Reports on Winnebago Board Meeting 6/10/08

Kenny

Slappy here, writing as Pohlms1...

We just came from the Winnebago County Board Subcommittee Meeting and it was a blast!

We had about 150 people show and up about 40 people spoke...

Here are the stats:

-of the 40 people that spoke, only 2, yes 2 were against us!!!

-We were able to turn 2 board members to our cause! They are: Dorothy Redd and Bob Hastings!

-We were able to get about a hundred to sign our petition and blew through the buttons ASAP.

-The Sheriff, Dick Meyers, was the last speaker and brought us to a standing ovation! He was brilliant and I'd like to see the media edit that!!!

-Outside of this, we were able to give interviews to local news stations and I will be doing an interview on WNTA on wednesday.

It was a great time and everyone was on board.

After speaking with some of the Board members, we have confirmed that THIS WILL PASS! It should no longer be an issue passing it. Now the Sheriff has to issue a CCW permit and the state government will immediately sue!

Right now, I am at a local bar with Pohlms1, Big Chris, Buzzard and Mrs. Buzzard, Don Gwinn, Traken, and yours truly, Slappy.

Ellewintz, Jbomb, Blacksmith, Cberan also showed up, and thanks to everyone I missed!

It was great and we are all charged up!!!

We've got this nailed people... just keep the pressure on!!!

Slappy

UPDATE:

Forgot to mention that ISRA Vice President, MikeW (on the site), showed up and spoke that they support the cause and like what we are doing.

Also State Rep Dave Winters showed support us but did not speak... maybe next time!

:thumbsup:

Slappy

Will the NRA get involved if this becomes a legal issue with the state sueing? I'd hate to see Winnebago county bankrupted by the state in a legal battle for something that should be legal in the first place.

We believe and hope the NRA will jump in as will the ISRA but nothing is confirmed from what I understand...

The board members I spoke say they have the lawyer lined up already once the county is sued after issueing the first CCW permit...

Slappy

Did someone video it? I'd love to see it.

I gave a live interview on WIFR at 5pm and was told they would put it up online.

Many local news media were there including:

WIFR, WREX, WTVO, WNTA radio, Register Star Newspaper, Rock River Times, Fox 39, and others

We were able to get supporters to talk to almost all of these organizations!!!

If anyone can find video on WIFR of the 5pm live or Fox 39 that would be great...

When I get home from Rockford, I will look myself...

Slappy

Did someone video it? I'd love to see it.

I gave a live interview on WIFR at 5pm and was told they would put it up online.

Many local news media were there including:

WIFR, WREX, WTVO, WNTA radio, Register Star Newspaper, Rock River Times, Fox 39, and others

We were able to get supporters to talk to almost all of these organizations!!!

If anyone can find video on WIFR of the 5pm live or Fox 39 that would be great...

When I get home from Rockford, I will look myself...

Slappy

Not on there as of 8:50 pm :thumbsup:

We believe and hope the NRA will jump in as will the ISRA but nothing is confirmed from what I understand...

The board members I spoke say they have the lawyer lined up already once the county is sued after issueing the first CCW permit...

Slappy

Folks:

I can't begin to tell you how happy, and proud I am about all this.

But this post brought something to mind....

Clearly it was discussed, and clearly it's anticipated that the state will sue the county. Are the board members who have committed a YES vote on board with this?

Second, on what information are you so sure they would sue? Could it also be that they will simply declare the county's action illegal under state law, and inform ISP officers to arrest anyone carrying and charge them with UUW or AUUW?

This is the interesting part of this movement. It's where the rubber meets the road.

Slappy

Folks:

I can't begin to tell you how happy, and proud I am about all this.

But this post brought something to mind....

Clearly it was discussed, and clearly it's anticipated that the state will sue the county. Are the board members who have committed a YES vote on board with this?

Second, on what information are you so sure they would sue? Could it also be that they will simply declare the county's action illegal under state law, and inform ISP officers to arrest anyone carrying and charge them with UUW or AUUW?

This is the interesting part of this movement. It's where the rubber meets the road.

I guess time will tell.Doesn't matter if they say it's illegal,as the ball is rolling.I'm so giddy I almost wet myself. :frantics:

I just joined this group after the meeting tonight. I have to share something with everyone. After my wife and I left the meeting we went to a local Mexican resturaunt. We were still wearing the "CAP" buttons and the "I support concealed carry" buttons. When I was paying the bill the owner told me that there were too many guns on the street. I told him "yes there are too many ILLEGAL guns on the street. There needs to be more legal guns in the hands of law abiding citizens" After that we had a nice conversation. And he admitted that I had some good points. After that we went next door to the Video store and the buttons got us into a conversation with the clerk. He had no idea that Illinois and Wisconsin were the only states that didn't allow concealed carry. It did a lot to spread the word. Thanks for the conversation starters. I'll see everyone in two weeks.

