Quinn Targets Illegal Firearm Posession by Gangs

Buzzard

Governor Quinn Targets Illegal Firearm Posession by Gang Members

Thursday, Dec 3, 2009 @10:41am CST

mystateline.com

Governor Pat Quinn today signed a bill into law that will require prison time for street gang members convicted of possessing a loaded gun in a public area. This new law strengthens the current law which rules that gang members in possession of a loaded gun can be sentenced to probation.

“Public safety and crime prevention are of paramount importance to the law-abiding people of Illinois,” said Governor Quinn. “This new law I’m signing puts gang members on notice: If they get caught carrying a loaded gun in public, they will go to prison.”

The law was drafted and introduced by Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez and is named in honor of Chicago Police Officer Alejandro “Alex” Valadez, who was shot and killed on June 1, 2009 when he was responding to a call of shots fired in Chicago’s Englewood community. Officer Valadez was struck down by shots fired from a passing vehicle occupied by three suspected gang members. One of the three men charged in his murder was on probation for aggravated unlawful use of a weapon at the time Officer Valadez was killed.

“This new law will be an extremely important tool for police and prosecutors in the battle against gang and gun violence in our communities,” said State’s Attorney Alvarez. “It is our honor to name this bill in the memory of Officer Valadez, who made the ultimate sacrifice in his service to the citizens of Chicago.”

House Bill 4124 amends the Criminal Code of 1961 and the Unified Code of Corrections to create the non-probationable, class two felony offense of “unlawful possession of a firearm by a street gang member.” The offense occurs when street gang members unlawfully possess a firearm and ammunition in the areas where gang violence is most likely to occur – the streets, sidewalks and alleys of Illinois’ urban areas. Conviction under the new law requires a prison sentence of three to ten years.

“This legislation is grounded in common sense and helps us take a significant step forward in the fight against gangs, guns and drugs. It sends a message to gang bangers that the people of Illinois are committed to stand up to their violent ways,” said Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley.

The bill was sponsored by Rep. Edward Acevedo (D-Chicago) and Sen. Antonio Munoz (D-Chicago) and is effective immediately.

The bill signing took place at the Chicago Police Department’s Seventh District Headquarters where Officer Valadez was based.

Thursday, Dec 3, 2009 @10:41am CST

mystateline.com

Governor Pat Quinn today signed a bill into law that will require prison time for street gang members convicted of possessing a loaded gun in a public area. This new law strengthens the current law which rules that gang members in possession of a loaded gun can be sentenced to probation.

“Public safety and crime prevention are of paramount importance to the law-abiding people of Illinois,” said Governor Quinn. “This new law I’m signing puts gang members on notice: If they get caught carrying a loaded gun in public, they will go to prison.”

The law was drafted and introduced by Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez and is named in honor of Chicago Police Officer Alejandro “Alex” Valadez, who was shot and killed on June 1, 2009 when he was responding to a call of shots fired in Chicago’s Englewood community. Officer Valadez was struck down by shots fired from a passing vehicle occupied by three suspected gang members. One of the three men charged in his murder was on probation for aggravated unlawful use of a weapon at the time Officer Valadez was killed.

“This new law will be an extremely important tool for police and prosecutors in the battle against gang and gun violence in our communities,” said State’s Attorney Alvarez. “It is our honor to name this bill in the memory of Officer Valadez, who made the ultimate sacrifice in his service to the citizens of Chicago.”

House Bill 4124 amends the Criminal Code of 1961 and the Unified Code of Corrections to create the non-probationable, class two felony offense of “unlawful possession of a firearm by a street gang member.” The offense occurs when street gang members unlawfully possess a firearm and ammunition in the areas where gang violence is most likely to occur – the streets, sidewalks and alleys of Illinois’ urban areas. Conviction under the new law requires a prison sentence of three to ten years.

“This legislation is grounded in common sense and helps us take a significant step forward in the fight against gangs, guns and drugs. It sends a message to gang bangers that the people of Illinois are committed to stand up to their violent ways,” said Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley.

The bill was sponsored by Rep. Edward Acevedo (D-Chicago) and Sen. Antonio Munoz (D-Chicago) and is effective immediately.

The bill signing took place at the Chicago Police Department’s Seventh District Headquarters where Officer Valadez was based.

I'd be p***** if I were his family. Why did it take another murdered LEO to have this put in place. Long overdue law.

OOoooooo....I bet they REALLY start obeying the law now!!

An afterthought: Might we now see more loaded guns being tossed away in alleys and backyards so they can avoid this added charge?

