ISRA Files Lawsuit Against City of Chicago

Molly B.

The Illinois State Rifle Association, in light of the U.S. Supreme Court ruling affirming the Second Amendment right of individuals to keep and bear arms, filed a lawsuit against the city of Chicago, IL this morning.

More details will be forthcoming.

It just keeps getting better and better!

(ISRA webmaster understandably indisposed - this announcement will be on the ISRA website as soon as possible)

Howdy,

ISRA has already filed an injuction to stop the Crook County AWB. Please join the ISRA, if you haven't. We need as many member as possible. It's going to be a costly, uphill battle. I have been in for over 10 years, let me tell you it was costly, but the reward......SWEET!.

I think all member's of this forum should send a fax to 312-744-8045. It should be a copy of the rally info sheet and address it to Mayor Daley. I would like to see him $hitting in his pants when he see 100,000 people at the Thompson Center. I have read the secondcitycop blog, and they're bringing families there. I have posted flyers in church, Dominicks, Jewel, etc. I have sent a flyer to Rob Johnson of CBS2.

see ya at the Rally-I'll be wearing my IGOLD hat and my Flag Polo.

John Krzos

Tincan Sailor

Trusty Shellback

Vietnam 65-66

My 1911 beats a 911 call!

Howdy,

ISRA has already filed an injuction to stop the Crook County AWB. Please join the ISRA, if you haven't. We need as many member as possible. It's going to be a costly, uphill battle. I have been in for over 10 years, let me tell you it was costly, but the reward......SWEET!.

I think all member's of this forum should send a fax to 312-744-8045. It should be a copy of the rally info sheet and address it to Mayor Daley. I would like to see him $hitting in his pants when he see 100,000 people at the Thompson Center. I have read the secondcitycop blog, and they're bringing families there. I have posted flyers in church, Dominicks, Jewel, etc. I have sent a flyer to Rob Johnson of CBS2.

see ya at the Rally-I'll be wearing my IGOLD hat and my Flag Polo.

John Krzos

Tincan Sailor

Trusty Shellback

Vietnam 65-66

My 1911 beats a 911 call!

That fax belongs to the mayors office? I'll definitely fax him the rally sheet tonight then!!! :headbang1:

I will also look into how to join the ISRA.

The interesting part is, i'm leaving FL for IL on Sunday.

Confirmation:

"That challenge was not long in coming. Hours after the high court's ruling was made public Thursday, the Second Amendment Foundation and the Illinois State Rifle Association sued the city and the mayor in an effort to overturn Chicago's quarter-century ban on handguns."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/c...0,3522044.story

Confirmation:

"That challenge was not long in coming. Hours after the high court's ruling was made public Thursday, the Second Amendment Foundation and the Illinois State Rifle Association sued the city and the mayor in an effort to overturn Chicago's quarter-century ban on handguns."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/c...0,3522044.story

:headbang1: :headbang1: :clap:

Why doesn't he just say he wet his pants instead?

Come on Dick, just tell us about that .38 we've heard that you carry and your 1911 collection we've heard rumors about. Just wonder if you keep that collection at home or at your house in Michigan? We already know about your son using a shotgun you keep there to ward off some unwanted guests at his underage drinking party a few years back :headbang1:

From the Tribune story:

"

The court notes that it is not required to consider whether the 2nd Amendment also applies to state and local government, and therefore it does not consider that question," Solomon said. "The court had previously held on three occasions the 2nd Amendment does not apply to state and local government, and it does not reconsider or even address that issue in this opinion."

What planet do these people populate?

They will fight this losing battle for years knowing full well that it will cost millions of taxpayer dollars.. and they just don't care.

I gotta move out of this state .

Nothing is mentioned anywhere about suing Daley(and Blago) personally. They aree probably immune, but does anyone know for sure? I would be happy to join a class action suit against these criminals.

They can't sure Daley personally. This ordinance was passed by the chicago city council so they need to sue the city. Heller didn't sue the mayor of D.C, he sued the city and won.

This is what I have been waiting for. I am going to donate on a regular basis to the ISRA and NRA, I have slowed a bit in the last year in disgust that they don't do anything about Illinois.. now that they are I am going to throw some cash at them to help things along. btw, I extended a family membership 3 years also in the ISRA

CMR

This is what I have been waiting for. I am going to donate on a regular basis to the ISRA and NRA, I have slowed a bit in the last year in disgust that they don't do anything about Illinois.. now that they are I am going to throw some cash at them to help things along. btw, I extended a family membership 3 years also in the ISRA

CMR

A good way to start would be helping the ISRA and IlllinoisCarry.com with the cost of the rally!

https://secure.cnchost.com/isra.org/catalog...;products_id=60

More on the lawsuit, from the Trib:

Gun advocates: City's gun ban won't hold up

CHICAGO - Mayor Richard Daley and gun control advocates have lined up predicting more innocent lives lost if the city's handgun ban is overturned, but David Sigale isn't buying it.

