Quinn Targets Illegal Firearm Posession by Gangs

Buzzard

No need to apologize, Kurt because you're correct. Going back to the Clinton administration, under the leadership of Janet Reno, many organizations were listed as criminal enterprises by the Justice Department. ABATE is one of them. Of which I am a proud member.

Wwwwwhhhaaaatttt?

Why on earth would the Department of Justice list Abate as a criminal enterprise? To be listed, the individual or group has to have been convicted of at least two of thirty-five heinous crimes within a ten year period.

Gang member faces mandatory prison under new 'Valadez' law

A reputed gang member from the South Side has become the first person charged under a new state law that toughens penalties for gang members caught with loaded weapons.

Kirk Craan, 18, of the 1300 block of East 89th Street, was charged under the law recently signed by Gov. Pat Quinn that requires prison time for gang members convicted of possessing a loaded gun in a public area, Chicago police said.

The new law signed just last week was named after Officer Alejandro "Alex" Valadez, who was killed while on duty six months ago. Two of Valadez's alleged killers were reputed gang members on probation, police said...

I worry about the "list" of gangs that this law will be used against. Am I the only one that worries about making membership in an organization a crime? What is to stop the government from adding the Kiwanis, or Moose to the list? Sorry, but this scares me.

When the Moose, Kiwanis, Cub Scouts or AMA begin to terrorize neighborhoods, push drugs on the street and otherwise engage in criminal conspiracy for profit, they should be considered street gangs. Until then... You are probably OK. :headbang1:

No need to apologize, Kurt because you're correct. Going back to the Clinton administration, under the leadership of Janet Reno, many organizations were listed as criminal enterprises by the Justice Department. ABATE is one of them. Of which I am a proud member.

Wwwwwhhhaaaatttt?

Why on earth would the Department of Justice list Abate as a criminal enterprise? To be listed, the individual or group has to have been convicted of at least two of thirty-five heinous crimes within a ten year period.

Don't ask me, ask Janet Reno.

She was a bit "heavy handed", you know.

Gang member faces mandatory prison under new 'Valadez' law

A reputed gang member from the South Side has become the first person charged under a new state law that toughens penalties for gang members caught with loaded weapons.

Kirk Craan, 18, of the 1300 block of East 89th Street, was charged under the law recently signed by Gov. Pat Quinn that requires prison time for gang members convicted of possessing a loaded gun in a public area, Chicago police said.

The new law signed just last week was named after Officer Alejandro "Alex" Valadez, who was killed while on duty six months ago. Two of Valadez's alleged killers were reputed gang members on probation, police said...

You can bet the police were given the order to find someone to charge with this law for publicity. Of course, finding someone was probably a piece of cake.

I was in the fight with ABATE and the DOJ. The DOJ was trying to define motorcycle street gang in such broad terms as to include groups like ABATE.

We won in the end. But this bill is not drafted that braodly in my eyes.

Thanks, Todd. I don't think Bud believed me.

I got the same reaction from Rep. Jim Sacia, who's a member of ABATE, and a retired twenty some year FBI man.

Wwwwwhhhaaaatttt?

Don't ask me, ask Janet Reno.

She was a bit "heavy handed", you know.

This discussion reminds me of a certain Napalitano/Homeland Security bit about the "group" of people who have bumper stickers on their vehicles that do not support either major political party......

Archived