Question: Does it apply to gang members only or to anyone? How do they know what is a bona fide gang, who is in that gang, and how do they prove it when arresting a suspect?

How do they define "street gang member." It's laws like this that get me nervous.

How long till guys that get together and shoot on the weekends wearing camo are now considered a street gang if the government wants to shut them down?

My thoughts exactly. Without defining gang member they could apply it to anyone. I didn't research it before my reply, so maybe they do define gang member somewhere, such as having gang tats or something.

How do they define "street gang member." It's laws like this that get me nervous.

How long till guys that get together and shoot on the weekends wearing camo are now considered a street gang if the government wants to shut them down?

There has been a law on the books for quite some time that defines gang. There has also been an enhanced penalty for possession of firearms by a gang member but it is rarely used because it was a class A misdemeanor.

(740 ILCS 147/) Illinois Streetgang Terrorism Omnibus Prevention Act.

"Streetgang" or "gang" or "organized gang" or "criminal street gang" means any combination, confederation, alliance, network, conspiracy, understanding, or other similar conjoining, in law or in fact, of 3 or more persons with an established hierarchy that, through its membership or through the agency of any member engages in a course or pattern of criminal activity.

King Daley and his cronies appear to qualify.

Fine. Well. Good. But one thing the esteemed quoted ones below WON'T tell us is that they have no money, space, or manpower to put and keep all these bangers in jail ...

Much of me thinks this kind of thing is just more "let's sound tough on crime" rather than being tough on criminals. What it really translates to is "let's get these guys for what they might do, instead of what they do." What this is really about is "We really want to ban guns, and we whine about crime to do so. So lest we look like we are full of ****, let's act like we are tough on crime and pass this, because our anti-gun bills are going nowhere."

I know that sounds a bit cynical ... but with Chicago's record of letting violent felons run the streets with impunity, and with Chicago's record of getting tough on guns instead of getting tough on criminals, I'd say my skepticism is well-placed. This new law is 95% politics and 5% policy.

“This new law will be an extremely important tool for police and prosecutors in the battle against gang and gun violence in our communities,” said State’s Attorney Alvarez.

“This legislation is grounded in common sense and helps us take a significant step forward in the fight against gangs, guns and drugs,” said Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley.

The bill was sponsored by Rep. Edward Acevedo (D-Chicago) and Sen. Antonio Munoz (D-Chicago) ...

With all respect due to them ... Anita, Richie, Fast Eddie, and Antonio are all full of ****.

Alright, how about this. We wait several months, or a year, then write letters, op-eds, or post comments to news stories asking how many arrests and convictions have been made.

If it's zero, their game is up. It's not a lack of laws, it's a lack of enforcement.

You go on the web and look at the gang membership list.

Didn't they pass a law requiring gang bangers to publish thier membership lists and update them regularyl? :headbang1:

Alright, how about this. We wait several months, or a year, then write letters, op-eds, or post comments to news stories asking how many arrests and convictions have been made.

If it's zero, their game is up. It's not a lack of laws, it's a lack of enforcement.

You're serious?

This law will be LONG forgotten by then ... and fast Eddie, Antonio, Alvarez, and Daley will be pushing some other, new law, in order to take a significant step forward in the fight against gangs, guns and drugs.

But your idea is good ... it will take "the people" holding the lawmakers accountable for the efficacy of their laws. Most of the time, people are happy to watch football, drink beer, or speculate on Tiger Woods' private life. And you know that the lawmakers care only about tomorrow.

You're serious?

This law will be LONG forgotten by then ... and fast Eddie, Antonio, Alvarez, and Daley will be pushing some other, new law, in order to take a significant step forward in the fight against gangs, guns and drugs.

But your idea is good ... it will take "the people" holding the lawmakers accountable for the efficacy of their laws. Most of the time, people are happy to watch football, drink beer, or speculate on Tiger Woods' private life. And you know that the lawmakers care only about tomorrow.

Yes, I was being serious. We could wait until just before SCOTUS renders a decision on McDonald, or wait until they propose another law infringing on the citizens and then ask....

"Say!....How's that law on 'Illegal Firearm Posession by Gang Members' workin' out?"

If they haven't made an arrest we can ask...

"Did the gangs surrender their guns? Or did they up and move out to the country?"

If it's being challenged by an appeal we can say...

"Gee...who writes these laws for Chicago anyway?"

I don't see how we can lose!

Yes, I was being serious. We could wait until just before SCOTUS renders a decision on McDonald, or wait until they propose another law infringing on the citizens and then ask....

