FFL for internet purchases?

defaultdotxbe

Fred was almost burned by an undercover thing a few years back. I won't go into the details and probably don't know them all anyway. I think he was able to show entrapment and, from what I've heard, it was a pretty obtuse thing they pulled on him in the first place.

Suffice it to say he, like many Chicago area shops, is overly cautious these days.

Don't waste your time with Freddie Bear. The owner is a total jerk. I asked him about doing an incoming transfer for me and it turned out to be an extremely expensive proposition. When I went into the shop, everything went very well. I filled out the 4473, paid the $40.00, gave him a complete description of the gun, the seller's name, address, phone number, and a copy of the seller's Indiana CCW permit. He gave me a copy of his license and I was on my way.

A few days later the guy that I bought the gun from called me to say that Freddie Bear refused the shipment and returned the gun to him. I never heard a word from Freddie Bear so I went into the shop to find out what happened and this idiot told me that it's illegal for a non-ffl to ship a handgun and it's illegal for him to accept a shipment from a non-ffl. Rather than argue with a moron, I just asked for my $40.00 back and, of course, he refused. Now, had he been honest with me up front and told me that he doesn't accept non-ffl shipments, I would have gone elsewhere. Instead he chose to lie to me about what's legal and what's illegal. So, not only did I have to pay for overnight shipping twice but I had to pay two ffl fees.

I wouldn't deal with a moron like that if he was the only ffl in Illinois.

Geez, I never realized he did **** like that. I know where I wont be going next time. I only had problems with one guy at that shop, one of the salesman who knew nothing of 1911's and even less about their price.

When I talked to the owner he was more reasonable and knowledgeable and gave me an actual price. The salesman simply said "I don't know". Asked the guy if I were to order a Springer 1911 what would it cost. He basically said "I dont know..." He was kind of an a**.

I suppose it could be "used car" salesman type of approach.

I have never done any business with transfers and such, what FFL in the south Chicago land area has treated you well? I could use that info before I go toying around with transfers.

I use either John Scott in Bolingbrook or Greg Carriglio in Oak Lawn. If you need contact information PM me and I'll give it to you. John charges $22.00 and Greg charges $25.00. Both are great guys to do business with.

Cool. I live in Oak Lawn so that would work out perfectly. Do they own shops where I can walk in and check stock, or do they just handle specific transfers? PM sent, thanks for the info.

It looks like John Scott is off the Bud's list.

Oh, thanks for letting me know that. I'll mention that to him. Not that I didnt believe you, but I looked and he did not even list on the search anymore.

My last buds purchase was at the turn of the year. I have purchased from him since then, but not from buds.

I was going to use him yesterday to order something from Bud's but he was not on the list.

Thanks I appreciate it.

No problem

Just heard back from John

We were closed for 10 days and Bud's thought it would be easier than explaining a delay in shipping!

We're open again tomorrow and should be back on Bud's sight too!

Thanks for noticing!

john and anna

So it was a premeditated logistical manuver by Buds to prevent delays - because John and Anna were closed (Buds did not want people purchasing then waiting 10 days to find out their gun never shipped because there was nobody there to sign for it). Looks like it worked :D

You probably intended to do so, but definitely call an FFL before you order. I'd check for the list to be updated tomorrow, and then give John a call and let him know you're interested in doing a transfer.

If you decide to go with John, let us know how you fare :Crying. =-(:

Thanks I appreciate it.

No problem

We were closed for 10 days and Bud's thought it would be easier than explaining a delay in shipping!

Thanks for noticing!

john and anna

So it was a premeditated logistical manuver by Buds to prevent delays - because John and Anna were closed (Buds did not want people purchasing then waiting 10 days to find out their gun never shipped because there was nobody there to sign for it). Looks like it worked :D

You probably intended to do so, but definitely call an FFL before you order. I'd check for the list to be updated tomorrow, and then give John a call and let him know you're interested in doing a transfer.

If you decide to go with John, let us know how you fare :Crying. =-(:

I talked to John today and he beat Bud's price(including transfer and So on). So I order it through him and I will pick it up next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks I appreciate it.

No problem

Thanks for noticing!

john and anna

So it was a premeditated logistical manuver by Buds to prevent delays - because John and Anna were closed (Buds did not want people purchasing then waiting 10 days to find out their gun never shipped because there was nobody there to sign for it). Looks like it worked :clap:

If you decide to go with John, let us know how you fare :laugh:

Picked up my LCP this weekend. Everything went well and I would recommned John. Actually going to buy my next M4 purchase and G36 though him,

He also let my play with a Saiga 12... Wish I could have bought that off him

so im looking to make a purchase or two from budsgunshop.com, and i was wondering if anyone could recommend and FFL to do the shipping/transfer thing (chicago south suburbs)

i dont know what the etiquette is on that, if most shops are OK with, or if they get annoyed when you ask to have them transfer a gun your planning on purchasing from someone else or what...

Used a gentleman in Oak Lawn two times.

Nice guy, but very cautious, for all the right reasons.

If you need info let me know, he is off of 103 & Central.

I have used this FFL in the past also. He's reliable.

If you decide to go with John, let us know how you fare ;)

Picked up my LCP this weekend. Everything went well and I would recommned John. Actually going to buy my next M4 purchase and G36 though him,

I sent them a message through Gunbroker a week ago or so to see if I can have a CM9 shipped to them when i find it (or if they had one available), and haven't heard anything.

Hrm..

If you decide to go with John, let us know how you fare ;)

I sent them a message through Gunbroker a week ago or so to see if I can have a CM9 shipped to them when i find it (or if they had one available), and haven't heard anything.

Hrm..

I would call him. I know Davidsons carries Kahr. Let him price one out.

Freddie Bear is a pretty decent shop located in Tinley IL. I believe his fee is 50 bucks.

Midwest Guns, but I have never spoken with the staff there. My friends father's brother in law (yeah one of those... hahaha) is an FFL and does all his work for him, but I do not have a direct connection with him as of right now.

If you are willing to wait until this weekend I might be able to make some arrangements for you to hook up with him.

If you cannot wait, then I recommend Freddie Bear. The owner is a pretty decent no nonsense kind of guy, and the staff has been pretty friendly too.

There is a small gunstore in Chicago Heights that charges $35.00. The owner is very nice. PM me if you want the info.

Archived