Firearms Disposition Form

Nomad

In the past, the Chicago Police Department have been kind enough to mail to a Chicago resident the Firearms Disposition form, and then the resident could simply mail it back after filling it out. That is no longer the case! A Chicago resident now must physically go to 4770 S. Kedzie and fill out the form in person. This is a major inconvenience for those who do not live near that location and who don't have a car.

I have two friends who are Chicago residents and they always come to me in regards to the subject of guns as they consider me an expert. So for the past few months, I've been assisting them with the new Chicago gun ordinance and gathering all the information they need to continue to be legal gun owners in Chicago. When they learned about all the unconstitutional BS that one must now go through in Chicago, they had a change of heart and made the final decision to get rid of their guns. It's a sad shame because for the first time in their lives, my Chicago friends are now unconstitutionally disarmed thanks to Dick Daley and his weak cronies.

Earlier this week, my friends called the gun registration desk and requested to have the Firearms Disposition forms mailed to them. In the past, my friends have done this without issue and they told me that the gun registration desk informed them that they must physically come to Kedzie for this. So my friends asked me to call just in case they weren't saying it right, so I had the time today to finally call. I was told the same thing and I even asked them if a written affidavit that supplied all the information the form requires could be mailed instead. The man at the other end suddenly asked me, "Who are you?" I thought about asking him the same stupid question but I replied, "What do you mean?" He then said, "Are you police?" I then replied, "I'm just someone who is making a simple inquiry and in the past, the form was mailed to the resident's home if requested. Why did that change?" He said, "I don't know about the past but it's not like that now."

So not only has DICK Daley made it a lot tougher to own guns in Chicago, it is no longer easy to simply let them know that you no longer have guns in the city. I thought Daley's goal was to get rid of all guns in Chicago. Why not make the firearms disposition process easy if he wants all guns out of citizen hands so badly?

In the past, the Chicago Police Department have been kind enough to mail to a Chicago resident the Firearms Disposition form, and then the resident could simply mail it back after filling it out. That is no longer the case! A Chicago resident now must physically go to 4770 S. Kedzie and fill out the form in person. This is a major inconvenience for those who do not live near that location and who don't have a car.

I have two friends who are Chicago residents and they always come to me in regards to the subject of guns as they consider me an expert. So for the past few months, I've been assisting them with the new Chicago gun ordinance and gathering all the information they need to continue to be legal gun owners in Chicago. When they learned about all the unconstitutional BS that one must now go through in Chicago, they had a change of heart and made the final decision to get rid of their guns. It's a sad shame because for the first time in their lives, my Chicago friends are now unconstitutionally disarmed thanks to Dick Daley and his weak cronies.

Earlier this week, my friends called the gun registration desk and requested to have the Firearms Disposition forms mailed to them. In the past, my friends have done this without issue and they told me that the gun registration desk informed them that they must physically come to Kedzie for this. So my friends asked me to call just in case they weren't saying it right, so I had the time today to finally call. I was told the same thing and I even asked them if a written affidavit that supplied all the information the form requires could be mailed instead. The man at the other end suddenly asked me, "Who are you?" I thought about asking him the same stupid question but I replied, "What do you mean?" He then said, "Are you police?" I then replied, "I'm just someone who is making a simple inquiry and in the past, the form was mailed to the residents home if requested. Why did that change?" He said, "I don't know about the past but it's not like that now."

So not only has DICK Daley made it a lot tougher to own guns in Chicago, it is no longer easy to simply let them know that you no longer have guns in the city. I thought Daley's goal was to get rid of all guns in Chicago. Why not make the firearms disposition process easy if he wants all guns out of citizen hands so badly?

Glad you were able to interact with a friendly, helpful, and courteous public servant. Like many, he seems to have forgotten who pays his salary!!

I would suggest that you contact his supervisor, but sadly, that would probably be a waste of time.

AB

This is total suckage. I'll find out soon enough when they deny at least two of the registrations I sent in. They'll want to know what happened to those guns.

Going forward, gun owners (who register guns) will have to file a yearly report of the disposition of their guns. Those forms, they say, will be mailed out. It should list all guns registered and we simply tell them the status of those guns.

We'll see.

This is total suckage. I'll find out soon enough when they deny at least two of the registrations I sent in. They'll want to know what happened to those guns.

Going forward, gun owners (who register guns) will have to file a yearly report of the disposition of their guns. Those forms, they say, will be mailed out. It should list all guns registered and we simply tell them the status of those guns.

We'll see.

