Panel Backs New Fine for Guns Near Schools, Parks

mauserme

Clearly the message is it's no longer "about the children". Now it's all about the money.

http://www.chicagotr...-fines-20111209,0,2291541.story

Panel backs new fine for guns near schools, parks

Additional $3,000 penalty 'sends a clear message,' alderman says

December 9, 2011

People toting guns within 500 feet of Chicago schools and parks would get hit with an additional $3,000 fine under a measure endorsed Thursday by the City Council Public Safety Committee.

The additional fines also would apply to those loitering near schools as part of gang or drug activities under the proposal, set for a full council vote Wednesday. Current fines for the offenses range from $100 to $500, and the new fines would be added to those, said Ald. Ariel Reboyras, 30th, who proposed the measure.

"It just sends a clear message that we're not going to tolerate it," Reboyras said. "If you're going to do it, you're going to pay."

Reboyras conceded the fines are unlikely to deter wrongdoing.

"The bad guy's going to do what the bad guy does — fines mean nothing to them," he said. "But if nothing else, it steps up the fines, and if we should happen to catch someone, they'll pay another fee. That's all. It just adds more money to the revenue."

Clearly the message is it's no longer "about the children". Now it's all about the money.

http://www.chicagotr...-fines-20111209,0,2291541.story

Panel backs new fine for guns near schools, parks

Additional $3,000 penalty 'sends a clear message,' alderman says

December 9, 2011

People toting guns within 500 feet of Chicago schools and parks would get hit with an additional $3,000 fine under a measure endorsed Thursday by the City Council Public Safety Committee.

The additional fines also would apply to those loitering near schools as part of gang or drug activities under the proposal, set for a full council vote Wednesday. Current fines for the offenses range from $100 to $500, and the new fines would be added to those, said Ald. Ariel Reboyras, 30th, who proposed the measure.

"It just sends a clear message that we're not going to tolerate it," Reboyras said. "If you're going to do it, you're going to pay."

Reboyras conceded the fines are unlikely to deter wrongdoing.

"The bad guy's going to do what the bad guy does — fines mean nothing to them," he said. "But if nothing else, it steps up the fines, and if we should happen to catch someone, they'll pay another fee. That's all. It just adds more money to the revenue."

There you have it. Doesn't deter crime. Will disarm legal, lawabiding citizens, punishes those that inadverdently cross the line with a legal firearm. Yeah, they know all that, but's it's a way to clip law abiding citizens for another $3 grand. You ,know the criminal won't pay.

"The Chicago Way" truly sucks.

AB

Here's the fixed link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-chicago-gun-school-fines-20111209,0,2291541.story

If this applies to people carrying enclosed and in a case (as opposed to fining those *illegally* carrying), I hope to see legal challenge to this ordinance. The city council and the mayor's office will NEVER learn. Not when the price they pay for these idiotic decisions is with other peoples' money.

Here's the fixed link: http://www.chicagotr...-fines-20111209,0,2291541.story

If this applies to people carrying enclosed and in a case (as opposed to fining those *illegally* carrying), I hope to see legal challenge to this ordinance. The city council and the mayor's office will NEVER learn. Not when the price they pay for these idiotic decisions is with other peoples' money.

how can they put up a ordinance when there will be indoor shooting ranges that are 500 feet way from schools are they going to set around waiting for you to do this. that's just putting more on the cops like they haven't got better things to do. i think they know we are going to get RTC the next time it comes up for a vote and there going to intact all these ordinance now. you wait there will be more to come on these ordinance.IMO

How many of these gangbangers have any means of support? So how are they going to get any money out of them ?

Just another hit on the everyday legal citizen.:pirate:

I'm sure it is to dicourage carry when the legislation passes. I wonder if HB148 would preempt this local ordinance, I thought it would if not it sure should. If it doesn't we'll see more of this type of ordinace before or after right to carry passes.

Wanna bet that the issue of concealed carry isn't bouncing around in Mr. Reboyras' head? I recall another political hack from Chicago named Blagojevich that introduced a bill that would raise the FOID card annual fee to five hundred dollars. His words were "That will make people think twice about owning a gun." This is just another way to punish gun owners.

Yeah, I'm sure that's there to target the gang-bangers. :pirate:

So the rule applies to transporting an unloaded, encased firearm as well? How can they even do that? What about if the road to your house goes by a park? Every time you drive home from a shooting range, etc, you're liable for a $3k fine?

Wanna bet that the issue of concealed carry isn't bouncing around in Mr. Reboyras' head? I recall another political hack from Chicago named Blagojevich that introduced a bill that would raise the FOID card annual fee to five hundred dollars. His words were "That will make people think twice about owning a gun." This is just another way to punish gun owners.

I remember the story about our "esteemed ex-governor" wanting to raise the FOID fee, but I am sure it was to $100, and it would need to be renewed annually. This would make the cost for the FOID card $500 for 5 years. If he had got that through I wonder if we'd have a republican governor and republican controlled legislature from the voter backlash. HB148 would have gone through, and we'd have right to carry in Illinois.

Archived