me hand bill.

Just wait till you see the anti gun Illinois crew mobilizing sheeple going door to door with no carry signs for businesses . War never ends , it just goes through different phases . So the strife in Northern Ireland is over and done ?

Rosenthal made it clear she does not want to see assault weapons in Deerfield. “I cannot think of one reason to have assault weapons,” she said.

I am sure JPFO would beg to differ.

What is the reason to own anything ? Because you want to and because you can . Politics has evolved into running every aspect of other peoples lives as the only mission , other than stuffing your pockets with cash .

This is purely speculation, but outside of the few areas that currently have firearm restrictions, there are literally 100's, if not 1000's of other home rule communities where gun violence is rare to non-existent, and not something that they have ever considered to address.

Quinn, Madigan, and the rest of their goons may be sending out an APB to all of these communities alerting them of the new law, and how it's an "act now or never" issue to pass their own assault weapons ban, or (cue the spooky music) all kinds of horrible things will be coming to their communities by allowing those "scary black rifles".

As I have written elsewhere about the Governor delaying, nothing makes someone want to buy something more that when you tell them they can't have it. In this case, it's telling them the offer is for a limited time only. "Act now!" Sales 101

Again, these local municipality bans will only affect long guns, not handguns, since we would have state wide preemption.

People living there should show up to these hearings and ask "how many crimes have been committed by so called assault weapons?"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yep...we shall see how much those in affected areas up there get involved...jello is going to delay as long as he can

Here is an idea I would like to throw out for comment. As an attorney (i dont like to mention that unless it adds something to the explanation), I have generally found that when a client has a problem and want me to send one of those "threatening" letters, it is usually a waste of time. What has worked fairly well to get the attention of the other side however, is to prepare an actual complaint (most times simplified so only about an hour invested here) and send it with the note that this will be filed next week if situation not resolved. There is a psychological effect to seeing your name listed as a defendant on a lawsuit.

We could prepare a generic complaint for cities that are contemplating some AWB using the CT or other model, naming the mayor, counsel members, attorneys, etc by name, and letting them know that if a bill is passed, details will be filled in (regarding the actual wording of the bill when passed) and we intend to file this. Maybe a copy of the check from Chicago to the NRA for attorneys fees will accompany the transmittal so they can be prepared for the massive legal bills that will follow.

Maybe there can be some coordination with other AWB suits to streamline the process (all pretty similar arguments) and start getting these filed. Especially if they get another 30 days to do this type of thing ala Lisa's request. I am willing to put time into drafting, etc.

I think it may be time to take the offensive on this. Thoughts?

Here is an idea I would like to throw out for comment. As an attorney (i dont like to mention that unless it adds something to the explanation), I have generally found that when a client has a problem and want me to send one of those "threatening" letters, it is usually a waste of time. What has worked fairly well to get the attention of the other side however, is to prepare an actual complaint (most times simplified so only about an hour invested here) and send it with the note that this will be filed next week if situation not resolved. There is a psychological effect to seeing your name listed as a defendant on a lawsuit.

We could prepare a generic complaint for cities that are contemplating some AWB using the CT or other model, naming the mayor, counsel members, attorneys, etc by name, and letting them know that if a bill is passed, details will be filled in (regarding the actual wording of the bill when passed) and we intend to file this. Maybe a copy of the check from Chicago to the NRA for attorneys fees will accompany the transmittal so they can be prepared for the massive legal bills that will follow.

Maybe there can be some coordination with other AWB suits to streamline the process (all pretty similar arguments) and start getting these filed. Especially if they get another 30 days to do this type of thing ala Lisa's request. I am willing to put time into drafting, etc.

I think it may be time to take the offensive on this. Thoughts?

IMHO, I don't think it could hurt. Sends the message that we won't roll over, we're still prepared to fight for our 2A rights. A copy of the checks Chicago has had to write is a nice touch. In fact, I would bring poster size prints of them to the meeting, and ask the good people of Deerfield if they really want their property taxes jacked to pay for a losing battle. Just my 2¢, and what do I know?

What morons... they could have done this at anytime, why now all of a sudden?

I knew this was going to happen, the state suggests that home rule communities have 10 days to enact AWBs, so of course, having lost on the issue of concealed carry, the liberals rush to enact AWBs where they otherwise wouldn't have.

It's the typical liberal "we have to do something" baloney that has piled up all these detrimental gun laws in the first place. Completely useless illogical symbolic posturing...

Yup I awas figuring too, but they have about 40 days to make it happen with Lisa's petition for a 30 day stay.

Definetly hope to see GOLD hats at these meetings.

Archived