Dennis Reboletti's opponent getting Brady Bunch help

45superman

Rep. Dennis Reboletti has helped us before, and taken some heat for it.

The Brady Bunch hasn't forgiven him, and is endorsing his opponent.

Brady Campaign Backs Gary Nowak:

"He'll Fight To Keep Dangerous Weapons

Out Of The Hands Of Dangerous People"

Washington, D.C. - Gary Nowak, the Democratic candidate for Illinois State House District 46, today received the endorsement of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and its network of Illinois Million Mom March Chapters. The Brady Campaign is the nation’s leading gun violence prevention organization.

“Gary Nowak recognizes that Illinois is facing a gun violence epidemic,” said Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. “He is a banker and former U.S. Marine who served his country honorably. He brings a problem-solving approach to issues, and he’ll work hard to keep dangerous weapons out of the hands of dangerous people.”

Nowak’s opponent, Dennis Reboletti, has repeatedly sided with the gun lobby and has opposed strengthening Illinois gun laws. Rep. Reboletti cast a “no” vote on HB 758 earlier this year that would have extended Brady background checks to all handgun purchasers. The bill lost by two votes. Mr. Nowak has pledged to support the legislation. The Brady Campaign sent postcards to constituents in the 46th district urging them to call Rep. Reboletti to express their outrage regarding his vote against the bill. The Brady Campaign plans to let voters know about his “no” vote on HB 758 before the November elections.

“The flood of illegal weapons has cost too many lives in Chicago and surrounding suburbs. Voting irresponsibly also has consequences. We need to send legislators home after they fail to support sensible gun laws. Rep. Reboletti must go and we must elect Gary Nowak,” said Barbara McKee, President of the Illinois Million Mom March Chapters.

The 46th House District is one of the most competitive districts in Illinois. It includes the cities of Addison, Bensenville, Elmhurst, Itasca, Lombard, Villa Park and Wood Dale.

To find out more about where state and Federal candidates for elected office stand on the gun issue, go to the Brady Campaign’s “Your Vote Matters” Elections web guide at http://www.bradycampaign.org/elections/.

If we don't help him out, legislators have no incentive to help us out.

Any volunteers in his area?

Yeah Kurt I am here and have been spreading the word. I am going to leave a message for Mr. Roboletti's opponent a message stating that the people of DuPage county do not need to pay for the crimes of Chicago. I have given my support to Mr.Reboletti 100% and will continue to do so and spread the word. THanks for the heads up.

Len

well here,s some more info on this as well.

<H2 class=date-header>Thursday, September 11, 2008</H2><H3 class="post-title entry-title"><A href="http://armedandsafe.blogspot.com/2008/09/brady-campaign-eyes-another-illinois.html">Brady Campaign eyes another Illinois General Assembly seat </H3>

I've been trying to get away from being categorized as a specifically Illinois gun rights advocacy blog, but I should probably just learn to accept the fact that that's, to some degree, what this is. I live (unfortunately) in Illinois, and thus can't really help but be smacked upside the head with the forcible citizen disarmament tyranny that characterizes this state, and that being the case, I'm gonna talk about it.

So, although I've pretty much avoided Illinois-specific politics for a while, today I feel compelled to talk about a Brady Campaign endorsed candidate for the Illinois House. Gary Nowak has received the Brady Campaign's endorsement, as a candidate who will "Fight To Keep Dangerous Weapons Out Of The Hands Of Dangerous People."

I have few problems with that, right from the get-go. First, just about anything can be used as a weapon, including a bikini top. Second, once something becomes a weapon, it is--pretty much by definition--"dangerous." A "non-dangerous" weapon is basically no weapon at all (as Texas Ranger Charlie Miller would no doubt have agreed).

Therefore, a promise to "fight to keep dangerous weapons out of the hands of dangerous people" is basically a promise to keep everything out of the hands of "dangerous people"--which sounds more than a little unlikely. Then, there's the little problem of defining "dangerous people," and the citizen disarmament advocates' tendency to approach that problem by making everyone's acquisition of firearms more difficult, apparently on the grounds that we must assume that everyone is a "dangerous person," until they can prove otherwise. "They hate us because we're free," indeed.

Nowak's opponent is incumbent Representative Dennis Reboletti, who most recently incurred the Brady Campaign's wrath, and earned freedom loving Illinoisans' (yes, there are a few of us) gratitude, by voting against HB 758, which would have outlawed private handgun sales in Illinois. (From the Nowak endorsement announcement):

Nowak’s opponent, Dennis Reboletti, has repeatedly sided with the gun lobby and has opposed strengthening Illinois gun laws. Rep. Reboletti cast a “no” vote on HB 758 earlier this year that would have extended Brady background checks to all handgun purchasers. The bill lost by two votes. Mr. Nowak has pledged to support the legislation. The Brady Campaign sent postcards to constituents in the 46th district urging them to call Rep. Reboletti to express their outrage regarding his vote against the bill. The Brady Campaign plans to let voters know about his “no” vote on HB 758 before the November elections.

Rep. Reboletti stood up for Illinois gun owners, and for freedom, and the citizen disarmament advocates want to punish him for doing so. If we allow that strategy to work, we'll lose the few friends we have in the General Assembly.

As for Nowak, what do we know about him, aside from what the Brady Bunch tells us? Nothing about guns here. I guess we don't know much about him at all:

Gary Nowak repeatedly refused to provide any responses to citizens on the issues through the 2008 Political Courage Test when asked to do so by national leaders of the political parties, prominent members of the media, Project Vote Smart President Richard Kimball, and Project Vote Smart staff.

On second thought, we know the Brady Campaign likes him, and that he seems to be lacking in political courage. I think I know enough.