"I don't know for whom the gun ban has made the city safer," said Sigale, one of the attorneys who filed a lawsuit to overturn Chicago's 26-year-old handgun ban just hours after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down Washington, D.C.'s gun ban. "It doesn't seem like the gun ban has made the regular citizen safer."

Sigale will have his chance to make his argument in a Chicago federal court, as the lawsuit he helped file on behalf of four individuals and two pro-gun groups puts Chicago at the center of the fight over handgun bans. So will the National Rifle Association, which filed a similar lawsuit in federal court in Chicago Friday and announced they filed comparable lawsuits against the suburbs of Morton Grove, Evanston and Oak Park.

Perhaps nowhere in the country is the issue of guns more emotional than Chicago. That was evident Thursday when a livid Daley, a longtime advocate of stringent gun control, blasted the ruling as "frightening," and parents of murdered children wondered if lifting the city's ban would put kids' and police officers' lives at risk.

And on Friday, they continued to argue in favor of Chicago's ban that city officials say now faces its greatest challenge in its 26-year history.

Police department spokeswoman Monique Bond said if more residents have guns it could make the officers' work that much more dangerous.

For example, she said, officers might find themselves confronted with armed residents as they respond to domestic calls. Or they could be mistaken for criminals by frightened homeowners.

"Then you have the weapons in the home that children get hold of," she said.

Bond also said that the fact that only 74 people were arrested last year and 83 the year before for violating the city's gun ban does not mean it's largely symbolic.

The department seized more than 13,000 guns in each of the last two years and made thousands of arrests for the state charge of unlawful use of a weapon -- evidence, said Bond, that the department does take gun violations seriously.

The ordinance carries a possible fine if violated, said Jennifer Hoyle, spokeswoman for the city's law department.

"We charge people with the most serious offense available," Hoyle said.

Pat Camden, a former spokesman for the Chicago police department who also spent nearly 30 years as an officer, said if the ban is overturned it will almost immediately put more guns into the hands of criminals.

"The problem becomes the law-abiding citizen buying a gun," he said. "He has that gun in the house for protection and is burglarized and now that gun is on the street."

Willie Cochran, a Chicago city councilman who spent more than a quarter century as a city police officer, agreed. And, added Cochran, a gun in the home simply increases the possibility that innocuous situations will turn deadly.

"Law-abiding people who have guns and don't understand how to use them will carelessly use a gun," he said. "With that gun not being available a different action would have been taken. But with a gun, now we have some tragedies."

Gun rights advocates say those arguments don't make much sense.

"If you are a criminal ... are you going to break into a home you know is unarmed or break into a home where people might be armed?" Sigale asked.

Besides, he said, criminals certainly have shown they can get their hands on guns without breaking into homes to get them.

"I don't claim to know the criminal mind, but I don't see a lot of criminals licking their chops at the thought the gun ban might be overturned because there will be a whole new source of weapons available to them," he said.

And even if they were, John Boch said that is not his or any other law abiding citizen's responsibility.

"I feel no responsibility of what a criminal does after he victimizes me," said Boch, a gun-rights activist in Illinois, comparing the theft of a gun subsequently used in a crime to the theft of his car used in a drive-by shooting or hit-and-run accident.

"I'm the victim here," he said.

Sigale said he believes the fight over the city's gun ban will be a lengthy one, perhaps lasting years.

That is bad news to Cochran, who had hoped to make the city's ban tougher, perhaps adding a provision requiring manufacturers to put tracking devices in guns like the ones in cell phones and cars.

Now, he said, the city will devote its efforts to simply preventing the existing handgun ordinance from being overturned.

Jeez--that "tracking devices" thing might be even worse than so-called "smart guns."

By the way, Mr. Boch did very well, I thought.

Then the issue becomes training.

There is no quality ranges within Chicago.

Also,

for the Olympics, we could use a

Perminant Long Range Rifle Place in the Chicagoland area.

I always thought O'hare could support some type of mixed indoor/outdoor rifle range.

They have open space that goes around 1000 yards out a range of that caliber could be built. It would have to be public also.

Then the issue becomes training.

There is no quality ranges within Chicago.

Also,

for the Olympics, we could use a

Perminant Long Range Rifle Place in the Chicagoland area.

I always thought O'hare could support some type of mixed indoor/outdoor rifle range.

They have open space that goes around 1000 yards out a range of that caliber could be built. It would have to be public also.

They can hold the Olympic shooting at my place... I'll throw a barbecue and we'll get the Russians drunk!!!

Archived