4/23 BAD Bills on the move

Tvandermyde

Ok it’s been a crazy kinda week at the capitol.

There have been some meetings among legislators to try and see if there was a package of guns issues that could be worked out. It’s not going very well. They don’t like the answer NO to most of their ideas.

Then today I was informed that the Chicago gun bills would be moved back to the floor for votes next week. I don’t know if it’s one bill or all of them. The ride home was a series of phone calls working out issues and trying to set up a strategy.

During all of this week, I’ve been in touch with the leadership of Illinois Carry to keep them informed of what has been going on. Asking their ideas on the strategy we are looking at. We probably have more questions than answers right now, but we’re not in the driver’s seat as far as the leadership on the general assembly goes. But we normally control a majority of votes.

So sometime in the next week we could see an all out fight on the floor of the House for everything from semi-auto ban, no private handgun sales, dealer licensing/registration, the “gang” bill, to the “Diggins” bill on transportation of firearms, one gun per month and who knows what else.

They are scheduled to go in on Tuesday and be in through the weekend. So starting Monday morning you need to call your state representative and tell them to oppose all of the Chicago anti-gun bills.

Call every day until we win this thing. I’ll talk more about things later but as this is an open forum, we are not going to give away our strategy.

Also this week HB-4835 the waiting period reform bill was assigned to the Senate Public Health Committee and then assigned to the sub-committee on special issues to die. It has now been re-referred to the Assignments committee. The senate is shelving all of our bills. They have also shelved the anti-gun bills as well.

My take on this is that they are really starting to have bad feelings about the McDonald case. And with 4 polls in row having Bill Brady ahead of Governor Quinn, they may feel that this could be the last chance they have to try and pass something – anything.

That with a Governor Brady, they will need 71 votes in the House and 36 in the Senate to overcome a veto. They will see a fundamental shift is the state policy emanating out of the Governor’s office. State Police will no longer be puppets for their anti-gun press conferences.

There is a lot to get done this weekend as we look at the strategy on how to deal with this stuff, and what our response will be on several levels. I want to thank the Illinois Carry leaders that have participated in our talks this week as we sound out ideas and what options we have in front of us.

Now Go Get ‘em.

Is there any speculation on what the political make up of both chambers will look loike in IL after the elections?

The speculation is that the (d)'s are gonna lose some seats and the ®'s are gonna gain some. Unless you have a crystal ball, it's hard to go much further. Recent polls say that Brady will win the Governor's seat. But, it 's a long time 'till November and lots can happen.

We all need to work to get our candidates elected, regardless of where we are in the state.

AB

If you guys have reps that are on our side call mine. They wont ask where you live. Just so the amount of calls say oppose. Yarbrough is one of the biggest anti's in springfield.

Even if they do ask where you live, you can tell them you don't live in their district, but you are willing to come walk their district against them and that campaign contributions can be made to anyone!

Any politicians' number one priority is re-election. Threaten that, and you 'll get their attention.

AB

If you guys have reps that are on our side call mine. They wont ask where you live. Just so the amount of calls say oppose. Yarbrough is one of the biggest anti's in springfield.

Even if they do ask where you live, you can tell them you don't live in their district, but you are willing to come walk their district against them and that campaign contributions can be made to anyone!

Any politicians' number one priority is re-election. Threaten that, and you 'll get their attention.

AB

Sounds like a passage out of the Todd Vandermyde Play Book to me. Many games have been won using those plays.

My rep and senator are golden, so I was just going to go through our red, yellow, green list of reps and senators and write down all the yellows/orange and melt their phone lines this week. I figure it's moot point to call the commie pinks just as it is to call the greens cause you're not going to change their minds, it's the fence sitters we need to pound on. Make sense?

Just made the first wave of calls to Bellock, Froehlich, Mathias and went ahead and decided to go ahead and called my rep Rose to give him a heads up. I'm siting specific bill numbers for the transportation bill, semi auto bill, licensing act bill, 1 gun per month bill and can't remember the other off hand and then just commenting "and all the rest of the anti 2A bills". Is there a list of say 5 specific bill numbers we should refer to or is it ok to just say "all of the anti 2A bills"?