"Say!....How's that law on 'Illegal Firearm Posession by Gang Members' workin' out?"

"Did the gangs surrender their guns? Or did they up and move out to the country?"

Now you are getting into the realm of the kind of ammunition that Todd Vandermyde uses with those politicos.

Nothing like pulling that information on Fast Eddie as he proposed yet another gun control law ... say Eddie ... has anyone even been prosecuted on X, Y, or Z law you were pushing in the past?

The more things change the more things don't change. I remembered this and found it again. Do they enforce this? Will they enforce Quinns. You can right all the laws you want but it will not change a thing unless ENFORCEMENT IS MADE.

Posted: Thursday, 03 September 2009 10:45PM

Caught with a gun, five days in jail

Steve Miller Reporting

CHICAGO (WBBM) -- A Chicago city council committee has voted to approve a mandatory five-day jail sentence for anybody caught with an illegal gun.

The five days in jail would be for the first offense: Caught with an unauthorized gun in the city of Chicago.

The proposal was approved by the city council police and fire committee at the insistence of some West Side aldermen, including committee chairman Alderman Isaac Carothers.

Carothers says Chicago talks tough on guns - but it's nothing compared to penalties imposed in other cities like New York.

"And we say we are hard on guns and drugs and gangs. And yet we don't have any laws in this state or in this city that says if you're caught with an illegal weapon, you're going to get some mandatory time. Even if it's one day."

A couple of aldermen objected - saying the ordinance would penalize shop owners who carry a gun for protection.

Representatives from the city law department were questioned about how effective the ordinance would be, since most gun cases end up as felonies - and that takes them out of the city's jurisdiction.

The proposal is expected before the full city council next week.

Handguns are prohibited in the city of Chicago.

Shotguns and rifles may be kept in Chicago if they are registered.

For the record, I recall Alvarez in a radio interview several months ago saying she did not believe in private ownership of firearms.

Yesterday WLS had a clip on her where they asked her how gangbangers can be identified. She said it will be easy because of the way they dress, colors, and hand signals. I have to think these hopeless liberals probably think they are seriously going to improve things. Let's check on progress next year.

A couple of aldermen objected - saying the ordinance would penalize shop owners who carry a gun for protection.

See that...a couple of alderman know how the city really works. A couple of alderman know that average citizens need handguns to protect themselves. Now if they would only open their mouths more.

Now you are getting into the realm of the kind of ammunition that Todd Vandermyde uses with those politicos.

Nothing like pulling that information on Fast Eddie as he proposed yet another gun control law ... say Eddie ... has anyone even been prosecuted on X, Y, or Z law you were pushing in the past?

I know that in the past - during debate of a new bill at the capital, if a legislater started grandstanding and sighting questionable studies that no one had ever heard of, Todd would ask that legislater for a copy of that particular study. If the speaker couldn't produce one, Todd would ask for the name of the studies' author. If they couldn't name the author it not only called into question the studies' findings, it also made it possible that no such study existed.

I think we need to start holding these officials accountable for the laws they have passed and are not being enforced, before they can pass more laws that are not needed or are badly written. The only challenge we may have is finding a venue to voice our concerns. A concentrated media blitz just may work.

This law will never be enforced in Chicago against actual gang members, certainly not in any numbers.

That is because the gangs have become part of the Daley crime family. Gang members routinely extort political contributions from local businesses, and at least 3 city council members are known gang members, and others have very close gang ties.

This law will never be enforced in Chicago against actual gang members, certainly not in any numbers.

That is because the gangs have become part of the Daley crime family. Gang members routinely extort political contributions from local businesses, and at least 3 city council members are known gang members, and others have very close gang ties.

AMEN!!

If that becomes the case, then the next time a Chicago politician wants to pass another gun control law, I want you to write a letter to the Tribune and another to the Sun Times asking how many gang members have been prosecuted under the Illinois Streetgang Terrorism Omnibus Prevention Act.

And when you see an article on a web page concerning "gun deaths" I'd like you to respond with the same question. We now obviously have the kind of laws we need which targets not the gun, but the lawless individual pulling the trigger. Now let's make them use these laws.

If that becomes the case, then the next time a Chicago politician wants to pass another gun control law, I want you to write a letter to the Tribune and another to the Sun Times asking how many gang members have been prosecuted under the Illinois Streetgang Terrorism Omnibus Prevention Act.

And when you see an article on a web page concerning "gun deaths" I'd like you to respond with the same question. We now obviously have the kind of laws we need which targets not the gun, but the lawless individual pulling the trigger. Now let's make them use these laws.