By the way, the Brady Bunch is also running a similar campaign for a candidate for the 15th District seat of the California General Assembly, Joan Buchanan. I know nothing about California politics, or Buchanan's opponent, the incumbent Representative Guy Houson, but I can't help but imagine that California's dire environment for freedom would be made even worse by the election of another Brady Bunch endorsed candidate.

What I would like to see is for a Brady Campaign endorsement to be the kiss of death for a candidate. Helmke and Co. are already scrambling for relevance, but I would like to see them become political pariahs.

http://armedandsafe.blogspot.com/2008/09/b...r-illinois.html

Everyone knows that this blog that raiven quoted belongs to our own 45Superman, right?

Now they do MikeW!! Good job!!

Just in case anybody missed it, here's where .45Superman hangs out Armed and Safe

There you go .45, now your hidey hole is blown too!!!!!!

Good post on the blog by the way!!

Tim

• 1 month later...

They're really pulling out all the stops against Rep. Reboletti.

Brady Campaign Announces Plans

To Hold Legislators Accountable For Votes

Chicago, IL - The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence today announced they are targeting state legislators who voted against sensible gun laws and electing candidates who will work to pass sensible gun laws to keep dangerous weapons out of the hands of dangerous people.

Brian Malte of the Brady Campaign was joined by Chicago 2nd Ward Alderman Bob Fioretti, 33rd Ward Alderman Richard F. Mell, gun violence survivor Willie Williams and Cook County State’s Attorney Richard A. Devine at Crane High School in Chicago to announce plans for holding Illinois state legislators accountable on the gun issue in this year’s elections.

The Brady Campaign announced that its first target for defeat is Rep. Dennis Reboletti in State House District 46 who voted “no” on the Brady Campaign’s top legislative priority to require Brady criminal background checks on each handgun sold. The Brady Campaign is targeting his district with an initial 10,000-piece mailing and phone call campaign to voters in his district. The 10,000 postcards were mailed to voters today. The Brady Campaign has endorsed Reboletti’s opponent, Gary Nowak.

Speakers at the event spoke of the need to have accountability from legislators in order to enact stronger gun laws at the state level to help stop the gun violence plaguing Chicago and other communities. “In just this last week, a 13-year-old boy and a 17-year-old girl were killed by gun violence on our city's streets,” said Richard A. Devine, Cook County State's Attorney. “Earlier this year an Elmhurst woman was stalked and shot to death. Enacting a state law to require criminal background checks on each handgun purchase will give us another tool to limit the number of guns on our streets and stem this carnage in our community."

"The lack of stronger statewide gun laws has contributed greatly to the seemingly endless supply of illegal guns in Chicago,” said Alderman Richard F. Mell of Chicago’s 33rd Ward. “The City of Chicago is calling on our elected officials to enact strong state gun laws to stop illegal gun trafficking and to stop the gun violence."

"The gun violence in Chicago must stop. We are tired of seeing our children being shot and killed and we need solutions,” said Alderman Bob Fioretti of Chicago’s 2nd Ward. “We must hold accountable those legislators who are standing in the way of enacting strong state gun laws.”

The Brady Campaign has been raising funds to target legislators who voted against sensible gun laws in the last session of the Illinois legislature. In particular, the Brady Campaign is targeting legislators in the Chicago suburbs who voted against HB 758, sponsored by Rep. Harry Osterman, which would have extended Brady criminal background checks to all handgun purchasers. The bill lost by two votes last April.

"Too many people are sitting on the sidelines afraid to get involved,” said Willie Williams of the Willie Williams III Youth Foundation. “We need everyone to stand up and stop the guns from coming into our neighborhoods. Without our youth, there is no future."

The Brady Campaign will be announcing other expenditures in the coming days.

To see the Brady Campaign’s other endorsements in Illinois, and see where the Federal candidates for elected office stand on the gun issue, go to the Brady Campaign’s “Your Vote Matters” Elections web guide at http://www.bradycampaign.org/elections/.

The more effort they put into removing him from office, the more I want him to win.

It's funny that one of the main reasons that bill failed was because there's already a universal check in the form of the FOID.

The same thing that increases IL's grade on the Brady gun ban chart.

One wonders how much they'll be able to focus on other candidates due to their lack of funding or if this is their major push.

We should also not Alderman Mell's support of this after he wrote his own personal exemption to the Chicago gun registration.

My take here:

http://daysofourtrailers.blogspot.com/2008...gn-on-limp.html

I just put one up, too, when the GunGuys email came out.

I'm sending Reboletti some cash with a note that he's getting it because of the stand he took on that bill and because anyone the Brady Bunch hates this much has to be doing something right.

Last time, the other target was Sandy Cole, but she's running unopposed. I would expect them to hit some others, though, so keep an eye out.

If we all sent a little scratch with a note, it would make an impact, I think.

I'm also stressing the comparison of the damage the Brady people can do with their disapproval, as compared to the good the NRA can do with its endorsement. I think the combination of the two will make the contrast even more stark. Don't forget that Brady can't make their endorsements in a vacuum--the NRA endorsed Reboletti before the Brady started its mailing campaign, and I figure that will have a much greater impact. Like taking a weak jab as you land a perfect left hook.

• 3 weeks later...
The Brady's plan backfired. We need to let Dennis Reboletti know that we supported him because he voted against HB 758. :thumbsup:

State House - District 46 - General

87 of 87 Precincts Reporting - 100%

Name Party Votes Vote %

Reboletti, Dennis (i) GOP 20,047 51%

Nowak, Gary Dem 19,076 49%

That's some good news, but wow - a tight margin.

Archived