Ammo Shortage and Alert Thread

tom28

I was in the Cabela's in Hammond today and they had a lot of their private brand 9mm for $14.99 a box. This is brass cased. They also had some aluminum cased 9mm for about $12 a box. They had a lot of 7.62x39 but you are limited to 20 boxes. I did not see any .223

Rich

Stopped by Cabela's in Hoffman Estates this afternoon - they had American Eagle 223 for 9.99 per box of 20 rounds - limit of 10 boxes - when I left they still had 300 or more boxes left

Did you stroll by the 9mm section?

They did have 9mm in stock - think it was also American Eagle 9mm box of 50 for 15.99

Thanks. Heading there right now!

Don't give up on Walmart. I was just at the Buffalo grove location on lake cook road. I scored 2 yellow bulk packs of Remington UMC 9mm and a federal bulk pack of 22. The bulk pack was only 62 dollars or 250 rounds. The box of .22 was 21 dollars for 550. There was a wait of three guys behind me. And people were calling and asking about availability. Its still crazy out there. The boxes of PPU were picked up at my local Wally World in Zion.post-3860-135864577537.jpg

Has anyone seen 6.5 JAP at Cabelas or any other place around here? All of the online places are on backorder and it seems like Hornady and Norma are the only folks who make it. PCI seems to have stopped making it.

It's not like companies quit making ammo.

It's still being made.

I don't think it's the panic ammo buying that is driving the shortages now - I think it is the panic gun buying.

Once someone has gone out and purchased that black rifle, well now they have to shoot it of course and they need ammo to do that.

Eventually people are either going to run out of money or they'll become interested in other things and the ammo supply will return to normal levels.

Didn't they have the Winchester 9mm NATO ?

I think people shy away from it because it says that its not standard pressure, but almost every 9mm handgun is designed to fire NATO (Rohrbaugh recomends only std pressure 9mm). I don't know any full size nines that weren't designed to shhot NATO. Jimenez maybe?

It's still being made.

Full time quit making, no... But temporarily quit making for extended periods of time, yes...

Ammo companies have schedules and existing contracts to fulfill... From what I have been told many of the 'big' name ammo companies devote several months of the year to stockpiling civilian ammo based on projected sales estimates, and then they switch over to several months of dedicated military/government contract ammo production... If the projected estimates of stockpiled civilian ammo are not enough to sustain demand during the time they are producing military/government ammo there is indeed a potential for a shortage until they switch back over to civilian production... I believe that is what we are starting to see right now, ammo companies are NOT going to risk losing their huge government and military contracts, so in essence yes they will stop making civilian ammo for periods of the year and at the current rate of demand it will continue to cause shortages...

Didn't they have the Winchester 9mm NATO ?

I think people shy away from it because it says that its not standard pressure, but almost every 9mm handgun is designed to fire NATO (Rohrbaugh recomends only std pressure 9mm). I don't know any full size nines that weren't designed to shhot NATO. Jimenez maybe?

The shelves were bare like ol' Mother Hubbard's cupboard.

I may have said it in this thread but not sure. The engineer from Hornady that I spoke with last April told me they were 6 months behind then. They were in process of adding some production capabilities and were at Brownells career fair looking to hire gun guys that also had manufacturing experience.

I understand what the stores are doing by limiting purchases. But what happens if you signed up for a course, paid the money, perhaps made other reservations and then you can't buy enough ammo to take the class??

Boy, that would SUCK!!!

It does!!!!! I'm signed up for a Pat Mcnamara rifle course in May (I need 1200-1500 rounds of 5.56 and 200-400 rounds of 9mm), and a Mike Pannone pistol course in Waterman (1200-1500 rounds of 9mm). I have enough for both classes but it took more than a little effort. Natchez seemed to be the best place to get the ammo.

Finally, Kyle Defoor, Larry Vickers, and Magpul have all lowered their round counts for future classes. Not sure who else will follow this trend.

Matt

It's still being made.

Full time quit making, no... But temporarily quit making for extended periods of time, yes...

Ammo companies have schedules and existing contracts to fulfill... From what I have been told many of the 'big' name ammo companies devote several months of the year to stockpiling civilian ammo based on projected sales estimates, and then they switch over to several months of dedicated military/government contract ammo production... If the projected estimates of stockpiled civilian ammo are not enough to sustain demand during the time they are producing military/government ammo there is indeed a potential for a shortage until they switch back over to civilian production... I believe that is what we are starting to see right now, ammo companies are NOT going to risk losing their huge government and military contracts, so in essence yes they will stop making civilian ammo for periods of the year and at the current rate of demand it will continue to cause shortages...

This is accurate. The manufacturers work on an "annual projection" from the retailers. Once you've used your projection, it's tough for the retailer to get more. They go to the back of the line and must wait for productcion capacity to open. Of course, certain retailers will get perforential treatment and may receive priority in scheduling more.

They make more $$ on the military contracts and will continue to prioritize them.

I got lucky today at the Walmart in Crestwood and picked up 4 boxes of 100 round lugers. The guy there said that there's a 3 box limit but he let me buy 4 anyways. There were two people in front of me buying the same (2 boxes each), and one guy after me. I think after that guy, we bought the store out.

This walmart was sold out before. So, I learned today that they are imposing limits on ammo purchases but are still getting it in. Check the web pages and get to the store early.

Check the web pages and get to the store early.

There is no clear early time... When I was picking up ammo the other day at 9pm or so they were stocking the cabinet while I made my purchase... I have made almost all my purchases between 11pm and 3am when they are actively stocking inventory and have found inventory that time of night to be good, and it's dead in the store so no morning rush...

