Sometimes you gotta wonder who your friends really are!

abolt243

Sometimes you have to wonder who your friends are. I'll try to do this in as few as words as possible.

In the 59th legislative district in IL, mostly in Lake County, a representative named Kathy Ryg served. No friend of gun owners, she was rated "commie pink" in Illinois Carry ratings and "F" from the NRA/ISRA. She resigned for whatever reason and the local Dems appointed Carol Sente to her place. Ms. Sente was no "A" in our book, but those in the know say she was a nice lady, willing to listen and had voted our way a time or two. Told Todd that she was an NRA member. At least a C+ if not a B-. She is running for re-election now, and as the Democrat incumbent, is favored to win the primary. That race was considered "not critical" as we could either get a B- Dem or a Republican that was better.

Seems that House Repub leader Tom Cross thinks that Ms Sente might be tough to beat in the general, so he decides to throw a monkey wrench in the primary to get an easier opponent elected. He uses a Repub political front "Citizens to Change Illinois" to run a series of robo calls with the following message:

Hello this is an important voter alert.

You can trust Carol Sente to protect your right to own firearms.

Carol Sente is a member of the NRA and will be trusted to advance issues that would allow people to carry concealed weapons and reduce restrictions and regulations to buy guns.

If you care about guns, vote for Carol Sente.

Paid for by Citizens to Change Illinois.

Now, that would play well in many downstate counties, but in the 59th, it will not be well accepted, especially by Democrats.

Mr. Cross did not consult with the NRA before running the robo, and is using support of two of our signature issues to cast aspersions on a candidate. He is using what is supported in the GOP platform as a negative value for a candidate. Worse yet, Ms. Sente has never expressed an opinion on CCW nor the laws concerning buying guns. So Cross is fabricating "facts". Not only that, he's taking out a rep that can be worked with and taking a chance of getting another "F" rated Dem in that seat.

That's the kind of stuff that goes on all the time in the R party here. Too many loose cannons, no "plan" on which candidates to run and which to pass on. Way too much power vested in the "four tops" not only in legislative duties, but in the operation of the party itself.

I"ve rattled too long now, but I'll just say it's this kind of stuff that derails work done by those in Springfield that fight our fight, and drives lobbyists nuts!!

Comments Todd??

Sometimes you have to wonder who your friends are. I'll try to do this in as few as words as possible.

In the 59th legislative district in IL, mostly in Lake County, a representative named Kathy Ryg served. No friend of gun owners, she was rated "commie pink" in Illinois Carry ratings and "F" from the NRA/ISRA. She resigned for whatever reason and the local Dems appointed Carol Sente to her place. Ms. Sente was no "A" in our book, but those in the know say she was a nice lady, willing to listen and had voted our way a time or two. Told Todd that she was an NRA member. At least a C+ if not a B-. She is running for re-election now, and as the Democrat incumbent, is favored to win the primary. That race was considered "not critical" as we could either get a B- Dem or a Republican that was better.

Seems that House Repub leader Tom Cross thinks that Ms Sente might be tough to beat in the general, so he decides to throw a monkey wrench in the primary to get an easier opponent elected. He uses a Repub political front "Citizens to Change Illinois" to run a series of robo calls with the following message:

Hello this is an important voter alert.

You can trust Carol Sente to protect your right to own firearms.

Carol Sente is a member of the NRA and will be trusted to advance issues that would allow people to carry concealed weapons and reduce restrictions and regulations to buy guns.

If you care about guns, vote for Carol Sente.

Paid for by Citizens to Change Illinois.

Now, that would play well in many downstate counties, but in the 59th, it will not be well accepted, especially by Democrats.

Mr. Cross did not consult with the NRA before running the robo, and is using support of two of our signature issues to cast aspersions on a candidate. He is using what is supported in the GOP platform as a negative value for a candidate. Worse yet, Ms. Sente has never expressed an opinion on CCW nor the laws concerning buying guns. So Cross is fabricating "facts". Not only that, he's taking out a rep that can be worked with and taking a chance of getting another "F" rated Dem in that seat.

That's the kind of stuff that goes on all the time in the R party here. Too many loose cannons, no "plan" on which candidates to run and which to pass on. Way too much power vested in the "four tops" not only in legislative duties, but in the operation of the party itself.

I"ve rattled too long now, but I'll just say it's this kind of stuff that derails work done by those in Springfield that fight our fight, and drives lobbyists nuts!!

Comments Todd??

Story about this in today's Daily Herald http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=354439&src=27

Just posting one line

Sente says robocalls about her stance on guns are lies

"I am not a member of the NRA," Sente said Wednesday.

