Quick Reference List: Gun Bills in the 98th General Assembly

mauserme

I agree that Representative Harris may not be our ally in the long run but I think we should include SB1489 as a questionable bill for a couple reasons.

We don't know what this bill will become, if it ever becomes anything. It may ultimately be unrelated to us. It makes more sense, I think, to include it as something to keep an eye on instead of something to expend resources opposing when our resources are limited.

In addition to that, one of our biggest arguments against gun control is that it punishes law abiding citizens for misdeeds they did not commit. If we ask our representatives to refrain from that practice I think we owe them that same courtesy by judging each bill on specific, substansive wording. Otherwise, we would be judging the sponsor of the bill instead of the bill itself (having said that, I will admit to listing SB1336 as "oppose" partly because of the sponsor's track record, but more because the title makes it pretty clear where that one is heading).

Make sense?

I agree that Representative Harris may not be our ally in the long run but I think we should include SB1489 as a questionable bill for a couple reasons.

We don't know what this bill will become, if it ever becomes anything. It may ultimately be unrelated to us. It makes more sense, I think, to include it as something to keep an eye on instead of something to expend resources opposing when our resources are limited.

In addition to that, one of our biggest arguments against gun control is that it punishes law abiding citizens for misdeeds they did not commit. If we ask our representatives to refrain from that practice I think we owe them that same courtesy by judging each bill on specific, substansive wording. Otherwise, we would be judging the sponsor of the bill instead of the bill itself (having said that, I will admit to listing SB1336 as "oppose" partly because of the sponsor's track record, but more because the title makes it pretty clear where that one is heading).

Make sense?

Sure it makes sense, but I will be training a watchful eye on this bill just the same.

SB1533 Rose - Firearms-Municipal Regulation :)

SB1536 Rose - Firearms Owners- Preempt Local Government :)

SB1616 Silverstein - Crim CD - No Online Ammo :mad(

SB1643 Raoul - Criminal Law Tech :mellow:

SB1644 Raoul - Criminal Law Tech :mellow:

Oops, I got carried away and slipped into the 1600's

Edited by lieut89

Man you're quick.

Do you think we should bother with these too:

SB1538 Wildlife-Bow & Arrow Defined - Defines a bow and arrow. Excludes cross bows.

SB1620 Wanton Waste of Game Meat - Makes it illegal to wantonly waste or destroy usable meat from game animals

I'm thinking Uncle Harley might take issue if we leave out the bow and arrow definition bill.

Man you're quick.

SB1538 Wildlife-Bow & Arrow Defined - Defines a bow and arrow. Excludes cross bows.

SB1620 Wanton Waste of Game Meat - Makes it illegal to wantonly waste or destroy usable meat from game animals

I'm thinking Uncle Harley might take issue if we leave out the bow and arrow definition bill.

Yeah, I thought about that as well. There were a couple of other neat ones in the mix as well, such as SB1586 Biss - Freedom-Tracking Device and SB1587 Biss - Drone Surveillance.

I'll put those 2 in with the neutral bills, and SB1664 Private Detectives-Sunset - Extends the repeal of the Private Detective, Private Alarm, Private Security, Fingerprint Vendor, and Locksmith Act of 2004 just for the heck of it.

I might keep track of SB1586 and SB1587 on my own but they're probably not close enough to firearms issue to include in the official list. They are indeed very interesting.

Man you're quick.

I think we should watch and support SB1538 for the simple fact that its Harley's bill, I know its not firearm related but we should support other members effort. we will already be calling and writing our Reps. no reason we cant add it to the the call or email. Basically what I'm tryin to say is it causes no extra effort to watch or support it.

We normally oppose bills that create a special class of citizens, as is the case with HB1262 - carry for real estate agents.

I put HB1025, carry for teachers, in the support column because the function of the bill as I see it is more for the protection of our children than for self defense.

Open to discussion if you wish.

Real estate agent weighing in here. Naturally I want CCW, but not just for us as a special class. I would object to teachers receiving more CCW rights than the average citizen. I would not put it past our enlightened rulers to go for something lop-sided "for the children" while restricting everyone else. Let's be careful what we wish for.

Edited by RECarry

Man you're quick.

1538 I see no issue with, that is Uncle Harleys bill afterall. Some don't like it in the hunting world but I see no issue with it.

I like 1620 as it stands, I despise trophy hunters who feel the need to take the rack and leave the rest on deer, or even those who take only the backstraps and leave the rest on either sex of animal. Wanton waste should be illegal, it's a waste of natural resource and leaves a black eye on true hunters who hunt for food first, especially on public lands

If it is ok to link to external sites, Uncle Harley is also a member of this site, here is a prime example. A bit graphic

http://www.siloutdoors.com/showthread.php?24861-Warning-this-photo-is-very-graphic&highlight=wanton+waste

I think we should watch and support SB1538 for the simple fact that its Harley's bill, I know its not firearm related but we should support other members effort. we will already be calling and writing our Reps. no reason we cant add it to the the call or email. Basically what I'm tryin to say is it causes no extra effort to watch or support it.

