Ammo Shortage and Alert Thread

tom28

Late to the ammo party? There will also be a storage party soon - actually its already been in progress. https://www.surplusc...sc&keyword=XA11

I've been eyeballing cans and they're selling at 20-50 cans a day. This place used to be pretty discrete but someone has found out they have cans.

So dont forget to keep your hard found ammo safe and dry. Also - amazon.com sells bulk desiccant. Otherwise you can collect packets from your shoe boxes, electronics, etc... Silica gel can be reactivated in an oven at ~200 degrees. Small packets will only take ~45 minutes, while very large ones can take hours. Alternatives to silica gel are popcorn and rice, which can be dehydrated the same way, and stored in a paper lunch sack inside the can. Using a small desiccant packet with your ammo can, in a cool/dry place, can extend your shelf life out beyond 100 years. Basically as long as your seal lasts - which people are still using stuff from ww2, even without silica packets.

Great advice. My advice - if I may - is to buy these cans either at a gun show, at a big box store (Cabelas) or at an Army surplus store. The ones listed above were cheap...$9/can (.50cal) but cost $13 EACH to ship within Illinois. Take a few hours and hit some different stores and you can find a good deal. If you are desperate - guess you can pay the shipping. Some of you in the Communist part of Chicago have no choice I guess.

Great advice. My advice - if I may - is to buy these cans either at a gun show, at a big box store (Cabelas) or at an Army surplus store. The ones listed above were cheap...$9/can (.50cal) but cost $13 EACH to ship within Illinois. Take a few hours and hit some different stores and you can find a good deal. If you are desperate - guess you can pay the shipping. Some of you in the Communist part of Chicago have no choice I guess.

The shipping will depend on your location, but is typically ~$20 for 6. I personally have purchased some of the nicer ones at gun shows for $5, but those days seem to be long gone :(

As far as online purchses go, that site is about as good as you can get. Again though, streakpi is right. If you can nab them for a good price at a local gunshow, do it.

ETA - as of 1/7/2013 - surpluscenter is sold out of 50 cal cans.

Just went to article II. Shot off another 150 flawless round through my sig P938. Even they are out of self defense 9mm ammo. Seem to have plenty of everything else though. Especially $24 for federal FMJ 115gr.

I sure hope they have plenty of that 9mm for $24. Hopefully people aren't willing to spend twice what it costs at other stores like Walmart.

As of 145pm on new years eve. There was a guy at the counter that bought up most of the 9mm they had.

Hmm... Is that at the "North Aurora" store? Looks familiar.

That's actually the Darien store but most of the southeastern Dupage walmarts have the same floor plan.

I didn't know the Darien store had ammo, that will save me some gas

A fair amount of defensive ammo at the Walmart on the east side of Rockford, .380 through .45, Fed and Win HP ammo. Quite a bit of FMJ paper punching ammo also.

No .223, but lots of everything else from 243 up to 300 mag.

I should have taken a pic, because the ammo cases were full up.

Wow. Just came back from mega sports and i am impressed. never seen such a wide selection of firearms. They must had every model kimber and Springfield. 45. Going to have to go back when i get more money :D

It looks like they just restocked on hornady critical duty so i grabbed a few boxes. Would have preferred some gold dots or federal hst but ill take what i can get. I was going to try it out on the range but it was closed :(

Gotta keep checking Walmart every day if you want to score there, they are getting shipments but it's erratic...

I went out today to the local Bass Pro (Gurnee) they were flat out of 9mm except for a few small packs of defensive rounds... Some misc stuff in other calibers but I didn't really inventory what they had as I was looking for 9mm...

Gurnee Walmart received 60 boxes of Winchester white box (50 count) 9mm today, and a few 100 count boxes as well... By 6pm when I was there they only had 7 boxes left, they are empty now... Nothing else much left on the shelf at Walmart in the popular calibers either, maybe a box or two of self defense in misc calibers, no .223...

• 2 weeks later...

American Eagle® Rifle Ammunition in 5.56 is available thru Cabela's online for 12.99 per 20

GAT has Wolf for $7.99 and Federal (generic white box) for $10.99

They also had plenty of tracer rounds sold in bulk ammo cans.

