Illinois General Assembly 4/18/2013

mauserme

Looking at the ilga site, looks like amendments 1-8 are withdrawn and amendment 9 was adopted? The verbage on the site makes it seem like the bill is still in play?

The bill was not beaten, it was placed on postponed consideration. The amendment reads as though it was adopted. I missed that on my crappy feed, if in fact it happened. Perhaps someone that was able to watch the whole thing can confirm or disprove.

As to what happened, I don't know, and in speaking to Molly, no one there knows either. At middle of the afternoon, it was thought that the votes were there. Something or someone came into play late afternoon that changed the landscape. Everybody take a break, let the troops on the ground do their job and figure out what happened. Trust me, they are as perplexed as all of us are.

As those bad mouthing Phelps, that will stop, one way or another.

Tim

Why would anyone bad talk phelps, he is trying to get us cc. He has worked his but off on this for years and he thought he finally had it today.

Wbear has done nothing but badmouth Phelps. Some of the attitudes of the new members need adjusting. Don't just start waltzing in here and start slamming the hard work of the people who have gotten us this far.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Tonights vote definitely was not expected by a lot of people, including Lang. did you see the pause he took after, have all voted who wish, it's like he waited for some of the no or present votes to switch to yes. Similar to when they harass a new legislator or a bill debated in jest. It's like he didn't know whether to call to the clerk to take the record or see what Madigan wanted to do. It was an awkward silence that normally isn't there.

Posted · Hidden by pyre400, April 19, 2013 at 02:30 AM - code of conduct
Hidden by pyre400, April 19, 2013 at 02:30 AM - code of conduct

Dear Chicago residents pro or anti gun,

you can sleep in the bed you made or join the rest of us. But we're tired of carrying the water for you because you can't get your **** together so ---- off and good bye

Funny, don't remember you carrying any water for us, only the other way around.

How dare you make that comment! What the --- are you even talking about? If you Chicago ----s carry the water then please tell us why it takes a 105 lb brown eyed lady from south east Illinois to come all the way up there to get a rally in order. And if you say one word about her ill crack your skull real good for you!

Tonights vote definitely was not expected by a lot of people, including Lang. did you see the pause he took after, have all voted who wish, it's like he waited for some of the no or present votes to switch to yes. Similar to when they harass a new legislator or a bill debated in jest. It's like he didn't know whether to call to the clerk to take the record or see what Madigan wanted to do. It was an awkward silence that normally isn't there.

I noticed that too.

Let's not forget the games that Madigan likes to play.

I say we call his bluff.

Again, hold 997 until June 7th and then let the chips fall where they may...

Edit - to SOME of the new members.

Knock off the bad mouthing. Some of these people have been at this for 10 years and we're only this close because of their hard work and dedication. What were you doing while they were fighting for your rights?

Frankly, I'm worn out with "they should do this or that". If you have all the answers, run for office.

You're either in this for the duration or not - make up your mind.

Not sure if it has been posted in these ~45 pages or not, but does someone have a screenshot of the voting board?

Look back. A screenshot has been posted many times.

is it too hard to point me in the right direction? I ain't looking through 46 pages of bickering to find it.

I know it was in the last ten pages, there is another thread that has a pdf with the votes give me a sec and I'll find it.

Sorry guys but I see the next update being the same as before. We are close guys. A couple more tweeks and we will have the votes. Then when we vote it's still a couple short.... Then we compromise more.... And over and over... We have been told we are in the driver's seat and hold the cards. Well let's act like it and drive over these a**holes!!! STOP COMPROMISING!!!

Not sure if it has been posted in these ~45 pages or not, but does someone have a screenshot of the voting board?

Look back. A screenshot has been posted many times.

is it too hard to point me in the right direction? I ain't looking through 46 pages of bickering to find it.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36817&st=1080#entry456080

http://blogs.suntimes.com/politics/2013/04/nra_lobbyist_after_concealed-carry_votes_failure_i_dont_know_what_else_to_say.html

Todd Vandermyde, a lobbyist for the National Rifle Association pictured here during a February hearing on concealed-carry legislation, is unclear what happens now that the House rejected an NRA-backed bill that would let Illinoisans carry their guns in public. | John H. White~Sun-Times

With reporting by Zach Buchheit

SPRINGFIELD-Here's a transcript of the question-and-answer session National Rifle Association lobbyist Todd Vandermyde had late Thursday with the Statehouse press corps after the defeat of an NRA-backed concealed-carry bill in the House:

Q: What's the next step?

A: "I don't know. Right now, we're going to have to step back and see what the roll call looked like. We had more people telling us that they were inclined to vote for this version with some changes that there were. Obviously, we made movements, and I don't know what else to say."

Q: What else can you give?

A: "We're going to stick to 'shall issue.' We're going to stick to the preemption clause. Chicago's not going to get their own permitting system. You know, I don't know. I guess there are enough people that think they're not going to vote for anything and that the best thing to do is to go over the cliff."

"A lot of us were drug kicking and screaming to some of the changes, but the object was to pass a bill. And it was to pass a good bill. And so we made an end run at it, but it seems no matter how far we negotiate and we move, it never seems to be enough for certain people. So I'm not sure if there's much left for us to talk about. We've proved that we can kill a bad bill, and if the Senate offers up bad language, we'll do the same thing we did here in the House. We'll kill it because I don't think it does Rep. Phelps or any other hardcore supporter to go back home saying that they got a quarter of a loaf instead of a whole loaf."

Q: What happens on June 9?

A: "If nothing happens, the likelihood is that we're going to have a court injunction. And if you've got a valid FOID card, you're going to be able to carry a firearm in this state. The court won't write a carry law. They have a very specific purpose, and that is to find the UUW statute in the state of Illinois unconstitutional and issue an injunction against the state's enforcement of that law. That's the court's role in this. Then you might see some municipalities try to do their own thing but they are likely to face the same hurdles that the state has."

Yes i noticed that.I thought he was having a heart attack for a minute.

But what further concessions are you willing to make? I think we have done enough. At some point, THEY have to shift in our direction. We shouldn't have to compromise away a right.

I do not want further concessions.I believe our second amendment rights have been violated for far to long.But we need to stick this out and see how it plays out..The Bill is not dead.

Guys, wbear is gone. Anybody else? We don't need anyone here badmouthing the very rep that has worked his butt off trying to get carry in this state only to be thwarted at every turn by his very own party. Not just this year, but for many. If you think that's unfair or a violation of your first amendment rights, remember, this ain't your living room or a public street corner. It's an internet site run by a governing board that has set certain rules for participation. Break those rules and you're gone.

I nor anyone else is in the mood for that BS tonight.

Tim

Fifty-one days and counting.

No,i say it will be more like 2 or 3 years before the courts file a case against the state to wope UUW enforcement off the books for people that open carry and declared it (UUW) unconstituional.

I don't agree. I think Posner will be watching this issue real close, and will jump all over any state's attorney that files a prosecution under UUW/AUUW or a substantially similar law. I think we'll see prosecutors facing contempt of court charges very quickly if they file.

Special Message to Everyone Here

This had been a long day - a tense day with a fair amount of disappointment.

It's fine to blow off some steam but I see now more posts disappearing as a result of us turning against each other.

Go ahead and rant if you need to . Scream, shout, jump up and down. But keep it civil to each other and to our friends in the legislature, especially Brandon Phelps.

We remain all on the same side - unless you allow them to divide us.

And please choose your words wisely. "Blowing up the phone" means nothing more to us than making a lot of phone calls. Make sure you do not say things that can be taken the wrong way.

Archived