Reply from Dick Durbin

Retiredguns

I received a reply back from the Senator's office. I am quite sure it is a standard form letter sent out to all 2nd amendment supporters. I am not impressed with the content as it is more of the Newtown emotional tug. They can't fix evil so I reckon they go after what they can, law abiding citizens. I want to reply but it will likely fall on deaf ears.

Dear Mr. Moore:

Thank you for contacting me about gun control measures in light of the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you.

I share with all Americans a profound sense of sorrow at the senseless act of violence committed at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The nation mourns this event and many Americans wonder what can be done to prevent this type of tragedy in the future.

I am an original cosponsor of the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act, which would reinstate a ban on magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition. The ban on multi-round magazines expired along with the federal assault weapons ban in 2004.

The majority of Americans and the majority of thoughtful gun owners and hunters agree that there must be reasonable limits on gun ownership and weapons. We must institute common-sense limits, such as barring those with a history of mental instability, those with a history of violent crime or who are subject to restraining orders, and those whose names have been placed on a terrorist watch list from owning weapons. “Straw” purchasers and gun dealers should face firm penalties. There should be limits on how many firearms may be purchased in one month. Those who own firearms that are within the reach of children should have protective locks on their weapons.

The United States Supreme Court has raised questions about the Second Amendment and the protections and responsibilities under this Constitutional amendment. I plan to hold a Senate Judiciary Hearing in the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Human Rights Subcommittee to address this Constitutional question and how to forward on gun control.

My heart and prayers go out to the victims and their families in Newtown, Connecticut, as we remember the children and teachers who lost their lives.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Richard J. Durbin

United States Senator

I agree he is honest, I respect Dick a lot more than people who talk about being "hunters" and change the subject or whos opinion is "Fluid".

I think we really see their end game though, They let DF propose insane legislation which has zero chance of passing and they slip a magazine ban in under the radar.

Someone should let him know that it's already against the law for the people he named to have acess to firearms.

"We must institute common-sense limits, such as barring those with a history of mental instability, those with a history of violent crime or who are subject to restraining orders, and those whose names have been placed on a terrorist watch list from owning weapons. “Straw” purchasers and gun dealers should face firm penalties."

I received a reply, it was a few weeks ago, it was a little different he had added a line about "although we have different opinions on the subject" line in it. I wrote back and told him he should not have an opinion at all, he is there to represent MY opinion as well as those he represents in his district, not his personal opinion. Never heard back from him again. I guess he did not like me reminding him of what his job really is. But it looks like he took that line out of his rhetoric at least.

I received a reply, it was a few weeks ago, it was a little different he had added a line about "although we have different opinions on the subject" line in it. I wrote back and told him he should not have an opinion at all, he is there to represent MY opinion as well as those he represents in his district, not his personal opinion. Never heard back from him again. I guess he did not like me reminding him of what his job really is. But it looks like he took that line out of his rhetoric at least.

So I'm not the only one one that did that? Too funny

Off Topic: The NRA sent me some Renewal statement even though I just joined... It smells like Hopps O.O

Yeah same deal here, I am wondering if they just sent that message out to ALL members. That was my assumption.

This is what the clown sent me

Thank you for your message about gun control. I appreciate knowing your views on this important issue.

Americans are entitled to own and use guns in a responsible fashion. Strong penalties for violent crimes involving firearms should be part of any effort to reduce gun violence. I have consistently supported tough crime control and prevention initiatives since coming to Congress.

Enforcing our nation’s existing gun control laws must remain a high priority. I support efforts that address illegal possession and use of firearms. Common sense restrictions such as the Brady Law and the Assault Weapons Ban are supported by law enforcement officials who must patrol our streets. These laws help protect people from crime and violence without infringing on legitimate hunting and sporting uses of firearms.

I will continue to support efforts that help ensure our nation’s gun laws are vigorously enforced. Thank you once again for contacting me.

Please feel free to stay in touch.

Sincerely,

Richard J. Durbin

United States Senator

Yesterday 9 am:

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX: "markthefixer"

Thank you for contacting me about proposals to require background checks on individuals who purchase firearms at gun shows. I appreciate hearing from you.

Americans are entitled to own and use guns in a responsible fashion. At the same time, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that reasonable restrictions on firearms are consistent with our Constitution. Firearms laws can help protect people from crime and violence without infringing on legitimate hunting and sporting uses of firearms.

Current federal law requires federal firearms licensees to conduct criminal background checks on firearms purchases at gun shows. However, there is a loophole in that law that allows non-licensed dealers to sell firearms without any background check of the buyers or documentation of the sales. As a result, law-abiding federal firearms licensees risk losing business when they comply with the law.

A report released in 2000 by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) concluded that gun shows were the nation’s second-leading source of guns recovered in illegal gun trafficking investigations. A separate ATF investigation in 1999 found that felons purchased or sold firearms at 46 percent of the gun shows it monitored. The weapons sold at 34 percent of ATF-monitored gun shows later were used in serious crimes.

From 2004 to 2006, ATF investigated 195 gun shows for possible illegal activity. These investigations led to 83 convictions and seizures of 5,345 firearms that were purchased or offered for sale illegally.

This is some of the evidence that has guided the call to close the gun show loophole. Although we may have differing views on the importance of background checks at gun shows, I appreciate knowing your thoughts.

Thank you again for contacting me about this issue. Please feel free to keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Richard J. Durbin

United States Senator

Anecdotal hearsay has ATF' being lazy at Gun Shows, declare some poor shmo a dealer and whammo.... YMMV....

Then again I don't go to gun shows, and probably wouldn't buy one privately there if I did just because I would be concerned about some sort of dodgy ATF or undercover Bloomberg scheme targeting those that don't know all the rules.

Archived