Yeah, I went there this weekend and grabbed 10 boxes of federal for that price. Their JHP are still pretty limited. They only had a few boxes of hornady critical duty and gold dots 124gr +p in 9mm. I'm looking for some gold dots regular 124 gr. Critical duty doesnt seem to feed well in my p938. first round will sometimes FTF and had to do a tap and rack for it to slide forward. Planning to send it back to sig but waiting till i can afford a second gun.

Just got back from Cabelas and On Target Range (both west of STL).

Holy crap - there is no hope. *I say with dramatics*

Showed up at Cabelas at 11am. Went directly to the ammo area. They had 9mm, 40, and 45 on a large center stand - but all three were of weird JHP or some odd and COSTLY variety other than good 'ole FMJ. There was not one box of normal FMJ ammo. None. There were almost no pistol and zero AR mags.

There were ZERO .223 FMJ rnds. There were ZERO .22LR rounds. There were 10/20rd boxes of 7.62 but I don't own an AK and no nothing about the rounds (or if they were a good deal).

It was slim pickings with long guns and popular handguns. The line at 11am was 15-20 people deep. By noon when I left it was 20-30 people deep looking at guns and at least a dozen buzzing over the ammo.

I bought three large plastic ammo cans ($14.99 each), some handgun range targets, and a Diet Pepsi. I don't need the ammo right now, so no stress for me. This was all about opportune pickings.

BREAK BREAK

Went to On Target range west of STL. It is a new store with very very very little stock. This isn't a Georgia sporting goods store - more of a local sales operation with a great range. There were ZERO Glocks/XDs/M&Ps, only one Sig, and a couple other pistols (that I didn't care about). They were OUT of 9mm, .40, .45, 22LR, and, of course .223. No mags either.

The only good news about my day trip is that I zeroed my new Colt 6920 (iron sights and a Primary Arms red dot) using Black Gun Industries reman .223 ammo. Shot about 200rds of the stuff with no issues (other than my wallet getting thinner). Oh well, I now have a zeroed weapon in my house - and 200rds down the barrel.

BTW- stopped by the O'Fallon, IL Wal-Mart to grab some eggs on the way home...there was no 9/40/45/22/223 ammo to be seen....but I did pick up the Die Hard trilogy on DVD!

Just went to article II. Shot off another 150 flawless round through my sig P938. Even they are out of self defense 9mm ammo. Seem to have plenty of everything else though. Especially $24 for federal FMJ 115gr.

Does article II also allow rifles and shotguns?

Yes, Article II allows centerfire/rimfire rifles....and slugs only for shotgun.

The Walmarts in my area used to have a decent stock of .40S&W and .380 and .357 for the last few weeks, but even that is gone now...

22lr, 9mm, .40, .45 or .223 forget about it unless you show up right when they get a box or two... And I have been checking between two Walmarts almost on a daily basis, the shelves are slowly emptying off even on the uncommon stuff now...

Cabelas in Hammond only had some Winchester 124gr NATO in 9mm and few other in 115 gr FMJ. They had 2 boxes of 20 round gold dot 124gr +p that is no doubt gone by now and nothing else for self defense. Everything else looked pretty slim as well. Forget about 223 ammo. I think I've probably spent a 100 bucks in gas driving around to these place the last few weeks.

Does article II also allow rifles and shotguns?

Yes, Article II allows centerfire/rimfire rifles....and slugs only for shotgun.

Yup, they allow rifles. Saw someone shooting a Winchester lever action the other day. Looked awesome.

I've made close to 10 stops this week at Wal Marts all over, Bass Pro shops in Bolingbrook, and Farm and Fleet today in Oswego area. Wal-Marts had zero .223, or .22 - most did have 9 and 40 in the blue Privi boxes for a reasonable price. Found some 380 and a good supply of 7.62x39 wolf as well at one store. I don't have anything in 7.62 or I probably would have bought some. All seemed to have a good supply of .45. All of the WM people I spoke with had the same story - that they could not order more 223 - they said corporate had a "block" on new orders.... kinda scary!