From the previously linked Daily Herald article -

"I am not a member of the NRA," Sente said Wednesday. "The misleading call is paid for by Citizens to Change Illinois, a Republican political front organization created by House Minority Leader Tom Cross," Sente said in a news release. "I support the Second Amendment, but I do not believe that regular citizens should carry concealed handguns or keep military-style assault weapons."

If she was on the fence before, she just fell off and hit the ground hard.

It's hard to type right now I'm so mad.

Cross can't run decent campaigns. So they resort to these juvenile antics. His campign guys always pee intheir pants when the subject of guns comes up in suburban races. They are awlays worried about the "mail piece" that will come becuase their guys in the collar counties vote against the daley bills. I think Coach has posted someof the stuff that has gone out in the past.

WE had what I thought was a decent suburban dem who would listen to our side and a pick up vote compared to the F Ryg was. Now the house republicans have forced her to make statements that push us in another direction. And i'm not even convinced that they can win the general election.

But the real issue is that they just mocked NRA members and gun owners and the things we believe in. You don't have to hear it to see the dripping sarcasm in the message.

Not happy about this is an understatement of the year.

Cross can't run decent campaigns. So they resort to these juvenile antics. His campign guys always pee intheir pants when the subject of guns comes up in suburban races. They are awlays worried about the "mail piece" that will come becuase their guys in the collar counties vote against the daley bills. I think Coach has posted someof the stuff that has gone out in the past.

WE had what I thought was a decent suburban dem who would listen to our side and a pick up vote compared to the F Ryg was. Now the house republicans have forced her to make statements that push us in another direction. And i'm not even convinced that they can win the general election.

But the real issue is that they just mocked NRA members and gun owners and the things we believe in. You don't have to hear it to see the dripping sarcasm in the message.

I imagine the bottom line is when a politician makes a statement such as "I'm a member of the NRA", one has to say "Prove it, let's see the membership card."

I imagine the bottom line is when a politician makes a statement such as "I'm a member of the NRA", one has to say "Prove it, let's see the membership card."

Bottom line is that our present leadership this state is either in cahoots with or scared ****less of Daley and the Machine.

Agreed that way too much power consolidated in the four tops.

Agreed that was a very stupid move for Cross from ISRA RTC support perspective. He may take us for granted.

Agreed that it sure pushed an ally to the other side. It put her in a bad position - which was what it was intended to do.

I wonder... Should RTC supporters make it a point to send her letters and support her?

Looks guys, when someone tells me they are an NRA member, I take their word for it. I don't carry my membership card with me. If I did my wallet would look like a book.

And people ususally don't volunteer that information unless they have an interest to.

I remember that night. I had someone else with me and we talked about the conversation with Rep. Sente as we were going out. To turn a seat from an F to a C or B type person would be great. Even since we didn't have to do it with an election.

I feel bad for Rep. Sente. I kept this quite and got played by a repubican operative. I don't tell everything I know that goes on. That's one of the reasons we have been sucessful at the capitol. Recently, Abolt, Don and a few others have been helpful in our Springfield efforts. As we have gotten to know each other, they have been given a peek into the world that in springfield and the maze I have to get through.

I'll bet they will confirm that it is a complicated world to deal with. And we are better off not telling all WE know or have in the works.

Excuse me know while I go beat my head with a brick.

Looks guys, when someone tells me they are an NRA member, I take their word for it. I don't carry my membership card with me. If I did my wallet would look like a book.

And people ususally don't volunteer that information unless they have an interest to.

I remember that night. I had someone else with me and we talked about the conversation with Rep. Sente as we were going out. To turn a seat from an F to a C or B type person would be great. Even since we didn't have to do it with an election.

I feel bad for Rep. Sente. I kept this quite and got played by a repubican operative. I don't tell everything I know that goes on. That's one of the reasons we have been sucessful at the capitol. Recently, Abolt, Don and a few others have been helpful in our Springfield efforts. As we have gotten to know each other, they have been given a peek into the world that in springfield and the maze I have to get through.

I'll bet they will confirm that it is a complicated world to deal with. And we are better off not telling all WE know or have in the works.

Excuse me know while I go beat my head with a brick.

If that is the case, and I do not doubt you, then you should be on the phone to the Daily Herald to dispute this!

Don't beat your head with a brick, it won't help any, and you'll only hurt yourself!

Yes, it's complicated all right. And support from us only hurts Sente (at least, she apparently thinks so) so unless we want to join Cross in bumping her off, I don't advise it. Send her a few bucks if you think that will help, but even making news about what we think of Cross's dumb move actually has the effect of hurting her (again, her judgment, not mine.)

All we can really do about it right now is stash away the memory of what Cross did for future reference.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived