NO Chicago carveout

Mr. Fife

I think he's going to allow the CPD to object like it already allows the Sheriff. I assume the same rules apply. Looks like we'll have some more fun in Chi-town.

That actually makes sense to me. Why not the CPD object like a sheriffs dept? They would have to document WHY in each case.

I think he's going to allow the CPD to object like it already allows the Sheriff. I assume the same rules apply. Looks like we'll have some more fun in Chi-town.

That actually makes sense to me. Why not the CPD object like a sheriffs dept? They would have to document WHY in each case.

We already have a Sheriff in Chicago/Cook. Will every other town in Illinois get to object? .... NO ... then Chicago shouldn't either !!!

I agree that this would not be bad. Let's see the details before we freak out.

I hope we aren't letting them catch their breath when we have them on the ropes.

I understand where you are coming from on this, BUT sometimes you may get what you really want by giving something as miniscule as this which may not be as harmful as some may think. Just sayin !!

As MattB said, let's see the details first

I agree I would say the CPD will have a better handle on whos is under investigation (Dont laugh) than Tom Dart. I still have a feeling you will have huge delays from both of them and you will hear a lot of complaining in springfield around this time next year or so about how they arn't being given enough time to bring up concerns about CC applicants.

If the ENTIRE extent is they let the CPD chime in like they do the Local Sheriff's they i wouldn't object. Anything else I would pretty much have to personally reject though. There is NOTHING special about Chicago that wouldn't/shouldn't apply to places like Rockford, Waukeegan, Champaign, Peoria or Springfield.

I agree I would say the CPD will have a better handle on whos i under investigation (Dont laugh) than Tom Dart.

If the ENTIRE extent is they let the CPD chime in like they do the Local Sheriff's they i wouldn't object. Anything else I would pretty much have to personally reject though. There is NOTHING special about Chicago that wouldn't/shouldn't apply to places like Rockford, Waukeegan, Champaign, Peoria or Springfield.

:rofl: Sorry, pretty much everbody

I would hope that they aren't going to let the CPD make Chicago a "May Issue" area, while the rest of us get the "Shall Issue" that is deserved.

Ehh, I mean think about it like this. You already have to have CFP and a FOID card to have a gun in Chicago, so why should this be may issue on top of both of those?

I don't live in the city, but I think it's silly that they would want may issue. Like what, are they worried that gang bangers are going to apply for CCW permits? lol right. Cold day in heck when that happens.

The sad part is that raising the training requirement from 4 to 10 hours has absolutely nothing to do with safety or anything else worthwhile. The only things it does it make it more of a pain, and more expensive to get a permit. And anything that does that, the Chicago folks will be in favor of.

This is similar to a proposal from a couple of years ago, where they were going to describe it as a city with a population over xxx,000 would have the ability to go may (won't) issue. There was only one city that met that number. If this is true, it means that there are a few votes that could be peeled away from the other side, putting us over the top. In some of the hearings, I remember someone suggesting using I-80 as a demarcation line.

The text from Capitol Fax, if anyone is interested. Explains what they're reporting that Phelps is doing:

Phelps said he has worked compromise into his legislation, which was being drafted late tonight. Under his previous proposal, the state police would issue concealed carry licenses, but sheriffs could contest applications. Phelps said he also plans to give that option to Chicago city police. Phelps said he also plans to increase the fee for licenses from the $25 fee in his first iteration of the plan to $100 and call for $30 from each license to go to a special fund dedicated to repairing the state’s troubled FOID card system and ensuring that county mental health records are reported to the state police. He said training requirements would also be increased from four hours in the original bill to 10 hours and would include a live ammunition test. “We’re offering a lot of things,” he said. “This version of what we’re going to try to run tomorrow is a combination of about four bills that we have had in the time that I have been here.”

CapitolFax is also reporting that the training is being raised to 10 hours. It appears that they may be quite a bit of compromise to get the final 3-4 votes. We will just have to look at the amendment once it is filed to see what's in it.

10 hours matches Texas CCW...

Constitutional carry is better in the long term than a compromise, we will win subsequent court battles when municipalities make their own ordinances, but a carve out will be a much tougher legal battle.

I disagree.

I don't live in the city, but I think it's silly that they would want may issue. ...

Surely, you jest. If it's "may issue" they can deny for no reason at all, and turn it into a whole new pay to play. OF COURSE that's what they want.

I just mean, what do they think it will change. Like, the crooks who want to carry, will just do it. They won't EVER stop that.

Archived