Just made the first wave of calls to Bellock, Froehlich, Mathias and went ahead and decided to go ahead and called my rep Rose to give him a heads up. I'm siting specific bill numbers for the transportation bill, semi auto bill, licensing act bill, 1 gun per month bill and can't remember the other off hand and then just commenting "and all the rest of the anti 2A bills". Is there a list of say 5 specific bill numbers we should refer to or is it ok to just say "all of the anti 2A bills"?

It is imperative that you contact your State Representative and urge him or her to oppose any anti-gun bill that is brought to the floor for a vote. The bills most likely to be considered include:

House Bill 180, introduced by State Representative Deborah Graham (D-78), would establish a state-based licensing scheme for Federal Firearms License (FFL) holders that sell handguns.

House Bill 5480, introduced by State Representative Harry Osterman (D-14), would outlaw most private transfers of handguns and require the transfers to be processed through an FFL.

House Bill 5495, introduced by State Representative William Burns (D-26), would prohibit law-abiding citizens from purchasing more than one handgun in a 30-day period.

House Bill 5751, introduced by State Representative Edward Acevedo (D-2), was voted out of the House Executive Committee this week, and is now on the floor. This bill if passed would ban countless semi-automatic handguns, rifles, and shotguns, many parts for the same, as well as .50 cal. rifles and ammunition.

House Bill 5849, introduced by State Representative Harry Osterman (D-14), would overturn last year’s Illinois Supreme Court ruling that held the storage boxes built into vehicles qualified for storing unloaded firearms for lawful transportation under Illinois law. This bill would change the law to make it more difficult to lawfully transport unloaded firearms.

House Bill 6123, introduced by State Representative Osterman (D-14), would create a confusing new felony offense for “knowingly” supplying a “street gang member” with a firearm. A “street gang member” is defined in the Illinois Streetgang Terrorism Omnibus Prevention Act. This legislation is undoubtedly intended to capitalize on the fears the general public has for words like “street gang” and “terrorism.

Yes sir Lou, My comment about not worrying about my own rep is only because I feel like I drive the poor receptionist nuts when I know that Rose is always going to do the right thing so I don't bother him unless it's especially important. But I deemed this upcoming assault on our rights as without acception and called Rose anyway.

I wonder if this "We need the national guard to patrol the streets" and bringing these bills out is a coordinated effort by Daley and his minions to get something pre-McDonald passed.

This whole sneaky effort sickens me.

Sickens me too, but it's nice to sit and watch them swing for the fence and it will be even better when they whiff

I wonder if this "We need the national guard to patrol the streets" and bringing these bills out is a coordinated effort by Daley and his minions to get something pre-McDonald passed.

This whole sneaky effort sickens me.

I sort of wondered that myself. There was a SunTimes article, saying how Daley was rejecting the national guard idea ... but then proposed something alternative as a more "common-sense" solution ... his package of eternal gun control bills.

I don't have the link ... maybe someone opposed it already. Some spokesman for the FOP said something that "the national guard alternative would make me worried that people's constitutional rights are being violated." But I guess offending the 2A is no problem for him (or the state FOP).

EDITED to add: After watching this clip, I am leaning toward the notion that this whole national guard thing is orchestrated to put pressure on the antigun bills pending in the legislature. This is the week ... it's a political game, with the news people complicit (or at least taking the bait).

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=7406233

Things don't happen like this coincidentally.

The push has been building, and got a lot of extra push from the Fifth Floor once the weather picked up and the crime numbers started the big rise (only a few days after Daley and Weis announced that crime rates had gone down!).

I believe they were looking for a slingshot effect from the open-carry events that got so much ink and air with all those nasty guys with their ARs terrorizing DC (even if they were in Virginia in most of the news items).

Militias... Tea Parties... right-wing nuts with guns... gun violence killing children (did you notice the Chicago Public School student slaughter meme disappeared when the CPS system started looking like the problem?)... gun buy-back by the reverends in two weeks... Arizona non-permit carry...

Okay, kidding about that last meme. Didn't hear much about that, but maybe all the blood running in the streets drowned it out.

There's no coincidence at all. The Joyce puppets turn on their fax machines, and Old Media is right there helping to protect us.

Things don't happen like this coincidentally.