Bass Pro had zero .223 or .22LR, had what seemed like plenty of specialty HP defense loads for most pistol calibers but for the most part looked cleared out. First time in my life I walked out of there without buying anything.

Stopped off this AM at Farm-Fleet (love these stores). They actually had a decent selection of .22, I bought a few boxes of Remington Viper for 5.79/100. They also had some WWB 9mm for 23/100. While I was there a lady who was stocking the surrounding area got a phone call from someone who seemed pretty agitated that they didn't have any 223. I joked with her after she got off the phone, and she said that the phone has been ringing off the hook, with people getting quite angry with her for not having any in stock, as if it was her fault personally. She said that 3 people have called her a "b****" over the phone in the last week over ammo!

My hunt continues for some .223, still also chasing around for a BCG for an AR, and the Easter Bunny!

As I have said before - more people should simply CHILL (including many of the members on this forum and other gun forums). 9mm, .40, .45. and 22LR will be back. heck, manufacturers are already getting it back out to stores. Why do y'all think you need to hoard this type of ammo? Why go to Wal Mart 5 times a day? You should be more concerned with buying magazines than ammo at this point. Obama is trying to get background checks when you buy ammo - so what - it doesn't DECREASE the amount of ammo coming back onto the market.

Can anyone explain this to me? Why are you searching so much????

As I have said before - more people should simply CHILL (including many of the members on this forum and other gun forums).

If by 'chill' you mean give up shooting why? I'm not stock piling I'm trying to actually shoot my new and old guns on the weekend... I picked up 2 new firearms last week and 5 more coming next week, I didn't buy them to collect dust, I wanna shoot them and as soon as possible... I have seventeen 34 round magazines for my Sterling, I just now managed to get a single load of all those from hitting up Wally World for the last few weeks... My plan is to give each one a run through since I just reworked and refinished them all and I would like to identify any that don't feed properly or have issues... Realistically I don't have enough bullets to do that yet... And if you are wondering an NFA Sterling has been on my bucket list for years, the magazines have been secured when they were found cheap... I will use them on the neutered semi Sterling for now, but when I purchase a full auto possibly in the next year or so, even 17 magazines won't be enough and they need to function flawless in full auto so they need testing...

Why do y'all think you need to hoard this type of ammo? Why go to Wal Mart 5 times a day?

If you are shopping at Walmart you are not 'hoarding' ammo, or at least you are fooling yourself if you think you will get enough to hoard there, you will be lucky to get a few hours worth of range shooting time with what they have been getting in stock... The reason to visit Walmart, is unlike many local gun shops and Internet stores, Walmart has not raised the price and for me that is what I want, cheap ammo... I'm also at Walmart nearly every day anyway or passing by so the 10 minutes of time to swing by the isle and possibly grab some ammo for this weekend is worth it to me... If I was looking to hoard I wouldn't be buying locally as you can still get 1000 lots all over the Internet if you search around... Heck, I can still find 1000 lots locally if I want to pay the premium...

}}}You should be more concerned with buying magazines than ammo at this point.{{{

Got plenty of them for now, no need to pay the stupid prices but if I see them cheap (like at Walmart) I will pick them up as well...

}}}Obama is trying to get background checks when you buy ammo - so what - it doesn't DECREASE the amount of ammo coming back onto the market.{{{

If the diety tries to pull off an EO telling the BATF to ban import ammo, and/or import ammo is banned or limited by another means, there will be a huge decrease of ammo on the market as well as significant increase in price... Heck probably 25% of the ammo at Walmart currently is import, that's a big slice of the pie to potentially lose overnight...

}}}Can anyone explain this to me? Why are you searching so much????{{{

See above...

Agreed Rocker. I've shot about 200 rounds a week since I got my gun. I just want enough ammo so I can go to the range once a week and practice. I'm going to eventually take a class to learn from a instructor.There is only so much I can learn from watching youtube videos. I'm right handed and find that I'm shooting low and to the left. The only way to correct this is to shoot more and I need ammo to do that.

Archived