1538 I see no issue with, that is Uncle Harleys bill afterall. Some don't like it in the hunting world but I see no issue with it.

I like 1620 as it stands, I despise trophy hunters who feel the need to take the rack and leave the rest on deer, or even those who take only the backstraps and leave the rest on either sex of animal. Wanton waste should be illegal, it's a waste of natural resource and leaves a black eye on true hunters who hunt for food first, especially on public lands

SB1538 and SB1620 were both added to the list of neutral bills this afternoon.. I do think it makes sense for members who've had a hand in witing a bill to let me know. If nothing else I can include some indication of IC member involvement in those.

I'm also adding the sister bill to SB1620, HB1580 Wanton Waste of Game Meat, to the neutral House bills.

Real estate agent weighing in here. Naturally I want CCW, but not just for us as a special class. I would object to teachers receiving more CCW rights than the average citizen. I would not put it past our enlightened rulers to go for something lop-sided "for the children" while restricting everyone else. Let's be careful what we wish for.

More on that later ...

Since I didn't assign resolutions to anyone I get the pleasure of posting SJRCA0012 Conamend-Bill of Rights-Arms

Synopsis As Introduced

Proposes to amend the Bill of Rights Article of the Illinois Constitution. Provides that the right of the individual citizen to acquire, keep, possess, transport, carry, transfer, and use arms for defense of life and liberty, and for all other legitimate purposes is fundamental and shall not be denied or infringed, and any restriction shall be subject to strict scrutiny. Effective upon being declared adopted.

Needless to say, its a good one.

Well we can tack on Sen. Munoz's discretionary may issue carry, gun registration, and gun ban bill that was filed yesterday, SB2384. This thing amends too many chapters, subchapters, sections, subsections, paragraphs, and subpars of the ILCS to even list here (and adds a few more). I feel like we just dealt with something like this last month...hmm...why is that, oh, yes, because we dealt with something exactly like this minus the may issue portion.

Bill Status

Full Text (It's LONG)

Synopsis As Introduced

Referred to as the Illinois Public Safety Act. Creates the Gun Safety and Responsibility Act. Allows State Police to issue a concealed carry license to a resident at least 21 who: (1) is eligible to possess firearms; (2) meets qualifications and training; and (3) has particularized need. $100 fee. License valid throughout the State subject to prohibitions for 4 years. Creates the State Police Firearm Services Fund for duties under the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act (FOID), concealed carry licensing, and assault weapon registration. Amends the State Police Act to authorize emergency procurement necessary to implement these gun measures. Amends the FOID Act to require background checks for the transfer of firearms, except to family member, by operation of law, or gun show. Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Bans possession, delivery, sale, and purchase of assault weapons, attachments, and .50 caliber rifles and cartridges, except possession of weapons registered in time provided. Provides exemptions. Prohibits delivery, sale, or purchase of large capacity ammunition feeding devices. Provides exemptions. Prohibits sale, delivery, or possession of a firearm to or by a person prohibited from possessing a firearm. Raises minimum imprisonment for gunrunning. Creates failure to report a lost or stolen firearm offense. Requires safe firearm storage where a minor (now under 14) or person prohibited from possessing a firearm may gain access. Requires firearm owners to keep records. Amends various Acts regarding suspension and revocation of FOID cards and concealed carry licenses. Makes conforming changes. Effective immediately.

I'm catching up adding bills introduced Thursday and Friday to the list. I've added that one and a couple more:

Bad House Bills

HB2248 Pen Cd-No Investments In Guns

HB2265 Crim Cd-Firearm Offenses - Enhanced penalties for felons and gang members

Neutral/Shell House Bills

HB1651 Wildlife-Tech

HB1652 Wildlife-Tech

HB1850 Regulation-Tech - Amends the Private Detective Act

HB1899 Safety-Tech - FOID notification of dispositions of certain criminal cases

HB1900 Safety-Tech - FOID – Legislative Declaration

HB1901 Safety-Tech - FOID notification of dispositions of certain criminal cases

HB1902 Safety-Tech - FOID – Legislative Declaration

HB1903 Safety-Tech - FOID notification of dispositions of certain criminal cases

HB1904 Safety-Tech - FOID notification of dispositions of certain criminal cases

HB1905 Safety-Tech - FOID – Legislative Declaration

HB1907 Criminal Law-Tech - Use of force in defense of a dwelling

HB1907 Criminal Law-Tech - Use of force in defense of a person

HB1909 Criminal Law-Tech - Changes accountability for another person's conduct

HB1913 Criminal Law-Tech - Makes a change concerning the definition of a felony

HB1914 Criminal Law-Tech - Makes a change concerning the definition of a conviction

HB1917 Criminal Law-Tech

HB2159 Criminal Law-Tech

HB2182 Criminal Law-Tech - RICO

HB2186 Criminal Law-Tech - Firearm Tracing

HB2188 Criminal Law-Tech - Gunrunning

HB2191 Criminal Law-Tech - FOID – Legislative Declaration

Good Senate Bills

SB1760 FOID Approval - Establishes juducial procedures and penalties for delayed FOID applications