At some level (when said gun is no longer within city limits), what the city does finally turns so nit-picky that it's irrelevant, right?

So you need a registration certificate for any gun you have in the city limits. OK. If that gun isn't in the city limits, you don't need a certificate. Right? But the city has no authority over guns not in the city (even if previously registered). Correct? If you don't have said gun in the city limits ... who cares? Am I wrong?

What exactly is the disposition form? I presume it's to inform them what you did with a previously registered gun ... or to unregister it, right? Are they really demanding that you tell the city the whereabouts of a gun that is no longer registered? Maybe I don't get it ...

The crap you folks have to go through is almost unbelievable. And despite "chicago's handgun ban being ruled unconstitutional" ... knowing about this nit-picky registration stuff makes me just as mad.

We'll see.

At some level (when said gun is no longer within city limits), what the city does finally turns so nit-picky that it's irrelevant, right?

So you need a registration certificate for any gun you have in the city limits. OK. If that gun isn't in the city limits, you don't need a certificate. Right? But the city has no authority over guns not in the city (even if previously registered). Correct? If you don't have said gun in the city limits ... who cares? Am I wrong?

What exactly is the disposition form? I presume it's to inform them what you did with a previously registered gun ... or to unregister it, right? Are they really demanding that you tell the city the whereabouts of a gun that is no longer registered? Maybe I don't get it ...

The crap you folks have to go through is almost unbelievable. And despite "chicago's handgun ban being ruled unconstitutional" ... knowing about this nit-picky registration stuff makes me just as mad.

They have, in the past, required the address where I keep the 'disposed' firearms and my lawyer instructed me to comply. It is true they have no jurisdiction on the guns you keep outside city limits, but they do continue to have jurisdiction or any firearms you do have registered. I was not allowed, under the old ordinance, to register any new firearms until I complied with their disposition form for firearms that either were denied registration or had expired. I think it is entirely possible that they could revoke or refuse to renew one's CFP and thus all other firearm registrations for refusing to comply with their 'reasonable' requests.

Also, failure to comply with their registration laws is inviting some serious fines.

I do feel bad for persons such as mentioned in the OP who have complied with the old ordinance who now feel the new one is too burdensome and are being put through some hoops to avoid the whole thing altogether.

FF --

If they were to deny me, a firearm registration, my answer is it is out of the city and therefore none of your business. If they jacked me around, then it's lawsuit time again. Trying to govern conduct that is lawful outside of their city limits seems to be inviting trouble.

You do what you want, but you just gave me an idea for another bill to introduce.

The more of this crap I hear about, the more I believe that we won the battle of McDonald but lost the war for gun owners in Chicago. As GF and Todd say, what the heck gives the city the right to govern or keep track of your lawful activities outside the city?? If I say that a gun is no longer in the city, they don't need to know where it is, just that it's gone. If I'm found with that gun inside the city limits, then they might have a beef. But if I want to keep an M-60 in Indiana and have the tax stamp and papers for it, what business is it of theirs?

Todd, I appreciate the work you do and all the bills that get written and passed. But, it seems that we deal with the nit-picky stuff every year and have for decades. The two bills that need to get passed are LTC and state-wide pre-emption. All the little stuff is a distraction, and makes the antis think that they're giving us something. The idea that the town that I live in can dictate laws that supercede state and federal laws and can try to make me obey the city laws when I'm outside the city is ludicrous.

What part of incorporation are we missing here?

AB

I just looked 86 mi to the SSW and I can still see steam rolling off someones head

Just Say'n ph34r.gif

I wouldn't be surprised. I think of all the hours, work, inconvenience for the plaintiffs, and sacrifice of their privacy that went on during the years that it took to get McDonald to the Supremes. Then we're all dancing naked in the street when we get a 5-4 decision that everyone says is "landmark" and a "home run" and all these other great adjectives.

Now, the gun owners of Chicago are talking about "CFP's" and "Firearm Disposition Forms" and it costs them $700 now for the same guns that cost $25 under the old law.. That's a win??

Something is terribly wrong.

Daley is laughing his a** off everytime he thinks about it.

And yes, the steam's still rolling.

UAB

I just looked 86 mi to the SSW and I can still see steam rolling off someones head

Just Say'n ph34r.gif

I wouldn't be surprised. I think of all the hours, work, inconvenience for the plaintiffs, and sacrifice of their privacy that went on during the years that it took to get McDonald to the Supremes. Then we're all dancing naked in the street when we get a 5-4 decision that everyone says is "landmark" and a "home run" and all these other great adjectives.

