..Concealed-carry proposal draws comparisons to Dodge City

PPK

PJStar

PEORIA — Dodge City was once known as a true frontier town of the Wild West, where lawlessness and gunslinging were common during the cattle drives of the late 1800s.

But the city also became an unusual reference point during the first public debate Tuesday on whether Peoria should serve as a pilot city for a statewide concealed-carry law.

"Will there be a board on the side of the building where they can hang the gun up like they do in Dodge City?" Sandberg asked during a debate on whether to include the concealed-carry provision on the city's 2010 list of legislative priorities.

Mayor Jim Ardis, a proponent of the legislation making Peoria a pilot city for a statewide concealed-carry law, replied he's never said that the Illinois law has to mirror activities of Dodge City and "didn't know if they have a place to hang a gun up at a restaurant."

Illinois is one of only two states in the United States without any kind of concealed-carry law. Wisconsin is the other.

"If the other 48 states haven't turned into the Wild, Wild West, it won't happen in Illinois, either," Ardis said.

This has been discussed so many times before on here that I deleted most of the article.

Do people like this Sandberg moron talk just to hear their heads rattle?

They have nothing to back up their claims of the dire consequences they claim will happen if LTC passes so they can only make up stories of what will happen, hoping people remember all the shoot outs that occurred on the Gunsmoke TV show, in Dodge city, where Matt Dillon was marshal and every show started with a shoot out.

I am in Ohio for the next few days, drove here through Indiana. With my shiny new Utah CCW card, I am packing. Put the clip in at the Indiana border.

I for one, have yet to be in a shootout, predicted by "whatshisname" in Peoria. Actually I would bet this trip will be totally uneventful.

My guess is that it would be the same in Peoria, if Illinois ever passes a LTC law.

Dodge City shootings were miniscule compared to Chicago.

I've found this link to be helpful in the past when talking about the "wild west". It's too long to post here, but I will cite the conclusion of the article.

"Popular wisdom says that generations of living on and conquering frontiers have made Americans a violent and lawless people. Popular wisdom is wrong. So is much scholarly literature that has drawn conclusions about violence and lawlessness from anecdotal evidence and specious assumptions.[70] The kind of crime that pervades American society today has little or no relation to the kind of lawlessness that occurred on the frontier if Aurora and Bodie are at all representative of western communities. Rob-(p.142)bery of individuals, burglary, and theft occurred only infrequently and rape seems not to have occurred at all. Racial violence and serious juvenile crime were absent also. The homicides that occurred almost invariably resulted from gunfights between willing combatants. The old, the weak, the innocent, the young, and the female were not the targets of violent men. In fact, all people in those categories would have been far safer in Aurora or Bodie than they are today in any major U.S. city. Even most smaller cities and towns are far more crime ridden and dangerous than were Aurora and Bodie.

There simply is no justification for blaming contemporary American violence and lawlessness on a frontier heritage. The time is long past for Americans to stop excusing the violence in society by trotting out that old whipping boy, the frontier. On the contrary, it would seem that the frontier, instead of representing America at its worst may have, in many respects, represented the nation at its best."

http://www.guncite.com/wild_west_myth.html

Archived