The push has been building, and got a lot of extra push from the Fifth Floor once the weather picked up and the crime numbers started the big rise (only a few days after Daley and Weis announced that crime rates had gone down!).

I believe they were looking for a slingshot effect from the open-carry events that got so much ink and air with all those nasty guys with their ARs terrorizing DC (even if they were in Virginia in most of the news items).

Militias... Tea Parties... right-wing nuts with guns... gun violence killing children (did you notice the Chicago Public School student slaughter meme disappeared when the CPS system started looking like the problem?)... gun buy-back by the reverends in two weeks... Arizona non-permit carry...

Okay, kidding about that last meme. Didn't hear much about that, but maybe all the blood running in the streets drowned it out.

There's no coincidence at all. The Joyce puppets turn on their fax machines, and Old Media is right there helping to protect us.

I just haven't decided whether the "old media" are "useful idiots" or "Bought priesthood". I really don't know which is more insulting, but they passed "Agent of influence" a long long time ago.

And for everybody that speaks nicely about Fox news, channel 32 here doesn't sound any different to me than the others.

Here's your money quote, straight from the horse's mouth, Hizzoner Himself:

"The mayor also sounded his familiar theme of needing more gun control laws and suggested Fritchey and Ford back him in those efforts.

'This is all about guns, and that's why the crusade is on," Daley said. "We hope to get their cooperation in Springfield.'"

From the Chicago Tribune article, via Second City Cop

Thanks, Cherry. And the article also indicates that Daley full well knows the difference between semiauto "assault rifles" and "fully automatic weapons" ... and least when saying so works in his perceived favor.

"You put them on for a weekend, without ammunition?" he asked. "Think of the repercussions you have to look at. … A fully automatic weapon?"

Article

AB

I was wondering if they check caller ID for those calling. Even if they don't ask they might know by your area code, of course you might have a cell phone from that reps area code and be 300 miles away. Is it legal to block your number in Illinois? If so how is that done? I sometimes get blocked calls and always assume they are probably telemarketers and let my answering machine get them. Maybe they are all from outside Illinois. I like the idea of telling them you'll contribute to their opponent if they vote for bad bills. Better idea keep track of their vote and do so if they vote yes on bad bills.

Could Illinois carry have a list of how reps vote on these bills if they get to the floor? No one needs to be told how to vote, just be given the info.

"The mayor also sounded his familiar theme of needing more gun control laws and suggested Fritchey and Ford back him in those efforts.

'This is all about guns, and that's why the crusade is on," Daley said. "We hope to get their cooperation in Springfield.'"

Gee Mayor, we were hoping we could get your cooperation to pass legislation in Springfield to restore the right to carry.

The comments on second city cop are just wow! Those are mostly LEOs commenting on there isn't it? We have that much support from LEO in Chicago?

I'm a bit confused and need some help. I just spoke to a very kind lady at Rep Burkes office. First off, just to spread the word, she informed me that she works for both Rep Burk & Rep Lavia, so if you call one you can cross the other off the list and she assured me she would get the message to both of them.

Now, She tells me that what they are working on in the house are actually senate bills. So as we're going through our list of specific bills do we need to sort through and figure out the actual bill numbers of the ones that are dead and the ones that are still alive even though they are just photocopies of each?

I'm a bit confused and need some help. I just spoke to a very kind lady at Rep Burkes office. First off, just to spread the word, she informed me that she works for both Rep Burk & Rep Lavia, so if you call one you can cross the other off the list and she assured me she would get the message to both of them.

Now, She tells me that what they are working on in the house are actually senate bills. So as we're going through our list of specific bills do we need to sort through and figure out the actual bill numbers of the ones that are dead and the ones that are still alive even though they are just photocopies of each?

IMHO, until we see what actually comes out of Rules and Assignments for consideration, I think just a call to encourage the Rep/Senator to support pro-gun bills and oppose anti-gun bills would be sufficient. We are watching to see what actual bill is coming out and then can make calls with specific details.

Not sure what she's saying. On the schedule today for the House are both House bills, Senate bills, all manner of legislation. If it's on the schedule, then it MIGHT be acted upon that day.

Specific bills are forthcoming, maybe real soon.

ETA -- see the list, post #5 here

UAB

Archived