Now, the gun owners of Chicago are talking about "CFP's" and "Firearm Disposition Forms" and it costs them $700 now for the same guns that cost $100 under the old law.. And, with no disrespect meant to anyone, like the good sheep that generations of Daley rule have beat into them, they line up, drive miles and spend hundreds of dollars to comply with a law that's just as unconstitutional as the first. It's just more complicated, ridiculous and expensive. That's a win??

Something is terribly wrong.

Daley is laughing his a** off everytime he thinks about it.

And yes, the steam's still rolling.

UAB

Yep, this is why it's so hard to get more people involved especially when it comes to carry itself. People see all these resolutions, endorsments and court decisions and so forth and yet we never get anywhere all because of 2 politicians

I say it's time to circumvent those two and that town. If the people of Chicago aren't going to take a stand then screw 'em

Blow the dust off 2257? lol

Ah it will be ok we'll get it thumbsup.png

Here's another reason why requiring people to visit 4770 S. Kedzie is major inconvenience. The Kedzie hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 3:30pm. Most Americans work during those times and days and would have to take a day off work just to notify the tyrant that another LEGAL gun has been removed from his kingdom.

Yep, this is why it's so hard to get more people involved especially when it comes to carry itself. If the people of Chicago aren't going to take a stand then screw 'em

Years ago, I once gave one of my Chicago buddies a three-year NRA membership and another Chicago friend a one-year NRA membership as gifts to each of them. These guys are in no way anti-gun, but at the same time, they are not pro-gun activists like us IllinoisCarry members. I was the one who always went to the annual SAFR events while they wouldn't be caught dead at such an event. After their memberships expired, I asked if they would consider renewing on their own. They never did. I didn't offer to renew their memberships myself because I felt that supporting the Second Amendment should only come from one's own heart, not another person's wallet.

When I used to work for the city as a contractor, one coworker of mine became a shooting buddy. We would go shooting every quarter and we were avid gun nuts. Yet this guy isn't a member of any pro-gun organization.

My point is that an enormous amount of Americans are not against the Second Amendment and would probably cry if it were ever repealed outright, but among that enormous amount, only a fraction choose to actively do something about it. Crying.%20=-%28.gif

Yep, this is why it's so hard to get more people involved especially when it comes to carry itself. If the people of Chicago aren't going to take a stand then screw 'em

Years ago, I once gave one of my Chicago buddies a three-year NRA membership and another Chicago friend a one-year NRA membership as gifts to each of them. These guys are in no way anti-gun, but at the same time, they are not pro-gun activists like us IllinoisCarry members. I was the one who always went to the annual SAFR events while they wouldn't be caught dead at such an event. After their memberships expired, I asked if they would consider renewing on their own. They never did. I didn't offer to renew their memberships myself because I felt that supporting the Second Amendment should only come from one's own heart, not another person's wallet.

When I used to work for the city as a contractor, one coworker of mine became a shooting buddy. We would go shooting every quarter and we were avid gun nuts. Yet this guy isn't a member of any pro-gun organization.

My point is that an enormous amount of Americans are not against the Second Amendment and would probably cry if it were ever repealed outright, but among that enormous amount, only a fraction choose to actively do something about it. Crying.%20=-%28.gif

Nail On Head, you hit it. Everyone has to get involved, it's not just words when we say that.

Guys -- i agree that two bills can solve almost all our problems.

But getting the votes for those two bills has not been easy. I feel we have a better chance this time than we do at any time I have seen. Still some kinks to work out, like the upcoming election, but If I have my way, I'm going to treat the city just like they did those gang members, this is not a negotiation. This is the way ot's going to be.

But I will need everyone help in applying pressure where it needs to be to really leverage everything that we have.

Well, there you are. Daley is still in control. He does not care what the SCOTUS said, he does not care what the NRA,ISRA or any other group says. Daley only does what Daley wants to do even if it is against the law. It is not HIS law. Chicago style politics, now in Washington. Now we see just how big of a chump he is. Illinois will still be the laughing stock of the couyntry as long as Daley is in control. Doesn't that make you proud?

They have, in the past, required the address where I keep the 'disposed' firearms and my lawyer instructed me to comply. It is true they have no jurisdiction on the guns you keep outside city limits, but they do continue to have jurisdiction or any firearms you do have registered. I was not allowed, under the old ordinance, to register any new firearms until I complied with their disposition form for firearms that either were denied registration or had expired. I think it is entirely possible that they could revoke or refuse to renew one's CFP and thus all other firearm registrations for refusing to comply with their 'reasonable' requests.