As I have said before - more people should simply CHILL (including many of the members on this forum and other gun forums). 9mm, .40, .45. and 22LR will be back. heck, manufacturers are already getting it back out to stores. Why do y'all think you need to hoard this type of ammo? Why go to Wal Mart 5 times a day? You should be more concerned with buying magazines than ammo at this point. Obama is trying to get background checks when you buy ammo - so what - it doesn't DECREASE the amount of ammo coming back onto the market.

Can anyone explain this to me? Why are you searching so much????

Here is one problem you may not have thought of. I shoot USPSA and pistol league. I reload for that but those supplies are in short supply also. I shoot 250 rounds a month minimum. I also teach classes that I supply the firearm and the ammo. 600 rounds or so of 22LR per class. Yes I can make them supply their own but if they can get it either that stops the classes and I also have some people who dont own firearms in class. Not everybody that is buying in large quantities is hoarding.

If anyone is looking for 9mm Luger, 7.62 Nagant revolver, or 7.62X39, Cabela's in Hammond has a good amount of these as of Saturday 1/26. They seemed to have quite a lot of the 9mm, must have just got a shipment in. Otherwise, those shelves were pretty well picked over, mostly a box here and there of really expensive stuff or else stuff in oddball sizes not commonly shot.

My apologies to all if I came across as smug or condensending about my feelings of recent ammo purchasing. I forget that this group, the group of people who would actually take the time to be a member on a weapons-focused forum aren't exactly the same as the ding-dongs who are buying up every piece of unfired brass they can find "just in case" the BATF attempt to take their guns.

Again, my sincere apologies.

However, comma, I will add that I am seeing these exact same ding-dongs joining another local forum and trying to sell their stuff at 2x or 3x of what it is worth. Sorry to say that, if your post count is below 10, and you are in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread of any gun forum - selling your stuff - I do not think you are a real gun-loving forum guy like most of you/us.

For what it's worth...

http://www.reddit.co...to_the_worried/

PSA: A note from an FFL Employee to the worried masses on firearms and ammo.

Gentlemen, a quick note here on the current status of ammunition and firearms. I have received some messages from names like Glock and Federal with regards to the current market:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AMMUNITION:

DO NOT OVERPAY! Federal Ammunition sent us a letter recently regarding the current shortages and hikes in ammunition. They have been gearing up production and state they will be caught up with/surpass current demand some time near mid February for nearly all popular calibers at standard, pre-market price. Other manufacturers are bound to follow suit.

TRY GOING FRANGIBLE! Frangible ammunition is a great substitute for Non-Frangible ammunition, especially on the range. It will cost more than pre-panic NF, but less than current market value. Try sbrammunition.com for examples of this ammunition.

FIREARMS:

KNOW WHAT YOUR NIB PISTOL/RIFLE COMES WITH! Several manufacturers have noted that greedy-a** dealers are taking magazines from NIB weapons and selling them separately or at extra charge. Glock recently sent us a note along the lines that it will strip distributing rights for any dealers who are caught doing this with their products. If you know something comes with 2 magazines and get 0-1, tell them you are going to contact the manufacturer and ask how many they come with.

TOOLING IS GOING TOWARD THE RIFLE PLATFORM! Sig Sauer has state that they are going to tone down the production of their pistols in favor of their rifles and AR-platforms. Many manufacturers are doing this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So don't panic, don't overpay, and be mindful of other peoples' greed. Just a little PSA for my fellow firearm owners and customers. Peace tovarisches!

I created this thread because I wanted to find ammo so I can shoot my gun. Now I'm planning to get a .45 caliber firearm because I could easily find range ammo for that. I want to shoot at least a 200-300 round every couple of weeks so I can get proficient at shooting. I just want to go out to the range and shoot. Then have a couple boxes of JHP for self defense purposes. Still unable to find any in 9mm 124gr JHP. I do have 25 round left of 124 +p but find that very unpleasant to shoot in the p938.

For what it's worth...

http://www.reddit.co...to_the_worried/

PSA: A note from an FFL Employee to the worried masses on firearms and ammo.

Gentlemen, a quick note here on the current status of ammunition and firearms. I have received some messages from names like Glock and Federal with regards to the current market:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AMMUNITION:

DO NOT OVERPAY! Federal Ammunition sent us a letter recently regarding the current shortages and hikes in ammunition. They have been gearing up production and state they will be caught up with/surpass current demand some time near mid February for nearly all popular calibers at standard, pre-market price. Other manufacturers are bound to follow suit.

TRY GOING FRANGIBLE! Frangible ammunition is a great substitute for Non-Frangible ammunition, especially on the range. It will cost more than pre-panic NF, but less than current market value. Try sbrammunition.com for examples of this ammunition.

FIREARMS:

KNOW WHAT YOUR NIB PISTOL/RIFLE COMES WITH! Several manufacturers have noted that greedy-a** dealers are taking magazines from NIB weapons and selling them separately or at extra charge. Glock recently sent us a note along the lines that it will strip distributing rights for any dealers who are caught doing this with their products. If you know something comes with 2 magazines and get 0-1, tell them you are going to contact the manufacturer and ask how many they come with.

TOOLING IS GOING TOWARD THE RIFLE PLATFORM! Sig Sauer has state that they are going to tone down the production of their pistols in favor of their rifles and AR-platforms. Many manufacturers are doing this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So don't panic, don't overpay, and be mindful of other peoples' greed. Just a little PSA for my fellow firearm owners and customers. Peace tovarisches!

Hope they catch up soon. Tired of driving around just to pick up a few boxes here and there.

Archived