We need to archive this, and this thread, somewhere here on IC. This is just the thing that we have to remember and recall ... next time legislators wish to diminish our rights in the name of crime control.

Vandermyde ... this is good for your files, too!

For the record, I recall Alvarez in a radio interview several months ago saying she did not believe in private ownership of firearms.

Yesterday WLS had a clip on her where they asked her how gangbangers can be identified. She said it will be easy because of the way they dress, colors, and hand signals. I have to think these hopeless liberals probably think they are seriously going to improve things. Let's check on progress next year.

heres a link to a 30 minute video with Alverez.

The firearms statement is @ the last 5 mins of the interview in the interview Its very clear cut and damming. Guns for no one, 2nd amendment bad....

A few weeks ago I attended a presentation from Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart. Fairly average presentation about identity theft and holiday safety and other subjects.

There was a gang activity presentation and the speaker used references in his presentation from this website: http://www.chicagogangs.org/

One comment that I thought was memorable was "the Sheriffs dept really loves U-Tube, Facebook, Myspace and other such media outlets" . They use posted pictures and video's in court when the innocent school kids claim no gang affiliation yet photographic evidence proves otherwise.

But I envision that the ACLU will fight the gang gun possession law in court as they did when years back Chicago attempted to restrict street corner gatherings over a certain number of people allowing the police to investigate and disrupt gangs openly and freely gathering on the streets. The law got tossed due to the ACLU's involvement.

It does not matter what law is written. The JUDGES will dictate law from the bench. Like in the past, prison overcrowding will be the reason the law can not be imposed on the gang banger. There ust isn't any place to put him except back on the street.

mac

i always get a laff out of comments like this

,” said Governor Quinn. “This new law I’m signing puts gang members on notice: If they get caught carrying a loaded gun in public, they will go to prison.”

makes it sound like a game "IF" they get caught

or better yet how about an unloaded gun ??

but more important

why does a police officer ( or any one ) have to die to get a firearms law enforced ??

Guys --

This was a bill we were tracking. The definition they used is one that has been tesated and held up in court not to violate the freedom of acssociation.

The bill souinds good on paper. It looks good in a press release. BUT, and there is a big BUT, they have to prove up all the elements of the gang affiliation and such. The inside line by other prosecutors was that if they saw 10 of these convictions come out of Cook County they would be amazed.

We watched and went thumnbs down on another version because of loose definitions. But we have to be careful about how we attack certain bills. Semi-auto bans are easy as gun bans even if they call them so called assualt weapons. But opposing bills that on their face target gangmebers with guns is a bit of a PR headache.

so we worked to make sure the bill did not affect the average person like us. I will say I think it still has some conitutional defects but that is a story for another day.

I would not worry about this bill. If you think all they want is convictions, this isn't the law they will go after.

From the Tribune. We'll see if they can get a conviction on it, but why was this guy able to get out in the first place? Now maybe the legislature can work on some common sense gun laws, like right to carry so we may be able to effectively defend ourselves from individuals such as these.

Gang member faces mandatory prison under new 'Valadez' law

December 6, 2009 8:46 PM | 22 Comments

A reputed gang member from the South Side has become the first person charged under a new state law that toughens penalties for gang members caught with loaded weapons.

Kirk Craan, 18, of the 1300 block of East 89th Street, was charged under the law recently signed by Gov. Pat Quinn that requires prison time for gang members convicted of possessing a loaded gun in a public area, Chicago police said.

The new law signed just last week was named after Officer Alejandro "Alex" Valadez, who was killed while on duty six months ago. Two of Valadez's alleged killers were reputed gang members on probation, police said.

Police arrested Craan at about 1 p.m. Saturday near the 9200 block of South Blackstone Avenue after he exited an alley and ran from officers. Officers recovered a handgun and ammunition from Craan during a pat-down, police said in a news release.

Craan, who has a pending criminal case on armed robbery, vehicular hijacking and unlawful restraint charges, was charged with unlawful use of a weapon, possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number, and possession of ammunition without a valid firearms owner identification card.

I worry about the "list" of gangs that this law will be used against. Am I the only one that worries about making membership in an organization a crime? What is to stop the government from adding the Kiwanis, or Moose to the list? Sorry, but this scares me.

No need to apologize, Kurt because you're correct. Going back to the Clinton administration, under the leadership of Janet Reno, many organizations were listed as criminal enterprises by the Justice Department. ABATE is one of them. Of which I am a proud member.

Archived