S&w 500

Blaster

I've seen them at shows a few times. Personally, I can think of other guns I'd rather spend $1000 on, but to each his own. It would definitely be fun to have one.

The VPC refers to them as "vest busters", despite the fact that I'm unaware of a single incident in the nation where one was used in a crime. You can read their "fact" sheet on them here:

http://www.vpc.org/press/0406vest.htm

"This vest-busting 50-caliber handgun draws a bead on every law enforcement officer in America," said Tom Diaz, VPC senior policy analyst and study author. "It is unfortunately only the latest example of dangerously reckless marketing by America's virtually unregulated gun industry." Diaz further noted that the .500 Magnum handgun, first introduced in February 2003, is already appearing at gun shows, notorious as sources of criminal gun trafficking. In addition, he pointed out, at least one shoulder holster is being sold for the Magnum revolver, thus making it easy for criminals to carry the gun concealed."

I can just see the street criminals lining up to buy a four-figure wheelgun that holds 5 shots at $2.00 a piece. Despite Mr. Diaz's alleged expertise on all things firearms related, I'm also skeptical of his assertion that the existence of a holster makes the Series 500 "easy" to conceal.

Got the chance to shoot one of these the other day - what a kick! It was fun to shoot for a few shots, but it's definitely not something you'd want to shoot often, and since I like guns that I can put a few hundred rounds through when I go to the range it's not on my purchase list.

As far as being a vest buster, what a bunch of BS - this was made for handgun hunting of larger game. I could think of a lot of things I'd rather hunt with, but in IL you are left with the option of a slug gun or a pistol with rifles not being approved so I can see why some folks do choose to hunt with them.

Just imagine how horrified the VPC people would be if they did some actual research and realized you can have a CZ52 delivered right to your door with a C&R permit for $100. The Tokarev rounds will penetrate armor even more effectively (many indoor ranges permit use of .50 but not 7.62x25 because they don't want their backstops destroyed).

• 4 weeks later...

Well, don't let the hysterical antis know, but... John Ross, author of "Unintended Consequences", (legally) carries his 4" S&W500 in a SmartCarry holster, and when he teaches his Missouri CCW classes someone always complains that there's no good way to truly conceal anything larger than a pocket-sized mouse gun. At this point he proceeds to draw his 500 from his SmartCarry, and students' eyes always bug out, he says. :angry:

If you're not familiar with John Ross, I encourage you to check out John's website for information. If and when Illinois manages to pass a CCW law I imagine he might teach whatever class is required, since he is already a CCW instructor in Missouri, and his range facilities are in eastern Illinois.

I'm not sure how many here read American Handgunner but Clint Smith has

an excellent article about the S&W .500.

I'm with Samantha on this one. If I had $1000 to spend

I'd rather buy a $700 weapon and $300 worth of ammo for enjoy.

I guess there's some places bigger isn't always better.

:angry:

Archived