SB2190 FOID Preemption - Preempts county regulation

SB2269 Crim Cd-Federal Firearm Laws - Makes enforcement of federal firearm law illegal

SB2360 Crim Cd-Firearms Waiting - Waives waiting period when exchanging a firearm

Bad Senate Bills

SB1709 FOID-Firearm Registration - Requires registration of all firearms

SB1727 FOID-Insurance - Requires insurance covering negligent and willful acts; redefines ownership

SB1935FOID-Insurance - Requires insurance covering negligent and willful acts; redefines ownership

SB2325 Use/Occ Tax-Amunition - Imposes 18% ammo tax, requires training for FOID. Requires insurance, prohibits multiple sales, etc

SB2342 Crim Cd Assault Weapon Ban - Bans common self defense firearms and accessories. Requires registration.

SB2384 Criminal Cd-Firearms - Non-preemptive may issue carry, no private sales, defensive firearm ban, lost/stolen, enhanced penalties

Neutral/Shell Senate Bills

SB1678 Safety Tech - FOID notification of dispositions of certain criminal cases

SB1745 Group Hunting Licenses - Issuance of hunting licenses to up to 6 individuals

SB1761 Criminal Law-Tech - Makes a technical change concerning UUW

SB1831 WIldlife-Tech

SB1832 Wildlife-Tech

SB1838 Wildlife-Tech - Hunting by disabled veterans

SB1931 Sch Cd-Sch Security Task Force - Creates the School Security & Standards Task Force

SB1942 Wildlife Cd-Crossbow Age - Changes minimum age for crossbow use form 62 to 55

SB1948 Criminal Law-Tech

SB1956 Crim Cd-Weapons-Exemption - Deletes certain provisions in the Deadly Weapons Article of the Code

SB1962 Agriculture-Tech

SB1967 Criminal Law-Tech - Makes a change concerning the definition of a conviction

SB1969 Criminal Law-Tech

SB1972 Criminal Law-Tech - Use of force in defense of a dwelling

SB1973 Criminal Law-Tech - Use of force in defense of a person

SB1975 Criminal Law-Tech

SB1976 Criminal Law-Tech - Makes a change concerning the definition of a felony

SB2174 Criminal Law-Tech

SB2267 Crim Cd-Firearm Offenses - Enhanced penalties for second and subsequent conviction

SB2271 Wildlife-Tech

SB2272 Crim Cd Armed Offender - Enhanced penalties for habitual offenses, on school grounds, use of stolen firearm

SB2292 Wildlife-Tech

SB2293 Wildlife-Tech

SB2296 Wildlife-Tech

SB2323 Criminal Law-Tech

SB2323 Criminal Law-Tech

SB2324 Criminal Law-Tech

SB2362 Wildlife-Tech

SB2374 Criminal Law-Tech

There are few more that will get posted later.

Edited by mauserme

SB1935 - Firearm Insurance (Munoz...go fig)

Basically, the $1M minimum liability insurance policy, 4th one introduced so far....what's the strategy here?

I'm on my iPad so I can't post an embedded link but here's a link to the bill status

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=1935&GAID=12&GA=98&DocTypeID=SB&LegID=73488&SessionID=85

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bills filed 2/21/2013 and 2/22/2014 have been added:

Good House Bills

HB2574 Veteran Hunting-Competency Req - Honorably discharged veterans meet competency requirements.

HB2700 FOID-Preempt Loc Gov - Denies homerule powers relating to permits & licenses

Bad House Bills

HB2589 FOID-Insurance - Requires insurance for willful acts

HB2592 Gun Trafficling Prevention - Combines state dealers license, lost or stolen, no private sales, registration

HB2597 Gun Offender Registry

HB2633 Firearm Transfers-State Police - Creates a registry of transfers with the ISP

HB2792 FOID-Psych Exam - Requires mental health certification for FOID

HB2811 FOID-Handgun Registration- Requires handgun registration with fee + transfer registry; lost or stolen

HB2831 Crim Cd- Assault Wepons Ban - Bans common firearms, establishes registration. Potentially exempts the bill's sponsor

HB2834 Crim Cd-Firearms - May issue carry, firearm ban, back ground checks, storage

Neutral House Bills

HR0091 National Right to Carry

HB2619 Wildlife Cd-Crossbow Age - Reduces the age for cross bow use from 62 to 65

HB2703 Crossbow Hunt-Age 14 & Under - Allows hunters age 14 & under to use a crossbow

HB2704 Apprentice Hunter License - Removes language making apprentice hunter license one time use

HB2723 Private Detective-Sunset - Makes changes regarding licensure to carry a firearm

HB2742 Crim Cd-Unlaw Weapons-Juv - Prohibits persons confined to a penal institution from possessing weapons

HB2743 Correctional Office-Firearms - Creates a special class for carry by off duty correctional officers

HB2840 Wildlife-Tech