Yes, so what I and others here are picking up is the reality that if Chicago residents wish to register one or more firearms with the city, then (by hook or crook) Chicago is going to exercise some manner of control over other firearms they own yet choose not to bring within city limits.

There is something fundamentally flawed with that reality, and I question the authority of Chicago to maintain such a system.

Yeah ... perhaps there are things at the state level that could be done to help rectify this ... even if full statewide preemption of firearms laws is not doable in the near future. We know that is a major goal, but maybe dealing with these Chicago issues via targeted legislation (aided immensely by a friendly Governor!) is a way to initiate discussion, and get the "camel's nose" under the tent fly.

Labor Day weekend update:

One of my friend's over the weekend visited two police stations in Chicago's north side. He asked for a "firearms disposition form" at both stations just to see what response he would get. My friend told me that although all the officers at both stations treated him in a friendly manner, the initial officers who greeted him didn't know much about firearms disposition and at both stations, a senior officer had to assist. The senior officer at both stations stated that they had no forms in stock at the station and that a person must physically go to Kedzie.

One of the stations gave my friend a handwritten note that contained the address, phone number, and business hours for Kedzie. My friend was told the hours are for Monday through Friday and is closed on Labor Day.

Here is the info that was on the note:

4770 S. Kedzie

312-745-5620

08:30 - 15:30

I would like to add that for those who must use public transportation and prefer the train, the nearest CTA train station is the Orange line, Kedzie stop. If you're coming from the north side, you'll have to ride to the Loop first and then transfer to the Orange line heading south in the direction of Midway Airport. According to Google Maps, it's about a three minute walk from the train station to 4770 S. Kedzie.

Ha, what a riot. This is basically halfway between Cicero and Englewood right?

So in addition to the waiting and begging and fees and taxes and general harassment, any gun owner in Chitcago now has to travel in person into the ghetto to inform the Nanny State the status of his guns...naturally it's during the middle of the work day since suckers working for a living are the enemy of the Chicago socialists. Their constituency doesn't have work hours.

My friend provided another update. He made it to Kedzie after a long CTA train ride from the north side. There was just one woman behind a small counter designated "Gun Registration" and my friend said she was very nice and helpful. My friend requested three firearm disposition forms, one for himself and two for another friend of mine. That's three "Second Amendment legal" firearms that were disposed of thanks to Dick.

My friend clearly asked the clerk two questions:

1. Could he give the extra two forms to his friend, then his friend fills them out and mails them to Gun Registration (Kedzie), or does his friend have to physically come to Kedzie?

Answer: The form can be mailed to Kedzie, but the person or someone on their behalf must come and pick the form up from Kedzie first.

2. Why can't blank forms be mailed to a citizen so that they don't have to come to Kedzie?

Answer: The clerk didn't have an answer and even chuckled with my friend over the question. She again assured my friend that the forms must be physically picked up by someone first, then they can either be mailed back to Kedzie or physically handed in.

In addition, after filling out the form for himself, he asked the clerk is she would be willing to make a copy for him. She replied that the police department will mail him a copy, but the clerk was so nice that she offered to provide him a photocopy anyway.

By the way, the gun registration counter is passed the first couple of counters after you enter the correct room. At first, my friend stood in line for five minutes at the first counter only to be told that the gun registration counter is several meters to the left. When you first walk into the building, there are three doors. Go through the middle door that leads to a hallway. Walk down the hallway a couple doors and it's on the right-hand side.

My 25 cents:

My friend had to miss a half day of work for this bull****. There is NO reason why firearms disposition should be so inconvenient to do, especially when the tyrant WANTS to rid the city of all LEGAL guns. Why not have a simple online form for the firearms disposition so that no one has to travel anywhere and no postage would be needed? Why does the Chicago regime continue to live in the Stone Age? Surprisingly, there is no fee to report firearm disposition. I guess the regime feels that the inconvenience, loss of a half day or full day of work, and travel cost are enough penalty.

There is NO reason why firearms disposition should be so inconvenient to do, especially when the tyrant WANTS to rid the city of all LEGAL guns. Why not have a simple online form for the firearms disposition so that no one has to travel anywhere and no postage would be needed? Why does the Chicago regime continue to live in the Stone Age? Surprisingly, there is no fee to report firearm disposition. I guess the regime feels that the inconvenience, loss of a half day or full day of work, and travel cost are enough penalty.

hmmm...why/why not? Surely you jest? (No disrespect intended.)

Archived