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to say thank you to all those who attended tonight. NOW, that the ball is rolling...we must keep it going.

I think we should all thank the Sheriff Dick Meyers, his speech was outstanding. There is no denying that he is on our side.

I was pretty amazed that Sheriff Meyers stood up and said what he said. Up until this time he has been totally neutral. He said "If you would have asked me about concealed carry 20 years ago, I would have been against it, but times have changed" He fully and whole heartedly supports this resolution.

To you Sheriff Meyers, I tip my hat to you! Thank you for your support and you will have my vote for however long you choose to run in this county.

Tim G.

I just joined this group after the meeting tonight. I have to share something with everyone. After my wife and I left the meeting we went to a local Mexican resturaunt. We were still wearing the "CAP" buttons and the "I support concealed carry" buttons. When I was paying the bill the owner told me that there were too many guns on the street. I told him "yes there are too many ILLEGAL guns on the street. There needs to be more legal guns in the hands of law abiding citizens" After that we had a nice conversation. And he admitted that I had some good points. After that we went next door to the Video store and the buttons got us into a conversation with the clerk. He had no idea that Illinois and Wisconsin were the only states that didn't allow concealed carry. It did a lot to spread the word. Thanks for the conversation starters. I'll see everyone in two weeks.

Welcome to the forum and the "fight",cisham.

I am sending THANK YOU's to each and every one of you the supported us tonight. It doesn't matter if you were there or not, I know where your hearts were. The speakers were awesome and words can't explain the impact the Sheriff made. He surprised everyone. I wish I could have met up with everyone afterwards at Rascals but when I finished talking to everyone afterwards it was getting late for these old bones. I do want to say this about the concerns mentioned above about a law suit..."Bring "em On...I doubt we can be sued as board members but if we can, there are plenty of supporters out there that will be with us as things get tough. In my 56 years here in Winnebago County, I have never been so proud of a group of people. I spoke with many of you for a short while and felt a connection that will last a life time...OK, the mushy stuff is over and we move forward to pass this resolution and see where the rubber meets the road. To all my new friends, Conceal And Protect!!!!

Fred Wescott....if there were only more politicians like you. You are a real person and that means the world. Thank you.

People, it's things like this, efforts like this, people like YOU who have made the critical momentum for state concealed carry in the other states.

Now....it is happening in Illinois. Finally.

Keep it moving and against any possible odds.

Hat's off to all!!

I am sending THANK YOU's to each and every one of you the supported us tonight. It doesn't matter if you were there or not, I know where your hearts were. The speakers were awesome and words can't explain the impact the Sheriff made. He surprised everyone. I wish I could have met up with everyone afterwards at Rascals but when I finished talking to everyone afterwards it was getting late for these old bones. I do want to say this about the concerns mentioned above about a law suit..."Bring "em On...I doubt we can be sued as board members but if we can, there are plenty of supporters out there that will be with us as things get tough. In my 56 years here in Winnebago County, I have never been so proud of a group of people. I spoke with many of you for a short while and felt a connection that will last a life time...OK, the mushy stuff is over and we move forward to pass this resolution and see where the rubber meets the road. To all my new friends, Conceal And Protect!!!!

ALL RIGHT GUYS (AND GALS)! :hyper: :frantics: :clap: :clap: :clap:

THANK YOU ALL!

I just wanted to thank everyone who got the ball rolling on this. I was at most of the meeting and spoke. Unfortunately I missed the sheriff because after my little daughter realized anyone could get up there and talk she wanted to as well, LOL.

Fred, this country would be a far better place if all of our representatives remembered they are public servants and acted in the manor in which you do. It was a pleasure to meet you.

:frantics:

I just wanted to thank everyone who got the ball rolling on this. I was at most of the meeting and spoke. Unfortunately I missed the sheriff because after my little daughter realized anyone could get up there and talk she wanted to as well, LOL.

Fred, this country would be a far better place if all of our representatives remembered they are public servants and acted in the manor in which you do. It was a pleasure to meet you.

:frantics:

Pleasure was all mine, I appreciate your kind words. Politicians need to understand that they are supposed to serve the people.

Archived